Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 104>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

No problem with mick  - he’s a gent- should have had the Irish gig when MON got it 

We'd have still got the same football as under MON. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:30pm
No problem with mick  - he’s a gent- should have had the Irish gig when MON got it 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I havent heard the commentary from today’s game, but i haven’t heard anything like that from McCarthy either during the Bulgaria game, in his media work, or when he was manager. In fact, I’ve only ever heard him say good stuff about Kenny.

Bit of wishful thinking sometimes when people imagine McCarthy as some kind of arsehole. Anybody who knows him will tell you he is a very decent and fair-minded man.

I didn't hear him on Thursday but heard him today and dunno what people are getting their knickers in a twist over. He was complimentary about Kenny. Said Ireland needed to get the ball into wide positions and get crosses in a few times. Wow. People are desperate to be offended these days and the social media echo chambers they spend their online time in exaggerate that tenfold. And it's far from unusual to have an ex manager commentating on his former team's game. 

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist. However, you don't really believe that the commentary today was any way insightful, do you?

Mick is a very decent and fair man. That is why I am surprised he took the gig on sky. For me it wasn't what he was saying (which wasn't terribly interesting) it was the fact that he was there. The decent thing to do would be to take a step back for a period and avoid putting yourself in a position when you are publicly commenting on your successor. Can you imagine having big Jack doing co-commentary with George in 1996. 

No, I didn't find it insightful and I wouldn't expect that on Sky anyway, find their analysis bland on anything they cover. Plenty were getting their knickers in a twist on twitter about it though. 

Jack did co-commentary or analysis on our games in the UK after he left. McCarthy isn't doing it on RTE. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 11 Oct 2020 at 10:30pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
grabli View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grabli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:03pm

I havent heard the commentary from today’s game, but i haven’t heard anything like that from McCarthy either during the Bulgaria game, in his media work, or when he was manager. In fact, I’ve only ever heard him say good stuff about Kenny.

Bit of wishful thinking sometimes when people imagine McCarthy as some kind of arsehole. Anybody who knows him will tell you he is a very decent and fair-minded man.

I didn't hear him on Thursday but heard him today and dunno what people are getting their knickers in a twist over. He was complimentary about Kenny. Said Ireland needed to get the ball into wide positions and get crosses in a few times. Wow. People are desperate to be offended these days and the social media echo chambers they spend their online time in exaggerate that tenfold. And it's far from unusual to have an ex manager commentating on his former team's game. 

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist. However, you don't really believe that the commentary today was any way insightful, do you?

Mick is a very decent and fair man. That is why I am surprised he took the gig on sky. For me it wasn't what he was saying (which wasn't terribly interesting) it was the fact that he was there. The decent thing to do would be to take a step back for a period and avoid putting yourself in a position when you are publicly commenting on your successor. Can you imagine having big Jack doing co-commentary with George in 1996. 
.    Jack commentated on Belgium play off game in 1997 for chanel 5 in the uk
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm

Agree just does not seem right. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Basically he has got the hump because the commentators keep mentioning moving on the style of play and he is taking offence.

I was very surprised he took up the offer to commentate on our games.  I think he has done all of our games. Its a conflict of interest really.

Yeah far too imbalanced. 

They should get somebody impartial to do the job. Somebody like Martin ONeill would be good. 

Commentator: ''Of course Stephen KEnny is trying to impart a passing game rather than the long hoofball they have employed in years past.''

MON: ''Hold on now.  I have won 2 European Cups.  Not 1 but 2.  I remember Fred Flintstone got criticised for being a caveman. He didn't do too bad. Did he?  Howard Wilkinson got criticsed for playing long ball. He said 'he played winning football.  Is there any other?'  No hold on, let me finish...  You are sat there making remarks about the likes of myself.  Maybe, just maybe, we weren't too bad.  Don't worry, I'm only serious.''

LOL

Christ im so glad that regime is over 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Basically he has got the hump because the commentators keep mentioning moving on the style of play and he is taking offence.

I was very surprised he took up the offer to commentate on our games.  I think he has done all of our games. Its a conflict of interest really.

Yeah far too imbalanced. 

They should get somebody impartial to do the job. Somebody like Martin ONeill would be good. 

Commentator: ''Of course Stephen KEnny is trying to impart a passing game rather than the long hoofball they have employed in years past.''

MON: ''Hold on now.  I have won 2 European Cups.  Not 1 but 2.  I remember Fred Flintstone got criticised for being a caveman. He didn't do too bad. Did he?  Howard Wilkinson got criticsed for playing long ball. He said 'he played winning football.  Is there any other?'  No hold on, let me finish...  You are sat there making remarks about the likes of myself.  Maybe, just maybe, we weren't too bad.  Don't worry, I'm only serious.''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:50pm

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:42pm
Listened to him on Thursday and didn’t hear anything wrong with what he was saying
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:40pm

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
The commentator mentioned something about their new style of play, and Mick came in with something along the lines of ‘it’s not too different to what they’re used to’. 
And then saying Shane Long would have been in his squads if he wasn’t injured. Think he just wasn’t picked for a few. 
The dark side.. And the light
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:36pm

Yeah far too imbalanced. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:29pm

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

His commentary today was awful, very petty stuff, made a lot of comments belitling the new style of football, how we need to get balls in the box, how Ireland only score through crosses etc. In some ways, he was probably put in a bad position commentating on a team he had just left, sky shouldn't have had him there. Very glad we're rid of him if that's how he feels about football.

Wouldn't say it was awful but the commentary in general was very poor. The commentator seemed to go missing for large chunks and there were needless silences. All three missed Molumby's run. Danny and Mick having the polite chats was ok but didn't really lend anything to what was going on with the game. I don't think it is appropriate for Mick to be doing co-commentary so close to his own exit.

Phil Babb speaking again about 'Duffer' also grated. The whole sky experience reminds me how lucky we are to have George Hamilton. I am even warming to Richie Sadlier. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

His commentary today was awful, very petty stuff, made a lot of comments belitling the new style of football, how we need to get balls in the box, how Ireland only score through crosses etc. In some ways, he was probably put in a bad position commentating on a team he had just left, sky shouldn't have had him there. Very glad we're rid of him if that's how he feels about football.

Why would you expect sky not to want the former manager to do the comm?

Mick said Ireland can only score from crosses? Where did he get such a bizarre idea?

Edited by Dots1982 - 11 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:15pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
Commentating on the Swansea game. Swansea score late and he encourages them to go for another in his commentary. 

Da fuq. Come off it now Mick and this was said with his "manager hat on" LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 104>
  Share Topic