You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 511512513514515 524>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:48am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Oppenheimer: 10/10.

Best film I’ve seen in years, about probably the most important thing to ever happen the world. Thank f**k for Christopher Nolan, saving movies from the constant remakes, sequels and Marvel garbage that fills theatres most of the time these days. if Cillian Murphy doesn’t get the Oscar for his role as Robert J Oppenheimer I’ll eat my hat. See it in IMAX if possible, mainly for the sound rather than the picture, albeit it was shot entirely with IMAX cameras. 3 hours long but had my full attention for every second, even with there being very little action in it. Can’t wait to go see it on the big screen again, it definitely won’t be anywhere near as good on a TV at home. incredible movie, have thought about it afterwards a lot more than any movie I’ve ever seen in the cinema which I’m sure will be the same for most people after they watch this.

7/10

Too long - exhausted going into the the cinema which didn't help.

You should set up a film rating site "TiredManReviews".
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:46am
Jojo Rabbit on RTÉ over the weekend. Had never heard of it but was thought it was excellent. Funny but also showed the horrors of war.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:54am
No Barbie reviews?LOL

Seriously, this is the kind of sh*t that Hollywood is making the last 15-20 years.   Absolute tripe.

Somewhere in some Hollywood office now is some executives dreaming up ideas for the latest pigspunk such as 'Pacman The Movie' or 'Saved by the Bell -The Next Generation'

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 12:58pm
Barbie is actually class tbf, great comedy moments, totally bonkers at points but sure it's a film about a doll. It's also gotten better and better in my head the more meltdown opinions I've seen about it LOL

Oppenheimer absolutely fantastic, I didn't feel the three hours go by at all. the security clearance stuff s a microcosm of how America became so rabidly anti-communist post-war - McCarthyism was rampant even though he was kept away from Oppenheimer. It took me a wee while to catch on to the time-jumps but I thought Murphy especially was just so good that I was engrossed with every scene 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 1:00pm
You must be the only adult who enjoyed Barbie. I've heard a few people who watched it and said it was fairly sh*te.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 1:06pm

You must be the only adult who enjoyed Barbie. I've heard a few people who watched it and said it was fairly sh*te.

I don't know anyone in my circles who didn't like it LOL a good chunk of the lads just haven't bothered with it because they're assuming they won't like it based off the trailers, which is fair enough. but everyone I know that's seen it really enjoyed it, different strokes! 
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 2:38pm
Saw Barbie the other week and Oppenheimer yesterday. Thought they were both very good but totally different.

Barbie was different to a typical movie that you'd expect from a girls doll. Greta Gerwig did a good job on it and the actors were good too.
Just cos you think it's a stupid concept for a film doesn't make it rubbish. I know you jumped the gun earlier in the Summer saying no one watches cricket too, but just cos it's not to your taste.

Enjoyed Oppenheimer too. Loved the scene of testing the bomb and the music just building the tension.
Most things I see in the cinema I seem to enjoy but that's because i'd have an interest. Years ago I'd try to see as many things as I could, whether they were good or not, but no I have to pick and choose. 
The dark side.. And the light
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Jojo Rabbit on RTÉ over the weekend. Had never heard of it but was thought it was excellent. Funny but also showed the horrors of war.

Excellent movie. Very funny whilst also being genuinely sad.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Saw Barbie the other week and Oppenheimer yesterday. Thought they were both very good but totally different.

Barbie was different to a typical movie that you'd expect from a girls doll. Greta Gerwig did a good job on it and the actors were good too.
Just cos you think it's a stupid concept for a film doesn't make it rubbish. I know you jumped the gun earlier in the Summer saying no one watches cricket too, but just cos it's not to your taste.

Enjoyed Oppenheimer too. Loved the scene of testing the bomb and the music just building the tension.
Most things I see in the cinema I seem to enjoy but that's because i'd have an interest. Years ago I'd try to see as many things as I could, whether they were good or not, but no I have to pick and choose. 

Got dragged to Barbie last weekend. I agree. A clever movie about the role of men and women in society, and finding one's self. Some decent comedic moments.

Oppenheimer was a bit too long, but a solid movie. Maybe a bit overhyped.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:34pm
Watched Oppenheimer without knowing anything apart from the era it was set. Completely engrossed, felt like 2 hours not 3. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

have it taped , must get round to watching it 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 8:43am
It's sh*te...
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 9:30am

It's sh*te...

I turned it off.

But you’ve just got to be in a certain mood for certain movies. Didn’t grab me at all
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:25am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

It's sh*te...

I turned it off.

But you’ve just got to be in a certain mood for certain movies. Didn’t grab me at all

I was expecting a roasting for posting that comment - I didn't like it. I'm quite fussy when it comes to movies.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:28am
Went to Oppenheimer last night. Really enjoyed it and didn't think it was too long either to be honest  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 11:41pm
Watching Pulp Fiction on RTE 2.  Last time I saw this film was about 25 years ago or more.

Have to say I have no idea why this film is so popular.  Am bored senseless watching it. Another 1hr 10mins left too and unless it picks up I am switching it off.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Watching Pulp Fiction on RTE 2.  Last time I saw this film was about 25 years ago or more.

Have to say I have no idea why this film is so popular.  Am bored senseless watching it. Another 1hr 10mins left too and unless it picks up I am switching it off.

Tarantino is an overrated eejit. I kind of liked Pulp Fiction but a lot of his stuff is infantile, gratuitously gory and unfunny. Kill Bill 1 and 2 were probably the worst things I've ever had to sit through (not sure how I ended up at the 2nd, but an enjoyable enough cinema nap nonetheless).

Oppenheimer was quality. Would watch a Christopher Nolan remake of the Power Rangers movie.

Only issue was that they went from not knowing how to catch-up with the Nazis and generally work out what to do, to having the bomb ready, in like 20 minutes with little explanation of how and just many tense montages. Perhaps if they'd gone more into the nuts and bolts, it would have been too long/become more boring. Also, his morality on the whole thing was a bit wishy-washy, though perhaps, and they did allude to it, that was the point - he didn't really know where he stood. 

<insert witty comment>
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Tarantino is an overrated eejit. I kind of liked Pulp Fiction but a lot of his stuff is infantile, gratuitously gory and unfunny. Kill Bill 1 and 2 were probably the worst things I've ever had to sit through (not sure how I ended up at the 2nd, but an enjoyable enough cinema nap nonetheless).

Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds are pretty good imo. Definitely both have elements of infantility and gore but as you say, wouldn't a Tarantino film without it LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 511512513514515 524>
  Share Topic