You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 104>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:26am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Average goals per game as Ireland manager:

Mick McCarthy: 1.72
Jack Charlton: 1.36
Martin O'Neill: 1.36
Stephen Staunton: 1.35
Giovanni Trapattoni: 1.34
Johnny Giles: 1.28
Brian Kerr: 1.18
Eoin Hand: 1.17
Liam Tuohy: 1.10
Mick Meagan: 0.58

There were a more whipping boys back in McCarthy time. 5-0 against Lichtenstein twice. Similar enough with San Marino. Weaker sides have closed the gap 

Hardly, Lichtenstein are still getting walloped 4/5/6/7/8-0 by average sides. As are San Marino. We just havent faced them in some time.

Sure there was Gibraltar during 2016 we battered 7-0 and 4-0. Faroes 3/4-0 during 2014

I said this before under my two previous aliases, the Liechtenstein game was just a freak result, I think we had something like 24 or 30 shots on target. The ball just wouldn't go into the net, a bit like Germany in Dublin in 2015. Another day we would have easily won 3-4 nil- 

The point is a freak 0-0 in Lichtenstein with 24 shots on target > a dour 0-0 v Denmark with no attempts on goal. 
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:26am

Of the last 17 Sunderland managers, I wonder which one has the highest win ratio?

Did brilliantly to get SAFC promoted but was given feck all money to spend in the EPL.   
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

You’ll be a hard act to follow fam LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've decided to step down as head critic of the Irish manager.  My work is done.   I now hand the reigns over to whoever wants to bid for it.  Hans Moleman is the early bookies favourite.

You’ll be a hard act to follow fam LOL
Moleman is giving it a good go anyway LOL
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

[QUOTE=Gary McKay][QUOTE=Drumcondra 69er]Genuine question, are you a Man U fan?
LOL
Utd are my 92nd team in England.

What relevance has that ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 

Mick McCarthy didn't start Denis Irwin for a friendly game. 

This widespread grumbling about Mick not starting Irwin in a friendly in 1998 is absolutely fascinating. 

They got it wrong so.
Mick is a spoofer wait and see backward appointment blessed with a good squad previously and couldn't get the most out of them.
What will he do with this squad we don't even have a striker.
I fear the worst if they were going down this line should have got Big Sam.better manager simple as that

If he is a spoofer, why has he, at 59 still managed to maintain employment during all this time?

Secondly, Big Sam will not have a striker either!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jack Charlton dropped Denis Irwin for the World Cup last 16 game against Holland in Orlando. 

This widespread grumbling about Mick not starting Irwin in a friendly in 1998 is absolutely fascinating. 

They got it wrong so.
Mick is a spoofer wait and see backward appointment blessed with a good squad previously and couldn't get the most out of them.
I fear the worst if they were going down this line should have got Big Sam.better manager simple as that

If he is a spoofer, why has he, at 59 still managed to maintain employment during all this time?

At the top level Mick could never cut it has no trophy at this level to his name despite being there for years couldn't get s job at any top 10 club his level is the championship and thats what we are after opting for very disappointing. 
I know dam well Sam wouldn't have a striker it was more a comparison to the last time Mick incharge.
And Sam is still a better Manager than Mick
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:32am

They got it wrong so.

At the top level Mick could never cut it has no trophy at this level to his name despite being there for years couldn't get s job at any top 10 club his level is the championship and thats what we are after opting for very disappointing. 
I know dam well Sam wouldn't have a striker it was more a comparison to the last time Mick incharge.

His record of getting a tune out of average champiinship players is very good. Let's be honest a lot of out team is average lower end Premier league players with a spattering of Championship players. If you want a manager to get the best out of an average group you could do a lot worse than Mick McCarthy. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

A lot of discussion about Mick but he was one of the most experienced of the rumoured available names. A lower EPL / Championship manager for the last 15 years and there's never been a year when he wasn't managing a team.

It's to his credit too that he only managed three clubs during that period. It suggests he gets on well with owners, players and fans.

The thing is as I just said above Mick has a good record of getting a tune out of championship and lower end Premier league players. He is steady and solid. He is what we need right now- an experienced man who knows the job and has a track record at club level of getting average players playing above themselves. We have an average group at the minute in dire need of structure and organisation. Mick will bring that to the table. I like Stephen Kenny and last November he would have been my choice. But now being pragmatic with euro qualifiers just around the corner and the team in disarray Mick is a good choice 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:46am
I feel that giving the job to stephen kenny is like promoting somebody who manages in mcdonalds to a manager in the westin.
Kenny has done marvellous at dundalk but he (or a.n.other) needs to be brought in like engerland did with southgate, give him the u21's job and work with them until they and the manager are ready to step up to the senior team. maybe this is what the fai are looking to do with giving mick a 2 year contract. 1.2million a year is a big salary though.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

LOL

Because obviously if you have an issue with McCarthy taking over you must therefore be Roy Keane's lovechild. From there the logic goes that you must also be a United fan, and you were greatly upset by what happened Roy in Saipan. 

I too am a United fan now because I am strongly against McCarthys appointment LOL this is the only logical explanation. It couldn't be that I don't rate McCarthy as a manager, or that McCarthys time long since come and gone. Or that there are endless other top qualified people around who could do the job on what is a huge salary. No, the only logical conclusion here is that anyone opposed to our Mick coming back loves Roy and is bitter over Saipan.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:11am
Lads, no one is arguing thst Mick is a bad manager, but if you can't see the very clear similarities between him and MON you're deluding yourselves. Both are the type of managers who will be able to reorganise a team and get a temporary lift in fortunes from them, but in terms of sustainable progress they will come up short. They just aren't capable of making that "next step" in the development of a team, away from being merely solid and towards being more progressive. 

Id' actually argue that that there is a striking correlation between the job Mick did at Ipswich and the job MON did with Ireland. They both came into teams that were in a tailspin, and they steadied the ship and made them difficult to beat. Off the back of that, Mick got Ipswich to the playoffs and MON got Ireland to the Euros. Unfortunately though, rather than being able to build on that success (or even sustain it), both teams succumbed to a slow decline whereby their tactics became more and more negative, to the point that they scarcely tried to do anything more than sit back and hope for the best. Ultimately, both managers ended up despised by their respective fanbases due to the perception that they were destroying their teams' morale/future; and they were removed off the back of that pressure. They really are uncannily similar stories....
We're decent enough..
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:14am

Fact: Mick McCarthy's 2002 team scored twice as many goals as any other Ireland team has ever managed at a major finals and at least three times more goals than four of Ireland's major tournament teams.

They were also the only Ireland team to ever end up with a positive tournament goal difference (+3) and the only Ireland team to not lose a match in a major finals tournament.

In 16 matches in the 2002 World Cup campaign, Ireland only lost one - a meaningless 1-0 reverse in garbage time in Iran which qualified us for the finals. 

Mick McCarthy's men took on and faced down the might of Germany, Holland, Spain and Portugal - undefeated, unbowed.

Glory days indeed. 

Stats are all well and and the 2002 campaign was great for sure.
But the 98 campaign was embarrassing, we had the easiet group imaginable and we somehow messed it up. 

00 campaign, we did well to finish second and overall everything seemed to conspire against us to not qualify. But we also didn't help ourselves by bottling it in a couple of games at the death.

2002, we took results off teams who would have generally been expecting to beat us. But we also got results after generally courages performances where we were hanging in there. 
Holland away, after going 2-0 we were holding on for the draw at the end.
Portugal away, we were second best but great goal got us the draw.
Portugal home, we were also second best against a classy side but good draw for us.
Holland home, somehow we weren't beaten and picked up a freak win.
Cameroon were all over us for most of the game and kind of bottled it.
Germany, we deserved the draw for sure , even though it took a last minute goal. 
Saudi Arabia were sh*t
Spain we were hanging on in the first half. Grew into the game in second half. Got a lucky peno (was a foul but hardly ever see given). We were the  more lively team in extra time and maybe should have won it and maybe could have if the bench had realized they were down to 10.

2004, disaster start with 2 defeats made it an uphill task for Kerr to qualify us

Edited by t_rAndy - 24 Nov 2018 at 11:17am
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:17am
Correct. An awful lot of similarities in that regard. Amazing to hear somebody speak of how the Ipswich fans absolutely hated him by the end due to his style of football! If you were to just base your thoughts on McCarthys style of football from comments on this thread you'd think he was Michels, Cruyff and Guardiola rolled into one.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

LOL

Just curious. Everyone I know who's used the exact arguments you were has been a Man u fan. Thought there might have been a memo sent out . Wink
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Correct. An awful lot of similarities in that regard. Amazing to hear somebody speak of how the Ipswich fans absolutely hated him by the end due to his style of football! If you were to just base your thoughts on McCarthys style of football from comments on this thread you'd think he was Michels, Cruyff and Guardiola rolled into one.

Nobody is suggesting that at all. 

People are saying he's a track record of getting average players to be the sum of more than there parts. That's it. How many of those Ipswich fans would have him back now as they prop up the championship? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:38am

They got it wrong so.

What trophies did Big Sam win?

Sunderland, Wolves and Ipswich are teams not expecting to win trophies.

I do believe that both are good managers and both would get the best out of their players too.

And to be honest, I'd be quite content with Big Sam, or Kenny in charge but Mick got the nod.

Edited by horsebox - 24 Nov 2018 at 11:38am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:41am
It’s not an exciting appointment and we should know pretty quickly depending on the draw say by June after 4 games if it’s the right decision 

The one right decision was to get rid of MON and for that we shoukd all be grateful - at least there is hope now ( and yes I know it’s the hope that gets you )

Edited by Newryrep - 24 Nov 2018 at 11:44am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 104>
  Share Topic