You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 510511512513514 524>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 11:02am
The Covenant - War film set in Afghanistan with a local interpreter helping a troop of American Soldiers finding bomb making factories - Very Good - 8/10 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 11:19am
Oppenheimer - Gripping dive into the complicated genius of Robert Oppenheimer and McCarthyist America. Superb performances from Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt and Robert Downey Jr. 9/10 for me.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 11:32am
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

The Covenant - War film set in Afghanistan with a local interpreter helping a troop of American Soldiers finding bomb making factories - Very Good - 8/10 

Kandahar, Gerard Butler Very Very Similar, maybe more a 6.5/7 though
Getting old and intolerant
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 2:29am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

7.5/10 - Eye in the Sky - Netflix - US\UK military operation to take out a 'Terrorist' in Kenya, the story focuses on the legal and ethical aspects when they decide to kill innocent people.

I really enjoyed it, 90 minute film too.

Enjoyable enough movie. Although I couldn't help but think of the hypocrisy of the whole killing innocent people coming from the Brits and Yanks. The US blew up one of their targets in Afghanistan and killed about 50 innocent people at a wedding while doing it.  
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

7.5/10 - Eye in the Sky - Netflix - US\UK military operation to take out a 'Terrorist' in Kenya, the story focuses on the legal and ethical aspects when they decide to kill innocent people.

I really enjoyed it, 90 minute film too.

Enjoyable enough movie. Although I couldn't help but think of the hypocrisy of the whole killing innocent people coming from the Brits and Yanks. The US blew up one of their targets in Afghanistan and killed about 50 innocent people at a wedding while doing it.  
Good film. But a few flaws in it, one scene in it there is no way a soldier would question an order or refuse to carry one out if ordered to do so. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 2:56pm
Perks of being a wallflower: Amazon Prime - gets an 8/10 on IMDb. Bit overrated imo. A 6.5/10. Coming of age teenager makes friends in the early 90s. Trials and tribulations and some demons thrown in for good measure. Decent watch but feels like it’s been done before. Almost like a few classics stitched together.

Tears of the Sun: Netflix - Bruce Willis leads a special ops team to rescue a doctor in war torn Nigeria. I enjoyed this. Some usual Hollywood cliches evident but that aside, decent fare. Some harrowing scenes in the mid section of the film which were a tough enough watch. 7.5/10

Run: Netflix - wheelchair bound daughter in a semi rip off of the classic misery. 6/10

Edited by McG - 29 Jul 2023 at 2:57pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 3:16pm
Watching a good few films on Disney before I get rid of it.

Peal Harbour, The Insider - both very good. 9/10

Boston strangler - decent watch too. 7/10
The Drop - Tom Hardy - 7/10

Enemy of the state - Owen Wilson of all people playing an action role - manages to evade being killed by a whole army, enjoyable watch but completely far fetched. 6/10

Walter Mitty - 0/10 - 

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 3:57pm
Pearl Harbour with Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett? Did that not serve up a whopper plate of dung?
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 8:23am
Extraction 1 & 2- Netflix. Nonsense plots but great action. Think Equalizer, Commando and a bit of Man on Fire all rolled into one. Entertainment value 7/10
AS YOU WERE McGx

Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 2:14am
Oppenheimer: 10/10.

Best film I’ve seen in years, about probably the most important thing to ever happen the world. Thank f**k for Christopher Nolan, saving movies from the constant remakes, sequels and Marvel garbage that fills theatres most of the time these days. if Cillian Murphy doesn’t get the Oscar for his role as Robert J Oppenheimer I’ll eat my hat. See it in IMAX if possible, mainly for the sound rather than the picture, albeit it was shot entirely with IMAX cameras. 3 hours long but had my full attention for every second, even with there being very little action in it. Can’t wait to go see it on the big screen again, it definitely won’t be anywhere near as good on a TV at home. incredible movie, have thought about it afterwards a lot more than any movie I’ve ever seen in the cinema which I’m sure will be the same for most people after they watch this.

Edited by Max Power - 03 Aug 2023 at 2:16am
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Best film I’ve seen in years, about probably the most important thing to ever happen the world. Thank f**k for Christopher Nolan, saving movies from the constant remakes, sequels and Marvel garbage that fills theatres most of the time these days. if Cillian Murphy doesn’t get the Oscar for his role as Robert J Oppenheimer I’ll eat my hat. See it in IMAX if possible, mainly for the sound rather than the picture, albeit it was shot entirely with IMAX cameras. 3 hours long but had my full attention for every second, even with there being very little action in it. Can’t wait to go see it on the big screen again, it definitely won’t be anywhere near as good on a TV at home. incredible movie, have thought about it afterwards a lot more than any movie I’ve ever seen in the cinema which I’m sure will be the same for most people after they watch this.

Agreed fantastic film. Really makes you think of the big picture of humanity and how we are so naive to the power we possess for destruction.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 7:52pm
Double bill in the cinema this eve. I like to go into films blind. What a f**king mistake. Went to see joyride, which rotten tomatoes has rated 91%

It is the first time I have ever left a film early. It is the single largest ball of monkey sh*te I have ever had the mispleasure of sitting through. Utter garbage. Not a single likeable character

0/10
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 11:00pm
LOLLOL
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 11:23pm
Part 2. Talk to Me. Australian horror. Enjoyable story and would watch again.

7/10  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:48pm

7/10

Too long - exhausted going into the the cinema which didn't help.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:08pm
will wait till this comes out on the telly. Should be on RTÉ 2 Christmas 2026 please God. No spoilers in the mean time please👍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:16pm

7/10

Too long - exhausted going into the the cinema which didn't help.

Felt the whole thing dragged, Couldn't have given a f**k what happened to him in that hearing either, which was the last third of the movie. 

Way overhyped, just couldn't get into it. 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Double bill in the cinema this eve. I like to go into films blind. What a f**king mistake. Went to see joyride, which rotten tomatoes has rated 91%

It is the first time I have ever left a film early. It is the single largest ball of monkey sh*te I have ever had the mispleasure of sitting through. Utter garbage. Not a single likeable character

0/10

Rotten Tomatoes is a waste of space. I find IMDB to be a much better gauge. There are so many films on RT that get 90% and above that their ratings don't carry any weight. If everything is brilliant then nothing is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 510511512513514 524>
  Share Topic