You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alan Browne
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Alan Browne

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Message
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7092
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

A poor shortlist for the senior team and really reflects how we've struggled.



McGoldrick won man of the match in about half our games last year, you certainly could say he was very good. In fact about the only criticism I'd have of him was that he didn't score more, because every other aspect of his play was brilliant. Stevens, by comparison, was pretty average when you consider how good his form has been for Sheffield United. McGoldrick should take the prize by an absolute country mile.
Scoring goals is kind of the main point of being a striker though isn't it, or setting them up which he doesn't do a lot of either. At least when you are playing one up front its a pretty essential requirement. Sheffield United he can get away with it as they have a number of midfield players that chip in with plenty of goals. We don't. 
I'd still keep him in the team based on overall performances and the fact we currently have nobody better but he's hardly sending shivers down goalkeepers spines. Likeable feller though.
Enda probably our best performer, who'd have thought a left back being that in our team based on the last decade?


Sorry, but that's complete revisionism based on his Sheff Utd performances. Stevens was actually quite shaky early on in Mick's tenure (understandable, he hadn't played as an orthodox left-back in quite a while); he got better, but he's been nowhere near as effective for us as he is for Sheffield. I'd say his performances have mostly been proficient rather than eye catching. 

McGoldrick, by contrast, was the fulcrum of the team under Mick. Basically everything in an attacking sense went through him, and he played the role excellently. All you have to do is look at how badly we struggled when he was out injured for a couple of games...  He's was far and away the most important player under Mick, it's just not even close.
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1896
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
McGoldrick has been the best of a bad bunch during an extremely mediocre campaign.

Ought to win it.


Edited by NewtNewbie - 29 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
Back to Top
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Location: Boston, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 2391
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McGoldrick has been the best of a bad bunch during an extremely mediocre campaign.

Ought to win it.

Agreed. Got a soft spot for him but also think he’s really done wonders for us in a couple of games
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Kilcrohane/WA
Status: Offline
Points: 514
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:19am
Well then McGoldrick became the accidental fulcrum because his initial role at Sheffield United was to score the goals - as in their promotion year. He was given the same job for Ireland. When goals failed to arrive, he morphed into your clumsily-named fulcrum player and did a good job. So if he wins the award he would benefit from revisionism.  

Conan spells it out well in his compelling case for Stevens. Ironically, Matt Doherty, even allowing for his international situation, won't win any award despite being the best Irish player last season by a stretch. Sad that. 
Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
Back to Top
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7092
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Well then McGoldrick became the accidental fulcrum because his initial role at Sheffield United was to score the goals - as in their promotion year. He was given the same job for Ireland. When goals failed to arrive, he morphed into your clumsily-named fulcrum player and did a good job. So if he wins the award he would benefit from revisionism.  

Conan spells it out well in his compelling case for Stevens. Ironically, Matt Doherty, even allowing for his international situation, won't win any award despite being the best Irish player last season by a stretch. Sad that. 

"Accidental fulcrum", that's a new one on me LOL 

The award is clearly based solely on performances for the national team (Whelan is hardly being nominated nominated for sitting on Hearts bench and playing a few games for Fleetwood, is he?). Based on that glaringly obvious fact, Matt Doherty is obviously not going to win any awards due to him not playing that many games for national team Embarrassed

McGoldrick's primary role was never as a goalscorer for Sheff Utd, and the fact you think it was shows that you're talking out of your h*le. He got a decent haul last year in the Championship, but Sharp was their main goalscorer. McGoldrick (as with this season) played the "2nd striker" role, dropping deeper than his partner to link play with midfield. This is how he has always played, right back to his Ipswich days. He was essentially tasked with doing the same thing for Ireland, with the difference being that he didn't have a strike partner alongside him to get a head of the play, meaning he had to pretty much do double the work. And he did that, basically running himself into the ground in every performance.
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Kilcrohane/WA
Status: Offline
Points: 514
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:07am
Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.






Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
Back to Top
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7092
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.







Re the point in bold, that is literally exactly what I've said. You are contradicting your own claim (that his primary function at Sheffield United was as a goalscorer) and supporting mine (which is that he remit is actually a fair bit wider than that).

I'm not even going to address the other paragraph; it's the 2nd time in two days you've tried to excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Kilcrohane/WA
Status: Offline
Points: 514
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.







Re the point in bold, that is literally exactly what I've said. You are contradicting your own claim (that his primary function at Sheffield United was as a goalscorer) and supporting mine (which is that he remit is actually a fair bit wider than that).

I'm not even going to address the other paragraph; it's the 2nd time in two days you've tried to excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.
Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
Back to Top
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 7092
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Your blouse is flapping again, Mrs O'Shea. McGoldrick played as a second striker with Sharp. He was signed as such - of course he roamed.  Your diatribe synchronises nicely with your rambling claptrap on the Manning thread. Here's a boring grab from that lecture to fellow posters: 

"there's something of a self-generated nature to these claims; one person claims player X has this huge weakness, a few other people repeat the claim based solely off person one's statement, and then before you know it it has become "accepted knowledge" that everyone just mindlessly repeats. It's hard to imagine he'd be being considered by a few different EPL teams if that side of his game was quite so bad....

You are that "one person". McCarthy also tasked McGoldrick to score goals. Surprised? He got just one but became valuable elsewhere. He remains so. Your revisionism comment on Stevens was wrong, your comment on McGoldrick wrong, your anti-Trap epic arrogant, your Whelan comment atrocious, your Lenihan-sledge defence was pathetic. 

But hey, it's all accepted knowledge now. Stop flapping, you'll damage a nipple.







Re the point in bold, that is literally exactly what I've said. You are contradicting your own claim (that his primary function at Sheffield United was as a goalscorer) and supporting mine (which is that he remit is actually a fair bit wider than that).

I'm not even going to address the other paragraph; it's the 2nd time in two days you've tried to excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.

Are you even following what is being said, or are you just typing random nonsense? You first claimed McGoldrick's primary function in Sheffield United's team was to score goals; I argued that it was not; you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me that he was actually a "2nd striker" rather than a goalscorer; and now you're claiming that I've agreed with your original argument that his primary job is goalscoring? Mr. Thick may be a more appropriate moniker LOL

If your argument boils down to "his position contains the word striker, therefore his only job is to score goals" then your understanding of football tactics is about 30 years outdated. It's like saying "a full backs only job is to defend" (whereas in most modern teams it is actually to attack and create chances); or a goalkeepers only job is to catch crosses (when in reality their distribution is now just as important as traditional "goalkeeping skills"). 

McGoldricks role at Sheffield United follows exactly the same logic, he may play up front, but he is not in the team to be a regular goalscorer. Wilder selects him to link play, create space/chances, and defend from the front; and he's excellent at it. That is why Wilder refers to him as "the most complete footballer he's ever worked with".
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Fozz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:44pm
Can't disagree with that last statement but....this is the Alan Browne thread so come on...
Back to Top
Conan View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar
I’m not very bright.

Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 624
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Y


 excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.

Are you even following what is being said, or are you just typing random nonsense? You first claimed McGoldrick's primary function in Sheffield United's team was to score goals; I argued that it was not; you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me that he was actually a "2nd striker" rather than a goalscorer; and now you're claiming that I've agreed with your original argument that his primary job is goalscoring? Mr. Thick may be a more appropriate moniker LOL

If your argument boils down to "his position contains the word striker, therefore his only job is to score goals" then your understanding of football tactics is about 30 years outdated. It's like saying "a full backs only job is to defend" (whereas in most modern teams it is actually to attack and create chances); or a goalkeepers only job is to catch crosses (when in reality their distribution is now just as important as traditional "goalkeeping skills"). 

McGoldricks role at Sheffield United follows exactly the same logic, he may play up front, but he is not in the team to be a regular goalscorer. Wilder selects him to link play, create space/chances, and defend from the front; and he's excellent at it. That is why Wilder refers to him as "the most complete footballer he's ever worked with".
Wilder is clearly destined to become manager of the EIRE if he considers a striker's role to be the first line of defence. Look at any of the top ranking nations, their centre forwards are all at least relatively prolific which is what they are chosen for. Players in that position there 60 % at least for the purpose of scoring goals, 15-20% maybe for creating them - which is something McGoldrick doesn't do a lot of either, only 2 assists as well this season so half what Stevens contributed - and the remainder for the rest of the toil. Like Long he's great holding up the ball, running the channels, linking play etc but what we need from our centre forward is the Robbie Keane job of hitting the back of the net, as nobody else much is going to do it for us. His saving grace is that none of our other strikers are doing this at the top level either so his auxillary duties justify his place in the side at least.
Apologies to Browney
Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Kilcrohane/WA
Status: Offline
Points: 514
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Y


 excise a quote from one thread and requisition it into a completely unrelated thread; obsessed is a word that comes to mind Embarrassed
Sorted! You now accept McGoldrick's role was as a striker - i.e. to score goals. Your wisdom grows with  avoidance of the quote issue - because a quote is a quote no matter where or when it appears (best allow neutrals judge context). 

Apologies to Alan Browne fans and the honourable DeclanDaly. Won't happen again.

Are you even following what is being said, or are you just typing random nonsense? You first claimed McGoldrick's primary function in Sheffield United's team was to score goals; I argued that it was not; you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me that he was actually a "2nd striker" rather than a goalscorer; and now you're claiming that I've agreed with your original argument that his primary job is goalscoring? Mr. Thick may be a more appropriate moniker LOL

If your argument boils down to "his position contains the word striker, therefore his only job is to score goals" then your understanding of football tactics is about 30 years outdated. It's like saying "a full backs only job is to defend" (whereas in most modern teams it is actually to attack and create chances); or a goalkeepers only job is to catch crosses (when in reality their distribution is now just as important as traditional "goalkeeping skills"). 

McGoldricks role at Sheffield United follows exactly the same logic, he may play up front, but he is not in the team to be a regular goalscorer. Wilder selects him to link play, create space/chances, and defend from the front; and he's excellent at it. That is why Wilder refers to him as "the most complete footballer he's ever worked with".
Wilder is clearly destined to become manager of the EIRE if he considers a striker's role to be the first line of defence. Look at any of the top ranking nations, their centre forwards are all at least relatively prolific which is what they are chosen for. Players in that position there 60 % at least for the purpose of scoring goals, 15-20% maybe for creating them - which is something McGoldrick doesn't do a lot of either, only 2 assists as well this season so half what Stevens contributed - and the remainder for the rest of the toil. Like Long he's great holding up the ball, running the channels, linking play etc but what we need from our centre forward is the Robbie Keane job of hitting the back of the net, as nobody else much is going to do it for us. His saving grace is that none of our other strikers are doing this at the top level either so his auxillary duties justify his place in the side at least.
Apologies to Browney

Brilliant post, Conan. 
Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla clíste.
Back to Top
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Avatar
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Location: P. Rep of Cork
Status: Offline
Points: 4246
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:10pm
An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 04 Aug 2020 at 9:11pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 41641
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne
Bollocks! All Premier League clubs have names.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
cildaratown View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

killdare town

Joined: 11 Mar 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 999
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne

Where did you see that?
Back to Top
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 5307
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne
Bollocks! All Premier League clubs have names.

LOL
El Puto Amo
Back to Top
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb


Joined: 04 Aug 2020
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

An unnamed Premier league club has made a bid for Alan Browne

Where did you see that?


Jay O'Connor on Twitter. Not a reliable source.
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 266
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:41pm
Going to predict Burnley or West Brom if the story is true.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.