You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darron Gibson Tonight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 11:10am
One of the lads over here who was at the games said he has high hopes for Gibson this season....and he's an England fan!!!!!!!
There are friendlier places to drink.
Sponsored Links

Propagandhi View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 11:14am
He has a good shot but atm that's where the similarities with Paul Scholes end. He doesn't tackle enough. He doesn't get on the ball enough. He can't pick out a pass. The potential is there but he's 23 soon, he needs to start fulfilling it.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Propagandhi Propagandhi wrote:

He has a good shot but atm that's where the similarities with Paul Scholes end. He doesn't tackle enough. He doesn't get on the ball enough. He can't pick out a pass. The potential is there but he's 23 soon, he needs to start fulfilling it.

agreed, he should be in his prime. it is time to break into the first team regularly, not just the "preliminary rounds of the league cup/sometimes make the bench" role
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by domo domo wrote:

You must be a utd fan picking up for Gibson Carling cup goals are pointless.So if ya wana chat about your utd team go to foot.ie this is for the Ireland team only.
One more thing i dont follow any of that crap in England its people like you that the football in Ireland is so bad if people gave as much intrest in the irish clubs as they did in England we would do well

and you're basing this player's ability on his carling cup performances? he's only started one game for ireland..are we meant to base our opinion of this player on that one start? when he came on against italy in bari, he actually added vitality to the team and was involved in some of the best play which thus spurred the team to a draw. i think he will start alongside whelan in the qualifiers and the two will get it right this time. whelan is more experienced now and has become more comfortable on the ball and picking out passes which can rub off on gibson. "i don't follow any of that crap in england"...therefore you have no right to be bashing gibson. if you actually watched football, you'd know that gibson had some credible performances when he did play last season. but one must remember, when fletcher was starting out in the united line up, he wasn't the finished product at all at all and under the guidance of fergie, has become one of the best central midfielders in the premiership. "people like me"..as another poster so correctly said, who are you to come out with statements like this..you don't know me? and i'll have you know that i have been to plenty of st pat's games over the last few years so get your facts straight. i'm perfectly entitled to support whoever i want and i chose to support united because my great grandparents were from manchester.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

You must be a utd fan picking up for Gibson Carling cup goals are pointless.So if ya wana chat about your utd team go to foot.ie this is for the Ireland team only.
One more thing i dont follow any of that crap in England its people like you that the football in Ireland is so bad if people gave as much intrest in the irish clubs as they did in England we would do well

"i don't follow any of that crap in england"...therefore you have no right to be bashing gibson. if you actually watched football, you'd know that gibson had some credible performances when he did play last season

Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
domo View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 3:22am
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

and you're basing this player's ability on his carling cup performances? he's only started one game for ireland..are we meant to base our opinion of this player on that one start? when he came on against italy in bari, he actually added vitality to the team and was involved in some of the best play which thus spurred the team to a draw. i think he will start alongside whelan in the qualifiers and the two will get it right this time. whelan is more experienced now and has become more comfortable on the ball and picking out passes which can rub off on gibson. "i don't follow any of that crap in england"...therefore you have no right to be bashing gibson. if you actually watched football, you'd know that gibson had some credible performances when he did play last season. but one must remember, when fletcher was starting out in the united line up, he wasn't the finished product at all at all and under the guidance of fergie, has become one of the best central midfielders in the premiership. "people like me"..as another poster so correctly said, who are you to come out with statements like this..you don't know me? and i'll have you know that i have been to plenty of st pat's games over the last few years so get your facts straight. i'm perfectly entitled to support whoever i want and i chose to support united because my great grandparents were from manchester.
Sorry i was a bit out of orderCryi hope i am proved wrong mateThumbs%20Up
Shake and Bake
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 12:19pm
Gibson,very poor again last night.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Gibson,very poor again last night.

poor in what way exactly? we have to have faith in this player like fergie does, he obviously sees something in him otherwise he wouldn't hae made him agree a new contract.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 7:26pm
Poor in the he gave the ball away under no pressure several times,failed to put in any tackles,didnt work hard enough imo,made no positive input in the game for United kind of way.

Id love him to become a great player,as an Ireland and United fan nothing would make me happier but this lad is MILES off being a top player.Apart from having a great smack off a ball he has little else going for him.I dont see him train day in day out but Ive seen most of the minutes hes played for Ireland and United and have never said to myself that Gibson has been great or even had a very good game.

As a United fan id sell him and i think that would be a good move for Ireland too.He needs to play 30-40 games a season at this stage in his career.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 7:31pm
I agree with The Boy Z. Let's hope Darron gets a fire in his belly and proves some of us wrong.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:10am

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI is backing Darron Gibson to make a real impression at Manchester United this season.

The Republic of Ireland boss is expecting the midfielder to become a mainstay in Sir Alex Ferguson's team after scoring a splendid free-kick in the match against the MLS All-Stars.

Trap said: "Yes, I think Darron can play for United. Sure, Manchester United is a great team with many international players but he has the hunger and the quality."

And Trap once again stated that he believes Aiden McGeady would benefit from a move away from Celtic, saying: "It might be a good change for the player. The English League is better."

It's also clear the Italian intends to bore Ireland fans en route to Euro qualification.

The Italian coach, who has a reputation for conservative tactics, reckons the modern game suits organised and defensive sides.

Trap said: "Look at Spain's World Cup victory. They did it with 1-0 victories all the way.

"That is the way the game has gone. Because of tactical discipline and the overall improvement of formerly weaker countries, every team in the world is hard to break down.

GIBSON:%20United%20midfielder
GIBSON: United midfielder

"We made progress in the last two years, but we must continue to improve again if we want to achieve qualification.

"We have the personality. But we can get better, better even than the way we played in Paris against France.

"We have to clarify why we make mistakes which cost us goals, like the one Italy scored against us in Croke Park, to force a draw. In this campaign, we have to ensure we do not lose the ball so easily.

"So our attitude will be to always look for the first goal in a game, but then to be careful. If you have a goal, then you must not give your opponent space to play.

"I watched the World Cup. Teams had only one shot at goal per half hour. That is the nature of football today. Teams have a lot of ball possession, but not that many shots on target."

wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 10:42am
in trap we trust
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 5:37pm

Two games in the capital in the space of a week could define the season for Manchester United man Darron Gibson.

The Derry native is part of the United squad which flew into Dublin this morning ahead of tonight's friendly at the new Lansdowne Road, the first soccer game to be played at the Dublin 4 venue, and while it's uncertain if Wayne Rooney -- fresh from his Smokegate scandal -- will start, United boss Alex Ferguson has already stated that Ireland internationals Gibson and John O'Shea will both start against an Airtricity League XI.

Gibson is praying that another good display in the red shirt in Dublin tonight will see him earn a place in United's starting team for the coming season.

Just a week later Gibson will be back in the capital, part of the Ireland squad which takes on Argentina in a friendly next Wednesday. Now that Glenn Whelan - who has almost been an ever-present in the Irish side under Giovanni Trapattoni - will miss that game due to injury, it's a chance for Gibson to stake a claim in the Ireland XI for the opening bout of the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Armenia next month.

"It's a big week for me and I am desperate to do well," Gibson told the Herald. "Tonight's game against the League of Ireland team is only a friendly but it's our last friendly of the pre-season and it's a great chance for me to show the manager here at United what I can do.

"I had a decent run with United last season but I want to play more this year," added Gibson, who scored five goals in 23 appearances for the Red Devils last term.

"Every pre-season my aim is to establish myself in the United team and play every week and this year is no different. I had a good pre-season, I played well in the friendly games and scored a goal, so I hope I can carry that into the game in Dublin tonight and then into the Premier League season.

"We'll have a tough game against the League of Ireland lads and it's a chance to show the manager at United what I can do for the team."

"If Glenn is out for the Argentina match then it's a real chance for me so that game next week is a massive one for me as well," he added.

elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 5:39pm
Super ball from him for Valencias goal tonight. He can disappear in a game far too much for my liking though.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:07pm
How did everyone think he played tonight?
I feel like im getting a vendetta against the lad cos i thought he was absolutley rubbish tonight.Joey Ndo made a show of him.Very poor IMO.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by elroy45 elroy45 wrote:

Super ball from him for Valencias goal tonight. He can disappear in a game far too much for my liking though.

that's always been my problem when i've seen him, he never takes enough control of a game for a centre mid. Big season ahead for the lad, i still dont think he'll be good enough for United unfortunately...
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:38pm
not a fan at all thinkhes sh*t but was thinking tonight while watching him play darren fletcher wasnt the greatest when he first played for man ud and hes excellent now somaybe there hope for him
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 6:58pm
Thought he was poor tonight. Gave the ball away a lot and his first touch was poor. Lets hope he improves if he plays against the argies
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic