Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amhran na Bhfiann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:36pm
Have to say it really bothers me too
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:38pm
The Italian national anthem is one of the best songs out there.
Ours is one of the most maudlin military marching songs out there. It's up there with the English, USA and German anthems as being awful music.

Wouldn't blame Coleman for staying quiet.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:41pm
It's a bug bear of mine that the players dont all belt it out in unison. Surely they could be taught it while in camp - not by way of edict, but as a bit of craic. I'm pretty sure the English born U21 captain Coventry was belting it out prior to the Italy game, which was encouraging.

I wouldnt worry about the fans, thats beyond anyone's control, but I do think the players should be encouraged to learn and sing the anthem! A fierce rendition can set the tone for the game ahead and it can silence the bores who drone on about the Granny rule players etc.
Idah Dream!
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:53pm
it actually dosent bother me too much. i actually don't know the words properly to it either. Its not our 1st language as opposed to most countries who speak their own language. how many on here know all the words and meaning i wonder?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

it actually dosent bother me too much. i actually don't know the words properly to it either. Its not our 1st language as opposed to most countries who speak their own language. how many on here know all the words and meaning i wonder?

Id imagine most know it word for word but would only know a loose translation.

I definitely think players should be encouraged to learn it and sing it but its not a huge ordeal and doesn't really bother me, but its a great representation as team when countries do belt it out like the Italians and even Luxembourg last night. Just comes across as very strong and passionate, a team that has a real togetherness.

But at the end of the day, its a football team and not X-Factor.

I'd imagine there's a lot of lads in there that just don't like publicly singing! I know I dont without a rake of pints LOL

Maybe it should be taught and encouraged from the beginning at u15s/16s/17s
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Doesn't really bother me either. No one should be forced to sing something if they don't want to. 

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:15pm
I don't know the words either, in either English or Irish.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Doesn't really bother me either. No one should be forced to sing something if they don't want to. 

But you'd force the vaccine on them wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
Look at the Spanish. None of those lads sing their anthem.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Disgraceful stuff altogether LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:24pm

LOLLOL
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

But you'd force the vaccine on them wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

Not too worried about other people in general.  
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:30pm

LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Probably couldn't tell you what a single word of it in English is and only know it in Irish as Gerry McLoughlin who was an Irish rugby international taught us for a few months and was the only Irish he taught us.

Which is still more Irish than the teacher he was filling in for taught us as he was Welsh so knew f**k all Irish.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm

LOL

Knew that was coming.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Watching the Italy u21's the other night signing their anthem with passion and pride.

Then watched our players, and most simply weren't bothered. This really pisses me off.

Great to see Bazunu and Ogbene singing it Clap

The only lads that sang it were the black lads in the team. Bazunu, Ogbene, Idah etc..fair play to them.

I'd wager the likes of Duffy, Kenny, Coleman and Young Doherty et al havent a breeze what the words are.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:29pm
SK wasn't signing the anthem last night, not sure if he ever does?
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:45pm
Matt Doherty only sings the Dutch one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic