You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 369
    Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:12am
Discuss.
Sponsored Links

ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:34am
Very disappointing from the "Irish Soccer public", that less than 1000 people go out to watch the two best teams in recent times in the country.  Both teams going for the title.

Was at a meeting last night, went for a pint after the meeting in the local which would have about ten people on a Monday night, there was well over a 100 cheering and booing at the TV in the corner which was showing two foreign teams playing without an Irishman playing on either and many of the crowd watching referring to the teams as "We"....strange.

Edited by ontheball - 18 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:42am
So the question is should the FAI go head to head with big foreign games? Is even acknowledging the 'Red Monday (c)' an admission of defeat?
sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:55am
People need to get over the fact that Irish people follow English teams and choose to follow them over Irish teams, it happens now and will continue to happen whether we moan about it or not.

If the Liverpool v Man Utd match wasn't on last night, the attendance figures wouldn't of been much different either, Pat's have been getting poor attendance figures all season. Longford are dead and buried and have feck all going to games this season regardless.

People who go to LOI games either frequently or infrequently, associate LOI matches with Friday nights, any other day of the week and there's a huge drop off in the attendance, this problem has been around years and not just last night. Clubs need to do more marketing for games when they fall on nights other than Friday, I understand the english match receives more press coverage but there was little mention of the 2 games last night.

There's more the clubs can do other than blame them across the water. 

"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm
Even for Pats and even for a Monday 369 is incredibly low.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:23pm
Season over for Pats but even still , not sure what to say but fair play to the hardcore fans who were there Clap
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:34pm
4th home game in 22 days for Pats, who are well out of everything. League lost last week for City. Monday night. Not the biggest surprise really.

I think it's one of the unintended consequences of summer football. In England, even if both teams are well out of contention, end of season in May is still an enjoyable day out in the heat/sun. In Ireland, the same end of season game is on a cold night in October. Not as attractive a time to go watch a game. Maybe there should be more midweek games in the summer for teams involved in Europe to avoid these bleak evenings.
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

4th home game in 22 days for Pats, who are well out of everything. League lost last week for City. Monday night. Not the biggest surprise really.

I think it's one of the unintended consequences of summer football. In England, even if both teams are well out of contention, end of season in May is still an enjoyable day out in the heat/sun. In Ireland, the same end of season game is on a cold night in October. Not as attractive a time to go watch a game. Maybe there should be more midweek games in the summer for teams involved in Europe to avoid these bleak evenings.

Might have been the 4th home game in 22 days but there was only 507 there when we played them and going by Soccer Republic there was a hell of a lot less against Wexford. Their core support is really beginning to dwindle. Even the day they won the league in 2013 the ground wasn't sold out. 
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Might have been the 4th home game in 22 days but there was only 507 there when we played them and going by Soccer Republic there was a hell of a lot less against Wexford. Their core support is really beginning to dwindle. Even the day they won the league in 2013 the ground wasn't sold out. 

The falling attendances at Pat's are the most alarming in the league. Some clubs are just not in football areas but Pat's are one of our clubs that we would always look to as a core LOI club.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 2:26pm
I'm a Pats fan. I was there last night. And yes, 369 is terrible, and worrying.

Rather than concentrating about the specific reasons for last night's paltry attendance (and the reasons mentioned are valid), we need to realise that it's indicative of two wider issues: the League's overall average attendances and St. Pats' waning support in what is a heavily populated catchment area.

Regarding the first issue, we can talk separately about reforming the league structure, the FAI doing more marketing, the clubs doing more marketing, the positive impact that Dundalk's success in Europe may have, but in my opinion not one of these things alone will help grow the appeal of the league. It will be a combination of all of these and more. And it will only happen with leadership, commitment, resources and time. 

So rather than, let's say, the FAI changing the amount of teams in the league, they need to support that with a marketing initiative, and not just for one year. For two years, three years...five years. So many plans in LoI football are short term. It's no good sticking up a few posters for a few weeks, or sending out an email about a team involved in European competition once in the summer. Marketing needs to be proactive, planned out and strategic. Appointing a dedicated Marketing Director for the LoI at Abbotstown would be a start. 

About the second issue, I was involved in a marketing group at St. Pats last year. As anyone involved in a voluntary basis at any of our clubs will know, it can be difficult to get a large volunteer base to implement any sort of initiatives. We can all come up with good ideas, but bodies are needed to put them into effect. And sometimes the skills needed for specific tasks are not available amongst volunteers or supporters groups. I've noticed some really excellent, imaginative posters coming out of Cork City over the last few years, so I'm guessing one of their volunteers is a talented graphic designer. At Pats we didn't have that. And it makes a difference. An eye-catching poster can spread on social media, project a certain image of the club and over time help to increase attendances. But once again, leadership, commitment, resources and time are needed. 

I don't really know the answer, to be honest.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:54pm

This is it for me. It's mental to expect fans to go to home games so often. 1 game a week should be the aim and no midweek games.
No need for cup replays either just go straight to penalties.

The 4 European representitves could start their season 2 weeks before the rest of the league and play each other. Potential for a blitz there in the RDS or Tallaght.
That would leave a fortnight to play with around the time they are in Europe.
Byes to an advanced stage of the cups would help too.

Obviously, Pats have specific issues that are effecting their attendances. I really don't have any answers for them. They've a comfortable ground and they're coming off the back of one of their most successful spells in their history.
Now that European football is gone, there could be bleak times ahead for them.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:38pm
Let's call a spade a spade, Pats are no longer a big club, their attendance have been cat the last few years.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Let's call a spade a spade, Pats are no longer a big club, their attendance have been cat the last few years.

Agree but who are the big clubs?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

There aren't any.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I suppose it's two tier, but Cork and Rovers would be up there along with Dundalk.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:34pm
How much were tickets into the Pats vs Cork game last night? 

What would you pay on average to go watch an Athlone vs Waterford for argument sake?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:36pm
Bit of a grim statistic here.

Neither Dundalk or Cork would be in the top 6 average attendances in the Scottish First Division.

It really is time to shake the league up.
16 team league, MLS style structure, 10 team league, play offs, NASL structure.
It all needs to be on the tabe and do something.
The league attendance is below 1000.
There's nothing to lose.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

What would you pay on average to go watch an Athlone vs Waterford for argument sake?

E5 for an adult E2.50 for a child would seem reasonable.
That's the value I'd put on it.

Clubs being able to survive on that is another matter.

This got me curious so I Googled ticket prices in the English 6th tier. Just because I think clubs at that level would have similar issues to LOI clubs.

Wealdstones prices are on a par with what our clubs charge.
Adults £12 (about E15), Concessions £7 (about E10)

The interesting bit was U16s. £2 will get them into a game.
They are clearly desperate to get that age group in and get them hooked on going to matches.

The current LOI pricing is E5 for under 12s. It would be well worth extending that up to U16s and charging 2 or 3 euro.

Alot of lower league clubs also offer discounts for EPL season ticket holders. There's a hell of a lot of those floating around this country.
Offering GAA season ticket holders/people with big GAA match ticket stubs could also help get them into games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic