You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 503504505506507 524>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Watched Banshees of Inisheerin last night. Was a disappointment if I'm honest because I've enjoyed McDonagh's work in the past.

Was obviously an ode to the like of Synge's works of the past and is visually very effective but found the plot odd and lacked humour throughout.

Not for me

This also.   "In Bruges" is in my Top 3 films, but I thought Banshees was very disappointing....classic case of Emperors New Clothes in the reviews its getting I think, or maybe I was expecting far too much.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 9:09am
I've yet to meet a person who said Banshees of Inisheerin was great.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 10:01am
Watched two films yesterday.

An Cailín Ciúin - the quiet girl. Irish language film short listed for best foreign language film at this year's Oscars.

Slow start that comes good. tells the story of a neglected girl who goes to live with relatives during the 70s or 80s in rural Ireland. Feel good ending.

The Reader. Rewatch of an old one that the missus hadn't seen. Great acting, brilliant twist in the story after the initial hour. Well worth a second look.

Edited by Saint Tom - 28 Dec 2022 at 10:02am
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 10:47am
Thought Knives Out was very good, turned on the sequel for about 10 mins and turned it off. Not sure where it was going! I might give it another go. 

Edited by jamo1 - 28 Dec 2022 at 10:48am
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I loved it. 8/10 from me.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 11:36am
The Glass Onion ( name comes from a Beatles song ), the sequel to Knives Out, is very good. Essentially a vicious satire of Elon Musk and the corruption of wealth, with a parade of repellent American characters to illustrate the theme. Lots of black humour and the timing of release could hardly be better.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 12:13pm
See how they run

This is on Disney+. Another whodunnit based around the play 'The Mousetrap'
Saoirse Ronan is good in this and a few funny moments. Probably won't remember it in years to come but it was good to watch 3/4's of a film without being interupted by a baby.

The dark side.. And the light
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Same, cracking film.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 5:34pm

Seen it the other night and was disappointed with it. Not that the acting was that bad but none of the characters seemed that convincing for the 1920s west of Ireland era that it was supposed to be set in imo. The civil war reference seems like it was just thrown in because the two main characters were at odds with each other along with the naked Guard by the fire for the sake of a laugh.  

Was curious to see if there was any negative reviews on the film and this one below is absolutely spot on. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 9:42am
Watched the Swimmers on Netflix yesterday.

Tells the story of two teenage girls who make the precarious trip to Germany from West torn Syria, both of whom are accomplished swimmers with aspirations of swimming in the Olympics. Good film, the moves at a good pace and keeps it's humanity in what is a very difficult subject. Would recommend.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Same, cracking film.

Same as, a top show. Probably as dark a movie you could ever see. But genuinely funny at times. Some combination. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 30 Dec 2022 at 5:21pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 2:18pm
Dressed to Kill

A crossdresser is murdering women in New York. The son of a victim teams up with the prostitute who witnessed her murder to chase down the killer. Excellent cat and mouse noir thriller with excellently directed set-pieces, an iconic score and lovely visual flourishes. There's a 9 minute scene set in an art gallery near the start of the movie with virtually no dialogue that I was losing patience with at the time but now think is genius after luckily persevering with the movie. Great tension and highly disturbing with uncanny valley vibes mixing with the grime of early-eighties New York to create a very unsettling movie experience. Brian De Palma is a dependable director and Michael Caine, Nancy Allen (so sexy), Keith Gordon and Dennis Franz (NYPD Blue) round out a solid cast.

Angel Heart

A private investigator (Mickey Rourke) is tasked with finding the singer Johnny Favorite by a mysterious and enigmatic figure (Robert De Niro) in fifties New York. Rourke's chase takes him from New York to New Orleans and he's soon in over his head as the reasons for Louis Cyphre employing him become clear. Nightmarish gothic noir with snappy dialogue, believable contemporary cinematography and a feeling of foreboding at every turn. Genuinely scary stuff. One monologue towards the conclusion of the movie by an auxiliary character explaining Favorite's backstory and the debt he owes to Cyphre does more to unsettle than any slashing or hacking could.

The Shawshank Redemption 

Perhaps the movie with the greatest rewatch value. Life affirming stuff. Pretty much every scene is great. Some of it is a bit contrived but it's a minor quibble.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 31 Dec 2022 at 2:33pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 2:27pm
Top Gun - Maverick

Finally got around to seeing this thanks to a free 7 day Paramount Plus trial.

I expected it to be good having heard all the positive reviews but had heard nothing to spoil the experience. Really enjoyed it. Was better than i expected and real justice done as a sequel. 

Hopefully that's that now and they dont get greedy given the movies box office success.

Cruise, in some nick for 60 Clap

8.5/10
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 4:27pm
Worst Cruise film ever has to be Cocktail. Utter bilge.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:04am
went to see Avatar 2: The Way of Water in 3D last night. 

Visually stunning movie as you would expect. 
The story is a bit cliched / borrowed from other movies (like the first) but delivered well too within the setting.
3 hour movie but it flew by for me anyway with many action/trilling sequences.
Overall I would give it 9/10 as, like Avatar 1, it uses the technology well and brings you into that environment and gives an amazing experience due to the visual effects and trilling scenes.

Not a 10/10 because the story is just there and nice but not "oh my god i need to see Avatar 3 to find out what happens to the characters". 

Look forward to Avatar 3 to be taking back into that world and living the experience. (I think Avatar 1 and 2 are the only 3D movies where 3D actually makes that big of a difference to being an average movies vs. deadly movie). 

Edited by t_rAndy - 02 Jan 2023 at 10:05am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:11am
Banshees of Inisheerin:

Saw this a number of months back and really thought it was good but in retrospect int he cold light of day think the storyline is ridiculous and  nonsensical ,the comedy element of it takes away from the more serious subjects within the film.  Te acting is good which is only let down by the storyline.

If they had come up with a better storyline and ending this would have been a classic
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:24am
Sexy Beast

Ben Kingsley is hilarious in this as an unhinged psychopath sent to retired crim Ray Winstone's villa to convince him into doing one last score for crime boss Ian McShane (Al Swearengen from Deadwood). I say convince but it's not like Winstone has a choice in the matter; Kingsley's constant browbeating of Winstone and generally caustic behaviour is can't-take-your-eyes-off-this stuff. Takes a while to get going until Kingsley's in it and loses steam towards the end but a dacent, and quick, watch (88 minutes).
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:03am
Greyhound. 
Tom Hanks & Stephen Graham star, WW2 navy drama based loosely on the battle of the Atlantic. 
1.5hrs long, decent throughout with good visuals 
7/10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 503504505506507 524>
  Share Topic