You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

At 22, if he does leave West Brom it's unlikely we would walk into the first team of a premier league club should be leave. Playing at full season at Championship level would not necessarily be a bad thing for his development. 

He’s playing pretty well and there aren’t hoards of young centre half’s in the PL looking to a degree comfortable at that level. He’s a decent passer of the ball can defend in the air. Even for Ireland in an atrocious team he came in and was one of a few if the only that enhanced his reputation in the last qualifying campaign.  

I wouldn’t be shocked if there was interest in him. Burnley a club that will be looking for a centre half or the newly promoted clubs let’s say. West Ham and Palace another two that may look for a centre half. 

I would be quite happy to see him stay at West Brom. Personally I would fancy the life out of them to go straight back up once Sam Allardyce stays. I would even consider having a strong punt on them once he stays and they keep the core of their squad like Norwich did. That’s important.

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
Sponsored Links

AbuAbu View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:41pm
Definitely has a good future. I would be concerned he is not big enough to be a real top class CH. But a decent player and will definitely have a good career injuries permitting
It's not me it's you:-)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:20pm
He's 6-ft 1. Cannavaro the World Cup winning captain of Italy was 5-ft 9.

Size is only an issue if aerial ability is your trump card. O'Shea while not as yet in the bracket of Cannavaro, definitely doesn't fall into the bracket of our traditional centre halfs of recent times. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Size is only an issue if aerial ability is your trump card. O'Shea while not as yet in the bracket of Cannavaro, definitely doesn't fall into the bracket of our traditional centre halfs of recent times. 

I'd say 6,1 is pretty much the sweet spot for a centre half, usually I find, and there are exceptions of course, the taller centre halves are not as mobile or lose some vital acceleration on the turn. 

Oshea is tall enough and has that modern centre back slim build to succeed. Importantly his reading of the game is very good and getting better.

With oshea, Collins and Omobamidele I think this is a really good foundation in that position going forward.
Left foot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'd say 6,1 is pretty much the sweet spot for a centre half, usually I find, and there are exceptions of course, the taller centre halves are not as mobile or lose some vital acceleration on the turn. 

Oshea is tall enough and has that modern centre back slim build to succeed. Importantly his reading of the game is very good and getting better.

With oshea, Collins and Omobamidele I think this is a really good foundation in that position going forward.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:18pm
wouldn't hate if Robinson stayed with WBA and played every week in the championship. Agree it wouldn't be a nightmare if DOS stayed as well, but i do think hes capable of playing in the premier league for a mid-table side, would depend on who wanted him i guess. could see him doing well for a team like wolves or palace, wouldn't want to see him just go to a newly promoted side that goes right back down
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:32pm
If Robinson is playing and scoring anywhere I’d be happy. If O’Shea spends more than a couple of seasons at a mid tier premier league team, I’d be disappointed. I think he has the quality to go right to the top. Big premier league teams should be looking at him because he has more to his game that most of the defenders that they have in the same age group. He could even play in France or Italy
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:57pm
He is a solid centre half. But the modern defender needs to be able to pass it out from the back, which he does well so that skill puts him ahead of a lot of other players in his position, add in his age too and he looks like he would attract many suitors 
It would damage this forums' reputation
kevin100 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

If Robinson is playing and scoring anywhere I’d be happy. If O’Shea spends more than a couple of seasons at a mid tier premier league team, I’d be disappointed. I think he has the quality to go right to the top. Big premier league teams should be looking at him because he has more to his game that most of the defenders that they have in the same age group. He could even play in France or Italy

Robinson will be staying I suspect no fear there and I’d be happy to see him too. Will play regularly there and like I say I do fancy West Brom to go back up if they can hang onto the core of their squad and the manager.

Big praise for O’Shea I do rate him highly and while he’s gone under the radar compared to a Ben White let’s say there aren’t hoards of young defenders in there early 20s in the PL playing regularly and looking competent doing so. By default he should get one or two clubs looking at him for that. 

If any PL club picked him up I’d be happy with a view to the next 2/3 years but I’d agree in that certainly I wouldnt look at the likes of Ozan Kabak Joe Rodon or Ben Godfrey and think christ they are way better then O’Shea.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's not at a club who could be categorised as being at that level though. If WBA go down, there's no guarantees that he'll even get a move to stay in the PL, even to one of the 3 teams who get promoted. I'd be more than happy for him to develop at a mid-tier for 3-4 years, if he was able to get such a move.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:02pm
https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-west-brom-3-0-southampton-allardyce-sextet-shop-window

Six West Brom players in the shop window for a move according to that article, but unsurprisingly o'shea is not one of the six. 

Quite a few of their players are on loan so I don't think it's as simple as they go down and bounce back straight away, they will have a battle on their hands in the Championship next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic