Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chris Hughton
Posted By: brianie
Subject: Chris Hughton
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 1:03pm
Manager of The Month for September, Well Done ChrisClap

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Replies:
Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 1:04pm
Clap Good man Chris

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: eh_check
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 5:07pm
good man some job he is doing up at newcastleThumbs%20Up

-------------
G'WAN YBIG

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 5:10pm
Clap

Good man Chris

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 5:36pm
quality Chris, well deserved Clap

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:40am

Brighton have sacked Chris Hughton 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:42am
Very harsh on him 

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:43am
Harsh is right, did a great job there.

Few quid on them to go down next season.

Posted By: nvidic
Hope they get relegated, same as Ipswich after Mick was forced out

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Unfortunate but tbh they were f**king woeful this season, only survived due to the 3 below them being woeful beyond compare

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:44am
Absolutely ridiculous decision and the sort that often ends in relegation the next season for those sort of clubs. 

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:47am
Absolutely shocked with that, can see a situation similar to Ipswich after McCarthy was sacked last year!

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:48am
Didn't something similar happen to him at Newcastle years back? I suppose from the boards POV, the sank a load of money into the club last summer yet saw the team disimprove this year; still harsh though.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:54am
Bloody hell. He didn't deserve that.

What exactly did Brighton's owners expect them to do this season, finish in seventh or eighth place ? With the players and money he had available, Chris Hughton did a very respectable job.

is it possible that Brighton's owners had promised the job to someone else whilst Hughton was still manager ?

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:56am

I think the style of play might be a secondary factor after the recent results. Overall Hughton has done a great job but Brighton are not easy on the eye to watch. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Reillers88
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:56am
Ludicrous decision- they are odds on for relegation next season. I wonder will we see him managing Ireland at some point? 

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:57am
Had to double check to see if Brighton were relegated.
Extremely harsh considering the job he's done since he was there.
Would love to see him in the Irish job

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Unfortunate but tbh they were f**king woeful this season, only survived due to the 3 below them being woeful beyond compare

As harsh as the sacking may seem, I doubt he would have lasted past October. His signings haven't worked out and they were brutal to watch. He had done a great job to get them where they were, but were lucky that Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham were as bad as they were or they'd have gone down.

Could see him at a West Brom next season.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:01am
f**king ludicrous hope they go down next year 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

f**king ludicrous hope they go down next year 
. Very harsh decision.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:07am
Won 3 games in 23 and apparently it's a bad decision. Didn't even hit 40 points.

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:13am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I think the style of play might be a secondary factor after the recent results. Overall Hughton has done a great job but Brighton are not easy on the eye to watch. 

Pragmatic manager. They played great football to watch in the Championship. Not really a Premier league squad there to be fair. 

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:18am
I was sad that I couldn’t warm to Brighton, especially with the Hughton and Duffy connection. But their boring colours, turgid style, yellow pack stadium made me look at the in the way I would Wigan, Stoke etc. As such I wouldn’t shed too many tears had they gone down.

That said. Hughton has been excellent with them, and they will start s 3rd PL season in August.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:19am
They haven't been good in the last 4 months in fairness. Still done a really good job with them  over all. He won't be out of work for long

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:25am
yup they have been very poor and were lucky to stay up , cardiff hammered them that night they played when a win would have guaranteed that they stayed up . 

still very harsh on him though , he kept them up after all 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:31am
As has been said already, they stayed up mainly because the 3 teams below them were woeful. He did well to last this long given how brutal Brighton have been this season. Spent a lot of money in the summer, and yet they didn't progress one single bit.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:32am
They'll end up gettting someone like Pardew 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:33am
I’d be amazed if they pick up a “Merry-go-Round” manager. They’ll undoubtedly try to headhunt somebody or scout a manager that appears to be building.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

They'll end up gettting someone like Pardew 

Or Moyes.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:51am
Would he take the Celtic Job?? 

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:52am
Awful season for Brighton, FA cup semi finalists and avoiding relegation? I'd have Hughton's head on a stick

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:54am
Some of the bookies already have the Swansea manager, Graham Potter, as their favourite for the Brighton job.

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Would he take the Celtic Job?? 

He should be considered, but id say he'll want a premier league , championship job.  

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

What exactly did Brighton's owners expect them to do this season, finish in seventh or eighth place ? With the players and money he had available, Chris Hughton did a very respectable job.

is it possible that Brighton's owners had promised the job to someone else whilst Hughton was still manager ?

He spent £140million in two seasons.

Burnley have spent £140million in five seasons.

Hughton is a decent manager, no denying that but no one can say he didn't have a good transfer kitty available to him.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Didn't something similar happen to him at Newcastle years back? I suppose from the boards POV, the sank a load of money into the club last summer yet saw the team disimprove this year; still harsh though.

Newcastle was a whole different kettle, he was 11th at the time, that was a terrible decision especially since we got Pardew in to replace him.

I think people should probably take the green glasses off here.

While I'll agree it was slightly harsh I also think he has probably brought Brigthon as far as he could.

They went on a winless run of 9 games at the end of the season and tbh never looked like actually winning a game in that time. (In fact they only won 3 games since Christmas)

It may have been a case that the players have lost trust in him too.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

He spent £140million in two seasons.

Burnley have spent £140million in five seasons.

Hughton is a decent manager, no denying that but no one can say he didn't have a good transfer kitty available to him.

Think he spent around £100m in two years and had the third lowest budget in the league according to their forum. Transfer committee deciding on potential purchases. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:44am
No they spent £60m in the 17/18 season and £80m in the 18/19 season.

Only £12m recouped from sales.

I think it's all gone rather stale at Brighton, it was probably best they parted company (from both sides) imo.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops that Brighton are a shoe in to get relegated next season as some suggest, just because Houghton is gone either.

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:46am
The expectations at the club are incremental improvements year and year. The 2019 results suggest that’s not happening so the risk for the club so stick and see what happens first 2 / 3 months next season or twist and bring some be in.

Harsh on CH.... third lowest spenders suggests the expectation should be a little lower. 

I couldn’t name more than 5 players at the club.

Stevie G has got to be the answer after that swashbuckling performance from his team yesterday.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The expectations at the club are incremental improvements year and year. The 2019 results suggest that’s not happening so the risk for the club so stick and see what happens first 2 / 3 months next season or twist and bring some be in.

Harsh on CH.... third lowest spenders suggests the expectation should be a little lower. 

I couldn’t name more than 5 players at the club.

Stevie G has got to be the answer after that swashbuckling performance from his team yesterday.

They would be down by November.LOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:53am
Those "I hope they go down next season" posts are extremely petty and childish its unreal LOL

Brighton a well-run club so there's no lunacy behind the logic. 
What Chris has done with Glenn Murray has been nothing short of incredible and they won twice in the M25 derby, unfortunately it's about the only positives they've had this season.

They need a man much more experienced than Graham Potter if they want to stay up however.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:04pm

No they spent £60m in the 17/18 season and £80m in the 18/19 season.

Only £12m recouped from sales.

I think it's all gone rather stale at Brighton, it was probably best they parted company (from both sides) imo.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops that Brighton are a shoe in to get relegated next season as some suggest, just because Houghton is gone either.

Says £54m and £58m on soccerbase, none of those, transfer sites are entirely accurate. There's another one transfer history site showing €22.5m for Aleš Matějů rather than the £2m he cost. Either way, he was operating on a very low budget and finished around where that budget should. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:18pm
The handicap table is normally a reasonably good guide to see how a manager did compared to expectations.

1. Liverpool (+7) 104 pts
J2. Man City (+0) 98 pts
J2 Watford (+48) 98 pts
4. Crystal Palace (+44) 93 pts
J5 Leicester (+39) 91 pts
J5 West Ham ( +39) 91 pts
7 Bournemouth (+45) 90 pts
8 Newcastle (+44) 89 pts
9 Everton ( +34) 88 pts
J10 Arsenal (+17) 87 pts
J10 Wolves (+40) 87 pts
J10 Cardiff (+53) 87 pts
J13 Chelsea (+13) 85 pts
J13 Burnley (+45) 85 pts
15 Spurs (+13) 84 pts
16 Brighton (+45) 81 pts
17 Southampton (+41) 80 pts
18 Man Utd (+10) 75 pts
19. Fulham ( +48) 74 pts
20 'uddersfield (+52) 68 pts

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: niallmc
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Hope they get relegated, same as Ipswich after Mick was forced out

Was thinking the same thing.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 1:05pm
someone posted up 3 wins from 23. Big risk to stick with a manager that might have a terrible start. 

Southampton and Watford have sacked managers and it hasn't done them any harm. If it goes well the board are geniuses, if it doesn't it's sack the board

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

someone posted up 3 wins from 23. Big risk to stick with a manager that might have a terrible start. 

Southampton and Watford have sacked managers and it hasn't done them any harm. If it goes well the board are geniuses, if it doesn't it's sack the board

Also got them to a cup semi in that time and did enough to keep them up with draws when it counted. 

I've always thought that a poor half a season isn't long enough to sack a manager who's done well for four years before that. Should have enough credit in the bank to work to turn it round during the transfer window. Clubs generally finish close to where they are on the budget list and he achieved that. 

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:11pm
Not just at Brighton, but it seems to me that a lot of clubs have developed "Leicester Syndrome".
Leicesters league win seems to raised unachievable expectations within the hierarchy of historically ranked middle to lower level clubs.
Survival in the EPL should be seen as success for Brighton. Look how much money Fulham spent and where they ended up.

It could be that he has reached his shelf life at Brighton and a new challange might do him good.

Wonder what Stephen Kenny makes of it all ?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:12pm
he will join a championship club, get them promoted to the prem, keep them up, then get the boot.

Posted By: AonSceal19
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Wolves did hold on to McCarthy after a dreadful end to the season and they finished bottom the following season. Interesting to see how Brighton do next season. I like Hughton but let’s be honest the Premier League has really benefited from the modern attacking managers like Nuno, Howe, Hassenhuttl and Garcia. The less of the likes of Pardew, Allardyce, Moyes, Warnock, Hughes, Hodgson and Pulis the better in my eyes. 

-------------
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:16pm
An excellent manager and one of the sport's true gentlemen, but what impressed me most about Hughton is finding out that he had a regular column in The News Line in the 1970s. What a cool guy!

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:01pm
He'd do well up at celtic, get a couple of years winning trophies and gain some European experience

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

An excellent manager and one of the sport's true gentlemen, but what impressed me most about Hughton is finding out that he had a regular column in The News Line in the 1970s. What a cool guy!
Was it not the ‘Morning Star’? Either way, much respect! 

-------------

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:22pm
West Brom

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:42pm
Probably bad news for Jayson Molumby who Hughton seemed to be a fan of. Hopefully whoever they get in is not afraid of giving young players a chance and likes both Molumby and Connolly.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Won 3 games in 23 and apparently it's a bad decision. Didn't even hit 40 points.
Eh correct me if I’m wrong here but his remit would have been to secure premier football for next season, CHECK

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:01pm
It's a thin line. A couple a more matches left in the league and they may have run out of road. And as has been mentioned if the 3 teams below weren't soooo dreadfully crap also, they would have been guaranteed relegation, and nobody would have argued with his sacking.

I think the board are pragmatic enough and see where this is going. I also think things have gone stale and I don't know if the players will have another season in them playing the way they're playing. The board obviously don't want to make a decision next December if things are still not working out so it's perfectly understandable that they've made it now and just given the new manager the whole summer to bed in.

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Was it not the ‘Morning Star’? Either way, much respect! 

Says The News Line here:

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:50pm
Finished 15th last season with 40 points and then given a few quid to spend so his target would not have been to simply survive relegation in the 2nd season.

Harsh and all as it may feel for Hughton, for the club, it shows ambition and time will tell if it was the right decision.

Pity the FAI didn't sack people as quickly.

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Finished 15th last season with 40 points and then given a few quid to spend so his target would not have been to simply survive relegation in the 2nd season.

Harsh and all as it may feel for Hughton, for the club, it shows ambition and time will tell if it was the right decision.

Most accurate assessment so far.

Factor in also his big money signings contributed to 1 goal and 1 assist over an accumulated 59 games this season, it's just clear that the Chairman is seeking a fresh approach rather than having any agenda against Chris

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:18pm
There's a bit of green tinted glasses stuff here I think, the football was well organised but dull, signings (though not clear if those were solely Hughton's signings) didn't work, they were lucky Fulham & Huddersfield proved as incapable as they did, plenty teams have been relegated with 36 points in the past. Glenn Murray's goals and little else kept them up this year, and at his age, those appearances and goals are likely to start diminishing fast enough. 

Hughton undoubtedly did a good job overall, and maybe it is a harsh decision, but one thing it isn't is a rash one. Tony Bloom is a professional gambler who uses algorithms & stats as the basis for most of his decisions, he's either after coming to the conclusion that some other manager (Potter maybe) is over-performing and wants to give him a go, or he has seen some downward trend(s) he doesn't think Hughton was capable of rectifying. He may prove to be completely incorrect about either of those things, but I suppose that's why him & his ilk are called gamblers. 

Bournemouth aren't a bad comparison budget & expectations wise, but Howe takes the risk of shipping some awful defeats trying to play decent football while knowing that on the days the football works well, he'll get his share of wins too- its a formula that has worked for him so far. You can kind of see Hassenhutil at Southampton has much the same idea. Hughton is cautious to the last and like a lot of the old school managers, starts out with the aim of not losing, winning is a bonus rather than the aim. 

The achievements of Pep, Klopp & Poch and the type of football those gents teams play are likely also influencing these owners, and certainly fans, if yer going to finish in the bottom half anyway, may as well make it look entertaining- Hughton couldn't be accused of that. Be a good manager for someone like Middlesborogh who are knocking on the door of playoffs the last few years but not genuine promotion contenders, Hughton has established a track record in that division, he'll be back shortly enough and likely prove successful as well. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Probably bad news for Jayson Molumby who Hughton seemed to be a fan of. Hopefully whoever they get in is not afraid of giving young players a chance and likes both Molumby and Connolly.

If he got the Celtic job may take the two lads with him which could be beneficial for both

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:20am
He won’t be anywhere near the Celtic job. He will be back in the Championship next season.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:57pm
Seen something on Twitter that suggested there's a lot of people being influenced by the Ireland connection. If the exact same had happened to Warnock, no one would have cared less and probably agreed with the decision.

Hughton was very hard done by with the Newcastle but this one is possibly justified.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Seen something on Twitter that suggested there's a lot of people being influenced by the Ireland connection. If the exact same had happened to Warnock, no one would have cared less and probably agreed with the decision.

Hughton was very hard done by with the Newcastle but this one is possibly justified.

Brighton are a side that had spent four years of their entire existence in the top flight before he took them up. He's kept them up with the third lowest budget and a team that's basically Championship standard for what will now be three seasons. He also kept Norwich up previously and had Newcastle mid-tabe when they sacked him.

Neil Warnock has never kept a team in the top flight despite four attempts with four different clubs over the last 27 years. 

So not really a fair comparison, is it? 

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:56pm
Yeah I think the more recent signings have been his undoing ultimately. Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locadia were all expensive enough and have been massive flops. On their current trajectory they almost certainly would have been relegated next season so don't think it's that crazy a move by the board. Parting ways now gives both Hughton and the club the whole summer to sort themselves out as well.

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:58pm

Always happens with Irish Legends. His goals against England in 88 and Italy in 94 will always keep him in fan's hearts. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: Tony Cousins
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:01pm

Seen something on Twitter that suggested there's a lot of people being influenced by the Ireland connection.

Of course they are.

As if anyone would give a flying f**k about Brighton sacking their manager if it wasn't a Paddy.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:03pm

He won’t be anywhere near the Celtic job. He will be back in the Championship next season.

Wouldn't a spell in Scotland be a nice change from the Championship? 

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Brighton are a side that had spent four years of their entire existence in the top flight before he took them up. He's kept them up with the third lowest budget and a team that's basically Championship standard for what will now be three seasons. He also kept Norwich up previously and had Newcastle mid-tabe when they sacked him.

Neil Warnock has never kept a team in the top flight despite four attempts with four different clubs over the last 27 years. 

Norwich is hardly a great example of his management skills. Granted, he did keep them up in his first season, but then went on to spend a fair bit of money on players that turned out to be wasters, played horrible football, and had fans furious. In other words, exactly the same thing that has happened at Brighton.

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Wouldn't a spell in Scotland be a nice change from the Championship? 
As a Celtic fan, no thanks. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:25pm
I'd say the situation at Forest would appeal to Chris the most.

If MON starts the next season badly he's a dead man walking, quite a few fans there largely unconvinced and there's plenty of investment from the Owners there, it's a good job for any experienced Championship manager

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:46pm

I've already stated that his sacking from Newcastle was unwarranted. 

They may have the 3rd lowest budget, but Brighton also have the 6th highest net spend  (130m GBP) since June 2016. Brighton may well regret his sacking but his side are very lucky to have beaten relegation. 

I feel he should have been given the first couple of months of the new season to turn it around, but 2 wins in 23 and any manager will be sacked, regardless of what has been achieved at the club previously. 

-------------

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:18pm

I've already stated that his sacking from Newcastle was unwarranted. 

They may have the 3rd lowest budget, but Brighton also have the 6th highest net spend  (130m GBP) since June 2016. Brighton may well regret his sacking but his side are very lucky to have beaten relegation. 

I feel he should have been given the first couple of months of the new season to turn it around, but 2 wins in 23 and any manager will be sacked, regardless of what has been achieved at the club previously. 

Net spend shouldn’t really come into it here. Anyone with any value at all they wouldn’t be selling. Anyone they would have sold would have been worth f**k all as they wouldn’t have been up to scratch for premiership 

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Norwich is hardly a great example of his management skills. Granted, he did keep them up in his first season, but then went on to spend a fair bit of money on players that turned out to be wasters, played horrible football, and had fans furious. In other words, exactly the same thing that has happened at Brighton.

They finished 11th under him which is the 5th best season in their history. 

They were relegated after sacking him despite being clear of the bottom three when they pulled the trigger. Taken them till now to get back. 

Regardless, his PL record is streets ahead of Warnock which was the point. 

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 6:26pm
finishing in 17th was their fourth best final position in their history, 15th last year was their second. Best ever was 13th in 1981/82

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

finishing in 17th was their fourth best final position in their history, 15th last year was their second. Best ever was 13th in 1981/82

What's your point?

Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:08pm
I don’t like the word “elitism”. I always feel it’s a catch-all cop out, but I feel it is entirely appropriate when discussing this particular case.

I notice that the fans of “minority” clubs, are broadly accepting of the decision, while the fans of bigger clubs seem to be aggrieved on behalf of CH. It’s easier as a fan of a smaller club to see a decline or a regression, as you see it manifesting itself week in and week out in performances and results. Let’s not forget, the result that made all the difference was a 1-1 home draw against Newcastle United, as opposed to any sort of a statement result. Equally, Fulham and Huddersfield were relegated some time ago, which gave them breathing space. But also, much of the success of this season was achieved pre Christmas. Afterwards, the number of points gained was very paltry indeed.

Fans of bigger clubs might look at the season and more of less default to the idea of “what do you expect.”. It relies on the slightly elitist idea that certain clubs should expect no more than safety, and be damn glad if it is achieved, and in this case a cup run puta gloss on it. But small clubs are the ones that struggle to get out of ruts. The goal of safety can be achieved by the “merry go round men” who have generally managed at all of the clubs outside of the Top 6 over the past decade. It is a generally achievable goal. But clubs are entitled to decide if their ambition is matched by the results on the pitch, and in the event there is a significant downward trajectory, they are entitled to move.

I saw Warnock being mentioned above as a comparison. I actually think a better comparison would be MoN/Roy who were at the helm when we qualified for Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 Play Offs. One might argue that this was a country of small stature punching above its weight, that we should be unwaveringly grateful to both. However, the results and performances declined, and the football wasn’t at all pretty, and almost to a man, Irish fans were generally onboard with the decision taken in November 2018. At Brighton, the results had declined, the football wasn’t pretty, and while the outcome of safety may be deemed an achievement, there is a point to evaluating whether the form might carry on into next season.

Posted By: Ecumenical Matter
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:43pm
Sorry for Chris Hughton.

Good man who has kept a Championship club in the Premier League for another year. Bet Fulham fans wished he was managing them. They managed to achieve relegation in spite of the handicap of more money and a better squad. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:12am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

There's a bit of green tinted glasses stuff here I think, the football was well organised but dull, signings (though not clear if those were solely Hughton's signings) didn't work, they were lucky Fulham & Huddersfield proved as incapable as they did, plenty teams have been relegated with 36 points in the past. Glenn Murray's goals and little else kept them up this year, and at his age, those appearances and goals are likely to start diminishing fast enough. 

Hughton undoubtedly did a good job overall, and maybe it is a harsh decision, but one thing it isn't is a rash one. Tony Bloom is a professional gambler who uses algorithms & stats as the basis for most of his decisions, he's either after coming to the conclusion that some other manager (Potter maybe) is over-performing and wants to give him a go, or he has seen some downward trend(s) he doesn't think Hughton was capable of rectifying. He may prove to be completely incorrect about either of those things, but I suppose that's why him & his ilk are called gamblers. 

Bournemouth aren't a bad comparison budget & expectations wise, but Howe takes the risk of shipping some awful defeats trying to play decent football while knowing that on the days the football works well, he'll get his share of wins too- its a formula that has worked for him so far. You can kind of see Hassenhutil at Southampton has much the same idea. Hughton is cautious to the last and like a lot of the old school managers, starts out with the aim of not losing, winning is a bonus rather than the aim. 

The achievements of Pep, Klopp & Poch and the type of football those gents teams play are likely also influencing these owners, and certainly fans, if yer going to finish in the bottom half anyway, may as well make it look entertaining- Hughton couldn't be accused of that. Be a good manager for someone like Middlesborogh who are knocking on the door of playoffs the last few years but not genuine promotion contenders, Hughton has established a track record in that division, he'll be back shortly enough and likely prove successful as well. 

Bump because it's a great post.

Alot of people were saying the same thing when Southampton got rid of Adkins and brought Poch in, the chairman has higher ambitions and doesn't think Chris is the man for that. 

The stagnation and the poor big money signings were probably the biggest contributors in the decision making

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:37am
Totally agree. 

Form after Christmas is woeful. Once you are in a rut of losing every week it’s very hard to break that negative momentum. Get someone new in with fresh ideas.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:48am
Linked with West Brom job.

Think that would be a good move for him

Posted By: Bham_McDermott
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

West Brom
Should have put money on

-------------
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Linked with West Brom job.

Think that would be a good move for him

They will get promoted within two years and he will keep them up and then he will be sacked and they will think they can do better and don’t like the style. They will then be relegated rinse and repeat. . 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I don’t like the word “elitism”. I always feel it’s a catch-all cop out, but I feel it is entirely appropriate when discussing this particular case.

I notice that the fans of “minority” clubs, are broadly accepting of the decision, while the fans of bigger clubs seem to be aggrieved on behalf of CH. It’s easier as a fan of a smaller club to see a decline or a regression, as you see it manifesting itself week in and week out in performances and results. Let’s not forget, the result that made all the difference was a 1-1 home draw against Newcastle United, as opposed to any sort of a statement result. Equally, Fulham and Huddersfield were relegated some time ago, which gave them breathing space. But also, much of the success of this season was achieved pre Christmas. Afterwards, the number of points gained was very paltry indeed.

Fans of bigger clubs might look at the season and more of less default to the idea of “what do you expect.”. It relies on the slightly elitist idea that certain clubs should expect no more than safety, and be damn glad if it is achieved, and in this case a cup run puta gloss on it. But small clubs are the ones that struggle to get out of ruts. The goal of safety can be achieved by the “merry go round men” who have generally managed at all of the clubs outside of the Top 6 over the past decade. It is a generally achievable goal. But clubs are entitled to decide if their ambition is matched by the results on the pitch, and in the event there is a significant downward trajectory, they are entitled to move.

I saw Warnock being mentioned above as a comparison. I actually think a better comparison would be MoN/Roy who were at the helm when we qualified for Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 Play Offs. One might argue that this was a country of small stature punching above its weight, that we should be unwaveringly grateful to both. However, the results and performances declined, and the football wasn’t at all pretty, and almost to a man, Irish fans were generally onboard with the decision taken in November 2018. At Brighton, the results had declined, the football wasn’t pretty, and while the outcome of safety may be deemed an achievement, there is a point to evaluating whether the form might carry on into next season.

That is a brilliant analogy on MoN/Roy and it is very hard to disagree with that post. Excellent post.

-------------

Posted By: skylarking
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:39pm
This thread is a lesson about the risk in using Thumbs Up in a thread title. Unemployment Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:19pm
Chris is favourite for the Sheffield Wednesday job.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:40am
Chris getting linked with the Huddersfield job.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:53am
Dead cert for that job id say 

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:32am
Neither of those clubs give him a genuine shot at promotion.....Huddersfield are in terminal decline with a poor squad and a new owner who won't bankroll a go at promotion.......Sheffield have a slightly better squad but hamstrung by finances

Posted By: Olaf
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:06pm
Absolutely criminal the FAI don’t have a man of his ability coaching the national side. Who knows what we could of achieved. Let’s hope no one calls him before we do next year.

-------------
Some people are worth melting for.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm
Do us all a favour and f**k away off you sad c**t.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

Absolutely criminal the FAI don’t have a man of his ability coaching the national side. Who knows what we could of achieved. Let’s hope no one calls him before we do next year.
Can you just hurry up and do something to get banned again?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:10pm

LOL

Have you not got a plane to fly Topper

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:18pm
Must have started supporting the team after the Kerr era LOL

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Can you just hurry up and do something to get banned again?

“Could have” ffs ffs 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:23pm
What happened to freedom of speech?

Olaf/Byrner is entitled to his opinion

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

For sure, but for some reason the same few latch onto everything he says, embarrassing really but not surprising.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:24pm

He was in the job 15 yrs ago with Kerr.  Both were poor in the job and produced perfomances just like tonight every game for 2 yrs.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:29pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

For sure, but for some reason the same few latch onto everything he says, embarrassing really but not surprising.

This is the poster who was cheering on Scotland when we needed them to lose. Calling for Kenny to be sacked after 1 game. He’s been banned on numerous occasions. f**k him.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: howieb
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:29pm

O you 🍞

Posted By: Olaf
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He was in the job 15 yrs ago with Kerr.  Both were poor in the job and produced perfomances just like tonight every game for 2 yrs.

I think you should go and see what Hughton done with Brighton. He learnt his craft in England, with huge expectations. He should be our national manager. Kenny is a Kerr/Staunton in waiting, he’s well on his way now. 

-------------
Some people are worth melting for.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net