You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 524>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:56pm
The Crush

I'm a sucker for movies like Single White Female so this caught my eye when scrolling through Netflix. A 14-year-old Alicia Silverstone (wan from Clueless) develops an obsessive crush on Cary Elwes, a writer who rents a room in her parents house. Her eponymous crush goes unrequited and the precocious Lolita spirals out of control when Elwes starts seeing a coworker. 

Elwes is not a great actor but Silverstone is great as the antagonist. It's a passable way to spend 90 minutes and it has Red from That 70's Show, so there's that.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:40am
Heard good things about Mass so decided to give it a watch. Couldnt remember the name so googled movies about school tragedies and two came up, so watched them both

Mass - Excellent film - dialogue and acting excellent. The older lady deserves an Oscar nod - 8/10
The Fallout - Very different but definitely watchable - A coming of age movie whilst dealing with the aftermath of a school shooting 6.5/10
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Heard good things about Mass so decided to give it a watch. Couldnt remember the name so googled movies about school tragedies and two came up, so watched them both

Mass - Excellent film - dialogue and acting excellent. The older lady deserves an Oscar nod - 8/10
The Fallout - Very different but definitely watchable - A coming of age movie whilst dealing with the aftermath of a school shooting 6.5/10

Yeah, I mentioned Mass here before. It's very good albeit tough going at times.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 10:38pm
The Wolf's Call. 

French war movie about a submarine sonar officer who has a talent for recognising different sounds. Pretty enjoyable. Thumbs Up
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 12:47pm
Red Heat

Eighties buddy cop movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jim Belushi. Made the mistake of watching this with my mother in the room. Movie begins in what looks like a Russian bathhouse with naked men pumping iron and Arnold frolicking in a thong with a gratuitously long shot of his arse. All of a sudden he starts fighting other men in the nip in that over-the-top action movie style of the times.

Struggled to keep my attention TBH and probably had a family member questioning my sexual preferences. 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 12:51am
I finished a re-watch of Bone Tomahawk earlier. I love westerns and this is a very good one. It also contains what is possibly the most gruesome murder I have ever seen in a film. Horrific, but don't let that put ye off what is definitely amongst the better of the more recently made westerns 7.5/10.

Edited by Paulie - 18 Feb 2022 at 12:57am
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I finished a re-watch of Bone Tomahawk earlier. I love westerns and this is a very good one. It also contains what is possibly the most gruesome murder I have ever seen in a film. Horrific, but don't let that put ye off what is definitely amongst the better of the more recently made westerns 7.5/10.

Funny I have that taped and haven’t got round to watching it 

Date night movie ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Date night movie ? 

Good god no. Last half hour is one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen. 

Very good film all the same, but not for the faint hearted.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Date night movie ? 

Good god no. Last half hour is one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen. 

Very good film all the same, but not for the faint hearted.

NR, take this advice.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 10:53pm
The Wailing was recommended to me by someone on here. Great shout. Cracking movie. There was another Korean movie that was also recommended whose name escapes me but that was just OK. I'm jarred
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 12:56am
Liquorice Pizza is hugely overated. It's very well acted but I just found it to be really dull. It just sort of meanders along. Also, the double standard ffs. If the roles were reversed the film wouldn't even have been made.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 12:12pm
I'd say it has had a quiet release, not even sure when it was out here. 
But I think that's typical PTA, find his films can be hit or miss and not much happening in them but the acting always being very good. 

Edited by darmack - 27 Feb 2022 at 12:12pm
The dark side.. And the light
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 12:45pm
It's not even that I don't like his films. I really enjoyed Inherent Vice and The Master. This just did nothing for me. It's definitely the weakest of the best film Oscar nominations that I've seen.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 12:22am
Face/Off

No fat on this whatsoever. Unrelentingly watchable with two hilarious lead performances. Never slows down. Even the non-action bits emit great tension.

I love little touches like CCH Pounder's character stubbing a cigarette out on Castor Troy's body when he's in the coma as well. Lots of things like that, and callbacks, you really appreciate on a rewatch.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 11:59pm
I've just finished a re-watch of Terminator 2. It's still an incredible movie.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:31am

What's it about?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:47am

Given up amount the amount of times Ive watched it. Brilliant. Any time I come across it on the TV i end up watching it again. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:51am
The Tinder Swindler.

True story. Con artist meets girls on tinder and defrauds them out of loads of money to fuel his jet set lifestyle. Its nuts. The guy is a parasite but he is some operator too. Fell sorry for the girls, love is blind I guess. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 09 Mar 2022 at 4:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 524>
  Share Topic