You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doping in sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:47pm
Some improvement for the female Irish rower at the world championships this week. Gone from being barely competitive to being a second faster than the current world champion and pissing through the heats.

Alarm bells ringing. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:58pm
Sanita Puspure?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Some improvement for the female Irish rower at the world championships this week. Gone from being barely competitive to being a second faster than the current world champion and pissing through the heats.

Alarm bells ringing. 

She just missed out on a medal last year 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:03pm
She also won silver and bronze at the Euro's in 2014 and 2016, gold at WSG, and bronze at u23 Worlds.

She has basically been in around the medals since she's 22.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

She also won silver and bronze at the Euro's in 2014 and 2016, gold at WSG, and bronze at u23 Worlds.

Jaysis citing a bronze at u23 is  a big stretch for a now 36 year old whose clocking some of the fastest times she's had in her career.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 14 Sep 2018 at 3:56pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:29pm

Jaysis citing a bronze at u23 is  a big stretch for a now 36 year old whose clocking some of the fastest times she's had in her career.

He also said she's constantly been in and around the medals. We're not talking Michelle Smith here ffs
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:30pm

You conveniently left out the medals in 2014 and 2016.

She's been a high performance rower for about 15 years.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:32am

Eh, rowing can't be judged on times alone though. I don't know much about the sport, but even a quick look would tell you that times over race distances vary hugely, even the day after a heat to the next day's one, I'd imagine mainly because of water/current conditions. Its not like a track where the thing is solid & the only thing that changes is whether it is wet or dry & if there is wind or not. And unlike a track, water conditions could vary significantly across lanes too. 

36 wouldn't be particularly old for a rower either, this data indicates that the average age of olympic medal winners in rowing has risen by 7 years since 1980. http://www.worldrowing.com/news/higher-faster-older-the-age-olympians

Like any sportsperson these days, I wouldn't be stating with certainty they were clean, but neither do I see anything really unusual here whatsoever, she is an example of consistency for the guts of 20 years. The O'Donovans have often stated that there are 4 or 5 crews that could win any race on a given day, including themselves, I doubt it is a lot different for the single rowers, there are a huge amount of variables at play, more so than track based sport. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 9:08am
Ironic calling out a superb sportswoman with a history of success over two decades yet nothing said about the batch of Skibbereen towers that happily coincidentally all came on the scene at once. But sure they seem like good craic and a couple of them can put the success down to pulling like dogs and eating steaks so nothing to see here.

What’s in the water down there is the question to be asked.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:21am
No one going to mention your man who broke the marathon world record over the weekend by over 1 minute?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:31am

Canelos win over GGG at the weekend is worth a mention. Aside from the dodgy result, his positive drug test earlier in the year has surely tainted the win.
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:32am
It's not that much in the context of marathon running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_record_progression

I see the Dublin ladies GAA team must be neck deep in EPO or something too? - and I won't mention the mens team!

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:30pm
Kimmage is like a dog on a bone over this Heaslip thing. LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 28 Oct 2019 at 5:32pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm
He is ever a dog with a bone. He doesn't let stuff lie at all.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 4:32pm
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337

Some nervous Team Marginal Gains cyclists current and former I'd imagine

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm
I heard Ronnie O'Sullivan failed a drug test for cannabis and has been given a lengthy ban.  At least he finished his career on a high.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337

Some nervous Team Marginal Gains cyclists current and former I'd imagine

Whole thing is a bit of a fudge though Den. Some statute of limitations date thing has been passed, so if Freeman says drugs were for Sutton, Sutton says they weren't, maybe Sutton will name who he knows or thinks they were for, maybe he'll say he knows nothing about anything, it just all goes around in a circle. 

Lads who want to believe in marginal gains will continue to do so, lads who know anything at all about the subject will find some of the excuses laughable, and on it continues. Only thing is, I think this lad could prove to be mentally frail. He's already delayed this enquiry a number of times, today his QC says he admitted to telling a load of lies (there's a shock....) up to very recently, even to his own legal people, and he's asked that a screen be erected to shield him from Sutton if Sutton is also appearing at the enquiry, so he can't see him. 

It all suggests a fella feeling a lot of strain anyway, maybe he'll crack and admit more than he intends to. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:49am
This thing only getting going, as above- Freeman says Sutton 'bullied him into' ordering drugs, which Freeman maintains were for him, Sutton denies this and is also expected to produce medical evidence that indicates the drugs weren't for him. 

In another fudge, the tribunal intends to establish that the drugs were not for Sutton, but instead were used for microdosing (doping) purposes on ''an athlete'' connected to British Cycling who they have no intention of naming, or perhaps haven't enough evidence to name. 

I wonder who that could be. David Walsh or someone like that might know, I can't think of anyone. Hardly the 2 lads that won most of the cycling GT races over the last 8 years, can rule them out straight away.......

One of the more interesting side aspects of today was that the testosterone patch supplier knew Dr Freeman since his days at Bolton Wanderers (he was there around the time of the Big Sam era). Ah sure, I'm sure everything was above board there anyway, why would anyone think otherwise. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic