You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Festy Ebosele

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
The understanding at the time with Festy seemed to basically be that he turned up for the under 21s expecting to play off the back of breaking into the Derby first team. But as the training camp went on it was becoming clear from the line ups in training who Crawford was going to pick - Lee O'Connor at right back etc with Festy on the bench. So he asked to leave the camp when he realised he wouldn't be starting the game and they let him go.

Having since got a senior call up (but unfortunately not a cap) I'd say he'd be the type that might not take another under 21 call up if offered, similar to Obafemi. Given that he's not getting a lot of game time at Udinese I'd say he might not be in either squad this month.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The understanding at the time with Festy seemed to basically be that he turned up for the under 21s expecting to play off the back of breaking into the Derby first team. But as the training camp went on it was becoming clear from the line ups in training who Crawford was going to pick - Lee O'Connor at right back etc with Festy on the bench. So he asked to leave the camp when he realised he wouldn't be starting the game and they let him go.

Having since got a senior call up (but unfortunately not a cap) I'd say he'd be the type that might not take another under 21 call up if offered, similar to Obafemi. Given that he's not getting a lot of game time at Udinese I'd say he might not be in either squad this month.

Well if it's on merit then he doesnt deserve a senior call up on the face of it and I'm not so sure we should be rewarding tantrums in any case. Name him in the U21s - it's a big game with potentially a big shop window to play in if they qualify. Even if he doesnt start the first leg, he has to be a great option off the bench in the wide attacking areas or to freshen things up for the 2nd leg. He was never going to start as an out an out full back ahead of the long serving if somewhat limited O'Connor.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 10:47am
He should be named in the 21's squad, but I think what we saw Kenny do was engage in a bit of man-management with a lad who was unhappy.

Now, he has no right to expect to start any match, and leaving the camp as he wasn't a guaranteed starter would be childish behaviour, and that's being generous.

As it stands, I'd have him starting the wide right attacking role ahead of Wright.
But I'd not expect him to be called to the 21's and his current lack of gametime means he should be nowhere near the seniors.

I don't think there are allegiance issues, but the question will keep coming up until it is put to bed.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Those Nigerian click-bait sites are absolutely mental, I wouldn't read much into them if they're the only source.

They're worse than us for trying to claim dual national players as one of their own and that's saying something.

They have every right to do so. However, it would be disappointing if Festy who came up through the Wexford and briefly the Dublin Schoolboys League abdicated. Does anybody have any insight into what went on with the U21 omission and subsequent Senior call up? On the face of it, he should be playing out wide for the U21s in the upcoming play off.

There's one thing talking about dual nationals of X nationality that can qualify for X country. The Nigerian lads be talking about how Nigeria's Gavin Bazunu or Andrew Omobamidele have chosen to play for Ireland.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

He should be named in the 21's squad, but I think what we saw Kenny do was engage in a bit of man-management with a lad who was unhappy.

Now, he has no right to expect to start any match, and leaving the camp as he wasn't a guaranteed starter would be childish behaviour, and that's being generous.

As it stands, I'd have him starting the wide right attacking role ahead of Wright.
But I'd not expect him to be called to the 21's and his current lack of gametime means he should be nowhere near the seniors.

I don't think there are allegiance issues, but the question will keep coming up until it is put to bed.

I think it's Kerrigan playing wide right with Wright on the left :) - I understand what Kenny tried to do, but surely now is the time to sit him down and tell him to get his head down for the U21s, he's a better player than either Wright or Kerrigan and would be a huge asset even if off the bench. It's not like the upcoming U21 games are dead rubbers and they are likely to generate big interest. If I were his agent, I'd be encouraging him to go and help the lads make history.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 3:41pm
I'd keep him in the senior squad. Colemans days in green are drawing to a close and while I'd love it if he made it to the Euros with us it doesn't seem likely with how often he picks up injuries now.

Continuing to build the senior squad should still be a priority & if Festy is one of those High Potential players then blooding him now before the Euros campaign starts makes sense.

His little tantrum back in March was childish, hopefully he matures and gets past that kind of thing. But he should have been starting for the U21s ahead of O'Connor or Wright/Kerrigan, that was stupid on Crawfords part.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I'd keep him in the senior squad. Colemans days in green are drawing to a close and while I'd love it if he made it to the Euros with us it doesn't seem likely with how often he picks up injuries now.

Continuing to build the senior squad should still be a priority & if Festy is one of those High Potential players then blooding him now before the Euros campaign starts makes sense.

His little tantrum back in March was childish, hopefully he matures and gets past that kind of thing. But he should have been starting for the U21s ahead of O'Connor or Wright/Kerrigan, that was stupid on Crawfords part.

Agree re Coleman, unlikely to make it through the Euro campaign, but I assume he will still be around for this season, so I dont see how Festy gets a look in. If we were going to play an attacking wing back, surely Ogbene who has a lot more experience playing the position would be the likely candidate, especially if we want to try and stick with Obafemi/Parrott and potentially Idah up front. 

Clear the air and get him in to the U21s for now. New campaign, we can have a look again and see how he's getting on at Udinese. He'd surely need to be playing reasonably regularly to get in the senior squad.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 9:42am

Those Nigerian click-bait sites are absolutely mental, I wouldn't read much into them if they're the only source.

I mean, what would Kenny's Kids, Irish Propaganda or Irish Independent reporting what a website from a different continent said really change? You'd still have lads making jokes about Nigerian princes. The lad is of Nigerian parentage. It's not inconceivable that he'd make a quote like that to a Nigerian journalist and it would go under the radar here. It's not like lads like Ken Early and Daniel McDonnell network with Nigerian journalists so we're not going to get to the bottom of the issue that way.

I scrolled through that website's Twitter feed and it seems normal enough. They've just reported on a Nigerian-eligible player wanting to play for Italy and not Nigeria! So if they make these things up, it evidently goes both ways.

Either way, if the quotes did come from Festy, he hasn't closed the door on either country. Ogbene came out with similar quotes before he played for us. Hopefully Festy is called up for the seniors or accepts a call-up for the U-21's and it's put to bed.

Clsmooth View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clsmooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 8:25pm
Any chance of this lad getting on for Udinese at some stage? On the bench again tonight
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 4:07pm
impressive 4-0 win for udinese against roma yesterday, but both festy and james abankwah were unused subs
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 7:35pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 7:42pm
Good stuff. Hopefully it well enough to get him consistent minutes from now on.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:22pm
Looked to have got hooked at HT with them trailing 0-1
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:32pm
Saw last 20 of first half. Wasn't great tbh, looked way off the pace. Had one good attack in the last 5 minutes but you could see the manager was very animated at him so I wasn't surprised he was whipped off.
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:42pm
No surprise if he was off the pace, hardly kicked a ball all season. Could prove to end up being a very poor move for him, he needs to play.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 11:06am
Probably move to Watford in january or the summer
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

A loan to a Championship club would be best for him. Watford are too unpredictable though.

Dan Gosling is playing RB for them at the moment. That position would be up for grabs.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

A loan to a Championship club would be best for him. Watford are too unpredictable though.

Dan Gosling is playing RB for them at the moment. That position would be up for grabs.

Yeah I doubt Slaven Bilic would look at Festy and think you sir would fit in perfectly at RB for me. Though he'll probably get the sack once the league breaks next month given it's Watford.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>
  Share Topic