You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Football Apartheid in Ireland".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Football Apartheid in Ireland".
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:23am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13518826.stm

Some of the sh*te talk is getting ridiculous now

NI fans group call for change in Republic player ruling

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Shane Ferguson celebrates scoring for Northern Ireland in the Milk Cup last year Shane Ferguson celebrates scoring for Northern Ireland in the Milk Cup

A Northern Ireland fans group is appealing to Fifa to end what it calls the "football apartheid" in Ireland.

Fifa and the Court of Arbitration have ruled that NI-born players can opt for the Republic of Ireland.

The Amalgamation of NI Supporters' Clubs wants Fifa to have a re-think after Daniel Devine became the latest player to switch to the Republic.

It said the ruling gave the Republic an "unfair advantage" and accused the FAI of "poaching" players from N Ireland.

Fifa rules include a clause allowing players to change nationality once before they play a senior competitive match if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association".

The Good Friday Agreement of 1998 provided for Northern Ireland-born people to claim either British or Irish nationality.

Preston North End defender Devine has joined Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George in making the move to the Republic.

It is feared Newcastle United defender Shane Ferguson will be the next Northern Ireland youth player to switch to the Republic.

Amalgamation of NI Supporters' Clubs chairman Gary McAllister criticised the FAI in addressing the player drain to the Republic in an open letter in the Irish News.

"We believe this situation to be unique in world football, whereby one national association may select two jurisdictions worth of players," he said.

"Clearly this puts the Northern Ireland team at a disadvantage.

"For more than 50 years, the agreed and established practice of the two national football associations was always to select only those players with a territorial connection to either jurisdiction.

"It seems therefore that the FAI is using the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement as an excuse for breaking this longstanding policy.

"This FAI policy is driving a sectarian wedge between the two communities in Northern Ireland in regard to football.

"We are hugely proud to support a team that includes members of both traditions in Northern Ireland, and want to continue to do so.

"We want an end to Football Apartheid in Ireland."

The open letter comes ahead of Tuesday night's Carling Nations Cup game between Northern Ireland and the Republic in Dublin.

Listen to that for absolute bollocks. The highlighted comments are the most embarrassing/laughable/maddening.

Edited by MayoMark - 24 May 2011 at 9:23am
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

Mikethemiz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:27am

It's not our fault they want to declare for us. As far as i know they're pursuing us not us pursuing them

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:29am
I wonder if the FAI can keep on picking players that the Northern Ireland team will effectively become a team made up of member of only one community.

In that all the players from the nationalist community will play for us and that Northern ireland will be only made up of players from the Unionist community. 
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:50am
ex Linfield player! Interesting
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:54am
They can bitch and moan all they like, they wont over rule the CAS hearing and thats all that matters. 

Tonights prediction: 

Ireland 3 - 0 Pub Team 

(Gibson 2, Wilson) Big smile
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:08am

A few things on this

1. It sadly says something about Northern Ireland society when they are still highlighting stuff like 'members of both traditions'. I couldn't give a fook what religion a player is, don't even know what religion most of our players are and that's the way it should be. They are footballers, not prophets ffs.
2. I'm sure there is an undercurrent of current/ex Irish players or people with links to the FAI asking younger Northern Irish lads at English/Scottish clubs if they have any interest in playing for us.
3. The Northern Ireland fans protests at the unique arrangement following the GFA is a serious issue to them and no more embarrassing/laughable/maddening than our attempts to get a replay against France, the FAI asking to be the 33rd country in the World Cup, online petitions or facebook pages to get Paul McShane to retire, etc.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be just as angry as they are about what is happening, simply because they can't do anything about it realistically.
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

They can bitch and moan all they like, they wont over rule the CAS hearing and thats all that matters. 

Tonights prediction: 

Ireland 3 - 0 Pub Team 

Head in the game Max
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

I wonder if the FAI can keep on picking players that the Northern Ireland team will effectively become a team made up of member of only one community.

In that all the players from the nationalist community will play for us and that Northern ireland will be only made up of players from the Unionist community. 

That's exactly the way it's heading which is a shame, sport usually unites but this is devisive.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:40am

"We believe this situation to be unique in world football, whereby one national association may select two jurisdictions worth of players," he said.

"Clearly this puts the Northern Ireland team at a disadvantage.

can't Northern Ireland pick players from the South if they want?Not our problem no one is declaring for them.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:47am
These are the same people who voted in favour of the GFA - I guess they didnt read the small print.

This really comes down to the players choice. I will let the NI based ROI fans have their say.

But I work with about 10 lads from the North all ROI supporters and they pretty much hate the NI fans.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:50am
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Tonights prediction: 

Ireland 3 - 0 Pub Team 

Head in the game Max

Embarrassed
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:50am
apartheid LOL i think the lads need to hit the history books
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:54am
Total and utter bolloxology.  They might need to ask some of the rabble who are going to Windsor Park to actually support their players and not boo or abuse (in the case of Anton Rogan in the 80s) or threaten to kill (the man who "brings it on himself") players who do their best for them.  Who can blame a Catholic/nationalist to opt for the South when you see/hear what happens to them, tis a no-brainer.  Apartheid, it'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:11am
ATTN NI SUPPORTERS

we will take players from all communities and fans too , come and support a real team Thumbs Up

travelling community , polish , nigerian , even cork people Thumbs Up
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

ATTN NI SUPPORTERS

we will take players from all communities and fans too , come and support a real team Thumbs Up

travelling community , polish , nigerian , even cork people Thumbs Up
There's offering the hand of friendship RM and there's taking the piss. You're taking the piss there now WinkLOL
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Balf.airy Balf.airy wrote:

Balf.airy do you think a boy from the Shankill Road in Belfast would really want to play for us??!!

I would have no problem if a Northern born Protestant declared for us but the chances of that are very slim , let them complain and give out but they dont care when their calling up ex England underage caps like Lee Camp and Oliver Norwood who were born and bread in England...Atleast we're calling up more and more Irish born players so be it from Ulster but lads like Gibson , Duffy and Wilson can obtain an Irish passport of their own free will , where as Norwood and Camp had to go through a parent/grandparent so do i see anything wrong with what the F.A.I. are doing no!!!

If Fifa suddenly said Devine , Wilson , Duffy , Kearns and Gibson cannot play for us do you really think they would all go back and play for the North??? I dont because they opted to play for us for a reason , they were not held at gun point to play us!!

Your name is coming up as Balf.airy wtf is that all about LOL

Edited by Green Devil - 24 May 2011 at 11:57am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:51am
some nordie gobsh*te on ssn there giving out about how republic can choose players from the north and the north cant choose our players.Must not be able to get his head around that the republic isnt part of britain
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:59am

It's the same old crap that, to be fair, is becoming more and more prevalent in modern society in general these days: blame somebody else for your own problems. Let's not take a long hard look at ourselves - which is what N.I need to do here - and properly address the issues of sectarianism that plague their game from grass routes level upwards - but just take the lazy route and act like the innocent little helpless lamb that is been torn asunder by their large wolf of a neighbour.

Utter, pathetic garbage from N.I, and it's getting very tiresome at this stage to say the least. Thumbs Down 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic