Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wasted Irish Internationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
Thomas Morgan
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:30pm
Colin Healy was a huge talent . Shame the way things panned out for him ..
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:41pm
Colin Hawkins is someone I was sure would go on to play for Ireland. 8 U21 caps to his name and ended up a journeyman. One classy and very intelligent player Clap
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:29am
Keith O'Neill surely belongs here. Great midfielder who's career was cut short by injury. What could have being??
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:59am
Stephen Ireland for me, could have been a top player for us until his grandmothers "died"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 1:01am
Good shout.  Has Alan Mahon been mentioned? Was convinced he was going to be top class and he only ended up with 2 caps.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:51am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Keith O'Neill surely belongs here. Great midfielder who's career was cut short by injury. What could have being??

Great player for us and a real pity. I seem to remember him playing up front for us with Quinn, but is a midfielder by trade. He's still only 40 despite having retired from football 14 years ago, sad. 
Rustybedsprings View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 7:27am
Richie Sadlier, promising career cut short by injury. Got one cap vs the USA in the rain pre 2002wc I think?
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
O'Neill didn't track back and mark his man for corner v Macedonia for Euro qualifier in 2000 and they scored in the last seconds.
We would have qualified automatically.
I don't think McCarthy ever forgave him but he did suffer with injuries. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

O'Neill didn't track back and mark his man for corner v Macedonia for Euro qualifier in 2000 and they scored in the last seconds.
I remember the image of Denis Irwin screaming abuse at O'Neill as the ball nestled in the back of the net. As you know Irwin wasnt usually that vocal.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I remember the image of Denis Irwin screaming abuse at O'Neill as the ball nestled in the back of the net. As you know Irwin wasnt usually that vocal.
Probably my worst feeling ever watching a match. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

Richie Sadlier, promising career cut short by injury. Got one cap vs the USA in the rain pre 2002wc I think?

I yhoughtbhis career was cut short because nobody could stand to be around the moaning git
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

I yhoughtbhis career was cut short because nobody could stand to be around the moaning git

I think Sadlier was a fair enough player, but I don't remember anyone being all that excited by him at the time. Maybe he was in the shadow of Robbie somewhat, but he always seemed likely to be a journeyman. Much better journalist than player in my book
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

That and Lineker equalising late versus Poland in 91.

Edited by Gary McKay - 09 Dec 2016 at 12:27pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:28pm

Our own balls up in Poland after being 3-1 up a month before was worse but yeah, a low point alright.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:33pm

Our own balls up in Poland after being 3-1 up a month before was worse but yeah, a low point alright.

1. Rome 1990 lowest of low
2. Gelsenkirchen 1988
3. Brussels 1981
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 1:34pm

We actually conceded a 91 min goal v Croatia too in that group.

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

We actually conceded a 91 min goal v Croatia too in that group.

Got outta jail big time against Malta as well, think Staunton got the winner with 5 minutes left
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic