You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footballing on streets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deta1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footballing on streets
    Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:12pm
Don't know the general feeling about this but I find this kicking of football's outside pubs at away games to be an embarrassment.It leads to windows being broken and disruption to the locals.
In Luxembourg,cars and public transport were being stopped to facilitate this and some cars were hit by footballs.
It gives us a bad name.
Sponsored Links

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Bit of a let down with the thread title, I thought this was going to be about where on earth we get the next Johnny Giles from
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by deta1916 deta1916 wrote:

Don't know the general feeling about this but I find this kicking of football's outside pubs at away games to be an embarrassment.It leads to windows being broken and disruption to the locals.
In Luxembourg,cars and public transport were being stopped to facilitate this and some cars were hit by footballs.
It gives us a bad name.

Where was this ? Most think it’s an embarrassment but some will defend it as only a bit of craic 

Edited by Newryrep - 17 Nov 2021 at 4:44pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:53pm

Its absolutely head wrecking. I'm usually a shook hungover wreck at the early stages of match day and a loose football landing indiscriminately like a meteorite does nothing for my frayed nerves. 
Although I've come through the crowd to win a couple of headers when nicely oiled which was quite satisfying. But overall, its a No from me
El Puto Amo
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by deta1916 deta1916 wrote:

It gives us a bad name.
Was it happening in Luxembourg? Only tends to happen on the busier trips. Stupid really as spend more time looking up in the air that it ruins any atmosphere around the pubs.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Bit of a let down with the thread title, I thought this was going to be about where on earth we get the next Johnny Giles from
I was opening the thread expecting someone to be complaining about kids playing in the street
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:05pm
Yeah thought this was going to be about jumpers for goalposts, street football which we use to see a lot of. Didn't see any of that in Luxembourg and haven't done since the Euros maybe..
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
Outdide the pyg on matchday, must say while there was a good atmosphere there was also a few gobsh*tes. Seen a football land on a table of drinks and all the culprit did was apologize, there was no sign of him replacing the drinks. Also the owner of the PYG had to physically remove someone from preventing a bus from passing. Few strange irish heads in the pyg I thought.
Give me the trips like Baku and Antalya all day long over the convenient trips.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 17 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
deta1916 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deta1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 6:15pm
And stopping cars and public transport to play this game.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:00pm
Don't agree with it myself haven't seen it since probably Denmark 2019 Copenhagen I've always said our fans get away with more than any other Nation ever would based on previous reputation.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Outdide the pyg on matchday, must say while there was a good atmosphere there was also a few gobsh*tes. Seen a football land on a table of drinks and all the culprit did was apologize, there was no sign of him replacing the drinks. Also the owner of the PYG had to physically remove someone from preventing a bus from passing. Few strange irish heads in the pyg I thought.
Give me the trips like Baku and Antalya all day long over the convenient trips.

Which is why pubs like pyg are great - they attract the messier crowd thus  leaving the remaining pubs relatively free from dicks 

Similar to fan zones 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:28pm
I've always hated this. It's completely self absorbed behaviour that is seen as just a bit of craic by the perpetrators when in fact they are just being a pain in the hole to locals and other fans alike, but they're having their fun and that's all that matters.
deta1916 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deta1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm
It was a miracle that an elderly person or young child was not injured by those previously mentioned meteorites in Copenhagen.
And some of the listed buildings there barely escaped with their windows intact.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:04pm
very "England" behaviour that, booting a football around a town square
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 5:58am
Whilst initially funny (to an extent) and quite popular in the likes of Stuttgart '06 and Prague '07, it's become very tedious. Spontaneity has long waned off, and it's become a very forced kind of matchday entertainment.
Glad I missed out on it in Luxembourg.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:13am
Remember in Lille in 2016 and Copenhagen 2019. Spent more time looking up in the air. Annoying. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Whilst initially funny (to an extent) and quite popular in the likes of Stuttgart '06 and Prague '07, it's become very tedious. Spontaneity has long waned off, and it's become a very forced kind of matchday entertainment.
A lot of the bigger 'event'away games following the same pattern - locate to a large city centre square/plaza close to a pub/offy, have a session and then gradually develops into lads acting the gobsh*te masquerading as banter while interfering with the locals going about their normal day, and being a nuisance to traffic.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

A lot of the bigger 'event'away games following the same pattern - locate to a large city centre square/plaza close to a pub/offy, have a session and then gradually develops into lads acting the gobsh*te masquerading as banter while interfering with the locals going about their normal day, and being a nuisance to traffic.
should of been consigned to the history books after this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic