Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions league 20/21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 60>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
Ajax out of the competition.

The draw is next Monday with 4 English teams in it.

Liverpool must be favs now.

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:53am
Mental to think four EPL clubs have overachieved like this, against all the odds. A great day for football.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Mental to think four EPL clubs have overachieved like this, against all the odds. A great day for football.

Just shows that good coaching and development at the underage level pays off. Most of the first team would be local lads.

Someday in the not too distant future I suspect UEFA will reward them with an extra place. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
I would expect half the EPL to qualify in the next decade, if we haven’t gone full superleague by then.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:07am
I’ve been hearing about European super leagues almost as long as I have Celtic and Rangers joining the English premier league
Over 20 years of that talk that it won’t be long now. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I’ve been hearing about European super leagues almost as long as I have Celtic and Rangers joining the English premier league
The reason there hasn’t been one is that UEFA keep bending over for the richest leagues.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Ajax out of the competition.

The draw is next Monday with 4 English teams in it.

Liverpool must be favs now.

Madness. If they hung on to their 4-1 lead in London they would have topped the group, even with the loss last night. A complete capitulation
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:20pm
Ajax will win the Europa league so it will work out for them 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:33pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The reason there hasn’t been one is that UEFA keep bending over for the richest leagues.

Really?

Why would the "richest leagues" each want to lose 3 or 4 of their biggest/best teams to a European Superleague?

And why would their respective domestic Associations want it either?

Or UEFA, whose authority comes from their 55 Member Associations?

The reality is that a number of "big" clubs who dominate the European Clubs Association are behind the Superleague. Led by Agnelli at Juve, these are either clubs in big leagues who dominate their domestic football (eg Juve, Bayern, PSG, Barca, Real), or formerly big clubs who are stuck in a minor league (eg Ajax, Benfica, Celtic, Anderlecht).

Criteria for admission would be less to do with their ability on the field, as their "status" (location, history and finances) off it. And there would be no promotion and relegation, at least to start off with.

So far, at least, it has been seen off by two things. First, UEFA revamped the CL to guarantee more games for the big clubs. Then when the middling clubs objected at being left out, they revamped the EL, inc increasing the prize money. And now when the small clubs are complaining that they are being left out, they're proposing to introduce a third tier competion. It's pretty blatant, but UEFA is between a rock (big clubs threatening to breakaway) and a hard place (55 Member Associations determined to prevent them breaking away).

And the second thing stopping them is....            .... wait for it.....         .... the English Premier League!
For having long since dominated their rival leagues financially, now they're dominating on the pitch (eg all 4 Euro finalists last season). So why would they share/dilute that dominance in a European league, esp since there is no guarantee fans wouldn't get bored by watching the same 20 or 24 teams all the time?

Plus there is one specific factor mitigating against English clubs' support. Agnelli proposed that these European Superleague games would have to be played at w/e's, with domestic games relegated to midweek. That is not acceptable to English PL clubs, since they need their w/e's for their own domestic games in big stadia, before sell-out crowds paying sky-high prices, which overall package means they can sell the lucrative broadcast rights to just about every other country in the world.

Doesn't work the same midweek.

Edited by Territorial - 11 Dec 2019 at 3:41pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:46pm
I can guarantee no one is going to read that Terri.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:53pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

If only I were a cartoonist, I could maybe draw it in wee pictures. You know, make it easier for all the Sun readers out there.

Or any passing goldfish. LOL

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 3:56pm

I try not to read any of his since I stopped self harming.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:53pm

Yes you did - it's the oldest lie of the internet that when faced with a reply that they don't like, or can't reply to, people dig out the old "I stopped reading at..." claim, or somesuch.

In your case, I'll assume it's the latter - you were exposed as talking uniformed crap.

Edited by Territorial - 11 Dec 2019 at 5:53pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:58pm
Are Hans and Terrance twins ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Yes you did - it's the oldest lie of the internet that when faced with a reply that they don't like, or can't reply to, people dig out the old "I stopped reading at..." claim, or somesuch.

In your case, I'll assume it's the latter - you were exposed as talking uniformed crap.
Try is the key word. Try. As I have said, your ‘style’ is beyond grating. What kind of uniform?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:21pm

Try is the key word. Try. As I have said, your ‘style’ is beyond grating. What kind of uniform?
So still no reply of any substance?

Thought not.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:27pm

So still no reply of any substance?

Thought not.

Still haven’t read it. The longer your post the shorter my will to live. I’m full sure there was a few threads I was waiting on replies for before, including some bizarre assumptions based on my background. 
I come on here to enjoy myself, not to read your uniformed crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 60>
  Share Topic