Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=16813
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: fooking car hire companies
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: fooking car hire companies
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:19pm

Got raped today by alamo car hire. Was in london for a couple of days. Rented out some vauxhall at gatwick. I think it may have been a meriva. Anyway gave it the once over to see if any dents in it that were unreported. There werent so i drove off.  Dropped it back earlier today in perfect nick. Handed the keys to the alamo girl that inspects for new damage.  She looks at it and says there was a black bit of plastic missing from the boot door. I didnt know what she was on about. She then compares it to the same model car with the strip. Only then do i realise that my car  hadnt got the strip when i picked it up. You wouldnt cop that it was supposed to have one.  She said since i hadnt reported it they would have to charge me. They have charged me 600 ponds sterling for this and have already charged it to my credit card.Angry I can appeal but i will be turned down.  I was fooking furious. Its all a scam.  The thieving fookers!!!!!!!Angry

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: peterIreland
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:20pm
Surely to god they have to consult you before they take the amount from your card?

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:35pm
they said ''im sorry there's nothing we can do'' and have charged me. Its a scam. They already had my card details you see.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:37pm
I'd contact the gardaí or even consult a solicitor on the matter,

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: peterIreland
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:39pm
I would be appealing the sh*t out of that if I were you

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 6:40pm
im ringing up the bank tomorrow. And those coonts at alamo. Wonder if cancelling the credit card would work.

-------------

Posted By: durka durka
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

im ringing up the bank tomorrow. And those coonts at alamo. Wonder if cancelling the credit card would work.

when you hire the car they block an amount on your credit card, this is the insurance excess (usually about €1200 depending on the type of cover you take) This basically gives them pre approval to take up the amount from your card when the vehicle is returned.

I'd be getting them to check it out, maybe the driver who had it before you was also charged for it.

when you contact alamo tell them you want to see the rental history of the vehicle and any damage reports associated with it

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 4:15am
Originally posted by durka durka durka durka wrote:

when you hire the car they block an amount on your credit card, this is the insurance excess (usually about €1200 depending on the type of cover you take) This basically gives them pre approval to take up the amount from your card when the vehicle is returned.

I'd be getting them to check it out, maybe the driver who had it before you was also charged for it.

when you contact alamo tell them you want to see the rental history of the vehicle and any damage reports associated with it

Ok will do. I didnt take out the insurance to remove the excess. Have I no comeback?

-------------

Posted By: durka durka
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 7:04am
same thing happened me in kuwait, Our company cars were with AVIS car hire, the first car they gave me the A/C unit blew up so i had to get a replacement. When i was dropping the replacement back they told me the spare wheel was missing. I had never used it and no one else had used the car only me, but because i didnt check i had to fork out for a new wheel.

If i were you i'd fight it tooth and nail, you never know you might get lucky

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 7:16am

Had a similar, if less expensive experience with a crowd called Targarent last year in Italy. We drove to the match in Bari and were due to leave the car in Naples airport a few days later. The time on the return was 11am. Our flight was at 12.15, so we got to the airport about 10.15. Into the car hire park anyway, not one of the offices were open (Hertz, Avis etc) but there was a courtesy bus there, and the driver told us to stick the keys in the box on the Targarent door. We did, all went well til we got home, I saw the credit card charged for an extra €95.

Rang them to see what the story was, I had been charged an extra days rental for not having the car back on time (WTF?) and €25 because it was not full of petrol. Deisedevil had filled it that morning approx 15km away from the airport, and there were no petrol stations at the airport, it could not have cost the f**kers more than €3 to fill it up.
I argued this with them for ages, had to send me Aer Lingus flight itineary to prove I was in the airport earlier, I asked them what time were they claiming I returned the car at (because I was thinking of sueing them for fraudWink), eventually they conceded they didn't 'find' the car until 11am the next morning. Explained the petrol station situation, but they were having none of that. After 2 months and over a dozen angry e-mails, I was refunded for the extra days charge, but not the petrol money.
Avoid a crowd called carhire 3000 and especially Targarent.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 7:45am
I booked it through cahire3000.  These rental car companies are a disgrace. Was also told that if u have a puncture and replace the tyre but not the exact same model as was on it previously they also charge 600 quid even if its a top quality tyre you put on it.  I will be fighting this hard. I might wait til  i get my visa staement and then call the bank to say i did not sign for 600 they charged me and refuse to pay it.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 7:52am

Carhire 3000 againAngry. Reason we booked them was that they were cheaper than Hertz, Avis etc, but never again. Hired cars in USA off Avis, no problems, Hertz for the San Marino game a few years back, they even let us away with handing the van back with a quarter tank full because there was a petrol strike on, they would have been entitled to charge for it.

Cowboys of the highest order Trap, fight them all the way, but be prepared to have patience, they dont give in quickly in my experience.

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 8:13am
Yep, had a bad experience with Carhire 3000 too. They charged me €100 for petrol (1.80 per litre!) saying I'd brought the car back empty, when I'd brought it back full.
Clearly it was an administrative error, but they couldn't fix it and I never got the money back. Thank DOYC that I never had any bangs whilst hiring from them.

I recall twice scraping cars with Hertz and owning up to it on return and each time being told not to worry as the damage was minimal. I was never charged retrospectively.
Back with Hertz or Europcar now.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 5:31am
Just got a letter from Visa today saying since i signed a contract they cant dispute my case. This means i will have to fork out €635.  Fook sake. I never touched the car. Is there anything else i can do?

-------------

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 5:51am
Thats bollox man- rented a car in oz with one of me mates on his cc- the tyres were in bits when we dropped it back and fairly sure the gearbox was fooked aswel- the car hire company proceeded to take 3k out of me mates cc- me mate rang boi straight away going ballistic and after a few calls got his money back

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 5:57am
600notes seems fair Trap,cud be worse

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
im not biting on that one

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:07am

LOL

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

LOL
look all im saying is bits of black plastic arnt cheap anymore,not to mention the labour involved.....

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:18am
Solicitor, and as somebody mentioned, look for rental history, just make a real nuisance of your self for as long as possible, if there is a governinbody or association of car hire companies, complain like fook to them all

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:43am

Now about 7 years ago in Australia we rented a car just from Melbourne to Sydney we had to have it at the airport for 12 midday two days hence . Now seeing at the time we didn't have a credit card we had to put a $400 cash bond on it which would be given back to us when we returned the car . So got to Sydney around 11am and was told we don't have any money but if you take it to Kings Cross in the city they will have the cash for you . Now I told about the time thing and they said no worries ( as Aussies do ) so turn around 12.30 and Mr Poo face said eerrrrrr your late mate . No we were at the airport and they talked to you . No no no not me your going to have to pay the penalty . Mrs Claret said let me take care of this as she could see I was going to rip yer man's smiling head off , she got someone else involed behind the counter and we worked it out and left the shop . But me been me said outside who by this time had chewed through both of my lips said ohh wait a minute i left my pen in the shop I will just pop back and get it . Now I can't print what I said the the man but I left his have with both barrels without him ever getting a word in . Came back out as sai to Mrs Claret yer got the pen I  feel so much better for that It's only a cheap pen , hummmm yes I know with a smile on my face .  

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 7:06am
Im getting onto the car rental council of Ireland now and will take it from there.

AVOID ALAMO/EUROPCAR LIKE THE PLAGUE IS MY ADVICE

-------------

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 7:56am
Best thing you can do when you rent out a car is get the hire company representative to stand by the car and photo the sh*t out of each side of it. It will cover you for things like that, plus it wrecks their head too and they'll think twice about trying to make a claim against you.

Not good for you now TJ but for the rest of ye, it can save you a fortune. Car Hire companies are complete fookers

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:00am
Ring Davy Crockett - he was the last one to win a battle with Alamo Dead 

-------------

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:07am
its kinda your own fault when you only have basic insurance cause you leave yourself open to this crap.when you rent a car take full cover that way the excess is zero and you can dent the sh*te out of them. it normally costs between 10 and 12 a day but this stuff wont happen then

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by devondudley devondudley wrote:

its kinda your own fault when you only have basic insurance cause you leave yourself open to this crap.when you rent a car take full cover that way the excess is zero and you can dent the sh*te out of them. it normally costs between 10 and 12 a day but this stuff wont happen then

Im over in the UK up to 10 times a year. So gets very expensive taking out the extra insurance each time. if I actually did damage it would be no problem but i didnt put as much as a scratch on this thing.

-------------

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:49am

The few times I've rented cars abroad I've always paid cash, don't trust those dopes with my credit card.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:50am
Use enterprise myself. Absolutely spot on so far .

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 4:56am
Got an email off Europcar/Alamo this morning saying that I signed a contract and that I'll have to fork out €637.70.  I was on to the Car Rental Council of Ireland but they say I have to take it up with some equivalent organisation in the UK. I cant find any on the net. Any advice from the YBIG legal team?

-------------

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:03am

Got an email off Europcar/Alamo this morning saying that I signed a contract and that I'll have to fork out €637.70.  I was on to the Car Rental Council of Ireland but they say I have to take it up with some equivalent organisation in the UK. I cant find any on the net. Any advice from the YBIG legal team?

Could try these guys Trap

http://www.bvrla.co.uk/ - http://www.bvrla.co.uk/

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:13am
You know you could have just got Annual European Excess Insurance for only €64! That would have solved your problem!!

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

You know you could have just got Annual European Excess Insurance for only €64! That would have solved your problem!!

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:26am

Thanks Hornet I'll give em a try. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:36am

Is this true? Or are you sitting on a river bank?

-------------

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:43am

Got raped today by alamo car hire. Was in london for a couple of days. Rented out some vauxhall at gatwick. I think it may have been a meriva. Anyway gave it the once over to see if any dents in it that were unreported. There werent so i drove off.  Dropped it back earlier today in perfect nick. Handed the keys to the alamo girl that inspects for new damage.  She looks at it and says there was a black bit of plastic missing from the boot door. I didnt know what she was on about. She then compares it to the same model car with the strip. Only then do i realise that my car  hadnt got the strip when i picked it up. You wouldnt cop that it was supposed to have one.  She said since i hadnt reported it they would have to charge me. They have charged me 600 ponds sterling for this and have already charged it to my credit card.Angry I can appeal but i will be turned down.  I was fooking furious. Its all a scam.  The thieving fookers!!!!!!!Angry

get onto icebhoy 05. he will tell how how to deal with car hire companies in englandWinkLOL

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:46am
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

get onto icebhoy 05. he will tell how how to deal with car hire companies in englandWinkLOL

Why what did he do?LOL

-------------

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:44am

Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

Why what did he do?LOL

its been mentioned a few times in the "your funniest moment on tour" thread

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:45pm
Any recommendations for car hire stateside - prefer the well known ones but any preference

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:45pm

Is this true? Or are you sitting on a river bank?

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ - http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

http://www.carhireinsurance4u.com/ - http://www.carhireinsurance4u.com/

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:38pm
I ended up getting €550 back after fighting this for months.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:46pm

Good man TJ, I think the thing with these bastards is to not give in and wear them down. Took me about 3 months (for a far lesser amount). Why did they give in in the end?

-------------

Posted By: MintBerryCrunch
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:46pm

Fair play to ye, only seeing this now, horrible kunts!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:49pm

Can you elaborate on how did you get that money back?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:53pm

fair play trap.

but unfortunately you're probably an exception as most people wouldn't bother fighting that long to get their money back. If I were you I wouldn't give up until you got the rest back too.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
I booked thru a website called carhire 3000. After battling directly with alamo/europcar and getting no joy I just thought I'd ring up carhire3000 to see what they thought. Turns out when I booked the car I was covered for car excess insurance with car hire 3000 even though I hadnt taken out the insurance to remove the excess at the europcar desk when i picked up the car.  They gave europcar 28 days to show a repair invoice for the silver trim (even though i hadnt damaged a thing) and asked them how they can justify taking €637 from my account. So thats how I got a refund. I might go after the rest.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 4:05pm

I booked thru a website called carhire 3000. After battling directly with europcar and getting no joy I just thought I'd ring up carhire3000 to see what they thought. Turns out when I booked the car I was covered for car excess insurance with car hire 3000 even though I hadnt taken out the insurance to remove the excess at the europcar desk when i picked up the car.  They gave europcar 28 days to show a repair invoice for the silver trim (even though i hadnt damaged a thing) and asked them how they can justify taking €637 from my account. So thats how I got a refund. I might go after the rest.

I thought it might some have something to do with fake drivers listed on he car insurance LOL

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 4:40pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:36pm
I am going to Birmingham for 2 days in a couple of weeks time.  I booked through a company called 'Interrent' or 'Autoeurope'.  Anyone have any experience of these lads?  I took out full insurance but fooking hate car rental companies as they are frequently scammers who try to catch you out with tiny scratches etc..

Even with full insurance I am wary of these bastards.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:41pm
Enterprise are the cheapest out there and you can get excellent deals, havent heard anyone complaining about them, we use them for getting a van for our golf sim.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:42pm
I rented a car last year in Italy and they gave me the keys and went through the car in good detail - the chassis was damaged underneath the car.

I went back in and told them and they marked it on the rental agreement, they could have nailed me proper if I hadn't of sussed it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:45pm
Some of these cowboys are on commission to find damage I'm sure. Got done there 5 years back.  So I'm wary as f**k of these scheisters Horse.

Might have a look into Enterprise Bob.  Was googling Interrent and seems they have a shady reputation.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:06pm
I think with Enterprise if you book it early its very cheap but if you try it last minute then it's a lot more expensive. I'll chat to the fellah I work with as he books it and drives so he'd know better

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I rented a car last year in Italy and they gave me the keys and went through the car in good detail - the chassis was damaged underneath the car.

I went back in and told them and they marked it on the rental agreement, they could have nailed me proper if I hadn't of sussed it.

You slide under to have a looksie?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I think with Enterprise if you book it early its very cheap but if you try it last minute then it's a lot more expensive. I'll chat to the fellah I work with as he books it and drives so he'd know better

Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

You slide under to have a looksie?
No messing with Sham Travel in Barcelona Cool

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 8:42pm

I am going to Birmingham for 2 days in a couple of weeks time.  I booked through a company called 'Interrent' or 'Autoeurope'.  Anyone have any experience of these lads?  I took out full insurance but fooking hate car rental companies as they are frequently scammers who try to catch you out with tiny scratches etc..

Even with full insurance I am wary of these bastards.

If you have the full insurance and the excess then it doesnt matter if it sratched,crashed,wrote off whatever.

Got done badly when not taking the insurance twice in the past.Basically doubles the price but means you won't/can't get done.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 9:43pm
Any advice on booking a car in Vernona airport for 10 days.

I've been looking all week and it's 350e plus. I booked the same last year and got it over 125.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 1:47pm
ryanair website is good for car rental, thrifty hertz and firefly. 

make sure you understand the insurance either pay the extra for full cover or make sure you have the excess amount available to block on your card 

always bring them back full malaga tell you not to fill it and charge 90 notes even you only use a tiny bit you pay for tank so always bring back full. 

hertz and thrifty are same company since they got taken over so even though thrifty are cheaper you get same car as hertz and costs a bit cheaper, thats in uk anway 

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 2:48pm
Trap Jnr. Enterprise don't do rentals outside of Ireland.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Trap Jnr. Enterprise don't do rentals outside of Ireland.

Oh ok. But didnt them lads off Star Trek rent from them?

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 3:33pm
Some companies are now doing a "full to empty" policy where you have to return the tank empty but you get it full. It works for them two ways: 1) you have to pay their prices for filling the tank up and 2) they charge a set fee for the fuel even if you return it half full.

Just make sure they don't screw you that way.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:59am
Another bad experience had this week. Lads first off avoid Europcar like the plague. In the past I have rented from them from various locations and while they appear legit all the staff are shady as fook and try to con you out of money for damage and other sundries.
Anyway I rented through Autoeurope some sort of car hire broker online. Got the full excess cover with them. Arrived at Birmingham only to discover that the company I am to get the car from is Europcar. It didnt say this on my printouts. Just said "Interrent" which I thought was a car hire company. Once I knew it was Europcar I was thinking "here we go..." Dodgy coonts. First off the salesman at the desk tties his best to scarrmonger me into buying hefty insurance or I will leave myself open to thousands if I so much as scratch the car. I told.him I had the full excess remived on my booking through Autoeurope. I knew I had but he almost had me doubting myself. In the end I stood firm and resisted the additional insurance. He was claiming I wasnt insured (I was) as I had opted in for the full cover with Autoeurope. Anyway I videod the car just in case as these coonts are hungry and will try to deliberately screw you. I returned the car back perfect after 2 days and also took video in case the coonts tried to claim I damaged it.
The guy inspects it and says thats fine. Relief.

2 days later I am going through my visa bill and there is a charge for 349 euro from them. Rang them up to be told its a deposit. Hmm ok. They say they will refund it. Grand. Check again today and they have only refunded 337 euro. I checked the exchange rate and they should have refunded me either the full amount or 345 euro as of Friday I believe.

Maybe Superdave can help me here but can these fookers do me out of 12 euro unnecessarily? Its thr principal rather than the charge as these fookers tried to charge me 600 pounds before at Gatwick in a fraud.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 4:18pm
Dunno, is the answer. If your bank charge you for foreign transactions, maybe that 12 euro is about right. I mean, my bank charge me 2% on foreign transactions. So if I pay the equivalent of €340, my bank will charge my card €346.80. However, when I get refunded, I will only get refunded €340 minus 2%, so €333.20, a difference of €13.60. Obviously, over a couple of days, rates will move a little bit, but the amounts I've calculated are roughly the same as yours. It's not Europecar who have taken €12 off you I imagine, but your bank. I'm guessing they were sterling amounts on a euro account.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 4:48pm
I got a call from the car hire company asking why I didn't take the excess insurance and I told him I was going to take my chances and that in that last 10 years I've never had a crash.

He told me, he was going to take note that I am willing to take this risk.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:47pm
Never really had a bad experience with car hire and I've hired yokes out in Spain, Cyprus, UK. Also hired mopeds in Cyprus and Thailand and no issues either. Just check the car over fully, make sure the dopes have every last thing marked. Most times I've take out the full excess cover but not from them, usually through a 3rd party insurer and when they offer it on rental, I tell them I have taken it out. Also throw in alone that the reason I'm hiring through them this time is because their competitor (whichever springs to mind) tried ripping me off and I don't stand for that sh1t. Show these counts whose boss

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:54pm
Sham I have rented cars for the last 10 years regularly. I estimate 80-90% of the time there was no problem but you do come across dodgy coonts who are out to pull a fast one. Europcar are very dodgy especially in Gatwick. For example they might give you a car without hubcaps and you return it the same way and then they say "the hubcaps are missing thats 600 pounds". Or they find a tiny dent or scratch under the car that they knew was there and try to charge you the excess. Its fine to pay the insurance to remove the excess if you are only away a day or two but a week or more and it doubles or triples the cost of renting.

As I say video the car before and after and have proof in case they try to do you.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Dunno, is the answer. If your bank charge you for foreign transactions, maybe that 12 euro is about right. I mean, my bank charge me 2% on foreign transactions. So if I pay the equivalent of €340, my bank will charge my card €346.80. However, when I get refunded, I will only get refunded €340 minus 2%, so €333.20, a difference of €13.60. Obviously, over a couple of days, rates will move a little bit, but the amounts I've calculated are roughly the same as yours. It's not Europecar who have taken €12 off you I imagine, but your bank. I'm guessing they were sterling amounts on a euro account.

I called Visa today and they are refunding me the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:00pm

Sham I have rented cars for the last 10 years regularly. I estimate 80-90% of the time there was no problem but you do come across dodgy coonts who are out to pull a fast one. Europcar are very dodgy especially in Gatwick. For example they might give you a car without hubcaps and you return it the same way and then they say "the hubcaps are missing thats 600 pounds". Or they find a tiny dent or scratch under the car that they knew was there and try to charge you the excess. Its fine to pay the insurance to remove the excess if you are only away a day or two but a week or more and it doubles or triples the cost of renting.

As I say video the car before and after and have proof in case they try to do you.
undoubtedly TJ, but that goes for every walk of life. You can only do what you can do and videoing is a good start. In the UK which was mostly for work reason it was Hertz and they only glanced the thing and checked the fuel. I did actually clip a car in Majorca one year that I'd hired spur of the moment over there in a local place beside the apartments. Rented with cash and let a cash deposit as had no credit card. Dropped it back fearing the worst but yer wan just looks out the window, asks about the fuel which I had refilled. Cash handed back no probs.

Posted By: Ballycastle
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 9:21pm
Just on that lads is there much difference in the car hire companies? As I've never rented before and probably needs to get a car in Carcassonne in July so just wondering which one to go with

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 9:31pm
Can be a big diff in price. Best bet is just to search now. Book earlier and the cheaper it will be. Even if you get a price from hertz for example, try the car hire option from your airline, it could still be hertz but could get it a bit cheaper again. Look out for the small stuff too, do they want you to leave it back empty or full etc etc

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:40pm
Anyone book using Car hire excess.com? What are they like?  Instead of paying hefty insurance for excess at the desk?  Any hidden things they wont pay up on if I plump for this?

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:17pm
Use a debit card, Avis / Budget accept them and only take a £200 deposit in the UK. 

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Use a debit card, Avis / Budget accept them and only take a £200 deposit in the UK. 

Hmm. I have never heard of car hire companies giving you a car without a credit card as the plan is to fleece you for thousands if you as so much scratch the car.  They cant fleece you with a debit card.

-------------

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:37pm
A lot of them will tack a db.

Then it depends on the level of insurance you take out....usual divided in 3 categories. Let's call them bronze,silver,gold.

Bronze excess will be in the thousands and you will need that on your card for them to accept it.(expect to be fleeced if theres a scratch)

Silver,usual 2-500

Gold,0

The top insurance is usually more than the rental.Ive been caught before.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
I decided to just take the chance and go with carhireexcess.com.  They gave cover for 9 euro for 3 days rental.  The equivalent insurance on rentalcars.com witht he booking was 50 euro.  The booking itself was 22 euro!

So if you did it all with rentalcars.com  it would cost 72 euro
With the booking from rentalcars and the insurance from carhire excess the total is 31 euro. 

Just hope its not too good to be true!

-------------

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:05am

Anyone book using Car hire excess.com? What are they like?  Instead of paying hefty insurance for excess at the desk?  Any hidden things they wont pay up on if I plump for this?

Read the T&C.
If the claim is genuine, and you follow their T&C’s, they have to pay.
I have paid for it regularly (€3 per day approx for Europe) but never had to make a claim.
The car hire company will take anywhere from €1,000 to €2,500 approx from your credit card if you do proper damage.
You then submit a claim with Carhireexcess when you get home to try and get your money back.
Make sure you have all the details of the “incident” when you send in your claim.
Take a lot of photos of the car (wheels, locks, bumpers) when you get it in the car hire car park.
Take a photo of the dash when the engine is turned on to record the mileage, and to see if any warning lights were on when you got the car.
If the incident involves another vehicle, call the police, you’ll more than likely need a police report.
Have the excess company phone number on your mobile.
Ring them straight away and tell them what has happened, don’t wait until you get home to ring them, get a claim reference number, take loads of photos of the car at the scene of the damage, ask them exactly what you need to do.
Keep all the email confirmations of your original booking of the car hire, accommodation booking, flights booking etc.
Keep all receipts.
If you’re under the influence, or were driving recklessly, you’re fooked.

We had a claim years ago that came to about €5,000 while abroad.
It wasn’t to do with a car, but the travel insurance company’s list of requirements was very long.
We posted in all the forms/receipts, when I phoned for a progress report, they said they never received anything, luckily I had photocopied everything and hand delivered the next envelope to their office.
Got every penny back.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:18am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Read the T&C.
If the claim is genuine, and you follow their T&C’s, they have to pay.
I have paid for it regularly (€3 per day approx for Europe) but never had to make a claim.
The car hire company will take anywhere from €1,000 to €2,500 approx from your credit card if you do proper damage.
You then submit a claim with Carhireexcess when you get home to try and get your money back.
Make sure you have all the details of the “incident” when you send in your claim.
Take a lot of photos of the car (wheels, locks, bumpers) when you get it in the car hire car park.
Take a photo of the dash when the engine is turned on to record the mileage, and to see if any warning lights were on when you got the car.
If the incident involves another vehicle, call the police, you’ll more than likely need a police report.
Have the excess company phone number on your mobile.
Ring them straight away and tell them what has happened, don’t wait until you get home to ring them, get a claim reference number, take loads of photos of the car at the scene of the damage, ask them exactly what you need to do.
Keep all the email confirmations of your original booking of the car hire, accommodation booking, flights booking etc.
Keep all receipts.
If you’re under the influence, or were driving recklessly, you’re fooked.

We had a claim years ago that came to about €5,000 while abroad.
It wasn’t to do with a car, but the travel insurance company’s list of requirements was very long.
We posted in all the forms/receipts, when I phoned for a progress report, they said they never received anything, luckily I had photocopied everything and hand delivered the next envelope to their office.
Got every penny back.

Thanks man.  Usually take photos.  Never thought of taking the dash.  The fookers caught me before (see pg 1).  Well aware that its a scam to screw you.  I hate insurance companies. They are liek a bookies who doesn't want to pay up when they lose a bet.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 8:36am

I always use them and get a discount too - I can give you the code if you want it.

If you are to use a debit card - you have pay the full insurance.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:08am
TJ would you not just bring your own car to the UK on the ferry and avoid this sh*te LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:36am
How exactly does the car hire excess crowd work? Do you still have to pay the excess at the desk when you collect the car or do they cover it for you??

Hiring a car next month and the deposit when collecting is £300 with a liability of £1200... just spied that it's credit card only for paying it too and that I must have £1500 on the card.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:16am
Yep usually they block the damage liability money for 2 weeks only on a credit card although I have used a debit card before. From experience try make sure you do a 100% check for marks n scratches before accepting it. I just got done in Italy last week for 180 for tiny scratch which Im pretty sure I didn't do.
Thread carefully as this is where they make their money. The wise move is to get full liability insurance but this can be expensive usually as expensive as hire of car itself. 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:23am

I always use them and get a discount too - I can give you the code if you want it.

If you are to use a debit card - you have pay the full insurance.

Cheers Horse but booked it last night.  Hopefully I won't be back on here after being torn a new one.

-------------

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:47am
I normally just pay the full excess so there's no worries.

We in NZ last year and rented a car for about 6days, drove all around the North Island and some f**ker marked up the whole left side of it reversing their truck out one morning and did a legger. When I dropped it back they didn't care because I was fully insured.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I normally just pay the full excess so there's no worries.

We in NZ last year and rented a car for about 6days, drove all around the North Island and some f**ker marked up the whole left side of it reversing their truck out one morning and did a legger. When I dropped it back they didn't care because I was fully insured.
That's what I did in March. Just rocked up to the desk in the airport and looked for a car. Paid it and was only charged the deposit. There was none of this 1200 excess the other crowd are requesting.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:31am
Pay the full insurance so you don't have to worry about excess and being screwed over. That's all these places are looking for, to screw you over on any little thing imaginable.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:39am

Pay the full insurance so you don't have to worry about excess and being screwed over. That's all these places are looking for, to screw you over on any little thing imaginable.

Probably should have but in theory carhireexcess.com should reimburse me.  Probably worth the expensive insurance it for peace of mind but saved 40 euro by going elsewhere. If anything happens I better be 100% on the ball with receipts, photos etc..

-------------

Posted By: Patman Scoop
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
TJ Do you know what would be the perfect card to use in this situation if your worried about getting screwed ?

LOL

-------------
Why no wine??!

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Patman Scoop Patman Scoop wrote:

TJ Do you know what would be the perfect card to use in this situation if your worried about getting screwed ?

LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm

Probably should have but in theory carhireexcess.com should reimburse me.  Probably worth the expensive insurance it for peace of mind but saved 40 euro by going elsewhere. If anything happens I better be 100% on the ball with receipts, photos etc..
saving €40 is good business...Clap thats about what i saved using the revolut for for ex transactions lately. Good workClapClap

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:46pm
Revolut Cards. Is there anything thry cant do?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm

Revolut Cards. Is there anything thry cant do?
Drive you around in your hire car...

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:49pm

Yes I use them. I have had their policy coverage for the past two years without the need to contact them regarding a claim. I booked a hire car at least half a dozen times last year and four times so far this year.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:20pm
Was in England last weekend, hired a car for a few days.
No problems.

But when I dropped it back to the airport the guy who took the car back went quite quickly to the rear passenger door and said there was a dent.
I had a look and couldn’t see it at first, but then noticed a nice clean circular dent (no scratch or missing paint).
The sun was blaring, the car was spotless so I knew it was probably a set up as he’d need amazing vision to spot it.
I played it cool and said “no problem, I took loads of photos of the car when I picked it up”.
I had taken 18 photos when I collected it.
I found the one with the rear door and because the sun was also blaring when I picked it up, it made it difficult to see such a small dent, the sunshine and contours of the car produced streaks and sunshine rays in the photo.
He had a good look at the photo and was really taking his time.
I told him to take all the time in the world, told him my flight wasn’t until the next day and that I was staying in an airport hotel across the road, and that I’d pop back over anytime.
His delaying tactic is designed to make you sweat because you have a flight to catch.
I was actually flying out 2 hours later.
I said there were subtle bodywork variations in the first photo taken so I would not be paying any damage fee.
Eventually after a long wait he agreed that I wouldn’t have to pay anything (he said it would actually cost £500 to repair)......not my problem I said.
As soon as we walked away two of his colleagues came over to him very quickly, probably asking had he got me to pay £500 for an existing dent.

Today’s lesson is:

Take dozens of photos from all angles (if it proves you did actually do the damage well fair is fair), but it should stop you from being scammed.
If you think it is a scam, tell them there is no rush, you are flying out the next day, and that you can come back to speak with the manager.
Watch them like a hawk when they take the car back.

Take out excess insurance cover in case you did do the damage!!
€3 a day, it’s worth it.

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Was in England last weekend, hired a car for a few days.
No problems.

But when I dropped it back to the airport the guy who took the car back went quite quickly to the rear passenger door and said there was a dent.
I had a look and couldn’t see it at first, but then noticed a nice clean circular dent (no scratch or missing paint).
The sun was blaring, the car was spotless so I knew it was probably a set up as he’d need amazing vision to spot it.
I played it cool and said “no problem, I took loads of photos of the car when I picked it up”.
I had taken 18 photos when I collected it.
I found the one with the rear door and because the sun was also blaring when I picked it up, it made it difficult to see such a small dent, the sunshine and contours of the car produced streaks and sunshine rays in the photo.
He had a good look at the photo and was really taking his time.
I told him to take all the time in the world, told him my flight wasn’t until the next day and that I was staying in an airport hotel across the road, and that I’d pop back over anytime.
His delaying tactic is designed to make you sweat because you have a flight to catch.
I was actually flying out 2 hours later.
I said there were subtle bodywork variations in the first photo taken so I would not be paying any damage fee.
Eventually after a long wait he agreed that I wouldn’t have to pay anything (he said it would actually cost £500 to repair)......not my problem I said.
As soon as we walked away two of his colleagues came over to him very quickly, probably asking had he got me to pay £500 for an existing dent.

Today’s lesson is:

Take dozens of photos from all angles (if it proves you did actually do the damage well fair is fair), but it should stop you from being scammed.
If you think it is a scam, tell them there is no rush, you are flying out the next day, and that you can come back to speak with the manager.
Watch them like a hawk when they take the car back.

Take out excess insurance cover in case you did do the damage!!
€3 a day, it’s worth it.

Yes its a scam and they are on commission no doubt to catch you out. 

I was in the UK and flew into Liverpool for a few days.  Rented off a bunch of cowboys called GreenMotion.  Arrive at airport and expect to see a GreenMotion desk.  Ask around and none to be found.  Turns out they are about 1 km from the airport.  Eventually get the car and take sh*t load of photos.  To be honest this is only good for major scratches or dents as like you say its very easy to miss something tiny if the light is unfavourable.   Anyway the car fuel thing is empty with the light on. They say bring it back the level you get it. This is the 1st time I have ever been given a car without full tank.  Anyway they wanted to charge somethign ridiculous like 500 beans if you bring it back less!  Also they had a trip limited mileage of 280 miles which is also ridiculous. Hefty penalties if you go over this. Luckily I wasn't going far.  There was an Aussie couple int here and they hired a car for 5 weeks! And yer man was telling them they could only travel a certain amount of miles something like 1000 which isnt much of you are driving around the UK for 5 weeks.

Anyway I didn't get caught out or anything but I was lucky.  I hadn't noticed a scuff on the inside of the rear passenger door.  Someone had scuffed and left permanent marks on the plastic.  Thankfully yer man hadn't inspected inside as he seemed in a rush himself.  I had forgotten to check the inside of the car when picking it up.  I had the carhireexcess.com insurance anyway but I would have been charged and would have had to go through the hassle of reclaiming it.

Moral of the story:  Check inside and outside, take photo of mileage on car and fuel when picking up car. Check the undercarriage if possible and the wheels to the nth degree.  Any scratches on the alloys and they will rape you.  But ultimately there is little you can do to fully protect yourself bar taking out the full insurance. If they know where to look for the least amount of damage they will try to blame it on you.  Oh and also make sure to note if the car has hubcaps or missing parts (see page 1)

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:56am
You got stung before TJ did you not?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:24am

You got stung before TJ did you not?

Yep see page 1.

Luckily  I had booked online with Carhire3000 (now called rentalcars.com) and had paid extra for full cover with them (unknowingly) and when I complained to them they said they would reimburse me.

Basically I had rented some Vauxhall yoke and there were no hubcaps on it.  Thought nothing of it as I had seen rental cars with no hub caps before.  When I dropped it back it they said the hubcaps were gone and also said thee was a silver plastic strip missing from the boot and showed me another Vauxhall car what it should look like with it on.  I wasn't too familar with Vauxhall cars and when I picked up the car never thought of inspecting it for missing parts, merely scratches and dents etc.. 
Anyway I had the car for 2  days and was pretty careful.  I was pretty sure I had picked the car up that way.  Anyway the whole thing was an obvious set up. When I didn't take out the full insurance they knew I was to be taken advantage of. 

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:52am
who with GB1 ?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

who with GB1 ?

Avis/Budget

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:41pm

No need for the hysteria ffs. Just read the t&c's. booking through those 3rd party websites can be dodge...best to go direct.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
Surely the moral of the story is to look at the multiple reviews online for each company and pick the one that seems the best and has the best reputation?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net