You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darron Gibson Tonight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:02pm

Personally I think Trap should start Wilson and Andrews if he is going to be conservative. If he wants to try a different approach he should play Fahey and Andrews. This is the last chance to give Wilson and Fahey an opportunity to break into the team before September. Whelan is injured, he knows what Gibson can do already and Green is Green.

Sponsored Links

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:41am
I dont know lads I thought he had a decent game. Sat back in that sort of Xabi ALonso role and sprayed a good few passes around I thought and what a ball for Valencia's goal. I was happy enough with what I saw from him. I do agree though that he becomes a bit anonymous at times, not the greatest trait in a central midfielder
AlanH View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I dont know lads I thought he had a decent game. Sat back in that sort of Xabi ALonso role and sprayed a good few passes around I thought and what a ball for Valencia's goal. I was happy enough with what I saw from him. I do agree though that he becomes a bit anonymous at times, not the greatest trait in a central midfielder

Agree with this.

He had a couple of excellent long-range passes in the first 15 minutes to switch the play and also got himself into shooting positions on a few occasions last night. He clearly has the confidence to have a shot at goal. However, as pointed out already, he has a tendency to drift in and out of games.
domo View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
Bring back Gary Breen
Shake and Bake
Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 7:23am

Darron Gibson believes he is ready to step up to the plate for Manchester United and the Republic of Ireland this season, after the gushing praise of Red Devils’ boss Sir Alex Ferguson in the wake of their win over an Airtricity League XI in the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday night.

Ferguson drew parallels between Gibson and Paul Scholes after the Derry man played an instrumental role in the United midfield as they hammered Damien Richardson's side 7-1 in the opening football game at the redeveloped Lansdowne Road venue.

“We expect Darron to play a big part this season,” Ferguson said.

“Last season he made his mark for me by scoring six goals.

“When Paul Scholes was Darron's age, he was getting 15 but playing a lot more games and I like to think if I gave Darron 20 games or so he'd give me 10 goals back.

“Without doubt he's got the ability to be a top player.

“He's got the power, the physique, the shooting ability, everything he needs to be a very good player indeed,” enthused Ferguson before his side jetted back to Manchester ahead of their Community Shield clash with Chelsea this weekend.

High praise indeed. But Gibson, 22, believes he is worth it, and thinks he can prove it for Manchester United this season having failed to nail down a regular first team spot in the last campaign.

“I think this year is even bigger than last year for me,” he said.

“I think I showed everyone what I could do last season.

“I've got one foot in the door and hopefully this year I can kick on and play a lot more games and establish myself.

“Obviously getting the games last year and scoring a few goals settles the nerves a bit and I do feel a lot more comfortable going in there.

“When you go in there first, sometimes you can be overawed by the big players but I've gradually worked my way into the squad and hopefully I can kick on from here and play a lot more.”

Gibson's international career has also been a stop-start one thus far as he played third-choice central-midfielder to Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews in Ireland's doomed World Cup campaign.

But, with Whelan missing out through injury in next Wednesday's friendly with Argentina, Gibson thinks it is a big opportunity for him to stake his claim for a starting berth for the forthcoming European Championship qualification campaign.

“Yeah obviously with Glenn Whelan getting injured during the week I think it gives me a chance to show what I can do so

hopefully everything goes well next week,” he said.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:13pm
Carrick's injured..things are opening up for him nicely. Is he god enough to hold a starting place with Man United and force Trap to reconsider his midfield..will make for interesting viewing in the next three weeks
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Carrick's injured..things are opening up for him nicely. Is he god enough to hold a starting place with Man United and force Trap to reconsider his midfield..will make for interesting viewing in the next three weeks

I only believe in one god. Our lord jesus christ.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He was part of a three man midfield trinity diamond formation anyway
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 4:52pm

LOLLOLLOLLOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 5:21pm

LOL Seriously though carricks injury is good news for gibson, Hargreaves wont be back for a while either and anderson is fooked too.
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 6:01pm

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick took part in an open training session on Saturday just 24 hours after being ruled out for two weeks with an ankle injury.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson had expected Carrick to miss Sunday's Community Shield clash with Chelsea at Wembley and the start of the Premier League season as a result of the injury he suffered in a friendly against an Irish League eleven on Wednesday.

But the former Tottenham star was at Old Trafford for the training work-out in front of the club's fans and looked to be moving freely during the session.

It remains to be seen if Carrick is fit enough for Sunday's match, but twins Rafael and Fabio da Silva - who have been suffering with food poisoning - also took part in training and could be in contention to feature against Chelsea.

houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:17am

Gibson not even in squad today. Whats story with that?

To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:05pm

Evans: Gibson has Scholes' ability to score goals

Monday, August 09, 2010 - 12:41 PM

Northern Ireland international Jonny Evans believes the Republic of Ireland's Darron Gibson has the goalscoring ability of Manchester United team mate Paul Scholes.

The United defender said: "He has got that ability to score goals from the middle of the field, you look at Scholes over the years, he brought us that.

"You look at Darron Gibson and he is good at getting into those areas and setting himself up for shots."

However, it took Gibson a while to find his form after loan deals to Royal Antwerp and Wolves which lead to speculation that he might be offloaded from Old Trafford.

But Evans said that Alex Ferguson saw something in Gibson to want to keep him in the squad.

He said: "There is always speculation about players. I think he will admit himself when he went to Wolves, he didn't play as much as he wanted and you automatically think 'you can't get into Wolves' team, then you can't play for Manchester United'.

"The manager (Alex Ferguson) sees different qualities that other managers don't see."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/evans-gibson-has-scholes-ability-to-score-goals-468574.html#ixzz0w93OsarD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic