Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland Match Thread (March 2024)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 8:02am
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

Nonsense re Doherty . Yeah he appears uninterested but that’s just his demeanour . More often than not he’s been one of the better players on pitch when he’s played for us. Great ball retention , movement 

Another example of one of our better players taking pelters because they're only good rather than great.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:07am
Ogbene not in the squad tonight.
ButtySugrue View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButtySugrue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Ogbene not in the squad tonight.

Good. Dropped for not squaring the ball I hope
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:10am
Doherty the new scapegoat!

I do agree that his body language sends the wrong message, he's getting on a bit, not playing for his club regularly and playing in a poor team.

I can see JOS making a lot of changes tonight, I would say most players will get a run including Azas.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:22am
It's a pity that Ogbene is out, I think he is crucial to how we play against teams that are better than us (pretty much everyone).

I would like to see some new faces, but not so many that we comprise on the shape we held in the Belgium game.

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Kelleher
Coleman Collins Omo O'Brien Brady (Dead)
     Azaz Cullen Smallbone Szmodics
                     Ferguson

Hodge, Moran and Ebosele on at 60 mins.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:22am
JOS's remit tonight isn't to blood players - It's to get the best result he can which means he'll likely stick to the same formation and also mostly the same players.
I've been happy to wait for the FAI to get the right new manager but this window is still an opportunity missed. We should be trying out new formations, blooding new players etc but there isn't the incentive for JOS to do that.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:28am
Yeah will stick with my Bazunu, Doherty for Coleman, and now either Johnston or Knight in for Ogbene as the only changes.

Edited by J89 - 26 Mar 2024 at 9:28am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:28am
Canham was saying that the games were chosen to increase our rankings.

I think they may have known Belgium and probably the Swiss will play a weakened team increasing our chances of winning these games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:31am
I think every friendly nowadays should be used with that goal in mind.  Wales did something similar when they were in the doldrums.  

Edited by Baldrick - 26 Mar 2024 at 9:31am
AKA pedantic kunt
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:32am
Didn't Wales just stop playing friendlies which somehow improved their rankings. Maybe Serbia too.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:33am
I think Bazunu, O'Brien, Johnston & Doherty will start tonight. Azaz has to get some game time also.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:36am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Didn't Wales just stop playing friendlies which somehow improved their rankings. Maybe Serbia too.
Yes, because of how the rankings used to be calculated that worked in their favour as old results dropped off the calculations. 
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:42am
We played Wales in a friendly in 2013 and then again in March 2017. In that time frame, we played 12 more games than them, bearing in mind they made the semi-final of the Euros.  Very rightly used the ranking system well.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:56am
Ferguson

Azaz--------------Knight

Doherty-------Cullen-----Smallbone------Ebosele

O'Shea-------Collins-------O'Brien

Bazunu

I think he should start both Azaz and O'Brien. Have a proper look at them both. Szmodics has a game with Blackburn on Friday night, so maybe it'd be best to only give him 30-35 minutes in the 2nd half.

I'd start Ferguson again. It's in our best interest that he ends this international window with a goal.

Hopefully Hodge makes his debut at some stage in the 2nd half.

Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 9:58am
Moran and Hodge named in a 26 man squad for tonight anyhow, with Ogbene headed back to Luton injured. Be nice to see Hodge get a run in a position we are absolutely desperate to fill.

Edited by Pinginí - 26 Mar 2024 at 9:58am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:09am
We should really be trialing 4 at the back and looking at other options in midfield - Maybe a diamond with the likes of Johnson and maybe Azaz out wide or possible 4-2-3-1. But unlikely that this happens.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

We should really be trialing 4 at the back and looking at other options in midfield - Maybe a diamond with the likes of Johnson and maybe Azaz out wide or possible 4-2-3-1. But unlikely that this happens.

I don't mind three at the back. We have 6-7 good CB options and most of our FB options are more comfortable at wing back. Manning, Brady, O'Dowda, Doherty and Ebosele. Even Ogbene.

Johnston is unlucky that he doesn't really fit. Unless we play 3-4-3 vs weaker opposition.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:15am
I'd like to see Szmodics as a number 10 tonight rather than being on the left of a 3. It may very well end up as he being our main man for goals rather than Ferguson over the next 5 yrs.  Be interesting how this plays out.

Edited by Trap junior - 26 Mar 2024 at 10:15am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic