You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Hughton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:12am

We're under no illusions. Hughton will have the same hand to play with as Kenny. But Hughton will get us organised at the back, have us compact and make us hard to beat. That's a major part of getting results. We have been very leaky and soft under Kenny.

For my money, we'll be a tougher nut to crack under Hughton. 

He would be a fantastic appointment. 
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:14am
I'm pro Kenny, so I'm of the opinion to wait til end of the campaign and do proper evaluation then.

If he has to be gotten rid of, fair enough, but Hughton?...please

Would much rather spend the money on a younger coach with a view to once again .. building a team. Hughton would have no interest in such an idea.

Either way, FAI don't have money to be throwing around. The next appointment would have to be "right". No point going in a sacking and hiring loop with no actualal plan. We don't have the players for any kind of instant success 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'm pro Kenny, so I'm of the opinion to wait til end of the campaign and do proper evaluation then.

If he has to be gotten rid of, fair enough, but Hughton?...please

Would much rather spend the money on a younger coach with a view to once again .. building a team. Hughton would have no interest in such an idea.

Either way, FAI don't have money to be throwing around. The next appointment would have to be "right". No point going in a sacking and hiring loop with no actualal plan. We don't have the players for any kind of instant success 

Not qualifying for Germany in Euro24 and missing out on those funds will not help develop the game.....no matter how times one center half plays a sideways pass to another centre half and so forth

We need to tighten up at the back. We should a Premier league standard defence and be very formidable from set pieces. Any manager worth his salt recognises this.

We can only hope someo e comes through in the top third.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

We're under no illusions. Hughton will have the same hand to play with as Kenny. But Hughton will get us organised at the back, have us compact and make us hard to beat. That's a major part of getting results. We have been very leaky and soft under Kenny.

I agree with a lot of that but we are also organised at the back with Kenny, we're not leaking goals and held a very good line vs Portugal. I dont share the idea that the defence is disorganised.

You could say we conceded goals but that was down to individual error rather that the shape of the team. Coleman didn't close his man, mcclean attempt to block a cross etc.

The problem is scoring goals, and has been for years now. We have been heavily reliant on set pieces to the point that we've become very predictable. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:20am
Hughton has a CV that should be out of our reach but the stars look like they will align to have him within our reach.

Kenny is on over 550k and Robbie on 250k, both of those contracts are up next year - that is a big pot of money that will immediately become free. The FAI are in difficulty but Hughton is on record as wanting to manage us and his stock is low thanks to his stupidity in taking the Forest job. I expect that we will be able to come to a financial arrangement with him.

Little doubt in my mind that one of the most proven Irish managers of all time would have us better off than Kenny. With Hughton and his great track record we could look forward to Euro 24 qualifying with a real chance of going.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree with a lot of that but we are also organised at the back with Kenny, we're not leaking goals and held a very good line vs Portugal. I dont share the idea that the defence is disorganised.

You could say we conceded goals but that was down to individual error rather that the shape of the team. Coleman didn't close his man, mcclean attempt to block a cross etc.

The problem is scoring goals, and has been for years now. We have been heavily reliant o

n set pieces to the point that we've become very predictable. 

How many clean sheets has Kenny kept in 16 games against primarily mediocre opposition?

We have become soft under him. We lack bite and aggression
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:26am
The fact is, Hughton with our current squad will not guarantee qualification. If we fail to qualify, what then? 

My issue isn't Kenny being sacked, it's reverting to out dated tactics with a squad that would probably prevent relegation in premier League but won't come close to anything else.

This is about building something sustainable.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:28am

The fact is, Hughton with our current squad will not guarantee qualification. If we fail to qualify, what then? 

My issue isn't Kenny being sacked, it's reverting to out dated tactics with a squad that would probably prevent relegation in premier League but won't come close to anything else.

No guarantee.  But a better chance for sure.

I don't get the whole building narrative. The players will.be picked on merit.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:30am

No guarantee.  But a better chance for sure.

I don't get the whole building narrative. The players will.be picked on merit.

The players will be picked to suit a style and system under Hughton. 

I want a manager who will pick on merit. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:32am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'd be disappointed if the powers that be got twitchy thumbs as a result of this decision at Forest. Its not like would be headhunting Hughton at a point when he is flying high.

If he was flying high we wouldn't have a hope of getting him. Even now he might be out of range for us. But he'd be a massive upgrade on the current manager at the same time so it's easy to see why there might be interest on our side.

And if Hughton failed to get results with one of our weakest and youngest squad in most of our living memories what then? sack him and get someone else in again?

At some point, probably, yes. Every Ireland manager in the last 40 years has been, in one sense or another, sacked or moved on eventually - Hand, Charlton, McCarthy, Kerr, Staunton, Trap, O'Neill, McCarthy a second time - albeit in different and unusual circumstances. That will be the outcome for Kenny too.

That's football. Managers change, you just have to hope that they achieve some success while theyre in the job. Kenny hasn't and, if we're being honest, won't. Hughton or someone else may do better. Give them a full campaign to see what they can do, like Kenny is getting, then take it from there. If he's as unsuccessful as Kenny then, yes, there would need to be another change made. Probably he'd be more successful though, given Kenny's win rate in the job.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:32am
Can someone get me up to speed here.. People say he was foolish to take the Forest job, why is this? Budget constraints? Board level issues?

Never really followed them with interest so from an outsider view I think they have been through a few managers but having had a look at Houghton he appeared to bring in a fair few players pre season so I'd like to think he had time to put his own stamp on things... but looks like he failed to get any sort of result. Are people hiding behind the "basket case" club line?

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:33am

The problem is scoring goals, and has been for years now. We have been heavily reliant o

How many clean sheets has Kenny kept in 16 games against primarily mediocre opposition?

Bite and aggression is not a tactic. That's player implementation and is the players responsibility.

Coleman should have had bite and aggression in the last game for their goal but if Kenny needs to tell him that then we're lost. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:37am

Bite and aggression is not a tactic. That's player implementation and is the players responsibility.

Coleman should have had bite and aggression in the last game for their goal but if Kenny needs to tell him that then we're lost. 

It raises the question of motivational skill.

Incidents like the one described above raises this question.

The manager motivates the players. We had serious bite under MON.

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

some people on here drooling from the mouth about bringing in Hughton. hes been sacked at Forest for a reason. basket case or not.

Precisely!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:49am

It raises the question of motivational skill.

Incidents like the one described above raises this question.

The manager motivates the players. We had serious bite under MON.

Can you define "serious bite" please? 

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:13pm
I think you’ll see Hughton was sacked by more than Forest. Same posters spamming threads about Kenny non stop.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm

I'm certainly not advocating binning Kenny at all but just to indulge the Hughton to Ireland talk for a minute. 
How much is Hughton generally charging the likes of Forest, Brighton Newcastle? £1m-£1.5m maybe? I honestly don't know so that's a total guess. 
Anyway, we appear to have €500k-€750k to offer if we are factoring that Kenny and Robbie would be coming off the wagebill in this hypothetical scenario.
Our gig is a part time one, which requires how many days work per year? Aside from scouting, analysis and sponsors, there's probably 30 days a year that you are working with the Senior team?
€500k-€750 is not bad at all for that in comparison to €1.5m for all the hassle that goes with working for Mike Ashley
El Puto Amo
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:22pm
yes, lets ignore all the other aspects of the game and just practice set pieces!

I'm sure the fans will all flock to the Aviva for Chris Hughton's fantastic flying aerial assault team
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic