You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Holland 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The win over Germany was a bigger achievement given the amount of possession and chances they had.

Beating the Dutch wrapped up World Cup qualification. Only a formality of an Asian play off remained. I think that was a bigger achievement then the German game, which may yet end up achieving nothing. 
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The game was nothing like last week's win over Germany. The only reason the Netherlands had a hatful of chances in the second half is because we were down to 10 men (we had already drawn 2-2 in Amsterdam and should have won comfortably there).

The win over Germany was a bigger achievement given the amount of possession and chances they had.

Kluivert should have had two in the first half !!!

Ireland had chances too though : Robbie Keane had a great game and ran at the Dutch defence all day long, and the likes of Duff, Keane and McAteer put in a great shift in midfield.

Our memories of that game have been slightly coloured by the fact that we were down to 10 men for the last half hour and the Dutch ended up with four strikers on the pitch.

In terms of upsets though and being up against it, the Irish win over Germany was much more significant : the Germans totally dominated the first hour in terms of possession and chances, we hardly got a look in.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:29pm
Ah the Dutch were all over us long before Kelly got sent off. Kluivert should have scored after about 2 minutes, easy chance, rolled wide in slow motion. Zenden had another great chance in the first half were Given was about 15 yards off his line and Zenden was just outside the box and he passed it straight into Given's arms.

Right from the 1st minute the Dutch were on top.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:49pm
The Germans could afford to lose last week, the Dutch couldn't in this game. That's the difference. And at the end the tannoy played A Nation Once Again...not some U2 dirge.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:53pm
It's scary how time is flying by.  I remember it like it was yesterday :(

The 'Speed' theme for the intro and the Bulmers commericals at the breaks.

Jesus Brady, Giles, Dunphy and Van Gaal have changed.  As have ICry 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The Germans could afford to lose last week, the Dutch couldn't in this game. That's the difference. And at the end the tannoy played A Nation Once Again...not some U2 dirge.

The game was more of a tall order for NL than people think, even a late equaliser wouldn't have gotten them into the play offs (final group table read Ireland 24 NL 20)
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

A great recent upload on YouTube of the RTE panel at Pre/HT/FT of the great win over the dutch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atgkS8L6axk

Giles saying he would have played Quinn and gone more direct as Holland better technically. Yet now thinks we should try play possession football with inferior players technically. Absolute bluffer.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

A great recent upload on YouTube of the RTE panel at Pre/HT/FT of the great win over the dutch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atgkS8L6axk

Giles saying he would have played Quinn and gone more direct as Holland better technically. Yet now thinks we should try play possession football with inferior players technically. Absolute bluffer.

Some of the comments made about the dutch players are priceless...especially those players that went on to have great careers - absolute spoofers in the studio LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

U2 played Slane that night - Lansdowne was rocking at the end remember they played 'Elevation' over the tannoy- I thought the West Stand was going to collapse.

Although all downhill after that...Cry

Picture says a thousand words, if you didn't know either of the opposition you'd swear Mick was an opposing manager, so much tension. 

Edited by irelandfan - 16 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

U2 played Slane that night - Lansdowne was rocking at the end remember they played 'Elevation' over the tannoy- I thought the West Stand was going to collapse.

Although all downhill after that...Cry

Picture says a thousand words, if you didn't know either of the opposition you'd swear Mick was an opposing manager, so much tension. 

It doesn't in this case. If you watch the youtube clip on this thread you will see they are both facing each other when shaking hands. The pic above is the last split second of their interaction.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

anyone (worm Thumbs Up) got the match online anywhere we can download?
Just seen this, might just have the full match (in Dutch) somewhere at my parents' place...might just have a look next time I'm there, only for my aul pal Count Thumbs Up

Been hoping to find the RTE coverage as well

Edited by theworm2345 - 17 Oct 2015 at 5:16pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 9:33am
More appropriate bump
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

More appropriate bump
Just watched the goal again. Totes emosh.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:20am
The old Lansdowne Rd😍
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 12:24pm
18 focking years ago today!  That aint right Jeff.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 12:40pm
South Bucket temporary stand nearly fell apart after the goal went in.
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 1:15pm
If I remember correctly, the whole South stand was more like a terrace from Jason's goal onwards. Nobody sitting. Best atmosphere I've ever experienced. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
They don't do Lansdowne roars like that anymore 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic