You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fooking car hire companies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Revolut Cards. Is there anything thry cant do?
Drive you around in your hire car...
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:49pm

Anyone book using Car hire excess.com? What are they like?  Instead of paying hefty insurance for excess at the desk?  Any hidden things they wont pay up on if I plump for this?

Yes I use them. I have had their policy coverage for the past two years without the need to contact them regarding a claim. I booked a hire car at least half a dozen times last year and four times so far this year.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:20pm
Was in England last weekend, hired a car for a few days.
No problems.

But when I dropped it back to the airport the guy who took the car back went quite quickly to the rear passenger door and said there was a dent.
I had a look and couldn’t see it at first, but then noticed a nice clean circular dent (no scratch or missing paint).
The sun was blaring, the car was spotless so I knew it was probably a set up as he’d need amazing vision to spot it.
I played it cool and said “no problem, I took loads of photos of the car when I picked it up”.
I had taken 18 photos when I collected it.
I found the one with the rear door and because the sun was also blaring when I picked it up, it made it difficult to see such a small dent, the sunshine and contours of the car produced streaks and sunshine rays in the photo.
He had a good look at the photo and was really taking his time.
I told him to take all the time in the world, told him my flight wasn’t until the next day and that I was staying in an airport hotel across the road, and that I’d pop back over anytime.
His delaying tactic is designed to make you sweat because you have a flight to catch.
I was actually flying out 2 hours later.
I said there were subtle bodywork variations in the first photo taken so I would not be paying any damage fee.
Eventually after a long wait he agreed that I wouldn’t have to pay anything (he said it would actually cost £500 to repair)......not my problem I said.
As soon as we walked away two of his colleagues came over to him very quickly, probably asking had he got me to pay £500 for an existing dent.

Today’s lesson is:

Take dozens of photos from all angles (if it proves you did actually do the damage well fair is fair), but it should stop you from being scammed.
If you think it is a scam, tell them there is no rush, you are flying out the next day, and that you can come back to speak with the manager.
Watch them like a hawk when they take the car back.

Take out excess insurance cover in case you did do the damage!!
€3 a day, it’s worth it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Was in England last weekend, hired a car for a few days.
No problems.

But when I dropped it back to the airport the guy who took the car back went quite quickly to the rear passenger door and said there was a dent.
I had a look and couldn’t see it at first, but then noticed a nice clean circular dent (no scratch or missing paint).
The sun was blaring, the car was spotless so I knew it was probably a set up as he’d need amazing vision to spot it.
I played it cool and said “no problem, I took loads of photos of the car when I picked it up”.
I had taken 18 photos when I collected it.
I found the one with the rear door and because the sun was also blaring when I picked it up, it made it difficult to see such a small dent, the sunshine and contours of the car produced streaks and sunshine rays in the photo.
He had a good look at the photo and was really taking his time.
I told him to take all the time in the world, told him my flight wasn’t until the next day and that I was staying in an airport hotel across the road, and that I’d pop back over anytime.
His delaying tactic is designed to make you sweat because you have a flight to catch.
I was actually flying out 2 hours later.
I said there were subtle bodywork variations in the first photo taken so I would not be paying any damage fee.
Eventually after a long wait he agreed that I wouldn’t have to pay anything (he said it would actually cost £500 to repair)......not my problem I said.
As soon as we walked away two of his colleagues came over to him very quickly, probably asking had he got me to pay £500 for an existing dent.

Today’s lesson is:

Take dozens of photos from all angles (if it proves you did actually do the damage well fair is fair), but it should stop you from being scammed.
If you think it is a scam, tell them there is no rush, you are flying out the next day, and that you can come back to speak with the manager.
Watch them like a hawk when they take the car back.

Take out excess insurance cover in case you did do the damage!!
€3 a day, it’s worth it.

Yes its a scam and they are on commission no doubt to catch you out. 

I was in the UK and flew into Liverpool for a few days.  Rented off a bunch of cowboys called GreenMotion.  Arrive at airport and expect to see a GreenMotion desk.  Ask around and none to be found.  Turns out they are about 1 km from the airport.  Eventually get the car and take sh*t load of photos.  To be honest this is only good for major scratches or dents as like you say its very easy to miss something tiny if the light is unfavourable.   Anyway the car fuel thing is empty with the light on. They say bring it back the level you get it. This is the 1st time I have ever been given a car without full tank.  Anyway they wanted to charge somethign ridiculous like 500 beans if you bring it back less!  Also they had a trip limited mileage of 280 miles which is also ridiculous. Hefty penalties if you go over this. Luckily I wasn't going far.  There was an Aussie couple int here and they hired a car for 5 weeks! And yer man was telling them they could only travel a certain amount of miles something like 1000 which isnt much of you are driving around the UK for 5 weeks.

Anyway I didn't get caught out or anything but I was lucky.  I hadn't noticed a scuff on the inside of the rear passenger door.  Someone had scuffed and left permanent marks on the plastic.  Thankfully yer man hadn't inspected inside as he seemed in a rush himself.  I had forgotten to check the inside of the car when picking it up.  I had the carhireexcess.com insurance anyway but I would have been charged and would have had to go through the hassle of reclaiming it.

Moral of the story:  Check inside and outside, take photo of mileage on car and fuel when picking up car. Check the undercarriage if possible and the wheels to the nth degree.  Any scratches on the alloys and they will rape you.  But ultimately there is little you can do to fully protect yourself bar taking out the full insurance. If they know where to look for the least amount of damage they will try to blame it on you.  Oh and also make sure to note if the car has hubcaps or missing parts (see page 1)
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:56am
You got stung before TJ did you not?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You got stung before TJ did you not?

Yep see page 1.

Luckily  I had booked online with Carhire3000 (now called rentalcars.com) and had paid extra for full cover with them (unknowingly) and when I complained to them they said they would reimburse me.

Basically I had rented some Vauxhall yoke and there were no hubcaps on it.  Thought nothing of it as I had seen rental cars with no hub caps before.  When I dropped it back it they said the hubcaps were gone and also said thee was a silver plastic strip missing from the boot and showed me another Vauxhall car what it should look like with it on.  I wasn't too familar with Vauxhall cars and when I picked up the car never thought of inspecting it for missing parts, merely scratches and dents etc.. 
Anyway I had the car for 2  days and was pretty careful.  I was pretty sure I had picked the car up that way.  Anyway the whole thing was an obvious set up. When I didn't take out the full insurance they knew I was to be taken advantage of. 

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:52am
who with GB1 ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

who with GB1 ?

Avis/Budget
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:41pm

No need for the hysteria ffs. Just read the t&c's. booking through those 3rd party websites can be dodge...best to go direct.

Edited by colemanY2K - 20 Jul 2018 at 3:44pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
Surely the moral of the story is to look at the multiple reviews online for each company and pick the one that seems the best and has the best reputation?
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:35pm
The moral of the story is just pay the excess and then you don't have to sh*t yourself at every minute of the day.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

The moral of the story is just pay the excess and then you don't have to sh*t yourself at every minute of the day.

The excess is a bit excessive

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Surely the moral of the story is to look at the multiple reviews online for each company and pick the one that seems the best and has the best reputation?

Most reviews are pretty bad from my experience.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Most reviews are pretty bad from my experience.

That's because most people are thick and don't read the t&c's. I've rented cars several dozen times in the past 3 years. Its like Ryanair, if you know how to play the game you won't get stung.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

No need for the hysteria ffs. Just read the t&c's. booking through those 3rd party websites can be dodge...best to go direct.

I went direct through Budget/Avis.
They would be considered a marquee brand.
They tried to pull a fast one.

Next question?
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:58pm
if you are flying into Malaga try malagacar, five mins from the terminal building by minibus. Use them three or four times a year with no issues.  They have 3 price points,  I always use the middle one. I also have a annual excess policy, have a code for 10% discount 👍
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:00pm
Alamo and Europcar are dodgy coonts

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:39pm

Alamo and Europcar are dodgy coonts

Used Alamo in the states a few times they were fine 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic