You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

craft beer, real ales and the like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 61626364>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Where did you get that?
 https://brehonbrewhouse.ie/product/killanny-red-5l-mini-keg/

Nice.

So do you just bang that in the fridge and then pint away at your leisure.
Yeah or on the counter top. My kitchen is cold so for the ale given how cold the kitchen is room temp is grand. Stout and lager id fridge though.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Just ordered a 5L keg of Brehon Brewery's Killanny Red.
Sounds rotten

Lovey easy drinking red all that. Get it as cold as possible before opening. 

Jaysus no for the love of god, you never serve ale freezing cold ffs, kills the taste. A good ale is served at just about chilled. This Irish obsession with cold beer is awful, only lagers and draight stout should be cold

Its actually to help with the pouring from the keg, doesn't effect the taste. Those kegs are recommended to be chilled for 24hrs before use and with good reason.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:41pm

Sounds rotten

Jaysus no for the love of god, you never serve ale freezing cold ffs, kills the taste. A good ale is served at just about chilled. This Irish obsession with cold beer is awful, only lagers and draight stout should be cold
Just said to HB re my kitchen so I stuck them in the fridge for an hour. Theyre just sitting out now. Just had the first mouthful, bit too chilled.

Oops, mixed myself up between the cans and keg ive ordered a bit. I would chill the keg a good bit but once its pouring itll be the counter top.

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Jan 2021 at 7:43pm
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:50pm

Sounds rotten

Just said to HB re my kitchen so I stuck them in the fridge for an hour. Theyre just sitting out now. Just had the first mouthful, bit too chilled.

Oops, mixed myself up between the cans and keg ive ordered a bit. I would chill the keg a good bit but once its pouring itll be the counter top.

Ya I wouldn't drink the cans straight from the fridge. But ya I agree with ya, the keg should be chilled first and then served and kept out on your counter or wherever. I had a load of mini kegs during the first lockdown and the majority were from Brehon. I even bought a dual fridge with temp control. Its meant for wine but I use it for beer. Bottom set to 8 degrees for lagers and ales and the top half set to 12 for my stouts, imperial stouts and other strong and dark beers
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:52pm
Did you try the whiskey porter? Any use?
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm

Crann Beatha or Shanco Dubh? Both phenomenally good anyway. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm

Shanco Dubh I was thinking of, didn’t think the Crann Beatha has a whiskey aged variety? The shanco comes in two varieties.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:03pm

Shanco Dubh I was thinking of, didn’t think the Crann Beatha has a whiskey aged variety? The shanco comes in two varieties.

The Crann Beatha only comes whisky aged LOL. But as I said both are great, the shanco isn't as strong though so its easier to manage. Get a couple of ctann beathas into ya and god knows what you'll end up doing LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:07pm

The Crann Beatha only comes whisky aged LOL. But as I said both are great, the shanco isn't as strong though so its easier to manage. Get a couple of ctann beathas into ya and god knows what you'll end up doing LOL
ah ok, I got that the wrong way round completely then LOL local Molloys has the can selection and the Ulster Black only. Ill give that a go next 
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
@sham apart from the whiskey aged ones id recommend Brehon's new Double IPA; Just Because. Really good beer, 8.2% aswell LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:32pm

@sham apart from the whiskey aged ones id recommend Brehon's new Double IPA; Just Because. Really good beer, 8.2% aswell LOL
Not that into IPAs but I’ll sample it as I get through the range
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Picked up a peanut butter and jelly porter in the supermarket earlier. It's from Northern Monk, who do some lovely beers, but I am a little bit apprehensive of it.
🤢
It's very well done. You get peanut at the start and jam at the end, but it's unquestionably a very good porter. Looks great, with great texture and is very easy to drink. I should have got more of them!

Monk do a lot of great experimental porters and stouts alright. 

I'd recommend wicklow wolfs apex range if you're a fan of porters and stouts. Their marshmallow one is devine
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm
sipping the kinnegar Limeburner pale ale.  Gorgeous beer.  Could imagine myself having 6 or 7 of these no problem
AKA pedantic kunt
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Picked up a peanut butter and jelly porter in the supermarket earlier. It's from Northern Monk, who do some lovely beers, but I am a little bit apprehensive of it.
🤢
It's very well done. You get peanut at the start and jam at the end, but it's unquestionably a very good porter. Looks great, with great texture and is very easy to drink. I should have got more of them!

Monk do a lot of great experimental porters and stouts alright. 

I'd recommend wicklow wolfs apex range if you're a fan of porters and stouts. Their marshmallow one is devine

The apex range was class, and I agree particularly the marshmallow one, in terms of flavoured stouts id also recommend white hags dark druid range from this year. Northern Monk do some experimental ales and sours too, I had a raspberry sorbet sour a while back, top quality. 
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

sipping the kinnegar Limeburner pale ale.  Gorgeous beer.  Could imagine myself having 6 or 7 of these no problem

Have 2 cans of big bunny in the fridge, definitely my favourite of theirs.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:42pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Have 2 cans of big bunny in the fridge, definitely my favourite of theirs.

Just checked had 2 of these in the garage  lovely drop too.  Very similar to the craft beers I drank in the states.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 3:42am
Just ordered a mini keg of Brehon Ulster Black from beerclub.ie for collection in Tyrellstown on Monday. Thank god I’m off until Wednesday.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm

Just ordered a mini keg of Brehon Ulster Black from beerclub.ie for collection in Tyrellstown on Monday. Thank god I’m off until Wednesday.

Did u make your way through the keg of Killanny Red yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 61626364>
  Share Topic