You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 520521522523524>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:14am
The Thing is a firm favourite at Halloween in this household. Absolute classic
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 12:08pm
Don’t worry he won’t get far on foot - Amazon Prime 7.5/10

Dark comedy true story about an alcoholic going nowhere who after a car accident ends up a quadriplegic in a wheelchair. Embittered he finds solace in drawing funny cartoons and coming off the booze.

Feel good element and as per usual, outstanding acting by Joaquin Phoenix in the lead with help from Jonah Hill in a supporting role.

In true Q Man style, a serious twitch from Rooney Mara, what a babe.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 12:18am
Sisu - NowTv 7/10

Finnish Rambo meets the nazis and will do everything in his power to retain his possessions. Bonkers and over the top but enjoyable nonetheless. 

No Hard Feelings - Netflix 6/10 (for the genre it is)

Jennifer Lawrence needs money pronto and signs up to date a loner geek. Predictable aul sh*te but for what it is, not too bad. Plus she gets the jubblies out on a few occasions. Worth a watch if you’re looking for a brainless 90 mins.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 9:54am
The Guilty - 7/10.

Cop takes an emergency services call from a woman who has been abducted.

Good performance from Gyllenhall as he’s one of the few characters that is on screen throughout the movie so he’s carrying the movie by himself.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:02am
Arrival.

The synopsis said it had 8 oscar nominations or summat so said I'd watch it.

What a pile of crap.  About Aliens arriving to Earth.  Not against that but the film was just stupid and boring.

3/10
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 12:59pm
Kalifornia (5/10)

David Duchovny is writing a book about serial killers in tandem with his photographer girlfriend. They post an ad looking for people to share expenses to fund a road trip to California researching and photographing the sites of infamous serial killings. Brad Pitt's uncouth hick and his childlike girlfriend [Juliette Lewis] respond to their ad. Little do they know that the paroled Pitt is not supposed to cross state lines and is on the run for murdering his trailer park landlord. The first third or so of this was very interesting. The cinematography and vibe is reminiscent of movies like Cape Fear, Seven and Natural Born Killers and the premise is setup very well as the characters get to know each other. However, once the bubble bursts and the tension dissipates the story starts falling apart and it became a slog waiting for it to end. Twas on course for a 7 or 8 but I'll have to give this wan a 4 or 5. Not a big fan of Brad Pitt but his charisma overcomes his other shortcomings in roles like this. His shtick was wearing thin on me after an hour but it was a chilling performance to be fair. Juliette Lewis is very convincing in roles like this. Not sure if that's a compliment. Duchovny is Duchovny. Bland but likeable.

The Long Good Friday (5/10)

Bob Hoskins plays a crime boss whose operations are targeted by a vengeful IRA. Thought this wan was a bit dated and mediocre.

The Running Man (7.5/10)

The Running Man was good but it could've been a lot better. Felt like it didn't maximise its potential. The director of The Fugitive was originally supposed to direct it but was fired weeks into production. Arnold thinks that was a mistake and I tend to agree. BTW even by Arnold's standards, he was going hog wild with the bad puns in this one. The stalkers were great fun. I'm obsessed with Dynamo. 

Mississippi Burning (9/10)

FBI agents investigate the disappearance of civil rights workers in backwoods Mississippi. They are obstructed by a code of silence from the hostile townfolk, local police and KKK. Based on a true story, Alan Parker directs and Gene Hackman, Brad Dourif and Michael Rooker are the pick of an excellent cast. Much more impactful than the overrated Three Billboard Over Ebbing, Missouri. Watch this wan now on Amazon Prime.

Edited by razzmatazaz - 09 Apr 2024 at 1:53pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 1:15pm
The running man was directed by Starsky from Starsky & Hutch
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 1:30pm
Throw up some ratings against these movies.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 1:46pm
In Mississipi Burning when the guy interrogates the KKK guys he is black in the film but in real life it was actually Greg Scarpa from the Colombo Family in New York that interrogated/tortured them. Fella was a nutjob and was working with the FBI. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

In Mississipi Burning when the guy interrogates the KKK guys he is black in the film but in real life it was actually Greg Scarpa from the Colombo Family in New York that interrogated/tortured them. Fella was a nutjob and was working with the FBI. 
Died from AIDS after getting a blood transfusion from an associate who contracted HIV from using a dirty needle to inject anabolic steroids. Even when dying from AIDS he was Carmine Persico's biggest asset in the mob war against Vic Orena who was trying to take over the family while Persico was in prison. Turns out he was giving information to the Feds since the sixties hence them using him to interrogate/beat information out of those KKK guys! Fun fact: Agent Harris "We're gonna win this thing" quote from The Sopranos was lifted verbatim from FBI agent Lindley DeVecchio who was feeding information to the Persico faction about the whereabouts of mobsters in the Orena faction during aforementioned mob war.

Been meaning to read Deal with the Devil for a while now. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

The Long Good Friday (5/10)

Bob Hoskins plays a crime boss whose operations are targeted by a vengeful IRA. Thought this wan was a bit dated and mediocre.

Are you on drugs  5 outa 10 - movie is a classic with classic dialogue and a great ending 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 5:21pm
Pumpkinhead (4 out of 10)

Vengeful father played by Lance Henriksen goes to a witch to summon a monster in order to get vengeance against the teens who killed his son in a reckless driving accident. Similar to Pet Sematary. Special effects are really good [it was directed by special effects wizard Stan Winston] and Lance Henriksen is always good. Not much else to recommend it. The acting is subpar, the editing is all over the place at times, and the kills are disappointing. If you're a fan of the genre it's worth a watch but don't go near this if you're not a horror movie completist. If it was in the hands of a more experienced director with a defter touch, this could've been something a lot better as there is the foundation of a good premise here and it's set up reasonably well over the first thirty minutes, but it's ultimately a disappointment. They should've done more with the witch, who was memorable in a couple of scenes.

I'm running out of movies because Prime and Netflix have nathin', so I'm probably going to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 next. Half watched it years ago and it looked like an interesting enough subversion of the genre considering it was released in the eighties. Wonder how it holds up now. 

Edited by razzmatazaz - 12 Apr 2024 at 5:22pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 9:16pm
You lost me at the title of that movie.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 4:06am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You lost me at the title of that movie.

Same. I'm not sure what was expected.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 4:11am
Could be a movie about a young boys enthusiasm for growing pumpkins
It would damage this forums' reputation
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 4:39am
How would that make your expectation for the movie any better?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 1:11pm
10/10 - In the name of the Father. I must have watched this 100 times. Absolutely brilliant.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

10/10 - In the name of the Father. I must have watched this 100 times. Absolutely brilliant.

You remind me of Don Baker
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 520521522523524>
  Share Topic