You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:21am
Booked mine for Paris (Montmarte) in January. Only 2 reviews but haven't heard from her since! Fingers crossed all goes smoothly!
Sponsored Links

miece View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:56am
same, booked in montmarte. booked in march with 3 reviews. haven't heard a word since the day of booking

Edited by miece - 09 May 2016 at 11:56am
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:35pm
I'm booked in an airbnb for the night of the Belgium game in Bordeaux.   Only realised it says 2 pm check in time which obviously wont work with a 3 pm kick off.  Emailed looking to move it forward but haven't heard back.  hopefully it works out
Team Emmet
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:32pm
Some of them have late check in's. Some are around 6pm.

I've booked Bordeaux and Lille in an AirBnB.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McNulty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:58pm
Lads I wouldn't be getting worried about your Airbnb bookings. I host in London and have used it for a couple of years in various Cities. Have booked Paris and Bordeaux. Never had an issue with a guest or when travelling.

The last thing a host wants is to have one of those 'host cancelled booking' messages on their page. So if you've booked with someone who isn't just using it to cash in on Euros (has previous reviews) you should be fine. And as Seaniemac pointed out Airbnb will do their best to accommodate you if you are let down. If you are worried about check in times just message your host and work something out that suits you both.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 3:53pm
Agree with most of the comments on here. Airbnb is safe.

Airbnb gives you similar comfort as a hotel... you may on occasion get told the booking is now cancelled but that could happen at a hotel and is bad news for them if you provide online feedback.

ColG View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:17pm
My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Having watched pulp fiction again last night, if I was you lot id be more worried that the person would show up and bring out the gimp
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:27pm
Thumbs Up yep cant go too wrong with airbnb. Used them for a few years now and no problems. If you're a group of lads you'll probably have more issues as lets face it, who wants to rent their place out to a group of lads on the p1ss... when you send a message with your booking perhaps say you are in town with family... 
McNulty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

[QUOTE=ColG]My worry is I arrive over in Paris try contact the person and hear nothing. Then I'm stuck in Paris with nowhere to stay! That's the main worry. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

You have the address and contact details of your host. You can either message them through Airbnb or on their phone. Closer to time ask them for directions to their place. They should be helpful- they want a good review from you! Plus they would not get paid from Airbnb if they did leave you high and dry. So why would they risk their reputation for no financial gain..

Mods - could you remove the word Scams from thread title? I haven't read every post but most posts are positive about Airbnb. Trap Junior created the thread but as far as I know he was not scammed by Airbnb

Edited by McNulty - 09 May 2016 at 4:35pm
ColG View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Originally posted by ColG ColG wrote:

Having watched pulp fiction again last night, if I was you lot id be more worried that the person would show up and bring out the gimp

CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:49pm
Places which require security deposit, is it taken from your card when you book? A lot of places seem to be looking for security deposit
McNulty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

Places which require security deposit, is it taken from your card when you book? A lot of places seem to be looking for security deposit

I think so yes. Airbnb would hold onto it until your stay is complete. Security deposits wouldn't be the norm usually but Im guessing because they are expecting football fans some have included it.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:36pm
Your money is definitely safe with airbnb but your booking is not.  The "scam" is that owners can continue to list their property in the run up to the tournament at  a higher price and then cancel the original booking.   

Of course they are just renting their "neighbour's apartment" and just as their neighbour rents theirs for 100% more then they have to cancel their own booking.  

It is good to read they improved the terms for customers last year.  Definitely take the advice to book those with plenty of reviews.

Also a customer must pay up front and loses their money if they cancel.

For tournaments I think free cancellation on booking.com is a better option.  Hotels cannot cancel without serious consequences.  I am probably paying more than airbnb customers for this tournament but prefer to peace of mind.    
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:45pm
Story with the security deposits?
Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 
I booked and paid a few months back. 
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

I'm booked in an airbnb for the night of the Belgium game in Bordeaux.   Only realised it says 2 pm check in time which obviously wont work with a 3 pm kick off.  Emailed looking to move it forward but haven't heard back.  hopefully it works out

I'm sure there are lockers or left luggage rooms at the train or bus station that you can drop off your bags before the match.  Then collect them afterwards and check into your accommodation before heading into town and enjoying the night.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

Will they take it out of my account  prior to arrival or should they already have done it by now. 

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

What security deposits?
I think you pay the full whack up front, that money gets held by AirBnB until you stay there and then release the money to the host.

Thats it and if any host asks for a deposit or cleaning fee when you arrive tell them to get f**ked.AirBnB do all that and you pay host nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic