Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=50499
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 7:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chesterfield - The LOI Connection
Posted By: Xpro
Subject: Chesterfield - The LOI Connection
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 12:28am
I knew nothing about Chesterfield till I recently discovered their strong LOI connection. They started the season well in League 1 and were just off the play-offs, though recent results havent been going their way. But I`m going to follow them for the rest of the season for these reasons:

1) Their manager is former Sligo boss Paul Cook.

2) Their top scorer is Eoin Doyle, former Shamrock Rovers and Sligo player, who`s already scored 14 goals and is that division`s top scorer.

3) Their midfielder, James O`Shea, formerly played for Bray Wanderers.

4) Their other striker, Romuald Boco, played for Sligo during Cook`s time in charge.

5) Another midfielder, Jimmy Ryan from Dublin, won 2 FA Youth Cups with Liverpool and was captain on both occasions.

Regarding Jimmy Ryan, is it not kind of scary how competitive the game now is across the water? Here`s a guy who captained Liverpool`s youths to 2 cups and back in the day of Dunphy and Giles would almost certainly have progressed to playing for Liverpool and our national team. These days, the competition for places is coming from right across the globe...  

Replies:
Posted By: 1980
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 10:46pm
Jimmy Ryan played for Accrington and S****horpe afterwards and he's a luxury player, chips in with the odd goal and a decent passer, no better than mid table league 1.

Eoin Doyle has settled in there well and might get a move to the Championship soon.

If you do go to Chesterfield for a game, make sure you clean your ears out. The accent is so rough even Google Translate gave up on it.

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 4:09pm
Gone of the boil a bit and the goals seem to have dried up for Doyler.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:13am
Thanks for the heads up "1980" and I`ll bring along a pack of cotton buds. Nah, I`ll just follow their results and read the match reports for the season, because of their LOI connection. Live matches for me are in Tallaght and on the few occasions I can afford it - a trip to the Emirates.

I agree "smart man" and I worry for Doyler`s sake. He began the season with a bang - literally - and had 14 goals by early November. Who knows? Maybe defenders have learnt to read him better in which case he`ll have to improve his technique. Paddy Madden, (ex Bohs), went through a goal drought in League 1 a couple of seasons back for Yeovil but ended up the season as that league`s top scorer.  

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 11:52pm
Two good recent wins for Chesterfield with Jimmy Ryan scoring the winner in their last game and Doyler scoring the winner today. They`re only a few points off the play-offs and it`s great to see Doyler on the score sheet. He`s gone through a barren spell and his animated goal celebration with the corner flag speaks volumes about his relief. Let`s hope his recent goal drought ended today...

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:55pm
in the paper the other day that a few clubs could be in for eoin doyle this month

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 10:04pm
Just beat the Dons in the fa cup 2nd round

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 11:21pm
"HateHenry" - your wish has been sorted. That was a great win for Paul Cook`s team last night as MK Dons in any cup competition, especially at home, are really hard to beat. And best of all, Doyler laid on the pinpoint cross for Roberts to score the winner.

On a side issue, is Sligo becoming an academy for managers? Between Cook at Chesterfield and John Coleman at Accrington Stanley, I see that Ian Baraclough was appointed Motherwell`s manager the other day in the SPL. Owen Heary must be already studying his atlas of Britain ahead of a move across the water Big smile

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

"HateHenry" - your wish has been sorted. That was a great win for Paul Cook`s team last night as MK Dons in any cup competition, especially at home, are really hard to beat. And best of all, Doyler laid on the pinpoint cross for Roberts to score the winner.

On a side issue, is Sligo becoming an academy for managers? Between Cook at Chesterfield and John Coleman at Accrington Stanley, I see that Ian Baraclough was appointed Motherwell`s manager the other day in the SPL. Owen Heary must be already studying his atlas of Britain ahead of a move across the water Big smile

We have a decent history of managers doing ok elsewhere (and Sean Connor).

Also on John Coleman. Doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Cook and Barraclough.

Posted By: starryplough
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 11:19am

Nice 5-0 defeat the other day for that Barraclough **** who thinks he is too good for the league Wacko

-------------
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

Nice 5-0 defeat the other day for that Barraclough **** who thinks he is too good for the league Wacko

where'd he say that

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 12:48pm
He was very dismissive of the league and had a pop at Fenlon in one of the rags just before Christmas

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 1:38pm

He was very dismissive of the league and had a pop at Fenlon in one of the rags just before Christmas

No he didn't. And anyone that knows or has spoken to Barraclough will tell you that he is an absolute gent and a very professional manager that wouldn't lower himself to having a go in the media.

