You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Leeds fans about ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 258>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:59am
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Hope they get relegated now.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Good to see! much better seeing Leeds in the PL over the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth.

Need to use better bait than that LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 2:37pm
Not sure what's wrong with Bournemouth tbh. Still a very small club considering they've been in the EPL a few years now.

Don't even own their own stadium, didn't even have a Season Ticket system implemented in the 1st EPL season!

Would rather see a small club do well than see a supposed big club celebrate finishing 4th.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:47pm
Biergarten tonight and will toast our success with a Maß or two
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 1:33am
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Don Revie's team had a reputation for maiming others but him eating a woman and a young boy is taking things a bit far.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:40am

Quote You're right, Sid - they were a hard side. But it was a prerequisite in those days - there were a lot of tough nuts around. Chopper Harris, Nobby Stiles, Tommy Smith, Peter Storey, Dave Mackay. Norman Hunter was branded as Leeds hard man but John Giles and Jack Charlton dished it out too. Leeds blazed a trail in the 60s and early 70s. Don Revie was a great manager, putting together a team cheaply and taking it from the basement of  Division Two to major titles. With only about three later additions to the squad (Clarke, Jones and Cherry) they achieved so much with the same list of players. Remarkable achievement. Bill Shankly did the same at Liverpool, of course - but their succession system ensured they stayed at the top. 
Did you know all three titles Leeds won were clinched at Anfield?

Another similarity was that those three titles were each driven by a player Manchester United made a huge mistake in letting go - Johnny Giles in '69 and '74 and Gordon Strachan in '92. Leeds then handsomely and promptly repaid the favour by selling a certain Frenchman! Strachan was like the bastard child of Giles and Billy Bremner.

Football was very different then. The pitches were sh*t which is a large part of the reason why it was so hard. That early 70s period to me seems the absolute peak of English club football as a mass engagement game of the people. The stadiums were heaving cauldrons. I would have loved to have been around in that era. 136k at Hampden Park for Celtic v Leeds in 1970. Wow.

I'm rather fascinated by that Leeds team, by their brilliance, by their arrogance, by their bravery, by the way they finished second in so many competitions they should have won, and by their dark side, which included frequent attempts at match fixing which never seemed to work - their attempt to bribe Wolves before the crucial league decider in '72 seemed to fire Wolves up no end - and despite their furious denials, absolutely did happen. It's why Don Revie suddenly fled from England and the England manager's job to the Middle East in 1977 as the World Cup qualifiers were about to come to a climax - because Gary Sprake told the truth. None of the other Leeds players bar Eddie Gray ever spoke to Sprake again. 

Edited by sid waddell - 19 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:24pm
Yes i think Leeds were league runners up 5 times under Revie.

Same in a lot of cup finals they lost at home and in Europe.

Giles was the dirtiest of them all.
It was him that clocked Keegan in the Charity Shield but Keegan thought it was Bremner because Billy smiled at him so Keegan whacked him.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

It was him that clocked Keegan in the Charity Shield but Keegan thought it was Bremner because Billy smiled at him so Keegan whacked him.
It would be difficult to pick the dirtiest of that Leeds team, although Giles is renowned for a column he wrote in the Daily Express where he admitted to 'getting his retaliation in first'. That whole team has been derided as dirty but in truth it was only 4 or 5 players who went to extremes, Giles, Hunter, Bremner and Clarke (Clarke has managed to avoid criticism from many biographies I've read, he was cynical and dirty). I don't believe that Charlton was dirty per se more of a very physically abrasive centre half of his time. Because he was in the same team as the others mentioned, he is labelled as guilty by association with them.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Remember Giles fell out with Dunphy over him bringing up what Giles did to John Fitzpatrick. Bremner was a great player, the real man for the big occasion. He was a better player than Giles.

Giles made a dreadful mistake in the decisive match at Wolves in '72 when Leeds only needed a draw to win the league. He completely fluffed an easy clearance after a Wolves player had made a very poor low cross after a short corner, and the deflection off his boot landed perfectly for a Wolves player who buried it. 

Leeds should have won the league in '72, the FA Cup in '70 and '73 and the European Cup in '75 but were runners-up in each. In '70 they were almost comically superior to Chelsea but somehow conspired to blow it twice. They were chiseled in '75 when Lorimer got a great volleyed goal which was wrongly disallowed. That would have put them 1-0 up at a crucial stage in the second half. Beckenbauer also got away with a stonewall penalty on Allan Clarke. Me oul' fella was at that match, I think he sort of half-followed that Leeds team.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Stop Giles was far superior to Bremner.

For 5/6 years Giles was probably the best CM in Europe.

We Irish forget how good he was due to him maybe playing too lonv for Eire.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:04pm
Another good result for Leeds today.

It's early days but on this form they won't be going down this season.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
Ayling was good 
Wild tackle by Dallas near the end 

Ederson actually won city a point despite making a big mistake for the goal. 
3 great one on one saves 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:30pm
Well worked opening goal from Leeds but this won't finish 1 0.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:50pm
You might well be right.
I'd take the 1 0
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm
Excellent away result today at Leicester.
Cracking goals .
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Excellent away result today at Leicester.
Cracking goals .

A very good result indeed , now Bamford scores again , i really did think he would be a lemon in the Prem but i got that one wrong .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 258>
  Share Topic