You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthony Scully

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm
A senior cap somehow eluded his dad, Tony Scully, a tricky winger who played for numerous clubs including Man City, Crystal Palace and Stoke, though his best spell was probably at QPR. Tony Snr is still only 45, a former under-21and Ireland 'B' international whose career was ended by injury. No doubt he'd be delighted to see his son get a senior cap.
Sponsored Links

Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm
Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

Aye we should be choosing from the wealth of Premier League strikers we're ignoring Ermm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Aye we should be choosing from the wealth of Premier League strikers we're ignoring Ermm

Tbf I'm not too bothered at him not getting called up! He's not dissapearing he's still our prospect and I don't see a scenario where he's holding out for England at all! 

I do agree he deserves one next month but if he keeps banging them in he will get a Championship move next summer and it will take care of itself we won't ignore him forever if he keeps rising up the ranks!

I think there's every chance he ends up a Vardy Wilson Watkins Toney Murray type attacker that ends up progressing right the way up into a top flight footballer in time one that can score! He's just turned 22 so he's still quite young.
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm

[QUOTE=Los Aros]Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

[/QUOTE

Im not saying he shouldn't be called up but it shows where are squad is at. Azerbaijan have players playing European groups stages every year and we want english league 1 players to save us and people will want Kenny sacked if we dont beat them.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm

[QUOTE=Los Aros]Another English league 1 player, and people are surprised we aren't beating teams like Azerbaijan Confused

[/QUOTE

Im not saying he shouldn't be called up but it shows where are squad is at. Azerbaijan have players playing European groups stages every year and we want english league 1 players to save us and people will want Kenny sacked if we dont beat them.
No but when he is leaving players behind that might help our plight, and bringing guys like Curtis and Horgan before them people are right to wonder why
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:03pm
I think on the numbers alone, he deserves a call up, if only to reward him for his progress. I'm not sure I'd start him though, even vs Qatar, as lads like Idah and Connolly might need minutes in that game given their lack of minutes at club level. Maybe a spin off the bench. The friendlies in March look like a good time to have a proper look.

I also dont think it's as cut and dried as some are making out. I'd be going into the next round of games looking to play a 5-2-3 with Connolly and Robinson to the left and right of Idah respectively. After those 3 there's James Collins, Parrott, Shane Long and potentially Obafemi. Throw in lads like Hogan, Maguire, Horgan, Curtis and Ogbene (or Knight, Mc Grath and even Robbie Brady if he can get some football somewhere if Kenny veers more towards a 5-3-2. As I said, I'd give him a call up just to reward his recent exploits, but I dont see him starting any of the games remaining in this campaign.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A senior cap somehow eluded his dad, Tony Scully, a tricky winger who played for numerous clubs including Man City, Crystal Palace and Stoke, though his best spell was probably at QPR. Tony Snr is still only 45, a former under-21and Ireland 'B' international whose career was ended by injury. No doubt he'd be delighted to see his son get a senior cap.

Nine goals as winger in nearly 130 league matches. 5 of which came in a spell lete in his career after returning from non league. Only once played more than ten games in a year at Division 1 level. If he was playing now he wouldn't get near the team let alone when we had a good teamConfused
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If scully keeps this form up then I'm sure he will make it into the next squad he probably just didn't make the cut this time because of the other options available versus some general issue that Kenny has with him

Other options being available can't be an excuse when Ronan Curtis was called up to the squad. Man hasn't scored or assisted yet in his seven games this season.

Someone needs to press him on it if he's excluded again when Curtis is getting in ahead of him, and Shane Long who'll be 36 before the next qualifiers begin. Even Michael Duffy was on stand by for this squad.

I don't really rate Curtis too highly either but Curtis has been in the squad already so knows the set up. Managers like to generally build on what have and not be harsh and drop someone easily for another player unless that other player is clearly in better form. It's easy for us to sit here and say "I think player A is better than player B so Player A should be in the squad.  But Kenny also has to deal with the emotional side and what type of impact it can have on the squad.  Scully I'm sure if he keeps it up, he will get in. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm
The timing to select scully has only.come about and is not some conspiracy from Kenny.

In league one last season he was in the Lincoln squad 46 times (so all games.)

He played 90mins 12 times only in the 46 games and started less than half the games (22 times). So of the 22 starts he finished about half of them.

He was brought on as a sub 18 times and remained on the bench 6 times.

When we compare that to this season so far he has played 6 games in the league, started in all of them and played 90mins 5 of the 6 games. (Playing 75mins in the only games he was subbed off)

So he's only earning his place this season and Kenny will be very aware of his progress
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:59pm
Why was this lad shipped out of West Ham when scoring after sticking with him through the injury, and shipped down two divisions at that ?   Why did Appleton his club manager make a strange comment or two about him last year about playing the full 90 & playing all aspects of the game  ( Google it )  ?   Why was he hauled off during their biggest game of the season, the play off semi and not picked for final despite being available  ?  After losing the play off Lincoln lost Tayo & Grant to the division above but not Scully, again there is a question there, as he's a goals man & they're in demand always. 

Anyone wetting themselves with giddiness or indignation might want to join those dots & think about what they might be saying about this young chappie and why Kenny isn't rushing to cap him thus far. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Why was this lad shipped out of West Ham when scoring after sticking with him through the injury, and shipped down two divisions at that ?   Why did Appleton his club manager make a strange comment or two about him last year about playing the full 90 & playing all aspects of the game  ( Google it )  ?   Why was he hauled off during their biggest game of the season, the play off semi and not picked for final despite being available  ?  After losing the play off Lincoln lost Tayo & Grant to the division above but not Scully, again there is a question there, as he's a goals man & they're in demand always. 

Anyone wetting themselves with giddiness or indignation might want to join those dots & think about what they might be saying about this young chappie and why Kenny isn't rushing to cap him thus far. 

As someone who isn't wetting themselves over him not getting capped yet il take care of these questions!

Like a lot of PL clubs young players realistically are pissing against the wind trying to breakthrough. Plenty footballers come up through the ranks this way at lower levels.

In the finish it seemed to me like an Appleton problem as much as a Scully one. He has no problem competing 90 minutes regularly this season. Maybe he has gotten fitter over the summer who knows. There were a few rumours of Cardiff sniffing around him. He was still there top goal contributer last season 26 I'm sure he got including 17 goals! 

That Lincoln were comprehensively out played in the final and had no shots on target. This would factually make not playing Scully an incorrect decision in the final when that's happening and your top goalscorer didn't start that's a question for the manager not Scully.

Them losing that is the best thing to ever happen to him as if they went up he'd probably only be a bit part player again. He's getting his chance to be the star man now and really build a reputation for himself. 

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Sep 2021 at 9:53pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:15am
If he continues the form, he's surely worth a place in the squad and it'll be strange that he's being left out. Especially as Ronan Curtis is selected.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:11am
Anthony is in the EFL TOTW after his heroics for Lincoln at the weekend (2 goals, 3 assists). 

Clap

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
2 of the more interesting Irish prospects playing against one another tonight in Scully and Ogbene. Can Scully keep his run going?
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:08pm
I suspected if he kept anything approaching his strike rate so far this season going he would start getting linked! Source questionable of course. They would hardly come in in January would they? https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-barnsley-middlesbrough-reading-and-huddersfield-interest-emerges-in-9-goal-efl-ace/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Sep 2021 at 12:09pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:10pm
Scores again
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
  Share Topic