You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam Rooney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by petej1963 petej1963 wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

why is he not in the u21 squad.

Because he is 22 Wink

I thought you were eligible until you turn 23.
Sponsored Links

petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by baddler baddler wrote:

to be honest I think he's pretty much found his level.  Was never too impressed with him when he played for the u21s. 

If we're looking for lanky mediocre strikers that play/used to play in Scotland then I think Cillian Sheridan has that place sewn up...

Sorry don't agree, have seen him a few times at different levels, good head on his shoulders, at 22 he has a bit to go, Time will tell.

Sleep gentle our Rose of Mooncoin.......
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 1:24pm

Terry Butcher has backed Adam Rooney and Eric Odhiambo to continue the club`s recent goalscoring form as Inverness prepare to host struggling Hamilton.

Rooney has grabbed four goals in the victories over Dundee United and Peterhead, with Odhiambo playing his part with two assists.

And Butcher believes the pair can be a force to be reckoned with in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

"They formed a good partnership last season and they've started the campaign well and that's great," Butcher said. "Eric has got superb ability, turns and holds the ball up well and has an eye for a pass.

"Then Adam has a great eye for goal - there's no doubting that every time he hits the ball you think he's going to score. Adam's a great player and starting to blossom into a top-class striker and we're obviously very happy with that.

"There's also youngster Nick Ross who had a very good game against Peterhead on Wednesday night, and he's only 18 years old and learning very quickly."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 12:49pm
Adam Rooney is determined to make the most of his last chance to represent the Republic of Ireland at Under-21 level.

The Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker has been recalled after an absence of more than two years for the European Championship qualifiers against Switzerland on Friday night and Turkey next Tuesday.

Ireland cannot make the finals and will use the two games to prepare themselves for the next campaign.

However, Rooney, 22, will be too old by then, and so he is desperate to sign off in style.

He said: 'I'm delighted to be back with the Under-21s. It's been a few years since I was in the squad, so I'm glad to be back.

'Unfortunately, these will be my last two matches because I will be over-age for the next campaign, so hopefully I get a chance to play and it will be great to play for Ireland again.'

When Rooney last represented his country against England in February 2008, he was still trying to make his way in the game at Stoke City, from where he had loan spells at Yeovil, Chesterfield and Bury.

However, he has blossomed since moving north of the border to join Inverness Caledonian Thistle, for whom he scored 24 goals last season as they bounced back into the Scottish Premier League at the first attempt.

Four goals in five top-flight games to date have demonstrated his continuing potency, and he is relishing the chance to link up with Anthony Stokes once again following his big summer move to Celtic.

Rooney said: 'I would say myself, Kris Boyd and Stokesy were the top three scorers in Scotland last season, so it would be nice to link-up with Stokesy for the Under-21s.

'We have played together for Ireland a few times and we always seem to score goals together.'

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:44am
Rooney has continued his good goalscoring form by equalising for Caley with a penalty against Hibs.
petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Rooney has continued his good goalscoring form by equalising for Caley with a penalty against Hibs.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 12:06pm

Terry Butcher wants to reward Adam Rooney's fine start to the season with a new and improved contract to deter suitors.

petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Terry Butcher wants to reward Adam Rooney's fine start to the season with a new and improved contract to deter suitors.

Really think he should give this one a long think, no hurry yet to sign.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 7:44am

Caley Thistle attacker Adam Rooney is content to put his contract negotiations on the backburner and concentrate on finding the net for the Highlanders.

The 22-year-old is in the final year of his deal and Inverness manager Terry Butcher is keen to begin extension talks.

Rooney, who struck 27 goals en route to the First Division title last term, is relishing life with Caley Jags and is determined to continue making strides in the SPL.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 international said: “I have not really had time to think about it with the games coming thick and fast and being away with the international team.

“It is not something I have been worrying about, I am sure it will be discussed in the next few weeks.

“I am very happy here. I have enjoyed my two years at the club and I am just concentrating on enjoying the matches.

“It has been a good move for me. Last season was the first time I played regular football, starting each week, and I think it helped me improve a lot.

“I will keep working hard this year and, hopefully, keep improving. It is good for the confidence to hear the manager speaking about wanting me to stay. It is always nice to hear. I just want to keep repaying that confidence by working hard for the team.

“Hopefully, I can keep scoring goals. It would be nice to get a couple against Hearts.”

Rooney has already bagged five goals this season and is hungry for more.

He would love to be on the scoresheet against Hearts today but his first aim is collecting three points.

He said: “It is good for the confidence to get a few goals early on. The good thing is we are creating chances for everyone. We have a lot of different scorers throughout the team, it is not just one person getting the goals.

“There are goals in this team. We have been fairly solid defensively as well, so things are looking good.

“Hearts are a good side and it will be a hard game.

“Jim Jefferies is an experienced manager and he will have them well organised. They have made a decent start but it is more about how we perform. It is important to get the home form right.”

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 2:24pm
Rooney has scored his sixth league goal of the season for Inverness tonight against Aberdeen.
petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Rooney has scored his sixth league goal of the season for Inverness tonight against Aberdeen.

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:40am

Rooney puts the team first

CALEY THISTLE AWAY RECORD COMES BEFORE ADAM’S GOALS TARGET

Published: 27/11/2010

Adam Rooney had no idea he was on the verge of his own Inverness milestone at Parkhead today – but insists he would happily swap it for making them unbeaten away from home in a year.

As well as chalking up his 100th appearance for Caley Thistle in Glasgow's East End, the Dubliner is just one goal short of taking his goals tally to 50 in his two years since signing from Stoke City to make him one of the most prolific hitmen in the SPL.

Rooney, with 13 goals already to his credit this season, is relishing the trip to Celtic Park where Terry Butcher’s men have the chance to stretch their proud undefeated run in the league to exactly 12 months.

And while he’s had praise poured on him up until now for his exploits, the modest Irishman insists he’s more concerned with maintaining the team’s travelling record when they go head-to-head with Neil Lennon's title-chasers.

Rooney said: “Someone said to me the other day that I was close to my 50th goal for the club which I actually wasn’t aware of.

“Things have obviously been going well for me in front of goal and for a lot of strikers that’s the be the be-all-and-end-all.

“But, to be honest, my main focus has always been the team and helping them achieve first and foremost.

“As a forward, you go into every game wanting to hit the back of the net and this one will be no different. My attitude is that if it happens on the day then in happens.

“But if someone else takes the plaudits this week then I won’t be complaining as the main thing is to try and keep this fantastic run going away from home.

“It’s amazing to think that we’ve not lost away for such a long time and we’ve been to difficult places like Ibrox, Tynecastle and Tannadice and come away unscathed.

“Some would say that this represents the biggest test of our mettle yet as Celtic will be aiming to bounce back from drawing with Dundee United last weekend and we’ve also come this far in respect of our away form.

“However, we’re going there quietly confident and will approach it the same way as any other away fixture.”

Inverness emerged from their recent trip to the other half of the Old Firm with a well-deserved point against Rangers at Ibrox.

For once Rooney wasn’t on target that day although the Irish ace reckons they can draw inspiration from their game across in the other half of the city.

He said : “We fell behind against Rangers but still had the resilience and grit to come back for a point late in the game.

“There’s no real secret as such to our success but I think that Rangers draw sums us up our whole attitude.”

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:35am

Stephane Chapuisat has confirmed that Swiss club Young Boys of Berne are interested in Irish striker Adam Rooney.

The Inverness player, whose contract is up in the summer, has scored 14 goals this season for the Highlanders and has also been linked with Russian club Kuban Krasnador and Hibernian.

Swiss legend Chapuisat, coach at Young Boys, told the Scottish Sun that his club are also tracking the 22-year-old Dubliner.

He said: 'Yes, I have been watching Rooney.

'I was in Glasgow to watch him and another player in the game with Rangers.

'Rooney is a good striker but he is one of a number of players we are watching right now.

'We are not looking to take him now - it would be for next season.

'Rooney has talent and I will watch him again.'

petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 11:34am
Two more for Adam today, Foran got two as well

Mr.Green/Red View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Green/Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 3:52pm
Adam Rooney well deserves a chance, even though he's only playing for ICT he is banging the goals and is very capable of doing the same for the boys in green! 100%
mccarticus View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mccarticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 1:59pm
B squad, if we have any B games coming up. thats where to have a look at him.
Sheedy wins it back, Sheedy shoots....
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 5:51am
I dont know why they dont have more B internationals. It would be the perfect chance to look at players like Rooney and the Dutch Lad. It would be good experience for the upcoming players like Conor Clifford and Robbie Brady too.  
Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:55am
Deserves his international chance.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic