Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boring boring FA Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 47>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:57am
No replays in 20/21 ..... 

The league cup goes ahead with the first few round in sept.

Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Final being played on same weekend as MD37 of the EPL.

I know the season has to be compressed somewhat this time due to the late start (and to be finished in time for the rescheduled Euros) but I hope this will be a one-off and not another diminishing of the FA Cup's status.  FA Cup final should have the day to itself after the league has finished.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Final being played on same weekend as MD37 of the EPL.

I know the season has to be compressed somewhat this time due to the late start (and to be finished in time for the rescheduled Euros) but I hope this will be a one-off and not another diminishing of the FA Cup's status.  FA Cup final should have the day to itself after the league has finished.
Back in the glory days of the FA Cup the league used to regularly finish after the FA Cup final

Leeds had to play the league decider at Molineux the Monday night after the 1972 FA Cup final, Liverpool played Arsenal at Highbury the same night and could have won the league that night as well, in the end neither did what they needed to and Derby won it while sitting on a beach in Spain
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 10:29am
 That depressing time of year again  january is bad enough without then likes of Swindon v Man City.

Shooting fish in a barrel.  

The magic of the cup.  City will play their kiddies side and still win 4-0.

That being said. Football in general has turned into a very boring sport.  How many games do you watch now where you are engrossed in the action?  For me its only Ireland games.  99% of the time I have a game on as white noise and look up every now and then or when the commentator gets excited for a chance.

The football is more sophisticated but less exciting.  Was looking at some old Division 1 games there recently and it was far more end to end stuff that had the crowd excited.

Edited by Trap junior - 07 Jan 2022 at 10:50am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Do we have to watch a load of sh*te games like Chelsea reserves V Derby etc.. now all this weekend?Cry

Used to be good in the late 80's and early 90's but the FA cup has become a boring tournament of almost no importance.  The romance of the cup and all that bollox...Lower clubs going nuts when they knock out Aston Villa's U-16 team etc..

Your original 2014 post. Who knew this would actually happen with Liverpool playing the Villa kids last year!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:09am
Love the cupClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:25am

That depressing time of year again  january is bad enough without then likes of Swindon v Man City.

That being said. Football in general has turned into a very boring sport.  How many games do you watch now where you are engrossed in the action?  For me its only Ireland games.  99% of the time I have a game on as white noise and look up every now and then or when the commentator gets excited for a chance.

The football is more sophisticated but less exciting.  Was looking at some old Division 1 games there recently and it was far more end to end stuff that had the crowd excited.

Agree with this.

Ireland games are the only wans that get my juices flowing tbh but that's more of an unconditional love thing. 

I think many our age go through a falling out of love with English football. Seen it in my own aul boy. We just get crankier and take more issue with the modern game. He went through similar in the noughties (which in my opinion were peak EPL years). Regardless of generation, it's just history repeating itself. 

Edited by McG - 07 Jan 2022 at 11:26am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:41am
We all know that the League Cup and FA Cups are not a draw anymore have to say the Europa Cup is heading into the same class for me .
Quite happy to watch only 3 sides who i follow , now will watch something that is free to air on the box otherwise never bother .
 Too much football has killed it .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Agree with this.

Ireland games are the only wans that get my juices flowing tbh but that's more of an unconditional love thing. 

I think many our age go through a falling out of love with English football. Seen it in my own aul boy. We just get crankier and take more issue with the modern game. He went through similar in the noughties (which in my opinion were peak EPL years). Regardless of generation, it's just history repeating itself. 

'Possibly so'

Kenny Cunningham says Ireland should forget about Grealish... and BOD agrees

Mid life crisis must be hitting.  The youth of today have no respect.

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:51am

Was the Chelsea v Liverpool match boring? One of the best games ive seen and it was only on a couple of days ago.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Was the Chelsea v Liverpool match boring? One of the best games ive seen and it was only on a couple of days ago.

Was it?

I had it on.  White noise again.  1st half was ok but barely looked up for the 2nd half. 

The last games non EIRE where I was glued to were the CL semis in 2019 or the odd Euro 2020 game

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Agree with this.

You need to get yourself down to Dalier next season Clap
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 12:36pm
spurs v Liverpool was a great game recently as was Chelsea V Liverpool.  

When you don’t have skin in the game it’s hard to really enjoy a game nowadays on TV.  

Ireland games are good because we are interested not because of the quality.  The quality has never been higher in England but when you get older most people grow out of actually caring about a load of 20 something millionaires in shorts. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

When you don’t have skin in the game it’s hard to really enjoy a game nowadays on TV.  

Ireland games are good because we are interested not because of the quality.  The quality has never been higher in England but when you get older most people grow out of actually caring about a load of 20 something millionaires in shorts. 

Yes when the result doesn't mean anyhing then it becomes boring.  Like horse racing.  An incredibly boring sport unless you have a bet on it.

Maybe I am nostalgic but footballers are no longer ordinary lads on a good wage but on crazy money.  They are not relatable anymore.
They seem more immature, like spoilt kids, care less about their craft and just seem unlikeable.

The football is totally different.  Was more exciting imo back in the day. Keepers with the kick out and then it could bounce around anywhere leading to mayhem at the back.  Poorer pitches too. 

I am Victor Meldrew

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 1:23pm
I think the fact here is if you don't follow a team playing you can't get into the game much. 

I'm sure someone who wasn't from Ireland would find Ireland drawing 0-0 with Bulgaria quite hard to watch, whereas some on here would be on the edge of their seat

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Jan 2022 at 1:23pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Boy you have changed your tune as you used to love men in shorts Hug
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 1:34pm
Yeah there's been a few crackers this past few months, it's just so much football on TV that leaves 90% of it being crap.

Liverpool/Chelsea, Liverpool/Spurs and Liverpool/West Ham have all been very entertaining
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think the fact here is if you don't follow a team playing you can't get into the game much. 

I'm sure someone who wasn't from Ireland would find Ireland drawing 0-0 with Bulgaria quite hard to watch, whereas some on here would be on the edge of their seat

I would disagree with the first point, I much enjoy watching other teams over United. The Liverpool v Chelsea game was great entertainment and I have a dislike for both sides! 

The FA cup is absolutely terrible, wouldn’t watch these earlier rounds even if you paid me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 47>
  Share Topic