You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 134>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Missus was driving car and cut out. She couldn't get the car started. I went around and put it into gear and started it but the gear stick is all wonky. It goes into gear but not always and maybe not the right one.

Any idea? 
She also confirmed that she may have got angry and was forceful with the gear stick trying to get it to work
Cutting out/ not starting & damaging the gear stick/linkage sounds like 2 problems to be honest
What car is it? 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Missus was driving car and cut out. She couldn't get the car started. I went around and put it into gear and started it but the gear stick is all wonky. It goes into gear but not always and maybe not the right one.

Any idea? 
She also confirmed that she may have got angry and was forceful with the gear stick trying to get it to work
Cutting out/ not starting & damaging the gear stick/linkage sounds like 2 problems to be honest
What car is it? 

192 Qashqai.  It's under warranty and towing warranty too. Thinking to just ring in the morning and say car's not moving from driveway

Edited by t_rAndy - 08 Apr 2022 at 9:13pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:20pm

Any idea? 
What car is it? 

192 Qashqai.  It's under warranty and towing warranty too. Thinking to just ring in the morning and say car's not moving from driveway
Ah yeah 100%, don’t tell them about the missus LOL
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Any idea? 

Jaysis your Mickey must be like a joystick after a game of Track and field for the Commodore 64 
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 10:03pm

Any idea? 
What car is it? 

Ok good shout yeah ill act like I don't know what happened 
Millwallrob View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millwallrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 12:28pm
clutch could be on its way out 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 2:26pm
Not sure of someone can confirm this or not. I bought a new car recently and they come without spare wheel now mostly these days. Garage supplied a space saver. The wheels on the car are 19 inch but looking at the space saver i just noticed its a 20 inch. That should still fit right? I know smaller space savers can be used. I could physically test it out but does anyone know for sure? 

Edited by doherty - 18 Apr 2022 at 2:27pm
I love beer gardens
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 2:31pm
Octavia VRS diesel.

A number of times the indicator for the rear wheel loss of type pressure goes off - when I check it, it's fine, so I just reset it.  This has happened about 5 times.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 3:17pm

Any idea? 
What car is it? 

Ok good shout yeah ill act like I don't know what happened 

It was actually something very simple in the end. Roadside came out and had a look and said to drive it to the garage.  Said it will still go into gear but nothing he could fix. Drove it to garage, he just jumped into the front seat, got in underneath the gear stick and said "here's the problem" clicked something back in and that was that. So something had clipped out (or rather had been jarred out).
Surprised roadside didn't pick it up
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Octavia VRS diesel.

A number of times the indicator for the rear wheel loss of type pressure goes off - when I check it, it's fine, so I just reset it.  This has happened about 5 times.

You checking by eye or have a PSI gauge? My VRS has the 19" which take 42 PSI and I know the indicator doesn't come on until a good bit of that is gone, probably down to the mid 20's.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Not sure of someone can confirm this or not. I bought a new car recently and they come without spare wheel now mostly these days. Garage supplied a space saver. The wheels on the car are 19 inch but looking at the space saver i just noticed its a 20 inch. That should still fit right? I know smaller space savers can be used. I could physically test it out but does anyone know for sure? 
Yes it’ll fit, it’s common enough that your space saver wheel be slightly different size to what’s on the car. The tyre is also different so that’ll balance it out 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Octavia VRS diesel.

You checking by eye or have a PSI gauge? My VRS has the 19" which take 42 PSI and I know the indicator doesn't come on until a good bit of that is gone, probably down to the mid 20's.
Yeah exactly, the days of 30psi across all makes n models are long gone. 
That said tyre pressure sensors can be an absolute pain in the hole, and pricey to fix 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Yes it’ll fit, it’s common enough that your space saver wheel be slightly different size to what’s on the car. The tyre is also different so that’ll balance it out 

Cheers hopefully i wont have to test it out anyway LOL
I love beer gardens
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 9:42pm
Is changing tje battery on a Hybrid just a case of disconnect the terminals and swap it out and reconnect or is there anything else required given the nature of hybrids?

Actually as an edit, is a multimeter suitable to test the battery and ensure it is goosed and not another issue entirely?

Edited by Sham157 - 02 May 2022 at 9:44pm
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Is changing tje battery on a Hybrid just a case of disconnect the terminals and swap it out and reconnect or is there anything else required given the nature of hybrids?

Actually as an edit, is a multimeter suitable to test the battery and ensure it is goosed and not another issue entirely?

Nope, it isn’t, presuming you’re talking about the battery which provides motive power.  

At least not on a Toyota. There is a bank of smaller batteries, all connected. 

It sounds like a tough job. My advice to you is to go to www.intaxi.org which is an Irish taxi driver’s website and those guys have changed battery cells on a Prius and documented it. 

One thing I’d say is to think about how far a Prius’ battery can take it, how much petrol that would replace and what would happen if you were to set that petrol on fire beside you. In other words, there is a lot of stored energy in those batteries, like in a few petrol bombs, and they are lethal if you do the wrong things with them. 

Edited by inlikeflynn - 03 May 2022 at 6:12pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:18pm
Cheers, its the normal 12v battery under the bonnet on about
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:30am
Any advice on getting 3 heavy key scratches off the bonnet? - the cuts are deep and I used T-Cut but to no affect, although I am not sure I buffed it enough.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:45am

Any advice on getting 3 heavy key scratches off the bonnet? - the cuts are deep and I used T-Cut but to no affect, although I am not sure I buffed it enough.

If you can feel it with your nail then you aren't getting them off. You can get scuffs off with cutting compound by removing a little bit of the lacquer top coat but if it's deeper than that (i.e. down to metal) then it happening unfortunately. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 134>
  Share Topic