Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cliftonville Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 67>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:31pm
Yeah, they’ve been a good idea. Add a bit of interest to the end of the season 
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 8:42pm
Linfield 3 Glentoran 4 during the week....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:03am
Cliftonville have three friendlies aginst LOI opposition this over the next month. 

Derry @ Brandywell Friday 22nd June
Sligo @ The Showgrounds Sunday June 24th 
Shelbourne @ Tolka Park Sunday 8th June

Three fine stadia and hope to make it to Derry and Shelbourne. For me anyway, probably not the views of most Redsmen, I would prefer to play in the League of Ireland on a permanent basis. Away games in Sligo, Derry and Dublin would appeal much more to me than away games in Ballymena, Dungannon and Carrickfergus. I'd miss the Belfast rivalries mind. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Cliftonville have three friendlies aginst LOI opposition this over the next month. 

Three fine stadia and hope to make it to Derry and Shelbourne. For me anyway, probably not the views of most Redsmen, I would prefer to play in the League of Ireland on a permanent basis. Away games in Sligo, Derry and Dublin would appeal much more to me than away games in Ballymena, Dungannon and Carrickfergus. I'd miss the Belfast rivalries mind. 

You haven't been to Tolka for a while I take it
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:34am

Do you mean the 8th of July?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:34am
They're back to pre season tomorrow
Didn't get much of a break, presumably due to Europa League participation.

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:37am

Would love to have Cliftonville in our league, an away day in Belfast would be great. 

One of my friends however made the point that it would only solidify the unionist control of the IL and worsen the situation there. As a fan in the league do you think he has a point or would you even care if you were out of it?
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Would love to have Cliftonville in our league, an away day in Belfast would be great...One of my friends however made the point that it would only solidify the unionist control of the IL and worsen the situation there. As a fan in the league do you think he has a point or would you even care if you were out of it?

That's a bit overwrought. It's a football competition, not the Orange Order. Cliftonville leaving would weaken the League, but it's unlikely on cost grounds. At the moment, only Linfield (biggest stadium and support) and Crusaders (UEFA money) could afford the move. Cliftonville and Glentoran are now clearly stuck in the Smaller 3 of the City's clubs, with Coleraine the main challenger from up-country Tongue
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Would love to have Cliftonville in our league, an away day in Belfast would be great...One of my friends however made the point that it would only solidify the unionist control of the IL and worsen the situation there. As a fan in the league do you think he has a point or would you even care if you were out of it?

That's a bit overwrought. It's a football competition, not the Orange Order. Cliftonville leaving would weaken the League, but it's unlikely on cost grounds. At the moment, only Linfield (biggest stadium and support) and Crusaders (UEFA money) could afford the move. Cliftonville and Glentoran are now clearly stuck in the Smaller 3 of the City's clubs, with Coleraine the main challenger from up-country Tongue

Don't get me wrong I'd want ye all down, or more accurately we'd join up I suppose in the top tier. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a organisation that makes a decision similar to the IFA Cup Final fiasco would become more hardcore if it's biggest dissenter left. It's not as if the association is apolitical. Second to that many down here wish to see an AIL some day and that would be harder to achieve if we poached all the "nationalist clubs".
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:39am
It's much more likely that the IFA will react to the Cup Final row by dropping GSTQ at future finals*, than that the Reids will walk. As Fintan suggests above, there just isn't the backing for it. You're wishfully thinking here surely?

* basically because you either have it or you don't, not conditional on whether Cliftonville/ Newry/ anyone else with a large Nationalist support are involved

Agreed, the IFA like all FAs is political. As a good recent example of this, the Poppy fetish season has got out of hand recently because the EFA are afraid of the tabloid media and the smaller neighbors don't want to go out of line.

There'll be a single League if a united Ireland happens, I imagine the two existing set-ups will struggle on unless and until then.

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 12 Jun 2018 at 10:44am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:59am

It's much more likely that the IFA will react to the Cup Final row by dropping GSTQ at future finals*, than that the Reids will walk. As Fintan suggests above, there just isn't the backing for it. You're wishfully thinking here surely?

* basically because you either have it or you don't, not conditional on whether Cliftonville/ Newry/ anyone else with a large Nationalist support are involved

Agreed, the IFA like all FAs is political. As a good recent example of this, the Poppy fetish season has got out of hand recently because the EFA are afraid of the tabloid media and the smaller neighbors don't want to go out of line.

There'll be a single League if a united Ireland happens, I imagine the two existing set-ups will struggle on unless and until then.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Just a big fan of talking hypotheticals. 
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm

Would love to have Cliftonville in our league, an away day in Belfast would be great. 

One of my friends however made the point that it would only solidify the unionist control of the IL and worsen the situation there. As a fan in the league do you think he has a point or would you even care if you were out of it?

I'm a fan of Cliftonville because they are on my doorstep not of that league. The toxic fallout out from the Irish Cup final and the disgusting, dehumanising words and slurs against all things Cliftonville that I had to read and listen to in work in the wake of the anthem incident is an annoyance but doesn't have much if anything for my desire to play teams from Derry, Dublin, Cork and other towns round Ireland. If we left I wouldnt care what happened to any of the clubs or the Irish League for that matter. Just think being in the LOI would be a bigger more exciting prospect. Big crowds from like of Rovers, Cork and Derry coming up on a Friday night would be great and we'd soon  form our own rivalries for footballing reasons alone. Sadly most Reds would be of the opinion that we were first in that league and we are going nowhere for any reason. LOI is just a bigger, better product which I would like to be a part of. No political reasons at all attached to that. 
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:55pm
Reasons why I want to join the LOI
1) Summer football
2) Friday night games
3) Better football
4) More interesting away trips
5) Chance to play at LR - IC final this year sponsored by Tennents Lager ran out of beer in the Cliftonville end ffs - Tinpot 
6) Chance to form genuine rivalries instead of the whole league bar a few clubs literally despising us for a very obvious reason 
7) Not being called a Fenian bastard in that sh*thole Carrickfergus ever again. 
8) LOI is just bigger, better and more glamerous in every sense. 

Would never happen due to the ownership we rightly feel iver the IL and associated competitions as its senior citizens, most Reds being happy where we are and in all honesty if a Belfast Club were to be invited in we'd be down the pecking order. I suspect if fans of Crues, Linfield and Glentoran took a fact based approach theynwoukd probably want to mive as well. Glens and Linfield would only move together imo. Also the fear of losing the North as a national team would probably be a major blocker. 
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:57pm
TBH though Cliftonville in the EPL would be an even better proposition.... like the LOI thing though never going to happen lol. Just musing hypothetical scenarios. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:43am

1) Summer football
2) Friday night games
3) Better football
5) Chance to play at LR - IC final this year sponsored by Tennents Lager ran out of beer in the Cliftonville end ffs - Tinpot 
6) Chance to form genuine rivalries instead of the whole league bar a few clubs literally despising us for a very obvious reason 
8) LOI is just bigger, better and more glamerous in every sense

1) I'd support the Irish League trialling a Feb-Nov season
2) they are already
3) agreed, but you need to balance that against the likelihood of relegation to play Cabinteely and co
4) OK, but how long would the novelty last? I speak as a veteran of January holidaying in Bundoran ;)
5) translation: it was a near sellout and you all got blocked. What's not to like?
6) I don't despise you cos you're not a rival any more, our relationship is like Guardiola's with Wenger
7) Hmm. I visit family and friends in Carrick regularly and no-one ever...admittedly there was an over-50s hen fight in the 'Spoons last time I was in
8) apart from (2) above, there are fewer teams and nothing will ever make Phibsboro glamorous as the song almost says
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:47pm

1) Summer football
2) Friday night games
3) Better football
8) LOI is just bigger, better and more glamerous in every sense

1) I'd support the Irish League trialling a Feb-Nov season
2) they are already
3) agreed, but you need to balance that against the likelihood of relegation to play Cabinteely and co
4) OK, but how long would the novelty last? I speak as a veteran of January holidaying in Bundoran ;)
5) translation: it was a near sellout and you all got blocked. What's not to like?
6) I don't despise you cos you're not a rival any more, our relationship is like Guardiola's with Wenger
7) Hmm. I visit family and friends in Carrick regularly and no-one ever...admittedly there was an over-50s hen fight in the 'Spoons last time I was in
8) apart from (2) above, there are fewer teams and nothing will ever make Phibsboro glamorous as the song almost says

1) IFA conducted a survey asking fans if they would like summer football....my orediction is nothing will change. 
2) Regular Friday night games. Think we had 3 last season. 
3) Would cement our place as a top flight team in a decade. 
4) The nielty wouldn't wear off I love driving.
5)  the TENNENTS lager IC final ran out of beer. There wasn't enough time for most off us to get a drink because of the queues at the handful of turnstyles they opened. Tinpot league. 
6) You hate us cause you aint us R.A No.1
7) Never having to be called a fenian bastard again in Portadown.
8) Bigger country - bigger league simples. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
Looking to go to the Cliftonville v Linfield game on the 25th Aug.

Will this be a sell out? any issues getting tickets for this game?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
oi floreat you ****, lay off sl*ggin phizzer , if you can find any location in the wee six to match the amount of great boozers within 5 minutes walk of dalier , plus 3 bars in the ground, plus the pies and music after games then fair enough. Otherwise use the talla wastelands as your example.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 67>
  Share Topic