You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - European Super League
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


European Super League

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839>
Author
Message
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:14pm
Also talking about changing the PL format to playoff I seen in one report. Or it's on the table for discussion. 
That would be absolutely terrible. Ok a big final every year would be kind of cool but being the top side over 38 games and losing out to maybe the team that came 4th, f**king ridiculous. Hope that never sees the light of day.




Edited by t_rAndy - 22 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Im The Gaffer View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 27 Mar 2021
Status: Offline
Points: 80
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Im The Gaffer Im The Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Im The Gaffer Im The Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Im The Gaffer Im The Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

you did say earlier that of course you were going to support a league where the majority of the Irish internationals play.   So I
am guessing you will be supporting Sheff Utd in the Championship next season.  The premier league certainly doesn’t have many of our team in it anymore.  LOL Maybe Preston or Portsmouth might do either. 
So your argument is that people should shop around and switch allegiance to football teams like a "rational consumer". Deary me. The ultra-capitalist ethos in a nutshell.

No I am saying your reasons for why you support Liverpool do not hold up as you said how could you support a team or a league where Irish internationals don’t play.  Extending that logic out, Liverpool haven’t had many Irish players of late.  Ireland is irrelevant to Liverpool Football Club. 
Are all your posts satire?

If you believe I am using humour irony and ridicule to expose your  stupidity I guilty as charged your honour. 
There's only one person's stupidity you're exposing, and it sure isn't mine.

This coming from a man who tried to defend his support for a foreign company because they had more Irish internationals than actual Irish teams 😀😀😀😀😀😀 
Take care not to wear out your finger holding down that smiley button.


Edited by Im The Gaffer - 22 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm
Back to Top
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Location: Drogheda
Status: Offline
Points: 1741
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
Wheelo i really get the United of Manchester just love the underdogs anyway but it's really hard for the long in the tooth fan say who has been a Newcastle fan for 50 years , now you have seen good and bad times and still surport the team still buy a season ticket .
Then things start to change Ashley takes over you don't like the look of him and a few years down the line you were right as he is nothing but a cheap crook .
What do you do not go anymore because you will be giving your money to him sort of or now take up as a Gateshead fan ? 
It's the club that has you hooked not those who run it and one thing is for sure you will out live those in power and you will still be a Newcastle fan .

Nobody said it’s easy, I know lads in their 60s at fcum who followed united regularly home and away.

People asked why they didn’t support altringham, Salford, etc - the reason is they were existing clubs and not their club. 

So instead, they set up a club for Man Utd supporters who didn’t want to financially support the business, and still get their Man Utd kicks. I’m a bit young to say, but the older lads tell me it’s like going to see Man Utd in the 70s.

Although for some it was easy. For some, they stopped going before the glazers even took over. They were priced out of going to OT, or didn’t like the way modern football was going, sterile atmosphere, all seater stadium, couldn’t go with your mates, etc. So instead of going to the hardware shops on a Saturday afternoon, they got their Man Utd kicks at fc united, in an affordable way, where the owners aren’t looking to fleece the fans to make money for themselves.

So yes, it’s not easy for some to stop financially backing the club. I get that. But you have to have some backbone if you have an issue with something - otherwise prepare to keep getting it from the clubs!!

But for some it was quite easy - a lot of working class people have been priced out of going to watch their club! 
TRAP OUT!!

F*** THE FAI!!

DROGHEDA TIL I DIE!!
Back to Top
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 28038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 7:21am
great points wheelo.  I think for those that supporting a team is a televisual experience they are less likely to make a stand.  
Back to Top
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
Wheelo i really get the United of Manchester just love the underdogs anyway but it's really hard for the long in the tooth fan say who has been a Newcastle fan for 50 years , now you have seen good and bad times and still surport the team still buy a season ticket .
Then things start to change Ashley takes over you don't like the look of him and a few years down the line you were right as he is nothing but a cheap crook .
What do you do not go anymore because you will be giving your money to him sort of or now take up as a Gateshead fan ? 
It's the club that has you hooked not those who run it and one thing is for sure you will out live those in power and you will still be a Newcastle fan .

Nobody said it’s easy, I know lads in their 60s at fcum who followed united regularly home and away.

People asked why they didn’t support altringham, Salford, etc - the reason is they were existing clubs and not their club. 

So instead, they set up a club for Man Utd supporters who didn’t want to financially support the business, and still get their Man Utd kicks. I’m a bit young to say, but the older lads tell me it’s like going to see Man Utd in the 70s.

Although for some it was easy. For some, they stopped going before the glazers even took over. They were priced out of going to OT, or didn’t like the way modern football was going, sterile atmosphere, all seater stadium, couldn’t go with your mates, etc. So instead of going to the hardware shops on a Saturday afternoon, they got their Man Utd kicks at fc united, in an affordable way, where the owners aren’t looking to fleece the fans to make money for themselves.

So yes, it’s not easy for some to stop financially backing the club. I get that. But you have to have some backbone if you have an issue with something - otherwise prepare to keep getting it from the clubs!!

But for some it was quite easy - a lot of working class people have been priced out of going to watch their club! 

So therefore their support of the club was more about themselves and their football experience rather than their love for the club. That's ok too, 

Back to Top
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 28038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 9:38am
whereas all the barstoolers in Ireland are selfless lads putting their life on the line for their club. True martyrs 😀.  Unless you are volunteering for your club it’s about you and your experience not the club. 

Edited by Baldrick - 23 Apr 2021 at 10:04am
AKA pedantic kunt
Back to Top
Jackal View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 887
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:02am
The minister for sport complaining was cringy.
Back to Top
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Location: Drogheda
Status: Offline
Points: 1741
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
Wheelo i really get the United of Manchester just love the underdogs anyway but it's really hard for the long in the tooth fan say who has been a Newcastle fan for 50 years , now you have seen good and bad times and still surport the team still buy a season ticket .
Then things start to change Ashley takes over you don't like the look of him and a few years down the line you were right as he is nothing but a cheap crook .
What do you do not go anymore because you will be giving your money to him sort of or now take up as a Gateshead fan ? 
It's the club that has you hooked not those who run it and one thing is for sure you will out live those in power and you will still be a Newcastle fan .

Nobody said it’s easy, I know lads in their 60s at fcum who followed united regularly home and away.

People asked why they didn’t support altringham, Salford, etc - the reason is they were existing clubs and not their club. 

So instead, they set up a club for Man Utd supporters who didn’t want to financially support the business, and still get their Man Utd kicks. I’m a bit young to say, but the older lads tell me it’s like going to see Man Utd in the 70s.

Although for some it was easy. For some, they stopped going before the glazers even took over. They were priced out of going to OT, or didn’t like the way modern football was going, sterile atmosphere, all seater stadium, couldn’t go with your mates, etc. So instead of going to the hardware shops on a Saturday afternoon, they got their Man Utd kicks at fc united, in an affordable way, where the owners aren’t looking to fleece the fans to make money for themselves.

So yes, it’s not easy for some to stop financially backing the club. I get that. But you have to have some backbone if you have an issue with something - otherwise prepare to keep getting it from the clubs!!

But for some it was quite easy - a lot of working class people have been priced out of going to watch their club! 

So therefore their support of the club was more about themselves and their football experience rather than their love for the club. That's ok too, 


Getting silly now, I give up!
TRAP OUT!!

F*** THE FAI!!

DROGHEDA TIL I DIE!!
Back to Top
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

whereas all the barstoolers in Ireland are selfless lads putting their life on the line for their club. True martyrs 😀.  Unless you are volunteering for your club it’s about you and your experience not the club. 

Well they wouldn't turn their backs on the club.
There are many ways to be a supporter. I imagine there are 1000's of irish Liverpool fans who have never been to anfield and who buy their jerseys off DH gate but who are very invested emotionally and vocal in their club. 

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the experience of going to a match myself and would pick going to watch a match live over Liverpool vs Arsenal on the telly (even it if was a good kids match in the park!) but sick of people creating a fans hierarchy.  I don't know what people get out of attacking fans for supporting clubs how they like.

Better to try encourage people to share in the experience that you think they would enjoy rather than slamming them for not doing it 'your way'.


Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Apr 2021 at 11:05am
Back to Top
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Location: Drogheda
Status: Offline
Points: 1741
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
ah come on, nobody is slamming anyone. I couldn’t care less how people think is the best way to support their club.

My point is that if you’re financially supporting the owners of these clubs by buying tickets, spending money in grounds, buying sky, spending money on merchandise - but at the same time the club is taking you for a ride - you can’t really complain when they keep taking advantage of you.

They’ll keep doing it until it hits them in the pocket. Until then, you’re just encouraging it by giving them your money.

I feel like we’re going around in circles here, each to their own, but beware of the consequences. 
TRAP OUT!!

F*** THE FAI!!

DROGHEDA TIL I DIE!!
Back to Top
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 28038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

whereas all the barstoolers in Ireland are selfless lads putting their life on the line for their club. True martyrs 😀.  Unless you are volunteering for your club it’s about you and your experience not the club. 

Well they wouldn't turn their backs on the club.
There are many ways to be a supporter. I imagine there are 1000's of irish Liverpool fans who have never been to anfield and who buy their jerseys off DH gate but who are very invested emotionally and vocal in their club. 

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the experience of going to a match myself and would pick going to watch a match live over Liverpool vs Arsenal on the telly (even it if was a good kids match in the park!) but sick of people creating a fans hierarchy.  I don't know what people get out of attacking fans for supporting clubs how they like.

Better to try encourage people to share in the experience that you think they would enjoy rather than slamming them for not doing it 'your way'.

I have seen it all now barstoolers who have never seen their team play are now more hardcore fans and truer fans than those that made a principled stance against the glazers 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Back to Top
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

whereas all the barstoolers in Ireland are selfless lads putting their life on the line for their club. True martyrs 😀.  Unless you are volunteering for your club it’s about you and your experience not the club. 

Well they wouldn't turn their backs on the club.
There are many ways to be a supporter. I imagine there are 1000's of irish Liverpool fans who have never been to anfield and who buy their jerseys off DH gate but who are very invested emotionally and vocal in their club. 

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the experience of going to a match myself and would pick going to watch a match live over Liverpool vs Arsenal on the telly (even it if was a good kids match in the park!) but sick of people creating a fans hierarchy.  I don't know what people get out of attacking fans for supporting clubs how they like.

Better to try encourage people to share in the experience that you think they would enjoy rather than slamming them for not doing it 'your way'.

I have seen it all now barstoolers who have never seen their team play are now more hardcore fans and truer fans than those that made a principled stance against the glazers 😀😀😀

I was questioning that maybe if the others were willing to turn their back on the club they support then maybe they didn't really love the club after all and it was more about themselves. The great Sir Alex Ferguson said that very thing. 
Or maybe it was because they loved the club so much that they had to let it go because they couldn't stand to see it go that way.

Either way, my point still stands that I really don't see the point about slamming/looking down on any person who gets pleasure out of supporting a team in whatever way they do and putting fans who support it another way on a pedestal. I think like you said unless you are actually actively involved volunteering at the club or whatever I don't think you can say anyone is less a fan than the other. 
If a bloke in the pub here wants to call their mate a scouse prick, it's a little silly because they are not from Liverpool or a scouser but doesn't mean they are less a fan and shouldn't do what makes them feel good. Each to their own


Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Apr 2021 at 11:41am
Back to Top
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

ah come on, nobody is slamming anyone. I couldn’t care less how people think is the best way to support their club.

My point is that if you’re financially supporting the owners of these clubs by buying tickets, spending money in grounds, buying sky, spending money on merchandise - but at the same time the club is taking you for a ride - you can’t really complain when they keep taking advantage of you.

They’ll keep doing it until it hits them in the pocket. Until then, you’re just encouraging it by giving them your money.

I feel like we’re going around in circles here, each to their own, but beware of the consequences. 

You can't complain that they have tried to take advantage of their power as its obvious they are more in it for the money and they'll try squeeze every penny they can off ya, but I do think you can complain when it goes over the line and they are trying to change the sport and takeover the running of its premier competion with rules that completely favor them, as what happened with the ESL.  
It will come back on the radar again at some point. I really hope fans and others can stay united against the plans to redesign football completely 
Back to Top
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Location: Castlebar
Status: Offline
Points: 24811
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
More about their own experience? Ffs lads what do ye think football is? We only follow and watch it because we enjoy it! It's not some massive sacrifice LOL
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Back to Top
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Joined: 18 Sep 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Online
Points: 28038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

More about their own experience? Ffs lads what do ye think football is? We only follow and watch it because we enjoy it! It's not some massive sacrifice LOL


LOLClap  You hear the likes of AidoM say the same about away trips as if they are Martyrs because they spend their holidays watching football.  


Edited by Baldrick - 23 Apr 2021 at 12:03pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Back to Top
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 23026
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

More about their own experience? Ffs lads what do ye think football is? We only follow and watch it because we enjoy it! It's not some massive sacrifice LOL

Yes so everyone should be left to enjoy it as they see fit and shouldn't have to apologize, be ridiculed or be called a sheep because they do it in a certain way. 

Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 32992
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:19pm
Baldrick's definitely going to knock out a barstooler before this season is out


Back to Top
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Location: Tibet
Status: Offline
Points: 13751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

i really think it's up to the person where and how he or she wants to spend their money

100 per cent it is.

However, by financially supporting these clubs, you are lining the owners pockets who are in it to make money.

So no point in giving them your money on the one hand, then giving out about the price of your season ticket, matches been switched to silly times and days for tv, etc.

No point giving your money to the club, whose sole purpose for the owners is to make money for themselves - and be surprised that they look at other ways to make more money. By financially supporting these clubs, you’re encouraging it.

Any premier league club would’ve jumped at chance to join the super league if invited, all the same.

I have little sympathy for Man Utd supporters especially. Protests gained great momentum in 2004/2005. Singing not one penny, etc. But then all renewed STs in August. A few thousand didn’t , stuck to their word about not giving the glazers their money, and are having a great time getting their united kicks at fc, and some also at man Utd away matches!

United supporters calling for the glazers to go now? Tongue. 16 years too late, but they’ll still give the glazers their money come August and nothing will change.
Wheelo i really get the United of Manchester just love the underdogs anyway but it's really hard for the long in the tooth fan say who has been a Newcastle fan for 50 years , now you have seen good and bad times and still surport the team still buy a season ticket .
Then things start to change Ashley takes over you don't like the look of him and a few years down the line you were right as he is nothing but a cheap crook .
What do you do not go anymore because you will be giving your money to him sort of or now take up as a Gateshead fan ? 
It's the club that has you hooked not those who run it and one thing is for sure you will out live those in power and you will still be a Newcastle fan .

Nobody said it’s easy, I know lads in their 60s at fcum who followed united regularly home and away.

People asked why they didn’t support altringham, Salford, etc - the reason is they were existing clubs and not their club. 

So instead, they set up a club for Man Utd supporters who didn’t want to financially support the business, and still get their Man Utd kicks. I’m a bit young to say, but the older lads tell me it’s like going to see Man Utd in the 70s.

Although for some it was easy. For some, they stopped going before the glazers even took over. They were priced out of going to OT, or didn’t like the way modern football was going, sterile atmosphere, all seater stadium, couldn’t go with your mates, etc. So instead of going to the hardware shops on a Saturday afternoon, they got their Man Utd kicks at fc united, in an affordable way, where the owners aren’t looking to fleece the fans to make money for themselves.

So yes, it’s not easy for some to stop financially backing the club. I get that. But you have to have some backbone if you have an issue with something - otherwise prepare to keep getting it from the clubs!!

But for some it was quite easy - a lot of working class people have been priced out of going to watch their club! 
You make very valid and good points Wheelo would love to sit down over a few pints and have a chat with you on this .
I really see your point when the lads left and could not face watching another club as i know it first hand when Galway United went , my idea was to go up to Athlone but i never did as it was not my team . Now Burnley were one game ( the Orient game )  away from oblivion in the late 80s it was all over if the dropped out of the old 4th division it was that close .
So when you think where the club are today it makes me proud to say i am a fan and always will be .
Long story cut short but there is a Lad called Dave Burnley never missed a game since the early 70s until covid anywhere Burnley played in the world and in the bad times i said to him after he was taken for a ride from those who ran the club at the time why do you put up with it , he said " It's the club not the people who run it , Keep the faith " .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.