You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by irish boogie irish boogie wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Actually airbnb policies stop people cancelling like that and re-letting. It's easily enough got around if you advertise the same place on a different account, admittedly, although that takes a crafty owner, and also one who doesn't mind having half the number of reviews they should have. Plus, if the owner cancels, a note appears on their account advising people of the same.

I've aready had the guy on looking for more money as he said for the football it was more expensive I bargained with him as it was still good value hopefully that be the end of it, it was done through messaging and when agreed airbnb sent a message to say it was being amended and I had to accept or decline .

That's a load of balloxs , if my Air BnB buddy does that to me I'll park in his driveway for the 2 days and head off in to Bordeaux
Sponsored Links

Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 12:50am
Anyone that books "AirBnb" or uses "Couch surfing" deserves to be scammed.....

you gets your money you pays your bills....act cheap get treat cheap. Buy cheap buy twice.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:29am
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 5:06am
"Pissed surfing" are we..

Edited by Hickster74 - 01 Jan 2016 at 11:25am
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

you gets your money you pays your bills....act cheap get treat cheap. Buy cheap buy twice.
What?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Heard a few cases of scams on this where you pay for a fictional place or imitating a genuine place and you end up losing your money. I myself have already paid up front 344 euro for a house in Bordeaux for 2 nights. On my credit card bill it does say 'Airbnb' for the amount but still wonder if everything is above board. One reason being that I was sent a request to Jeannie who owned the house and described us as football supporters there for the Euro. I thought it best to be honest but she accepted the request to stay within an hour without issue (too quick?). Just wondering in retrospect was this too good to be true type of thing. Probably being overly paranoid but googled some stories there about the airbanb scams and it's hard to know.

JaysusConfused

As an Airbnb host,let me help put your mind at ease,the money that you have lodged is not in the hands of the host,it is held by Airbnb,it will only be sent to the host's account after you spend one night on  the property,so if for example you show up and the property is non existent or not as described on the website, you can notify airbnb and the they will refund your money,she is probably taking a load of bookings and wants to get things sorted so  i wouldn't worry about how fast she accepted your request.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:42pm

Stupid comment of the year
irish boogie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:54pm

Nothing cheap about where I'm staying think you better have a look at Airbnb before making stupid statements like that
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 3:57pm
Airbnb and couch surfing and for people looking to do things as cheaply as possible.

Wouldn't get me anywhere near one as a customer or a 'host'.They are a real threat to many small businesses and the people employed by them.

Crusties trying to make or save a few bob should cop on and think of the food they are taking out of the mouths of hotel owners and their staff......just so they can save a few Euro.

stupid fad
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:03pm
Stupid comment, why should a traditional hotel owner make money but someone providing this form of accommodation not? Should people not take ubers? World's moving on
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:10pm
Ehhh the traditional hotel owner will pay tax and employ people. That's very important for the economy particularly on places like Donegal and Kerry.

I would hazard a guess you are urban and university educated. Fair enough if you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom to save a tenner.

Selfish comment.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:13pm
I would never use an Uber. I have companies i use religiously when i might need a taxi.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:14pm

Ehhh the traditional hotel owner will pay tax and employ people. That's very important for the economy particularly on places like Donegal and Kerry.

I would hazard a guess you are urban and university educated. Fair enough if you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom to save a tenner.

Selfish comment.

Airbnb owners pay tax

Bordeaux I'm paying e250 city centre for three nights for two doubles. A hotel would be at least treble that, why should I pay it?

Vienna, airbnb more expensive than a good four star but the room is bigger, better located and earlier check in and later check out, why should I go for the hotel?

In new York in Sep a good hotel is cheaper than an airbnb so I've gone for that.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm

Selfish comment.
Spare bedroom to save a tenner? I'm staying in a fully furnished self catering apartment in the centre of Lille for about €100/€150 a night cheaper than a 2 star hotel outside the centre. Place to ourselves, no sharing. No brainer

Edited by GreenDodger93 - 03 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm
It is indeed a no brainer but you are replying to someone with a pea for a brain
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:27pm
2 star hotels in Bordeaux are charging €320 for a 1 night stay the night of the Belgium match. Yeah, let's protect the small business owners.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:38pm

Selfish comment.

As an Airbnb host i payed tax and hired 2 people Thumbs Up

Not everyone can afford hotels,especially young families,if you don't like it ,that's your choice but you have no right to knock those who do.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
I'm sorry you seem like a sound skin but I do "have a right" to object to AirBnB and the like as it directly affects family members and 1000s and 1000s of people in Ireland.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic