You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boozers closing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:16pm
This got me thinking that nightclubs have really disappeared from suburbs. All seem to be in the city now.

Tallaght used to have 3 in the Playhouse, Level 4 and cocos, all gone. 
Rathmines, Tramco/ Savanagh
Ranelagh,
Dundrum, Parker Browns
Churchtown, McGowens
Stillorgan, Bondi
Leopardstown, Club 92

Was always handy not having to go into town all the time. Not like I'm missing out these days as I rarely even go to the pub these days but the youth are really missing out. 
The dark side.. And the light
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm

All the good nightclubs are gone out of town also. District8, Hangar and the Shaw all closed down and replaced by Hotels/ Student accommodation. Brilliant
El Puto Amo
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

This got me thinking that nightclubs have really disappeared from suburbs. All seem to be in the city now.

Ranelagh,
Dundrum, Parker Browns
Churchtown, McGowens
Stillorgan, Bondi
Leopardstown, Club 92

Was always handy not having to go into town all the time. Not like I'm missing out these days as I rarely even go to the pub these days but the youth are really missing out. 

Think it's a sign of the changing habits of youth. 
Don't seem as interested in that as much now as we all were. 
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:26pm
A lot of good ones in town are gone too. Tripod/ crawdaddy was a good venue. Spy on south William.
Most clubs seem to be generic pop rubbish, but there used to be venues that would actually play different genres of music.  
The dark side.. And the light
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm

A lot of good ones in town are gone too. Tripod/ crawdaddy was a good venue. Spy on south William.
Most clubs seem to be generic pop rubbish, but there used to be venues that would actually play different genres of music.  

Moving more to what it's like over here in the UK unfortunately. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:02pm

Ranelagh,
Dundrum, Parker Browns
Churchtown, McGowens
Stillorgan, Bondi
Leopardstown, Club 92

The Blue Banana out in Clondalkin was a rough spot back in the day! 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 05 Aug 2020 at 7:03pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:16pm
Nightclubs where in decline before this all started anyway. The ones I visited majority are closed now Dandelion, Palace, Alchemy, Sin (Kip thank god) Wrights, Hangar (Andrews Lane Theatre) Laffettyes to name a few. Harcourt Street hasn't changed much but I even read the Jacksons where thinking of selling up the end of Coppers would be the end of the rest. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Nightclubs where in decline before this all started anyway. The ones I visited majority are closed now Dandelion, Palace, Alchemy, Sin (Kip thank god) Wrights, Hangar (Andrews Lane Theatre) Laffettyes to name a few. Harcourt Street hasn't changed much but I even read the Jacksons where thinking of selling up the end of Coppers would be the end of the rest. 

That whole sector has lost out to late bars. 

Im fairness they milked it with cover charges and sh*te drink for years. 

Sorry to see the Sackville go. Hopefully the confession box survives
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:23pm
Dawson lounge must be f**ked?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Dawson lounge must be f**ked?

You'd think so but maybe they own the premises so at least no rent? 

Also pretty sure it was only open 3 or 4 days a week and max 3-4 staff. 

Love that pub but when someone lets one rip its a dutch oven.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

The Sackville Lounge just often O'Connell Street closed
If things get back to something approaching pre-March 2020 normal at some point over the next year or three, I'd say there's a good chance some of these places could yet re-open

The Sackville would definitely be in that category

It had already closed in 2017 and re-opened last year

It's a classic Dublin drinking pub for which there will always be a demand

A good few other pubs closed and later re-opened during the recession years
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:46am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

You'd be doing well to find a place where the kitchen is still open after 9pm.

Where? In Dublin all restaurants will serve after 9.

Indeed. The vast majority of places do last food orders at 9:30pm. There are some that push it to 10pm but they are rarer. Still, most sit-down, plated-meal restaurants (i.e. not fast food) will take the last food orders at 9:30pm. Anywhere I worked it was last main-course orders by 9:30pm.

These restrictions, however, shouldn't really change that, once main courses are ordered by half nine. Plenty of places open at six and do early bird menus that require tables be vacated by half seven; they're well used to getting people in, served and out in 90 minutes.

Plus there won't be many showing up at 9:30pm, knowing they close at 11pm.

I’m not sure if you have been out in a Friday or Saturday lately but anyone that would go to Dublin City from the suburbs (Dublin is literally a ghost town from Sunday at 6 pm until Saturday at midday barring a couple of shopping streets) to go for a meal where you know you will be f**ked out after a couple of hours at 9 Would be mad. It effectively means your last booking where people can get comfortable in a place is half 8. There is no time rule for restaurants (not to mention the one for pubs is a joke) as long as social distancing is adhered to and in most cases it would make sense that a group would get an extra bottle of wine or whatever. Nobody is going to get rowdy in a restaurant. It’s simply robbing the sector from an extra sitting a night. 

Gone are the days when people race into restaurants and out to a bar to finish off the night because it’s not an option! The night ends in the restaurant and a lot more people have f**k all incentive to do so at this rate. 

This is a real blow to Dublin restaurants 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:20am

Indeed. The vast majority of places do last food orders at 9:30pm. There are some that push it to 10pm but they are rarer. Still, most sit-down, plated-meal restaurants (i.e. not fast food) will take the last food orders at 9:30pm. Anywhere I worked it was last main-course orders by 9:30pm.

These restrictions, however, shouldn't really change that, once main courses are ordered by half nine. Plenty of places open at six and do early bird menus that require tables be vacated by half seven; they're well used to getting people in, served and out in 90 minutes.

I’m not sure if you have been out in a Friday or Saturday lately but anyone that would go to Dublin City from the suburbs (Dublin is literally a ghost town from Sunday at 6 pm until Saturday at midday barring a couple of shopping streets) to go for a meal where you know you will be f**ked out after a couple of hours at 9 Would be mad. It effectively means your last booking where people can get comfortable in a place is half 8. There is no time rule for restaurants (not to mention the one for pubs is a joke) as long as social distancing is adhered to and in most cases it would make sense that a group would get an extra bottle of wine or whatever. Nobody is going to get rowdy in a restaurant. It’s simply robbing the sector from an extra sitting a night. 

Gone are the days when people race into restaurants and out to a bar to finish off the night because it’s not an option! The night ends in the restaurant and a lot more people have f**k all incentive to do so at this rate. 

Yes there is, the 1:45 rule is for restaurants. Pubs aren't meant to be open now.

What we're getting is Pubs pretending to be Restaurants to bend the rules, and then complaining they can't act like Pubs. If they want to act like Pubs, then the rule for Pubs is to close
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:46am

i take it you're missing the late night emails to Sir Joseph, Pipkin? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:05pm
Raheny Inn on it's last legs at the moment.

They've spent a lot of money on the place, and opened up a great sports bar upstairs with new snooker\pool tables etc..

Their business model was based around live music 7 nights a week.

Very lively place.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:07pm

Ranelagh,
Dundrum, Parker Browns
Churchtown, McGowens
Stillorgan, Bondi
Leopardstown, Club 92

Don't forget Club Sarah in Rathfarnham, albeit that and the The Sarah Curran down stairs are closed for many years now. Rathfarnham Village doesn't even have a chipper anymore Cry
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Raheny Inn on it's last legs at the moment.

They've spent a lot of money on the place, and opened up a great sports bar upstairs with new snooker\pool tables etc..

Their business model was based around live music 7 nights a week.

Very lively place.

Whats to stop them partnering up with the chipper?

I am confused about the rules around this. Does that not suffice?

It seems plenty of pubs have sidled up with a food place next door or whatever? 
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Ranelagh,
Dundrum, Parker Browns
Churchtown, McGowens
Stillorgan, Bondi
Leopardstown, Club 92

Don't forget Club Sarah in Rathfarnham, albeit that and the The Sarah Curran down stairs are closed for many years now. Rathfarnham Village doesn't even have a chipper anymore Cry

Barcode
The Blacker Ouch
K2
Charlies
Tamangoes (still there.... just)
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
  Share Topic