You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 133>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:41am
My insurance renewal is due in a few weeks. Got a call from my broker (who I've been with 3 years) on Friday saying that my car has been flagged by a good few insurance companies as being written off in the UK and they won't give me a quote.

My car is 2007 and I bought it in UK in 2011 and there was a bit of damage on the wing which cost a couple of hundred to fix when I got home. It's never been a problem before and it's passed NCT and no problems with insurance. Anyone know why this has suddenly become a problem this year or heard of similar stories?

The broker suggested an option would be to get an engineer's report but said it'd cost a few hundred. They're going back to see if they can find another reasonable quote.

I didn't want to change the car but spent yesterday having a look to see what's out there but being a bit sceptical about buying a car which may have been imported and not knowing much about it. Any recommended reasonable dealers otherwise?

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

My insurance renewal is due in a few weeks. Got a call from my broker (who I've been with 3 years) on Friday saying that my car has been flagged by a good few insurance companies as being written off in the UK and they won't give me a quote.

My car is 2007 and I bought it in UK in 2011 and there was a bit of damage on the wing which cost a couple of hundred to fix when I got home. It's never been a problem before and it's passed NCT and no problems with insurance. Anyone know why this has suddenly become a problem this year or heard of similar stories?

The broker suggested an option would be to get an engineer's report but said it'd cost a few hundred. They're going back to see if they can find another reasonable quote.

I didn't want to change the car but spent yesterday having a look to see what's out there but being a bit sceptical about buying a car which may have been imported and not knowing much about it. Any recommended reasonable dealers otherwise?

The write off grading system in the UK changed last year, I don’t know If cars grading were changed retrospectively but this would be the only obvious thing I can think of. 
When it comes to insurance, a valid NCT means little to nothing. If they don’t want to insure the car they won’t 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:31am
What category was the write off?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

If you are looking at changing, any reputable dealer will provide a Cartell or similar report with an imported car to say that it hasn't been written off or has no outstanding finance on it, so wouldn't worry too much there. 

As for car insurance, they are the greatest scam artists operating in this country. In recent years, they are reluctant to insure cars over 10 years old, so giving deliberately uncompetitive quotes is one of their tricks to ensure they don't have to. 

As regards the writeoff, as others have said, it depends on the category. If it's serious enough, you would be better off getting rid anyway, as the car may not be safe in the event of a crash. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:27pm
I didn't ask about category of writeoff at the time as didn't know there was such a thing. As I've had the car nearly 9 years didn't expect any problems all of a sudden.

Edited by CaroG - 20 Oct 2019 at 3:28pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:04am
Scuffed the back wheel arch this morn Cry

Thankfully no body work damage. Just a light scuff with a littler deeper in areas. Overall about 6-7 inches in length - think typical scratch.

Charcoal grey A3. Any tips? Places to go? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

**** View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Thankfully no body work damage. Just a light scuff with a littler deeper in areas. Overall about 6-7 inches in length - think typical scratch.

Sell it to a fellow hair dresser
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:13am

https://www.wheelwizards.ie/

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by **** **** wrote:

LOL

Wheel arch or wheel itself? 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOL

Wheel arch 
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:17am

Ah hello you absolute ****. I hope PTV bates the sh*te out of you and ties you up with his wife beater. 

Edited by McG - 05 Nov 2019 at 9:17am
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:38am

LOL

Wheel arch 
And what did you hit? 
If it was a painted surface then a lot of the time it’ll be just transfer of paint on to your car. 
If that’s the case a good compound polish will get it out. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:42am

LOL

Wheel arch 
And what did you hit? 
If it was a painted surface then a lot of the time it’ll be just transfer of paint on to your car. 

Thanks Vin but it was a pillar. Ouch
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:07am

LOL

Wheel arch 
And what did you hit? 

Thanks Vin but it was a pillar. Ouch

Would that be a junkie or some pill popping North sider ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
Generally speaking, does anyone know how much a second hand gearbox can be picked up for?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Generally speaking, does anyone know how much a second hand gearbox can be picked up for?

Dunno but you have Traynors breakers yard in Omagh who if you email them will get back to you
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Dunno but you have Traynors breakers yard in Omagh who if you email them will get back to you

Yip they have one beside work here in Mallusk as well, their online search seems to be in and around the £250 mark Pinch
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm
Kin ell.   I forked out about 70 quid for door locking mechanisms recently from another breakers yard that didn't even work when they were put in. Volvo would charge a fortune for them new.  Such a pain int he hoop.  Mind you I only use the Volvo for runs to the shops.  My main car is a Rolls Royce.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 133>
  Share Topic