You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 439440441442443 524>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 1:32pm
Watched "Heat" last night for the first time in about 15 years - great film
Some people just deserve a slap
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:09pm
Went to see 'Coco' with me daughter. If you were close to tears watching Toy Story 3 then you'd be best advised to bring the handkerchief with you to this one. Such a lovely story and great visual again from Pixar.   

Edited by t_rAndy - 27 Jan 2018 at 4:10pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Went to see 'Coco' with me daughter. If you were close to tears watching Toy Story 3 then you'd be best advised to bring the handkerchief with you to this one. Such a lovely story and great visual again from Pixar.   

I've heard this a few times before but when I watched it I didn't see the fuss over it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I've heard this a few times before but when I watched it I didn't see the fuss over it.

A lot of those Pixar films are just brilliant marketing, they are very formulaic and rely on
humanising unusual objects or creatures as characters kids will love. It is quite clever, but it isn't reinventing the wheel either.
Essentially, a bit like mass, if you have been to one, you've been to them all.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:26pm
I, too, went to see Coco today. I found it to be a gritty representation of rural Mexican life and an interesting take on life after death which posed a lot of philosophical questions.
My godson loved the friendly dog and the colourful cat.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:42am
Watched The Martian last night with Matt Damon. Fairly braindead stuff but highly enjoyable at the same time despite being incredibly far fetched. 

More holes than a dartboard in this wan. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Watched The Martian last night with Matt Damon. Fairly braindead stuff but highly enjoyable at the same time despite being incredibly far fetched. 

What was exactly far fetched about it?

Everything done in the book and film is scientifically accurate and plausible 
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Was just about to say the same.

What parts of it would you describe as fairly brain-dead?
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:14am
Watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday, I thought it was excellent, so so funny with some cracking scenes and songs!

Waititi is one of if not the best comedy director in the world right now.

9/10
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:19am
Watched the Brothers Grimsby at the weekend.
Quite funny

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday, I thought it was excellent, so so funny with some cracking scenes and songs!

Waititi is one of if not the best comedy director in the world right now.

9/10

Don't think I'll ever watch a film like this but it is great to see him get the recognition he deserves on the back of it. The man is brilliant.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:29am

Where to start!

The storm warning was about ten mins - im sure NASA have much better warning systems
They just legged it rather than stay in Mars orbit and come back to get his body after the storm had passed... 
His suit was pierced but somehow remained pressurised
One satellite dish for all communication?
Plastic sheeting and tape x100000
He was a botanist but was also a tech whizz, engineer, mechanic and more
There happened to be another rocket on mars in full working order?
Not to mention the fact that he stripped it entirely and then covered it with plastic for his escape
I'm no farmer but seems far fetched that he has able to grow the crops under those conditions in mars soil (which im sure is just dust) and the sh*te from the astrononauts
The piercing a hole in his glove and flying to his rescuers Ermm
The other astronauts happy to spend another 500 days in space? 

Just off top of my head but as said, like a lot of these blockbusters, you just need to forgive the far fetched stuff. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 11:49am
The Post - 6/10.

Decent, but expected a lot more from this.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:30pm

OKAY HAVING NOT SEEN THE FILM IN ABOUT TWO YEARS AND UNAWARE OF SOME OF THE BELOW i SHALL AS YOU SAY GIVE A START

Where to start!

The storm warning was about ten mins - im sure NASA have much better warning systems =>
Mars is so far away in fact that it takes radio signals quite a long time to get from the spacecraft back to Earth. During Curiosity EDL, this delay will be 13 minutes, 48 seconds, about mid-way between the minimum delay of around 4 minutes and the maximum of around 24 minutes

Scientists can hardly predict the weather on Earth accurately, ever hear of the butterfly effect? small changes in atmospheric pressure can change a weather systems dramatically. It can change from sunshine to rain in a New York just because a butterfly flaps its wings in Peking.

So entirely plausible.

They just legged it rather than stay in Mars orbit and come back to get his body after the storm had passed...

They assumed he was dead why would they go back for his body and waste fuel they if they believed he was dead?

again entirely plausible

His suit was pierced but somehow remained pressurised

When pierced by the antenna it only created a hole the size of the piercing by going into his skin it remained air tight.

again entirely plausible

One satellite dish for all communication?

Most communication is done via one main hub,  see above in terms of time it would take

Plastic sheeting and tape x100000
He was a botanist but was also a tech whizz, engineer, mechanic and more

First of he was an astronaut,I'd imagine NASA training covers a lot of things. yes you may specialize in a certain area (Botany in his case) but again I'd 100% guarantee you'd have a decent level of knowledge in those areas if you were a fully trainer astronaut.

So 
again entirely plausible (actually probably more then plausibe most likely fact)

There happened to be another rocket on mars in full working order?

I'd imagine other missions had gone there before so The Moon has rockets and capsules left behind  from the Apollo missions which are in full working order.

so entirely plausible something would have been there had there been previous missions to mars

Not to mention the fact that he stripped it entirely and then covered it with plastic for his escape
I'm no farmer but seems far fetched that he has able to grow the crops under those conditions in mars soil (which im sure is just dust) and the sh*te from the astrononauts

NASA has being doing experiments growing potatoes in soil in the middle of Peruvian Desert an area which as per samples retrived and analyzed  from the Mars rover is close to 90% similar to the soil on Mars. Once an area in oxygen rich and pressurized it is again scientifically plausible to able to grow potatoes. 

The piercing a hole in his glove and flying to his rescuers Ermm

simple propulsion, as you state above in regards to pressurized suit. if there was a hole in it not covered then the air in there would escape within a vacuum it would be enough to propel.

The other astronauts happy to spend another 500 days in space?

Just off top of my head but as said, like a lot of these blockbusters, you just need to forgive the far fetched stuff. 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Jan 2018 at 12:32pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:41pm
Of course there are elements of it that are far fetched - after all, we've never sent humans to Mars and the unknowns are massive.

But on one point, the training: NASA astronauts are some of the smartest, fittest, most adaptable, best educated, well-trained people on the planet (when they're on Earth, that is). They're basically all scientific geniuses.

The main issue is that, because of the low atmospheric pressure, the dust storm would actually be relatively mild, even with gusts of 120 mph. Air pressure is quite low, so storms even at that level, would only be mildly irritating, rather than seriously dangerous.

But a little suspension of disbelief is required and you're not actually meant to believe that, today, an astronaut could grow potatoes on mars using the power of his poo.... just that it might be possible in the fictional future presented.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:06pm
Dunno if its been mentioned but the new Jumanji is actually good despite having zero relevance to the first one other than the name.

It comes under the category of ‘Films you expect to be sh*t but its better than what the trailers look like’
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm
My problem with the Martian is the bullsh*t, Hollywood, American, cringey bits where it shows massive crowds on Times Square with their miniature American flags watching Live Feeds of an extremely high-risk space rescue mission where it was probably more likely that the fella being rescued got splattered across space!

Apart from that, I liked it, but I have very little time for that other nonsense!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

My problem with the Martian is the bullsh*t, Hollywood, American, cringey bits where it shows massive crowds on Times Square with their miniature American flags watching Live Feeds of an extremely high-risk space rescue mission where it was probably more likely that the fella being rescued got splattered across space!

Apart from that, I liked it, but I have very little time for that other nonsense!!

You know full well if it there was a rescue that saw Alan Dillon being rescued from the depths of Space, Westport Castlebar etc. would come to a standstill with a big screen in McHale Park beaming the live footage amongst a quiet chorus of Mayoooo, Mayoooooo

You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 439440441442443 524>
  Share Topic