You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam Rooney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:54pm
Salford would be worse than Bray like.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:06pm
It certainly puts the standard of the Scottish Premiership and Celtic's recent 'achievements' into perspective:

Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson says Salford 'blew us away with money' when they also tried to land Rooney.

"Fifty per cent of National League clubs probably pay more than the bottom half of the (Scottish) Premiership," he said.

"I tried to sign a National League player and he's gone to League Two on double the money of my highest-paid player.

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes has been left to rue the departure of Rooney, saying: "I think there will be a surprise maybe about where he's ended up.

"It's clear that Salford are a very ambitious club and they're in a hurry to get through the leagues.

"The first conversation I had with them about Adam was on the first day of pre-season. They were given no encouragement but they have certainly showed an ambition to get Adam, and it is a challenge for us to retain our players a lot of the time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/salford-city-adam-rooney-neville-14934876.amp

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He seemed to be on the wind-down at Aberdeen anyway and had little chance of making an international breakthrough, so probably the right sort of move for him.

Ah come on.

Moving to a non league club from the SPL (where he was very successful) is a horrendous move career wise.

I've no doubt he could have gotten clubs on a par that the likes of Cillian Sheridan played with or even gotten snapped up by an MLS club.

He's given up any slim chance he's had of getting an Ireland cap now.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

He seemed to be on the wind-down at Aberdeen anyway and had little chance of making an international breakthrough, so probably the right sort of move for him.

Ah come on.

Moving to a non league club from the SPL (where he was very successful) is a horrendous move career wise.

I've no doubt he could have gotten clubs on a par that the likes of Cillian Sheridan played with or even gotten snapped up by an MLS club.

Probably the right sort of move for his bank manager, anyways.

£4k a week he's on apparently.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Salford would be worse than Bray like.
Not a f**king hope, he will actually get paid there!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:16am
£4K a week is a big pay rise...
Wtf was he on in Scotland! He was top scorer for the 2nd best team in the league for the past few years.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:02am
I remember reading that the average wage at Aberdeen was around 2600 a week. I would imagine he was around that, or even a bit below.
I would imagine the likes of Shinnie and Kenny McLean, who has since signed for Norwich, Joe Lewis and GMS were probably their top earners.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I remember reading that the average wage at Aberdeen was around 2600 a week. I would imagine he was around that, or even a bit below.
I would imagine the likes of Shinnie and Kenny McLean, who has since signed for Norwich, Joe Lewis and GMS were probably their top earners.

That’s crazy for the 2nd best team in the league for the last few years.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

That’s crazy for the 2nd best team in the league for the last few years.

It is how it is in Scotland. There are clubs in the Scottish top flight with lower budgets than League Two here. Aberdeen have the third highest wage bill after Celtic and Rangers.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:26pm
Weren't wages the reason that Robbie Benson didn't join St. Johnstone? In the end Dundalk were able to offer him substantially more so he stayed put.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 1:29pm
I would imagine St. Johnstone could have given him more, it would have been a huge risk for them though. It was a much safer transfer for Dundalk.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 2:47pm
I'm not sure they could, I recall a quote from their manager that was something along the lines of "he's looking for L1/Championship wages and we can't afford that". It doesn't say much for the SPL that a LOI club was able to better match Benson's demands in any case...
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 9:55pm

I'm not sure they could, I recall a quote from their manager that was something along the lines of "he's looking for L1/Championship wages and we can't afford that". It doesn't say much for the SPL that a LOI club was able to better match Benson's demands in any case...
There isn't a hope he is getting anything near a L1/Championship wage, if he is then Dundalk won't be around for long.
The highest paid players at St. Johnstone will be on more than the highest paid in the LOI. They probably saw him as a cheap gamble, when Dundalk went higher they probably felt it wasn't worth the risk any more.
FatFreddyMax View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatFreddyMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 10:52pm
It makes sense.

He is now coming into his 30s with a young family, his best years are behind him. It's a case of securing his families and his own future with a better salary. He's had a decent career, although never making an impact for Ireland may forever be his regret.

People sometimes forget football for a lot of footballers is simply a means of income, like a postman, doctor or office worker. Securing your family has to be the number one priority for a vast majority of the worlds population.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 7:00pm

There isn't a hope he is getting anything near a L1/Championship wage, if he is then Dundalk won't be around for long.
The highest paid players at St. Johnstone will be on more than the highest paid in the LOI. They probably saw him as a cheap gamble, when Dundalk went higher they probably felt it wasn't worth the risk any more.

Id say theres some truth in it...

Id a look there and the last time St Johnstone bought a player, as in paid a cash fee, was nearly 10 years ago. All their players have been free, loans and academy players.

Their profit for last year was only 100k, compared to Dundalks 3m odd.

They dont do well in Europe, where the main cash is. More often than not going out in first round and didnt even qualify for it last season.

Their average attendance is only 4500 against Dundalks 3000.

Theyre not winning titles or any other silverware so no cash there.

I cant see any of their players on anymore than Dundalks.

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

given the adequate compensation for this I'm not sure he'll be too bothered by that
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

£4K a week is a big pay rise...
Wtf was he on in Scotland! He was top scorer for the 2nd best team in the league for the past few years.

I think 4k was what he was on at Aberdeen no?

Salford have also signed Danny Lloyd from Peterborough who earned 85k a year and he has publicly said that the 85k a year was peanuts in comparison to his new wage at Salford
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:35pm
Scottish clubs have not taken Europe seriously in a long time, if you read the individual club threads on sites like Pie and Bovril, you will see how seriously their players treat the off season! Carbs in Marbs, or so I believe the phrase goes!
In contrast, LOI clubs have to take Europe seriously as the prize money dwarves anything they could make at home( St. Johnstone made 1.6 million from the league the season before last) which is why everything is done to give them every possible advantage. In saying all that, the only hope an Irish side has of making the EL groups is through the CL route, something no Scottish side, apart from the obvious, has the luxury of.
I'm an Irish football fan who, as a Celtic fan as well, has more than a passing interest in Scottish football too. I wish Irish people cared as much about football in our country as the Scots do about football in their country, but we have, in the minds of LOI fans at least, a bizarre competition with Scottish football that always seems a little bit odd, deluded and slightly embarrassing. While we have clubs going out of business again, hopefully not, but being realistic, we have fans trying to say our clubs are better than professionally ran clubs who keep within their means.
That isn't to say Scottish football is wonderful or in a great state, it is certainly weaker in stature in comparison with the league south of the border than it was, wages in the EFL and non-league have certainly made it less lucrative for players and players at the very bottom of the league, or wage table at least, are on a par with the top of the LOI wage table at least, which is something that would have been unfathomable not that long ago. Motherwell, who are very modestly run these days have an average wage of 820 quid a week, which I would guess is around
Dundalk's. Motherwell's was the second lowest last season, after Hamilton, if reports are to be believed and they seem reasonably realistic.
Put simply, I don't think the likes of Cummins or Duffy got a pay rise coming home from there and most players from here would probably gladly take the same wages to play there.
Except those players disenfranchised with the English and Scottish game and want to rebuild in familiar surroundings.

Edited by pre Madonna - 22 Jul 2018 at 8:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic