You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chesterfield - The LOI Connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Shels, Rovers and Sligo will all be entitled to some sort of fee. Possibly whoever he was with before Shels as well
Cherry Orchard

Booooooooooooo Thumbs Down
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Will ourselves and Shams get a few quid on the u23 development fee?
A few years at each club I think.
at 26 I don't believe so
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:06am
I remember Doyler playing for us (the Hoops) and I`m not going to pretend that he struck me as someone with huge potential. He was quite young at the time and mad keen to impress when he came off the bench.

He moved to Sligo and had Paul Cook as his mentor and I remember suddenly seeing his name on that club`s scoresheet in match reports. But was he a prolific goalscorer with Sligo? I dont honestly remember as he didnt exactly light up the LOI at the time.

He then moved to Hibs and had a very low goals-to-game ratio. Apparently Hibs fans are now bemused that he kept his goalscoring under wraps till he moved to Chesterfield! I hope Doyler doesnt move because Paul Cook is keeping him grounded and reminding him of his days in the Showgrounds
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 9:18am
Scored 20 league goals for us in his last season
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:03pm
I definitely recall his third season at Sligs being quite good. Up to that he hadn't justified Cook taking a punt on him.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm
First 2 seasons with us and although he played I don't remember him scoring many goals (the opener in the 2009 cup final against Fingal does stand out tho). AS NNNN said he scored a lot in his third season but by then I think he was starting up-front every game. Before that he played in a few positions. I remember him even playing at RB a couple of times.

I have to say Im surprised he has done as well as he has, I always thought that his biggest downfall as a striker would be his 'goals to chances ratio'. He always seemed to need 3 or 4 chances for every goal he got.

Best of luck to him, talked to him before and he seemed a sound lad.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:43am
Doyler didnt score tonight in their cup replay but by all accounts, he drew some great saves from the S****horpe keeper. Looks like there was a big Irish connection on the park tonight, with Doyler, Ryan and O`Shea for Chesterfield and Paddy Madden, (ex-Bohs), Niall Canavan, (Leeds-born, with Irish connections) and the Waterford player, Eddie Nolan, all playing for Scunnie.

Chesterfield have a really tough 4th round ahead, away to Derby. I`m sure Paul Cook must be itching to have a crack at outsmarting Steve Mc Laren on the tactical front
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:12pm
Great to see the 3 Irish lads on the scoresheet this week. Doyler got 2 and O`Shea got the other on Tues night. Today it was Doyler and Jimmy Ryan and it shows the spirit in the Chesterfield team as they were 2-0 down. I notice the ex-Sligo player Boco wasnt in the squad, unless he was let go during the Jan window?

Chesterfield are in a play-off position and fair dues to Paul Cook and the Sligo Academy of Managers:) But that`s one very tight league, with 4 points seperating 5th to 14th. Goes to show that you can never write off how good a player can become and Doyler is like the poster boy for late developers. He`s now on 21 league goals and 24 in all competitions, and we`re only at the end of Jan!  
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Great to see the 3 Irish lads on the scoresheet this week. Doyler got 2 and O`Shea got the other on Tues night. Today it was Doyler and Jimmy Ryan and it shows the spirit in the Chesterfield team as they were 2-0 down. I notice the ex-Sligo player Boco wasnt in the squad, unless he was let go during the Jan window?

Chesterfield are in a play-off position and fair dues to Paul Cook and the Sligo Academy of Managers:) But that`s one very tight league, with 4 points seperating 5th to 14th. Goes to show that you can never write off how good a player can become and Doyler is like the poster boy for late developers. He`s now on 21 league goals and 24 in all competitions, and we`re only at the end of Jan!  

Boco moved to India recently, playing for a club there.
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 6:17pm
http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/article/doyle-deal-agreed-2243569.aspx
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:12pm
Good move for Doyle. Wonder will Chesterfield stay with the leaders now. Maybe O'Shea will step up to the task. Better still Cook might get a move to the Championship.
alive and kicking
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 12:40am
Tbh I was disappointed with the move and thought it was bad business on the part of Chesterfield. I know they have debt issues and the chairman said tonight that a chunk of the transfer fee would go towards paying off some of that debt.

But if Doyler had stayed till May his goal tally would`ve been huge, at the rate he`s scoring. Assombalonga was the top scorer in League 1 last season with Peterboro and he was signed by Forest for £5 million. Cardiff are getting Doyler for around £1.5 million.

Also, Cardiff are struggling lately with (I think) 6 defeats in their last 8 league games. Chesterfield are on the rise and with Doyler`s goals, they might have ended up in the Championship next season with Cardiff.

But hey I wish him well and he`ll treble his wages for starters, along with the signing-on fee. I hope Russell Slade starts him at Cardiff and has the same influence and belief in him as Paul Cook.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:39am
As i have stated elsewhere on here, it is very difficult to correlate transfer fees. For example in this case Peterborough didn't need to sell, the Spirites did, nor does it take into account how badly either club wanted either player or wage demands etc.
Having said all that, even a trivial comparison is foolish at this stage. Assombalonga's record for Forest is better than one in two despite regularly being played out of position. I saw him play for the Posh and he was an absolute beast and the sort of player Celtic should be signing.
Doyle has had a great half season and is full of confidence and hope he keeps it up. It is a gamble by Cardiff who appear to be in a bit of disarray. To contrast, when Doyle was linked with Celtic, I felt like crying
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 12:44am
Agreed "pre Madonna". I often shake my head in disbelief at valuations in the transfer market. You saw Assombalonga play for Posh, I didnt. He must`ve been fairly awesome if Forest gave £5 million for him. And here`s what puzzles me: in the previous 2012/2013 season, the ex-Bohs player Madden was top scorer in League 1 with Yeovil, yet there was no big scramble to sign him and I dont think he even featured in Yeovil`s squad in the Championship.

Chesterfield are clearly under the financial cosh but could they not have hung in there for another few months till May? At the rate Doyler was scoring, who`s to say that his goal tally wouldnt break a League 1 record and his valuation would soar? After all, WBA, Sheff Utd and Preston were all tracking him and Chesterfield could even have made back-to-back promotions. If the Spireites didnt get promoted at the end of this season, at least Doyler could be sold on for a lot more than the 850K his club got from Cardiff.

I hope it works out for him. He was in a comfort zone with Chesterfield, a fans favourite, surrounded by fellow Irish players like Ryan and O`Shea and his gaffer Paul Cook and Romauld Boco from his LOI days at Sligo. He`s going into a completely different environment at Cardiff and at least, at 26, he`ll be better equipped to handle the pressure.  
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:54am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As i have stated elsewhere on here, it is very difficult to correlate transfer fees. For example in this case Peterborough didn't need to sell, the Spirites did, nor does it take into account how badly either club wanted either player or wage demands etc.
Having said all that, even a trivial comparison is foolish at this stage. Assombalonga's record for Forest is better than one in two despite regularly being played out of position. I saw him play for the Posh and he was an absolute beast and the sort of player Celtic should be signing.
Doyle has had a great half season and is full of confidence and hope he keeps it up. It is a gamble by Cardiff who appear to be in a bit of disarray. To contrast, when Doyle was linked with Celtic, I felt like crying

Assombalonga had real raw potential at Posh, loved watching him as he was pure fearless. Last summer before Forest signed him, I was clamouring for Sunderland to sign him.

I have no idea if he would have been ready for the PL, but what he has in his locker are pace, directness and an eye for a goal. All the things we badly needed up top at SAFC, raging we didn't sign him. Worst thing could have happened was him not being ready and then loan him out.

Very different player to Doyle as we all know, but if Doyle can even be a 1 in 3 man at Championship level he will be doing well.

Edited by Green Devil - 04 Feb 2015 at 1:56am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 12:10am
One of the lads at work was saying that as well "Green Devil". Assombalonga is big and strong, pacey and direct, and mad hungry for goals. He`s also got youth on his side as I think he`s only around 21 or 22. So that would`ve had a major bearing on his valuation in the transfer market.

Doyler is 26 and I suppose the conventional thinking in the boardrooms asked the same question: why hasnt he proven himself before this? To which I`d reply, what`s wrong with a late developer? The same could be said of another ex-LOI player, Paddy Madden, whose goals for Yeovil in the 2012-2013 season got them up to the Championship.

And yet there was no big scramble for Madden`s signature while he ended up at S****horpe, after being top scorer in League 1. Talk about ageism! It seems that players who are making a mark in Leagues 1 and 2, unless they`re under 23, are being completely overlooked by the bigger clubs. I hope Doyler can prove this conventional thinking wrong while at Cardiff.   

Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 11:39pm
Doyler`s gone but Chesterfield are still winning. Cook recently signed a lad called Caolan Lavery who played underage for Northern Ireland and scored the winning goal yesterday at Notts County, on his debut. They`re now firmly in the play-off positions lying 5th and I hope Cook can keep them there till May.

"smart man" - you were right about Jay O`Shea. With the spotlight off Doyler the other players now have a chance to shine. By all accounts O`Shea played a blinder yesterday and was man of the match. As for Doyler, he "looked bright" upfront for Cardiff on his debut, according to a match report. But Cardiff are woeful right now so it must be a fairly toxic dressing room after the buzz at Chesterfield.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 8:33pm
That Paul Cook is a smart operator. He brought in a Northern Irish lad, Caolan Lavery, on loan from Sheff Wed and he`s already taken up where Doyler left off. Lavery seems to be scoring in every game and got the winner last night at MK Dons.

Even if Cook doesnt get them up this season, I`d say there`ll be a few bigger clubs looking for his signature. He`s working off morsels at Chesterfield and doing a great job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic