You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Football Apartheid in Ireland"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Football Apartheid in Ireland"
    Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:03pm
"Football Apartheid in Ireland", Misrepresentation and Bogus Moralising: http://backpagefootball.com/international/%E2%80%9Cfootball-apartheid-in-ireland%E2%80%9D-misrepresentation-and-bogus-moralising/

This was a piece I decided to write in response to being accused of supporting the rather ridiculous concept of "football apartheid in Ireland" recently by Gary McAllister of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs. I also try to clarify a few outstanding misunderstandings on the part of NI fans and expose the alleged reasons and logic behind their hysterical protests to be false and hypocritical.

Enjoy. :)
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:19pm
Absolutely fantastic article danny.the very people shouting about football apartheid seem to forget there was a different type of apartheid going on for years
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:30pm
Good article alright
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:54pm
Very good! Clap excellent points made throughout!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 1:57pm
Read that last night dude. Great article. Big thumbs up from Franko.

Thumbs Up
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 2:15pm
Danny one point Eamon Zayed plays for Libya. 

We've also lost Alex Bruce and Johnny Gorman btw.  Can't remember who poached them though.
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm
Great article!...very interesting and great points made throughout Thumbs Up
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
Declanus View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 2:21pm
Very well written and referenced. Excelent points made.
Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Danny one point Eamon Zayed plays for Libya.

This is true, but the supposedly-sectarian/all-Catholic FAI were more than happy to facilitate him at under-21 level for us in spite of his Maghrebi heritage.

Quote We've also lost Alex Bruce and Johnny Gorman btw.  Can't remember who poached them though.

LOL Don't worry; gave them a mention: "Who is to say that the FAI ever deemed Alex Bruce or Johnny Gorman surplus to requirements before the IFA entertained them, for example?"
TheTard View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheTard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 3:39pm
Good Article, especially with reference to the last paragragh... 
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 5:07pm
I think the IFA have found themselves between a rock and a hard place. If they or their supporters fire off too much grief about the perceived poaching, they look bitter, which is already happening. They look bitter not because they are protesting but because along with the protests there will be some mustard laden statements along with an overblown sense of entitlement coming in from some quarters. You can get such things in rows like this.

To blame the FAI is ridiculous. They're just availing of the human resources that are there and declaring is a two way street because there must be a desire on the part of the player to declare. An association does not kidnap a player and apply the ludvico technique and I don't think in the case of the FAI that they're stepping in and playing a nationalist card either. A talented northern born player from a nationalist/catholic background would look at their options for success first before any feelings of affiliation and right now the greatest chance of personal success for them lies with the Republic even though they might have a damned time cracking the nut that is the ROI starting XI. They take that and they open a dialogue with the FAI. There is a sectarian/nationalistic element at play but it's very much secondary in this case. It's actually more manifest in the fact that you'll see precious few northern unionists lining out for the ROI rather than lack of catholics lining out for NI.

I can only say to the IFA and it's supporters, "Sorry lads, you'll just have to take the less talented catholic players for now. When MON takes you back to the promised land (4th place?) Maybe you'll see an upturn in declarations. You may be waiting a while."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 5:23pm
Good article Clap
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 5:35pm
Not that I care about what religion someone is but just wondering have we had any protestants playing for us?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:06pm
Alan Kernaghan was from an Ulster Protestant background, just like Alex Bruce and Adam Barton, as far as I know. I'm sure we've had plenty of others from Protestant backgrounds line out for us over the years, and possibly even in recent squads. The reason we don't really know is because one's religion isn't a matter of public note south of the border in the same way it is north of the border.
Declanus View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:14pm
Thats true Danny it doesn't make a difference down here or in England and most places.
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:21pm
Just to be fair it has to be said there was probably an element of apartheid in place when you look at the gap between Alex stevenson's first and second caps for the republic, particularly given how good a player he actually was. Not a major issue in the context of your whole article, it's just I think it should be said given you say in it there was definitely never a policy at the fai.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:27pm
Great article. Very well written.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

Just to be fair it has to be said there was probably an element of apartheid in place when you look at the gap between Alex stevenson's first and second caps for the republic, particularly given how good a player he actually was. Not a major issue in the context of your whole article, it's just I think it should be said given you say in it there was definitely never a policy at the fai.

Just to be sure I'm reading you correctly, are you suggesting the FAI refused to select Stevenson for a period after first capping him because he was a Protestant and that this was indicative of a policy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic