Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=22736
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 1:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Amhran na Bhfiann
Posted By: The Boy Z
Subject: Amhran na Bhfiann
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:19am
Ive posted this several times on here before but the way the Garda Band or whoever plays in at the matches is crap.It sucks the life out of it.Its meant to be a rebel song but its played like a church hymn.Also it starts too early,people are still clapping the away anthem and miss the start of ours.Its also played too fast.

Again I will refer to the Germany away match,a little intro and then one of the best renditions of Amhran na Bhfiann Ive ever had.I dont know what can be done with this complaint but if any of the lads are meeting with the FAI before the Russia match its something I think should be addressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 -

Replies:
Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:23am
It's not rousing enough. If I was German for example, their anthem would make the hairs on my neck stand up.

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:38am
that was epic, deserved a better performance that night! but ye i'd agree with you, that's what i meant in another thread by saying they should get someone to sing along to the national anthem. the garda band make it sound like a fcukin xmas song

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Ive posted this several times on here before but the way the Garda Band or whoever plays in at the matches is crap.It sucks the life out of it.Its meant to be a rebel song but its played like a church hymn.Also it starts too early,people are still clapping the away anthem and miss the start of ours.Its also played too fast.

Again I will refer to the Germany away match,a little intro and then one of the best renditions of Amhran na Bhfiann Ive ever had.I dont know what can be done with this complaint but if any of the lads are meeting with the FAI before the Russia match its something I think should be addressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlmEPwF904 -

Another problem is, not enough people know the words to the fecking thing.Angry The amount of people who just stand there muttering it, and throwing out random words is ridiculous. If you dont, know the words, you should be turned away! Simple as!!

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: criostoir Óg
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Another problem is, not enough people know the words to the fecking thing.Angry The amount of people who just stand there muttering it, and throwing out random words is ridiculous. If you dont, know the words, you should be turned away! Simple as!!
ClapThumbs%20Up

Shin-na fee-in-na fall
A-taw fwee yal eg Erin
Bween daur slew
Harr teen du rawnig cooin
Fwaw vode veh sair
Shann-tier awr shinshir fawsta
Nee awg-fur fween teer-awn naw fween trawl
A nukt a hay-un sa varna vwail
Lay g'yan air gwale cunn bawsh no sale
Le gunna schrake, fay law vock na bill air
Shuh liv con-ig arawn naveen

-------------
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

ClapThumbs%20Up

Shin-na fee-in-na fall
A-taw fwee yal eg Erin
Bween daur slew
Harr teen du rawnig cooin
Fwaw vode veh sair
Shann-tier awr shinshir fawsta
Nee awg-fur fween teer-awn naw fween trawl
A nukt a hay-un sa varna vwail
Lay g'yan air gwale cunn bawsh no sale
Le gunna schrake, fay law vock na bill air
Shuh liv con-ig arawn naveen

looks like welsh now haha

-------------

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:52am
Not knowing the words is something I just cant accept.Even singing them phonetically as CO has posted will add to the atmosphere.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:05am
Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:28pm

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: GreenTribe
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

-------------
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted By: PaulMcGrath
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:07pm
Completely agree. National anthem way to fast and a bit of an intro would be good. Fair play to the Germans - still have a tape of the National Anthem when we played England in 88. Never mind the intro they played a whole verse before the main chorus.Clap

-------------
Ooh Aah Paul McGrath say ooh aah Pau McGrath

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:16pm

let's get wee daniel singin it with some swing band

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:41pm

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?

-------------

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:42pm
This is good .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJroF-1_5o - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJroF-1_5o

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:43pm
Get Slash to play it on the Axe

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:47pm

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?
Eh, well we're talking English now.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm

Well do you speak fluent Irish? I understand what you're saying but I dont think its that big of deal. As I say Irish is preferable but is there really any harm in people singing it in the language they use every day if they arent comfortable with Irish? 

Just as an aside I think everyone who is not fluent in Irish should know the English words because otherwise you are just saying a load of words that you dont understand

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Eh, well we're talking English now.

really? jesus, i thought i was speaking swahili. don't be stupid

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:00pm

Well do you speak fluent Irish? I understand what you're saying but I dont think its that big of deal. As I say Irish is preferable but is there really any harm in people singing it in the language they use every day if they arent comfortable with Irish? 

Just as an aside I think everyone who is not fluent in Irish should know the English words because otherwise you are just saying a load of words that you dont understand

you don't have to be fluent in irish to know the national anthem?? i can hold up a conversation but i'm not fluent. i wasn't even good in it at school but i liked learning it, just because it's part of our identity. i just think it's a bit insulting to sing it in english. if you know it then sing your heart out, but if you don't know it, then don't embarrass yourself by learning it in english. nobody else in this country in the stands would sing it in english. i learned it when i was 10. if a 10 year old can learn it, any one can!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:07pm
Of course you dont have to speak fluent Irish, thats not really what I was getting at. I agree every Irish person should know it in Irish but my mate just plain wont learn it in Irish. Personally I think its still preferable to know it in English than not know it all. I know where you are coming from but as I say something is better than nothing

Posted By: criostoir Óg
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:09pm
I understand what walls is saying and I would agree with him. Its one thing to the words to Amhrán na bhFiann, its another to know what it means. Also, it was written in English in the first place so you can't make it out to sound like the song is being barstardised

-------------
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

Gimp of the highest order, put his message in his box and ram it up his hole.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:37pm
Last year before the italy game, the garda band played Amhrán na bhFiann at a hundred miles per hour, was ridiculous, when its so fast its hard to belt out the words. They copped on for the France game, it was played slowly, the way the words have most meaning. Easier to sing as well.

I dont think having someone sing the anthem live is necessarily the best idea. In Paris, they had the words sung out over the tannoy to try drown us out, clever tactic. Leave it with a band playing the tune at a slow pace, and thats perfect. Someone should have a word.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: silas10
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:42pm
its a disgrace not 1 irish player stands correctly for the anthem, your hands arent suppose to be behind your back they should be straight down by your side.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by silas10 silas10 wrote:

its a disgrace not 1 irish player stands correctly for the anthem, your hands arent suppose to be behind your back they should be straight down by your side.

Really, how do you know this? I always sing it with my arms behind my back. Why is that wrong? Im genuinely not taking the piss. Perhaps Im just a small bit ignorant, wouldnt mind a bit of education!!! I presume its the Government who make these regualtions, similar to the treatment they recommend for the National Flag. Im not aware of any Government recommendations as regards correct singing and posture towards the National Anthem. Again I could be wrong and am very open to some education!!!

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

Gimp of the highest order, put his message in his box and ram it up his hole.

LOL Quality FW. I'm going to request that song at your next gig.

-------------

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 1:12am
does anyon else think its a bit ironic that about 40% of the singing section don't even sing the national anthem before the game...no having a go, but its true

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

does anyon else think its a bit ironic that about 40% of the singing section don't even sing the national anthem before the game...no having a go, but its true

so less than half but more than 30% citizen Wink

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: silas10
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:59am
ye your standin to attention watch how the gardai and army do it for the anthem.(im not in the army or a member of the gardai)

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:01am

Really, how do you know this? I always sing it with my arms behind my back. Why is that wrong? Im genuinely not taking the piss. Perhaps Im just a small bit ignorant, wouldnt mind a bit of education!!! I presume its the Government who make these regualtions, similar to the treatment they recommend for the National Flag. Im not aware of any Government recommendations as regards correct singing and posture towards the National Anthem. Again I could be wrong and am very open to some education!!!
Never heard that before either Silas. Hands behind my back is what I do too. But if there is indeed a different protocol/regulation, it should be communicated better perhaps as I do not think many people are aware of it.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:04am

Phone Joe Duffy FFS

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:32am
Half the people arent in their seats anyway when the anthem is played. Theres always people pushing by me getting to their seats when the anthem is on. They should be respecting it and standing still.

Put the words up on the screen.

Our national anthem in english? - I hope thats a fookin' joke.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:20pm
Watching the Italy u21's the other night signing their anthem with passion and pride.

Then watched our players, and most simply weren't bothered. This really pisses me off.

Great to see Bazunu and Ogbene singing it Clap

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:29pm
Its time Coleman started singing it

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:36pm
Have to say it really bothers me too

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:38pm
The Italian national anthem is one of the best songs out there.
Ours is one of the most maudlin military marching songs out there. It's up there with the English, USA and German anthems as being awful music.

Wouldn't blame Coleman for staying quiet.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:41pm
It's a bug bear of mine that the players dont all belt it out in unison. Surely they could be taught it while in camp - not by way of edict, but as a bit of craic. I'm pretty sure the English born U21 captain Coventry was belting it out prior to the Italy game, which was encouraging.

I wouldnt worry about the fans, thats beyond anyone's control, but I do think the players should be encouraged to learn and sing the anthem! A fierce rendition can set the tone for the game ahead and it can silence the bores who drone on about the Granny rule players etc.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:53pm
it actually dosent bother me too much. i actually don't know the words properly to it either. Its not our 1st language as opposed to most countries who speak their own language. how many on here know all the words and meaning i wonder?

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

it actually dosent bother me too much. i actually don't know the words properly to it either. Its not our 1st language as opposed to most countries who speak their own language. how many on here know all the words and meaning i wonder?

Id imagine most know it word for word but would only know a loose translation.

I definitely think players should be encouraged to learn it and sing it but its not a huge ordeal and doesn't really bother me, but its a great representation as team when countries do belt it out like the Italians and even Luxembourg last night. Just comes across as very strong and passionate, a team that has a real togetherness.

But at the end of the day, its a football team and not X-Factor.

I'd imagine there's a lot of lads in there that just don't like publicly singing! I know I dont without a rake of pints LOL

Maybe it should be taught and encouraged from the beginning at u15s/16s/17s

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Doesn't really bother me either. No one should be forced to sing something if they don't want to. 

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:15pm
I don't know the words either, in either English or Irish.

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Doesn't really bother me either. No one should be forced to sing something if they don't want to. 

But you'd force the vaccine on them wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
Look at the Spanish. None of those lads sing their anthem.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Disgraceful stuff altogether LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:24pm

LOLLOL

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

But you'd force the vaccine on them wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

Not too worried about other people in general.  

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:30pm

LOL

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:33pm

Probably couldn't tell you what a single word of it in English is and only know it in Irish as Gerry McLoughlin who was an Irish rugby international taught us for a few months and was the only Irish he taught us.

Which is still more Irish than the teacher he was filling in for taught us as he was Welsh so knew f**k all Irish.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm

LOL

Knew that was coming.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Watching the Italy u21's the other night signing their anthem with passion and pride.

Then watched our players, and most simply weren't bothered. This really pisses me off.

The only lads that sang it were the black lads in the team. Bazunu, Ogbene, Idah etc..fair play to them.

I'd wager the likes of Duffy, Kenny, Coleman and Young Doherty et al havent a breeze what the words are.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:29pm
SK wasn't signing the anthem last night, not sure if he ever does?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:45pm
Matt Doherty only sings the Dutch one

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The only lads that sang it were the black lads in the team. Bazunu, Ogbene, Idah etc..fair play to them.

I'd wager the likes of Duffy, Kenny, Coleman and Young Doherty et al havent a breeze what the words are.

Ogbene was born in Lagos and spent his 1st 8 years there. I doubt he speaks Irish, but he made the effort, while the others couldn't be arsed.

I just think it reflects badly on the team, why even stand for for the anthem? why even come out for it? 
where do you draw that line.

I'd like to see them sing it with pride to show that they are up for it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:58pm

Ogbene was born in Lagos and spent his 1st 8 years there. I doubt he speaks Irish, but he made the effort, while the others couldn't be arsed.

I just think it reflects badly on the team, why even stand for for the anthem? why even come out for it? 

They don't need to sing to show they are up for it. our guys are always up for it one thing we cannot blame them on.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:01pm

They don't need to sing to show they are up for it. our guys are always up for it one thing we cannot blame them on.

Really?
Many a game before where they haven't - and this is not a criticism under Kenny, as it pre-dates him.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 4:12am
Can't remember the game but I remember the camera being on Simon Cox during the anthem and it seemed like he was making up his own words LOL

Would agree with HB on this. Players and staff should be singing it. I think it reflects badly on them if they don't.

That being said, it's a brutal anthem for a sporting event. The pacing of the music and the lyrics are never in sync.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:33am
To be honest, if Shane Duffy's normal voice is anything to go by, I don't think he'd be a Michael Buble or Pavarotti in the singing stakes, so he might be saving our ears a bashing

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net