What he said was: (not sure how people could get to offended by it )
“It’s a step up. The Scottish League is better than the Irish but it’s about how you organise people and are around them that matters.”

and

“I haven’t taken any notice of the record of managers who have gone from the League of Ireland to Scotland. Everyone is different.
Pat Fenlon, Stephen Kenny were Irish. I’m English. We’ve managed in the Irish League but I don’t see it as a barrier that will hold me back – I’m totally different to them."

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 1:41pm
Response??

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 1:50pm
What do you want me to say?? He was dismissive to the league and has been before doing media work etc. Myself and Fenlon obviously thought it, the Sligo man didn't, difference of opinion

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 1:59pm
Dubs are offended awful easy

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 3:22pm

What do you want me to say?? He was dismissive to the league and has been before doing media work etc. Myself and Fenlon obviously thought it , the Sligo man didn't, difference of opinion

where'd he say that

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 3:24pm
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/pat-fenlon-hits-out-disrespectful-4846500" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/pat-fenlon-hits-out-disrespectful-4846500
Storm in a tea cup IMO. Fenlon should have ignored.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: dickybhoy
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 6:51pm
Nothing offensive in what Baraclough said, he basically said he hadn't taken any notice of other managers who had moved to the SPL from LOI and that he was different to them.  Can't see how anyone can be offended by that.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 10:01pm
It's Fenlon for Gods sake. He's got a permanent chip on his shoulder.

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 3:07pm
Eoin Doyle and Jay O'Shea scored for them last night in 2-2 draw . My elderly grand uncle has been living there for decades and is a big supporter of them so I'd keep en eye on how they are doing.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 12:37am
They were 2-0 down away to Scunnie in the cup, so I`m sure Paul Cook must`ve been thrilled to see his two ex-LOI players score the decisive goals! I noticed the ex-Sligo player, Boco, started the game, when he`s usually on the bench for league matches. But Jimmy Ryan wasnt even included in the squad for some reason, unless he`s on the treatment table or being rested.

Doyler`s now on 22 goals for the season so far and top League 1 scorer with 17. I hope some Championship club dont come in for him during the Jan window and that he stays with the "Spireites". They`re only a point off Sheff Utd in the play-offs and Cook is clearly bringing out the best in him. 

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 8:19am
In fairness if a decent Championship club come in for him he'd be mad not to move. Talks to Derby and Cardiff wanting him and they're a big step up from Chesterfield. Presume would be more money for him as well.

I must say I never thought he'd make it over there when he was with us but fair play to him.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 9:13am
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-line-up-15million-swoop-4944722

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 9:25am
Ah ffs. I hope and assume that is bullsh*t

-------------

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-line-up-15million-swoop-4944722

Think you're missing a decimal point. It's £1.5m not £15m. You can relax again pre-madonna LOL

The bit in bold is clearly a typo, they must be thinking of Sheffield Wednesday or else don't know their arse from their elbow;  "Chesterfield have knocked back bids from two Championship sides - believed to be Sheffield United and Rotherham" 

Have to agree with your earlier point  NNNN, having seen him play in the flesh many a time I'm amazed he would even be successful at League 2 level, never mind League 1 and now attracting interest from the likes of Derby & Celtic. Would of had him down in the competent enough but not spectacular category when he played LOI.
Goes to show at times we certainly have the players in our own League who given the right environment and opportunity can step up and make a go of it.
Personally I think he should hang around at C'field a little longer. He clearly has a mutual love affair with Cookie and they are just a point off the play-offs. There is no guarantee he'll be an instant success going to Celtic or Derby. It could knock his confidence indefinitely and suddenly you'd have the usual instant gratification half-wits (including on here) going from twitter masturbation to instant amnesia.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 10:50am
I assumed it was 1.5. Still ridiculous

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 10:57am

I must say I never thought he'd make it over there when he was with us but fair play to him.
Most Rovers fans would say the same. He didn't do it for us and no-one was upset he moved to Sligo. Just shows you.

-------------

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Most Rovers fans would say the same. He didn't do it for us and no-one was upset he moved to Sligo. Just shows you.

Happens quite a bit around here where we look back and never saw the potential. On the other hand I thought Paul Corry going over to Sheffield Wednesday would be a huge success - just hasn't got a look in (has done quite well when he has played from what I've seen and read)

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

I guess he only was 19-20 at Rovers but he never looked above LoI average, 100% effort and a real nice lad mind you. Nearly 27 now so I guess this is the time he has to earn a good move/decent contract, mad how it works out sometimes but best of luck to him

-------------

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 1:05pm
There has been no official bid but he will move when there is one
He is a lot stronger and fitter now than his loi days.
Hopefully he gets a championship move

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 4:08pm
Will ourselves and Shams get a few quid on the u23 development fee?
A few years at each club I think.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 4:22pm
Shels, Rovers and Sligo will all be entitled to some sort of fee. Possibly whoever he was with before Shels as well

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 4:38pm
Wont be much, but handy few quid all the same.

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
According to the FIFA guidelines

If a professional moves during the course of a contract, 5% of any
compensation, not including training compensation paid to his former
club, shall be deducted from the total amount of this compensation
and distributed by the new club as a solidarity contribution to the
club(s) involved in his training and education over the years. This
solidarity contribution refl ects the number of years (calculated pro
rata if less than one year) he was registered with the relevant club(s)
between the seasons of his 12th and 23rd birthdays, as follows:
– Season of 12th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation);
– Season of 13th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation);
– Season of 14th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation);
– Season of 15th birthday: 5% (i.e. 0.25% of total compensation);
– Season of 16th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 17th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 18th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 19th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 20th birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 21st birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 22nd birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation);
– Season of 23rd birthday: 10% (i.e. 0.5% of total compensation).

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 8:26pm

Shels, Rovers and Sligo will all be entitled to some sort of fee. Possibly whoever he was with before Shels as well
Cherry Orchard

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Cherry Orchard

Booooooooooooo Thumbs Down

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Will ourselves and Shams get a few quid on the u23 development fee?
A few years at each club I think.
at 26 I don't believe so

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:06am
I remember Doyler playing for us (the Hoops) and I`m not going to pretend that he struck me as someone with huge potential. He was quite young at the time and mad keen to impress when he came off the bench.

He moved to Sligo and had Paul Cook as his mentor and I remember suddenly seeing his name on that club`s scoresheet in match reports. But was he a prolific goalscorer with Sligo? I dont honestly remember as he didnt exactly light up the LOI at the time.

He then moved to Hibs and had a very low goals-to-game ratio. Apparently Hibs fans are now bemused that he kept his goalscoring under wraps till he moved to Chesterfield! I hope Doyler doesnt move because Paul Cook is keeping him grounded and reminding him of his days in the Showgrounds

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 9:18am
Scored 20 league goals for us in his last season

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 12:03pm
I definitely recall his third season at Sligs being quite good. Up to that he hadn't justified Cook taking a punt on him.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 2:15pm
First 2 seasons with us and although he played I don't remember him scoring many goals (the opener in the 2009 cup final against Fingal does stand out tho). AS NNNN said he scored a lot in his third season but by then I think he was starting up-front every game. Before that he played in a few positions. I remember him even playing at RB a couple of times.

I have to say Im surprised he has done as well as he has, I always thought that his biggest downfall as a striker would be his 'goals to chances ratio'. He always seemed to need 3 or 4 chances for every goal he got.

Best of luck to him, talked to him before and he seemed a sound lad.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:43am
Doyler didnt score tonight in their cup replay but by all accounts, he drew some great saves from the S****horpe keeper. Looks like there was a big Irish connection on the park tonight, with Doyler, Ryan and O`Shea for Chesterfield and Paddy Madden, (ex-Bohs), Niall Canavan, (Leeds-born, with Irish connections) and the Waterford player, Eddie Nolan, all playing for Scunnie.

Chesterfield have a really tough 4th round ahead, away to Derby. I`m sure Paul Cook must be itching to have a crack at outsmarting Steve Mc Laren on the tactical front

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 11:12pm
Great to see the 3 Irish lads on the scoresheet this week. Doyler got 2 and O`Shea got the other on Tues night. Today it was Doyler and Jimmy Ryan and it shows the spirit in the Chesterfield team as they were 2-0 down. I notice the ex-Sligo player Boco wasnt in the squad, unless he was let go during the Jan window?

Chesterfield are in a play-off position and fair dues to Paul Cook and the Sligo Academy of Managers:) But that`s one very tight league, with 4 points seperating 5th to 14th. Goes to show that you can never write off how good a player can become and Doyler is like the poster boy for late developers. He`s now on 21 league goals and 24 in all competitions, and we`re only at the end of Jan!  

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 1:18am

Great to see the 3 Irish lads on the scoresheet this week. Doyler got 2 and O`Shea got the other on Tues night. Today it was Doyler and Jimmy Ryan and it shows the spirit in the Chesterfield team as they were 2-0 down. I notice the ex-Sligo player Boco wasnt in the squad, unless he was let go during the Jan window?

Chesterfield are in a play-off position and fair dues to Paul Cook and the Sligo Academy of Managers:) But that`s one very tight league, with 4 points seperating 5th to 14th. Goes to show that you can never write off how good a player can become and Doyler is like the poster boy for late developers. He`s now on 21 league goals and 24 in all competitions, and we`re only at the end of Jan!  

Boco moved to India recently, playing for a club there.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 6:17pm
http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/article/doyle-deal-agreed-2243569.aspx

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 9:12pm
Good move for Doyle. Wonder will Chesterfield stay with the leaders now. Maybe O'Shea will step up to the task. Better still Cook might get a move to the Championship.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 12:40am
Tbh I was disappointed with the move and thought it was bad business on the part of Chesterfield. I know they have debt issues and the chairman said tonight that a chunk of the transfer fee would go towards paying off some of that debt.

But if Doyler had stayed till May his goal tally would`ve been huge, at the rate he`s scoring. Assombalonga was the top scorer in League 1 last season with Peterboro and he was signed by Forest for £5 million. Cardiff are getting Doyler for around £1.5 million.

Also, Cardiff are struggling lately with (I think) 6 defeats in their last 8 league games. Chesterfield are on the rise and with Doyler`s goals, they might have ended up in the Championship next season with Cardiff.

But hey I wish him well and he`ll treble his wages for starters, along with the signing-on fee. I hope Russell Slade starts him at Cardiff and has the same influence and belief in him as Paul Cook.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:39am
As i have stated elsewhere on here, it is very difficult to correlate transfer fees. For example in this case Peterborough didn't need to sell, the Spirites did, nor does it take into account how badly either club wanted either player or wage demands etc.
Having said all that, even a trivial comparison is foolish at this stage. Assombalonga's record for Forest is better than one in two despite regularly being played out of position. I saw him play for the Posh and he was an absolute beast and the sort of player Celtic should be signing.
Doyle has had a great half season and is full of confidence and hope he keeps it up. It is a gamble by Cardiff who appear to be in a bit of disarray. To contrast, when Doyle was linked with Celtic, I felt like crying

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 12:44am
Agreed "pre Madonna". I often shake my head in disbelief at valuations in the transfer market. You saw Assombalonga play for Posh, I didnt. He must`ve been fairly awesome if Forest gave £5 million for him. And here`s what puzzles me: in the previous 2012/2013 season, the ex-Bohs player Madden was top scorer in League 1 with Yeovil, yet there was no big scramble to sign him and I dont think he even featured in Yeovil`s squad in the Championship.

Chesterfield are clearly under the financial cosh but could they not have hung in there for another few months till May? At the rate Doyler was scoring, who`s to say that his goal tally wouldnt break a League 1 record and his valuation would soar? After all, WBA, Sheff Utd and Preston were all tracking him and Chesterfield could even have made back-to-back promotions. If the Spireites didnt get promoted at the end of this season, at least Doyler could be sold on for a lot more than the 850K his club got from Cardiff.

I hope it works out for him. He was in a comfort zone with Chesterfield, a fans favourite, surrounded by fellow Irish players like Ryan and O`Shea and his gaffer Paul Cook and Romauld Boco from his LOI days at Sligo. He`s going into a completely different environment at Cardiff and at least, at 26, he`ll be better equipped to handle the pressure.  

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 1:54am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As i have stated elsewhere on here, it is very difficult to correlate transfer fees. For example in this case Peterborough didn't need to sell, the Spirites did, nor does it take into account how badly either club wanted either player or wage demands etc.
Having said all that, even a trivial comparison is foolish at this stage. Assombalonga's record for Forest is better than one in two despite regularly being played out of position. I saw him play for the Posh and he was an absolute beast and the sort of player Celtic should be signing.
Doyle has had a great half season and is full of confidence and hope he keeps it up. It is a gamble by Cardiff who appear to be in a bit of disarray. To contrast, when Doyle was linked with Celtic, I felt like crying

Assombalonga had real raw potential at Posh, loved watching him as he was pure fearless. Last summer before Forest signed him, I was clamouring for Sunderland to sign him.

I have no idea if he would have been ready for the PL, but what he has in his locker are pace, directness and an eye for a goal. All the things we badly needed up top at SAFC, raging we didn't sign him. Worst thing could have happened was him not being ready and then loan him out.

Very different player to Doyle as we all know, but if Doyle can even be a 1 in 3 man at Championship level he will be doing well.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 12:10am
One of the lads at work was saying that as well "Green Devil". Assombalonga is big and strong, pacey and direct, and mad hungry for goals. He`s also got youth on his side as I think he`s only around 21 or 22. So that would`ve had a major bearing on his valuation in the transfer market.

Doyler is 26 and I suppose the conventional thinking in the boardrooms asked the same question: why hasnt he proven himself before this? To which I`d reply, what`s wrong with a late developer? The same could be said of another ex-LOI player, Paddy Madden, whose goals for Yeovil in the 2012-2013 season got them up to the Championship.

And yet there was no big scramble for Madden`s signature while he ended up at S****horpe, after being top scorer in League 1. Talk about ageism! It seems that players who are making a mark in Leagues 1 and 2, unless they`re under 23, are being completely overlooked by the bigger clubs. I hope Doyler can prove this conventional thinking wrong while at Cardiff.   

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 11:39pm
Doyler`s gone but Chesterfield are still winning. Cook recently signed a lad called Caolan Lavery who played underage for Northern Ireland and scored the winning goal yesterday at Notts County, on his debut. They`re now firmly in the play-off positions lying 5th and I hope Cook can keep them there till May.

"smart man" - you were right about Jay O`Shea. With the spotlight off Doyler the other players now have a chance to shine. By all accounts O`Shea played a blinder yesterday and was man of the match. As for Doyler, he "looked bright" upfront for Cardiff on his debut, according to a match report. But Cardiff are woeful right now so it must be a fairly toxic dressing room after the buzz at Chesterfield.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 8:33pm
That Paul Cook is a smart operator. He brought in a Northern Irish lad, Caolan Lavery, on loan from Sheff Wed and he`s already taken up where Doyler left off. Lavery seems to be scoring in every game and got the winner last night at MK Dons.

Even if Cook doesnt get them up this season, I`d say there`ll be a few bigger clubs looking for his signature. He`s working off morsels at Chesterfield and doing a great job.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 12:21am
Chesterfield were losing 2-0 yesterday at Yeovil till Paul Cook sent on the ex Bray player Jay O`Shea after half time. The Spireites won 3-2 and according to match reports, O`Shea scored 2 cracking goals. They`re in the play-offs for now and it`d be great to see an ex LOI manager guide them into the Championship.

That other ex Sligo manager, Ian Baraclough, is also doing really well at Motherwell. I dont really follow the SPL but because of Baraclough`s connection with Motherwell I`ve been keeping an eye on their results. Three wins and a draw in their last 5 games is well impressive.

Btw, wtf is going on with Sligo this season? I cant believe the start they`ve made to the league, with 2 points from a possible 18 in their opening 6 games?!

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 1:38pm
Two cracking goals by O'Shea

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:51pm
5 points ahead of Rochdale with only two games remaining, so it looks like Chesterfield will make the playoffs. That`s some achievement for Paul Cook and the Irish lads at the club.

Jay O`Shea and Jimmy Ryan have both been playing really well and my only regret is that Eoin Doyle didnt hang in there till the season finished. Doyler was on 17 goals back in the Jan window before moving to Cardiff and the current top scorer in League 1 is Preston`s Joe Garner on 22.

Doyler`s agent probably wanted to cash in while his client was hot and cash-strapped Chesterfield were glad of the funds. But if Doyler had stayed with the club, his goal tally would prob be now in the late 20`s and he`d be a far hotter prospect in the transfer market come the summer. He`d also have been a great help for the Spireites in the playoffs. Bad business all round... 

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:43am
Brian Carey started his football career with Greenwood FC in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togher" rel="nofollow - Togher . He later signed for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_City_F.C." rel="nofollow - Cork City  

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33148766&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=z_OMVZ73B4PR7QaQwa_gAw&ved=0CBQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGu7wjkiYYlIpPJ4p0_6mwnqpqmzw" rel="nofollow - BBC Sport - Brian Carey: Chesterfield appoint assistant to boss ...
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33148766

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net