Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58072
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Footballing on streets
Posted By: deta1916
Subject: Footballing on streets
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:12pm
Don't know the general feeling about this but I find this kicking of football's outside pubs at away games to be an embarrassment.It leads to windows being broken and disruption to the locals.
In Luxembourg,cars and public transport were being stopped to facilitate this and some cars were hit by footballs.
It gives us a bad name.

Replies:
Posted By: dangere_here
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Bit of a let down with the thread title, I thought this was going to be about where on earth we get the next Johnny Giles from

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by deta1916 deta1916 wrote:

Don't know the general feeling about this but I find this kicking of football's outside pubs at away games to be an embarrassment.It leads to windows being broken and disruption to the locals.
In Luxembourg,cars and public transport were being stopped to facilitate this and some cars were hit by footballs.
It gives us a bad name.

Where was this ? Most think it’s an embarrassment but some will defend it as only a bit of craic 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:53pm

Its absolutely head wrecking. I'm usually a shook hungover wreck at the early stages of match day and a loose football landing indiscriminately like a meteorite does nothing for my frayed nerves. 
Although I've come through the crowd to win a couple of headers when nicely oiled which was quite satisfying. But overall, its a No from me

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by deta1916 deta1916 wrote:

It gives us a bad name.
Was it happening in Luxembourg? Only tends to happen on the busier trips. Stupid really as spend more time looking up in the air that it ruins any atmosphere around the pubs.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Bit of a let down with the thread title, I thought this was going to be about where on earth we get the next Johnny Giles from
I was opening the thread expecting someone to be complaining about kids playing in the street

Posted By: Badgersboys9
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:05pm
Yeah thought this was going to be about jumpers for goalposts, street football which we use to see a lot of. Didn't see any of that in Luxembourg and haven't done since the Euros maybe..

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
Outdide the pyg on matchday, must say while there was a good atmosphere there was also a few gobsh*tes. Seen a football land on a table of drinks and all the culprit did was apologize, there was no sign of him replacing the drinks. Also the owner of the PYG had to physically remove someone from preventing a bus from passing. Few strange irish heads in the pyg I thought.
Give me the trips like Baku and Antalya all day long over the convenient trips.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 6:15pm
And stopping cars and public transport to play this game.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:00pm
Don't agree with it myself haven't seen it since probably Denmark 2019 Copenhagen I've always said our fans get away with more than any other Nation ever would based on previous reputation.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Outdide the pyg on matchday, must say while there was a good atmosphere there was also a few gobsh*tes. Seen a football land on a table of drinks and all the culprit did was apologize, there was no sign of him replacing the drinks. Also the owner of the PYG had to physically remove someone from preventing a bus from passing. Few strange irish heads in the pyg I thought.
Give me the trips like Baku and Antalya all day long over the convenient trips.

Which is why pubs like pyg are great - they attract the messier crowd thus  leaving the remaining pubs relatively free from dicks 

Similar to fan zones 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:28pm
I've always hated this. It's completely self absorbed behaviour that is seen as just a bit of craic by the perpetrators when in fact they are just being a pain in the hole to locals and other fans alike, but they're having their fun and that's all that matters.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm
It was a miracle that an elderly person or young child was not injured by those previously mentioned meteorites in Copenhagen.
And some of the listed buildings there barely escaped with their windows intact.

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:04pm
very "England" behaviour that, booting a football around a town square

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 5:58am
Whilst initially funny (to an extent) and quite popular in the likes of Stuttgart '06 and Prague '07, it's become very tedious. Spontaneity has long waned off, and it's become a very forced kind of matchday entertainment.
Glad I missed out on it in Luxembourg.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:13am
Remember in Lille in 2016 and Copenhagen 2019. Spent more time looking up in the air. Annoying. 

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Whilst initially funny (to an extent) and quite popular in the likes of Stuttgart '06 and Prague '07, it's become very tedious. Spontaneity has long waned off, and it's become a very forced kind of matchday entertainment.
A lot of the bigger 'event'away games following the same pattern - locate to a large city centre square/plaza close to a pub/offy, have a session and then gradually develops into lads acting the gobsh*te masquerading as banter while interfering with the locals going about their normal day, and being a nuisance to traffic.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

A lot of the bigger 'event'away games following the same pattern - locate to a large city centre square/plaza close to a pub/offy, have a session and then gradually develops into lads acting the gobsh*te masquerading as banter while interfering with the locals going about their normal day, and being a nuisance to traffic.
should of been consigned to the history books after this

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:19am
I wouldn't mind so much if it was a beach ball but majority of the time its a football which can do damage and irritate the fook out of people. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I wouldn't mind so much if it was a beach ball but majority of the time its a football which can do damage and irritate the fook out of people. 

I f**king lost it at the Euros when a round of €9 pints were took out of my hands by one having qued in the fan zone for nearly an hour and then someone had the gall to call me dry sh*te when I blasted it over the fence. Me f**king pints cost more than the ball! LOL

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I f**king lost it at the Euros when a round of €9 pints were took out of my hands by one having qued in the fan zone for nearly an hour and then someone had the gall to call me dry sh*te when I blasted it over the fence. Me f**king pints cost more than the ball! LOL

Please tell me some video footage exists of this! That sounds absolutely gas except for anyone waiting on one of those pints 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
Great to see so many genuine supporters in agreement that this lark should be consigned to the bin and that residents of the cities and old towns that we visit can go about their normal business in peace.Residents who are,for the most part,very accommodating and welcoming.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Remember in Lille in 2016 and Copenhagen 2019. Spent more time looking up in the air. Annoying. 

When you're in the horrors after being on the beer the few nights before it's the last thing you need!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net