Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54206
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wasted Irish Internationals
Posted By: Butch
Subject: Wasted Irish Internationals
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:23pm
It's very hard to get your head around the fact that Wes only has 40 odd caps for us . Then I think of Stephen Ireland with less than 10 caps and also Anthony Stokes who also has less than 10 caps . Is there any other players out there that had bags of talent but wasted it ? I
I know Roy will pop up but it's a shame the likes of Stokes and Ireland didn't have the attitude to want to play for their country

Replies:
Posted By: Coleman esque
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:28pm
Damien Delaney

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
I think there are a number of internationals who have lost it, well before their time, and their prime.

Joey O'Brien and Stephen Ireland looked like they had a genuine ability to be mainstays in the Irish team. Injury for the former and attitude for the latter prevented them from being at two European Championships. Both had great ability, and have done well in the PL but I believe have been lost. While Stephen Reid, and Andy Reid made more hay, both didnt make as much as they should. I feel the latter would have had his swansong at this tournament if his form in 2008-2010 had continued.

Kevin Doyle is another. It just seems to have been one snake after another in the past four years. Again, he would have been a prime candidate for a career finishing Euros over the past two weeks.

I also feel that players like Darren Gibson had the ability to be great, but have just not let it play out.

I feel at the Euros if we had had a team with O'Brien, Ireland, A.Reid, Doyle, and Gibson, at their prime, and while playing their best football, it would have greatly enhanced the team.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:49pm
Andy Reid to a degree but his whole career was a let down tbh

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:25pm
David Connolly done very well in Dutch football just never done it in Ireland Jersey for me.

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:30pm
It was through no fault of his own but Rory Delap. It was criminal that Trap wouldn't even call him up for a squad in any friendly.

Posted By: Patrick Jane
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:35pm
If Stokes can hit the score sheet for Blackburn I'd have him in the squad. Still only 27/28. Keane, Murphy and Walters are only getting older/ retiring so we'll need Stokes to resurrect his career

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:39pm
Aiden McGeady for me sadly I'm his biggest supporter but despite having 80 odd caps I still feel his true potential will never be reached not a wasted International but definitely not the completed article. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:58pm
Gerry Peyton and Alan kelly to a lesser extent. Both great keepers whom should have collected more caps than they did anyway

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Gerry Peyton and Alan kelly to a lesser extent. Both great keepers whom should have collected more caps than they did anyway

Probably a little unfair on Alan Kelly. He was the second keeper to Packie Bonner, and was biding his time to become the first choice. Then along came Shay Given, an even better keeper.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Probably a little unfair on Alan Kelly. He was the second keeper to Packie Bonner, and was biding his time to become the first choice. Then along came Shay Given, an even better keeper.

Through no fault of his own I should have said, think he should have gotten more caps than he did. Packie was a childhood hero but was a liability near the end

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:58pm
Alan Kelly should have been number 1 at USA94.

Wim Jonk was in the post for Packie.

Posted By: kopkid
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
John Sheridan, even though we had savage mid field options around his era

Posted By: The Count

Didnt Kelly play the 2 drawn away games to Portugal and Holland on the road to WC 2002?

-------------

Posted By: Bitored
Steven Reid - never fulfilled his promise, entirely due to injury.

Stephen Ireland - was the great white hope for a while. Walked away and his club career has gone to sh*te too.

Aiden McGeady - has been so inconsistent for years now.
In hindsight I'm sure he regrets going to Siberia.

Keith Treacy - undoubtedly a real technically gifted player but seems like he didn't have the mentality to be a top player.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: kopkid
Yep

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:21pm
Dean Kiely. He was one of the best keepers in the prem for a good few years, just unfortunate that given was at his peak at around the same time.

Steve Finnan and Stephen Carr another two that spring to mind.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:27pm
Keith o Neill remember he was awesome in FIFA 2000

Another career ruined by injury

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Didnt Kelly play the 2 drawn away games to Portugal and Holland on the road to WC 2002?

Dunno cudnt even find that on Wikipedia, I can remember nothing from Kelly from after 96

Posted By: An Tiobraideach
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:28pm
Keith O'Neill, as already mentioned.
He was an instant hit when he burst onto the scene,never say die attitude,bags of skill and energy and would go out on a limb.
Unfortunately,literally he did.Could never stay away from injury and ultimately finished off his playing career.

Clinton Morrison and Liam Miller would be others I would mention here.

-------------
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.

Posted By: Salmon of Knowledge
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:35pm
Jack Grealish (!)

Although after tonight's result he might come crawling back to us!

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:37pm
Stephen McPhail and Stephen Elliot. Terry Dixon. Conor Clifford. Thomas Butler. Jack Grealish.

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:45pm
Paul byrne also
ex Celtic had bags of talent .

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:23pm
Stephen McPhail and Colin Healy .

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:50pm
Dean Kiely got too few caps but Shay was in his prime then to be honest

Posted By: MarkBeaumont
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:01am
Owen garvan was supposed to be a great lad and hasnt done much.

Damien delaney

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:19am
Mark Kennedy...had so much potential. Bar that goal against Yugoslavia it was never fulfilled

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:40am
Originally posted by MarkBeaumont MarkBeaumont wrote:

Owen garvan was supposed to be a great lad and hasnt done much.

Given his Pedigree in being a relation of Con Martin and his son Mick Martin it is a great pity.

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:56am
The solid gk of Man Utd back on the 70 s and  early 80 s  dont remember his name   maybe someone ...and that  gk Corrigan fellow who was wating in vain for an irish call up that never happened

at the back  i guess  D. Delaney,  Curtis Flemming was flying the right back right mid role back in the 90's  , Jeff Kenna as well  he was very good and of course the best left back ive seen play in my lifetime...  the former  Liverpool man Jim Beglin

mid  Tony Galvin  first of all  he was  a havoc of a player at his prime.....Stephen Reid .,  Keith Fahey,  Mark Kennedy

forwards   i always thought  that Tommy Coyne should have played for Ireland 4 or 5 years before  that was  BIG JACK MISTAKE ....   , he was very good for EIRE....and keith O'Neill....Michael Robinson retired so early !

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

It was through no fault of his own but Rory Delap. It was criminal that Trap wouldn't even call him up for a squad in any friendly.

Yeap Delap was big and Stoke  and Pulis saved his carrer...should have been called by Trap...il capo did some mistakes back then tbh  with players judging

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:37am
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Yep, and the Estonia game. In fact, there was talk of him signing for Manchester United in 2001 as an emergency signing after Barthez, and Van Der Gouw got injured. For some reason, United signed Andy Goram who was totally unprepared, and Kelly stayed at Blackburn. Perhaps this could have led to him finishing his career at Old Trafford, but that never happened. 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:57am
Originally posted by An Tiobraideach An Tiobraideach wrote:

Keith O'Neill, as already mentioned.
He was an instant hit when he burst onto the scene,never say die attitude,bags of skill and energy and would go out on a limb.
And directly responsible for us not qualifying for Euro2000 when he didnt mark his man in the 92nd minute in Skopje.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:05am
Knew I see something before on Balls.ie about this

http://www.balls.ie/football/unfulfilled-potential-irish-xi/138366" rel="nofollow - http://www.balls.ie/football/unfulfilled-potential-irish-xi/138366

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:02am
I remember travelling through Asia in 2003 and the name Liam Miller popping up that he was going to be a massive star . The Celtic lads that were travelling the continent were livid he was leaving them and hoping Old Trafford . He failed there aswell , maybe pulling out of Park Head at the time he did was a big mistake . Also the Stephen Ireland situation ? What made him leave was it the lads pulling the piss in the dressing room of was it family issues . We will never know what he could have done for us but he seems to show no regret

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I remember travelling through Asia in 2003 and the name Liam Miller popping up that he was going to be a massive star . The Celtic lads that were travelling the continent were livid he was leaving them and hoping Old Trafford . He failed there aswell , maybe pulling out of Park Head at the time he did was a big mistake . Also the Stephen Ireland situation ? What made him leave was it the lads pulling the piss in the dressing room of was it family issues . We will never know what he could have done for us but he seems to show no regret

Stephen Ireland could have been what Hoolahan is now for a generation at the time when he retired he pulled strings in midfield.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
Agree with almost all of these - especially Keith Oneill. We had a number that never got beyond their very early promise, such as Liam George and others from the U18 championship in 98.

Colin Healy had a lot of talent but a lot of bad luck, injuries, etc.

Mark Kennedy was one who could have done anything, but decided to do f**k all instead.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Agree with almost all of these - especially Keith Oneill. We had a number that never got beyond their very early promise, such as Liam George and others from the U18 championship in 98.

Colin Healy had a lot of talent but a lot of bad luck, injuries, etc.

Mark Kennedy was one who could have done anything, but decided to do f**k all instead.

ALways think Richie Partridge could have been a good player for us if it wasn't for injury.

Posted By: manchesterbhoy
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:26pm
Liam Miller had he stayed at celtic and not fecked off to man u, was initially going to Liverpool and Roy found out and took him to OT, watched him for celtic in the champions league and there was a player in there, head turned instead of establishing himself and then making the move, another year at celtic would have made him a better player given the quality there at the time

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 3:48pm
Miller is probably the biggest waster of everyone mentioned, tbh.

-------------

Posted By: mark91
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:27pm
alan kelly: should hav been number 1 for us 94, was number 1 for euro 96 qualifiers and was brilliant, so unlucky that shay came along.
Dean Kiely: terrific keeper, unlucky to be around the same time as shay.
gerry peyton: rumour is it that bonner was picked ahead of him because he was a better kicker, stood in for bonner superbly most memorably in us cup 92 where he put in outstanding performances against portugal and usa.
Phil babb: was brilliant at start of career, his later appearances were mostly forgettable but on his day like against argentina 98 he cud be genuine international class.
Liam o brien: very gifted footballer, showed glimpses of what he cud do over the years, like against wales in 1992 and russia 1994.
alan mcloughlin: an underrated player who was capable of playing in the premier league and who shone under mick mccarthys earlier games.
bernie slaven: a regular scorer at all levels in england, none other than johny giles was calling for him to be picked ahead of john aldridge at once stage.
tommy coyne: hardworking and intelligent footballer who was very sharp in the box.
david kelly: had a brilliant understanding with niall quinn and a good soring record for ireland.

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

He prooved that at Cork City too last season. Clear talent, total waster

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 1:53pm
Stephen Ireland

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

He prooved that at Cork City too last season. Clear talent, total waster

Just seen were he is now.... 
Miller signed with American third-tier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_League" rel="nofollow - United Soccer League side https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_Hammerheads" rel="nofollow - Wilmington Hammerheads on 18 February 2016.

But you can see why he went to United - a huge club and he was reportedly on £40 a week.

Not sure why he didn't kick on after good spells in the championship at leeds and Sunderland.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Paul byrne also

As the thread says, "wasted".  What a talent, but what a waster.  Billy Big Mouth.

He was never actually capped either, so he probably doesn't belong in the thread. LOL

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 3:15pm
Stephen Ireland has to be in Top Spot absolute Clown.

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 3:20pm
Anthony Stokes.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 3:28pm
Only one winner in fairness.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Paul byrne also
As the thread says, "wasted".  What a talent, but what a waster.  Billy Big Mouth.  
Still is a spoofer.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 7:07pm
Not sure if he ever got called into a competitive squad but Tony Sheridan went from hero to zero fairly fast. Likewise Trevor Molloy, bronze medal in the U20 World cup ended up playing for Athlone and Bluebell as a banger I think LOL

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 7:27pm
Both Sheridan and Molloy made waves in the National League. 

Posted By: Nib
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

This. Head and shoulders above anyone else. Such a shame because the boy had serious talent. 

He's the perfect example of players getting paid too much, he's done fcuk all in the game but he'll live out his days a wealthy man.

Posted By: de scientist
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 12:48am
Darren Gibson

Liam Miller

Anthony Stokes

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:00pm
Paul mcgrath

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Paul mcgrath
He made nearly 500 club appearances over his career.  Perhaps he underachieved at Man U, but it's hard to argue that he could have done much better than he did with Ireland.  83 caps, two WC's and a Euros. He was arguably the most influential player of the Charlton era.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:48pm

Paul mcgrath

Edit ... MC Shane

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:49pm
I doubt Steven Ireland sees his career as wasted. He's been a Premier League player for the best part of ten years. The fact he clearly doesn't want to play international football doesn't mean he's wasted his talent or career (even if he has never reached those City heights again).

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:50pm
Would Steve Heighway fit into this category?

Too young to have seen him play, but my Da always said he was some player.
34 caps and 0 goals hardly backs that up.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Heighway was a brilliant winger for us. 34 caps was not a bad haul given the factors of the day.
We didn't make major championships and there was not as many friendlies. End of season tours were often for kids and LOI players.
The qualifying groups were generally smaller and we sometimes only played 6 qualifying games.

His record at Liverpool is a very big bag of medals.

ETA: in the '74 and '78 WC qualifiers we were in 3 team groups, only playing 4 qualifying games.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Heighway was a brilliant winger for us. 34 caps was not a bad haul given the factors of the day.
We didn't make major championships and there was not as many friendlies. End of season tours were often for kids and LOI players.
The qualifying groups were generally smaller and we sometimes only played 6 qualifying games.

ETA: in the '74 and '78 WC qualifiers we were in 3 team groups, only playing 4 qualifying games.

Yep different these days back then there was no minnows like there are now

1974 Qualfiers we had France and Soviet Union
France and Bulgaria for 78

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 3:35pm
Darron Gibson

Lousy attitude and seems like a general all round dope.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:21pm

Paul mcgrath
He made nearly 500 club appearances over his career.  Perhaps he underachieved at Man U, but it's hard to argue that he could have done much better than he did with Ireland.  83 caps, two WC's and a Euros. He was arguably the most influential player of the Charlton era.

Read the thread title again 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:34pm

LOL, how is that "wasted"???  Was clearly wasteful in front of goal, but I think the thread might be in terms of wasted talent possibly?  LOL

Heighway was a very good player for us apart from his goal famine.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:47pm
Didn't Heighway score  a very famous goal in Sofia but the ref fancied keeping the rolex?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:48pm

Jesus Christ !!!

Giles-Brady-Heighway only three World Class players we had in the 70s.

Played as a second striker at Liverpool alot, especially away from home whereas for Eire (as we were called then) he stuck to the wing. Tore the French apart for Giles's disallowed goal in Paris.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Didn't Heighway score  a very famous goal in Sofia but the ref fancied keeping the rolex?

Was it not the two Govt sponsored brazzers the night before ?

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:52pm
I remember the auld lad going on about Heighway. Had mighty time for him.

Never heard of him being described as world class though. Was he? 

Had Heighway a serious injury and had to stop playing international football?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 4:58pm
Never mind, wasted probably the wrong word I was looking for.

But the way my Da speaks of him, I expected him to have at least scored a goal for his country before.

As I said, was just enquiring, it was before my time.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:37pm
Aside from the usual Gibson, Ireland, Stokes etc...

Andy Reid, he had it in him to be a top footballer but never had the right attitude with his weight and fitness issues. Came across as lazy and up for sesh more so than a bit of hard work.

I know he had his injuries, and maybe im being slightly harsh but he had some amount of raw talent and just never really applied it.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Aside from the usual Gibson, Ireland, Stokes etc...

Andy Reid, he had it in him to be a top footballer but never had the right attitude with his weight and fitness issues. Came across as lazy and up for sesh more so than a bit of hard work.

I know he had his injuries, and maybe im being slightly harsh but he had some amount of raw talent and just never really applied it.

Is This last paragraph about his football career or music career ?

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:27pm
Mark kelly

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:33pm
A lot of players listed above is debatable to be honest. Some carved our long careers ahead of themselves and some are still playing too, whilst others have had their careers stifled by injuries.

Therefore I nominate Micheal Keane.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:41pm
Never fully capped horsebox.....but I remember seeing him play for pats when he was probably 2 stone overweight and he was still miles ahead of everyone on the pitch....by all accounts he's a bit of a waster off the pitch aswell,in the Paul Byrne mould

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:11am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

He does take the top spot in goals per game ratio for Ireland, 4 in 6 is pretty impressive LOL

Still only 30, and regardless of his international ''career'' , was finished as a top level footballer at 24. Fair enough, has made 100 appearances in the decade since he left Man City, which itself is a poor return for the talent he had. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:54am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

A lot of players listed above is debatable to be honest. Some carved our long careers ahead of themselves and some are still playing too, whilst others have had their careers stifled by injuries.

now delivers pizza.

Pats had to pay him out of a rumoured €3k a week contract for two years after we sacked him for being overweight.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:38am
Unfortunately never fully capped, but Willo Flood.
What a huge talent that never fullfilled his promise.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:55pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

now delivers pizza.

Pats had to pay him out of a rumoured €3k a week contract for two years after we sacked him for being overweight.

Yes I know.
Which is why I nominated him.

Gibson, Ireland, Miller - all these lads have all made careers for themselves and are very wealthy.

Keane on the other hand was a promising player who threw it all away.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:01pm
Tony Sheridan - without doubt the most naturally talented player to play in LOI. Played in the Premier League for Coventry in early 90's. Another one who messed things up for himself.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Tony Sheridan - without doubt the most naturally talented player to play in LOI. Played in the Premier League for Coventry in early 90's. Another one who messed things up for himself.

He was a serious talent alright. 

I see him training Terenure Rangers underage lads in Bushy park sometimes. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:19pm
Paddy 'Howya Alex' Lee !!!

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:25pm
Probably being a little harsh because he was very unlucky at various stages, but Keith Fahey to an extent. Probably one of the best passers of a ball we've had over the last decade. Personal problems prevented him from knocking on to the next level.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:26pm
Graham Geraghty could have been huge for us. I think Fergie mentioned his fitness in his book, doing push ups with Steve Bruce on his back. Under Water.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:46pm
Keith Fahey had a huge amount of ability, but was unlucky
He was never capped at senior level, but Conor Henderson had a boat load of ability. Ran the show against Italy U21s in 2012 and scored a screamer. Injuries and maybe some distractions will probably see him play out his career in the conference.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Paddy 'Howya Alex' Lee !!!

LOL

Poor oul Paddy. What a player he was. Given that his pro career was basically non existent after 21/22, he is a contender for biggest waste of talent. At the very least, he could have had a great LOI career. He has no international caps though so doesnt really belong in this thread. 

He's a gas character but it's sad that he never really bounced back from his spell in the UK. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 2:46pm
It really is a pity Keith Fahey didn't play more for us and though he's playing now, we've lost a good 5 years of having Hoolahan in the team when he deserved to be in it. Not really his fault though but wasted in an overall sense rather than through his own actions.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 3:43pm
Barry Quinn capped by McCarthy only made four appearances for Eire, but looked a promising midfielder at Coventry.
Think he might have got a bad injury that put him down the international pecking order.

One of Brian Kerr's golden generation.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:00pm

...and he destroyed England in 1976 @ Wembley...DESTROYED THEM......Best winger of a generation..Too young to have seen him in the flesh...but if you speak to any Scouser or Borussia they'll tell ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SywwKMHY0" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SywwKMHY0

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

...and he destroyed England in 1976 @ Wembley...DESTROYED THEM......Best winger of a generation..Too young to have seen him in the flesh...but if you speak to any Scouser or Borussia they'll tell ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SywwKMHY0" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SywwKMHY0

Stevie Highway on the wing, we had dreams and songs to sing.....!!

Was before my time also - Have met him at the Liverpool Academy a few year back and was a sound fella. Have only seen him play on films of old games but he looked a proper old skool winger. 

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Graham Geraghty could have been huge for us. I think Fergie mentioned his fitness in his book, doing push ups with Steve Bruce on his back. Under Water.

But wasn't Geraghty at Arsenal where Paul Merson said he was the fittest player he ever saw ?

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 5:16pm
Wes Hoolahan - wasted in the sense that Trap wasted his best years for us, in a time where our midfield screamed out for someone of his technical ability. 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 6:05pm

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
Thomas Morgan

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:30pm
Colin Healy was a huge talent . Shame the way things panned out for him ..

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:41pm
Colin Hawkins is someone I was sure would go on to play for Ireland. 8 U21 caps to his name and ended up a journeyman. One classy and very intelligent player Clap

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:29am
Keith O'Neill surely belongs here. Great midfielder who's career was cut short by injury. What could have being??

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:59am
Stephen Ireland for me, could have been a top player for us until his grandmothers "died"

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 1:01am
Good shout.  Has Alan Mahon been mentioned? Was convinced he was going to be top class and he only ended up with 2 caps.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:51am

Keith O'Neill surely belongs here. Great midfielder who's career was cut short by injury. What could have being??

Great player for us and a real pity. I seem to remember him playing up front for us with Quinn, but is a midfielder by trade. He's still only 40 despite having retired from football 14 years ago, sad. 

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 7:27am
Richie Sadlier, promising career cut short by injury. Got one cap vs the USA in the rain pre 2002wc I think?

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
O'Neill didn't track back and mark his man for corner v Macedonia for Euro qualifier in 2000 and they scored in the last seconds.
We would have qualified automatically.
I don't think McCarthy ever forgave him but he did suffer with injuries. 

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

O'Neill didn't track back and mark his man for corner v Macedonia for Euro qualifier in 2000 and they scored in the last seconds.
We would have qualified automatically.
I don't think McCarthy ever forgave him but he did suffer with injuries. 
I remember the image of Denis Irwin screaming abuse at O'Neill as the ball nestled in the back of the net. As you know Irwin wasnt usually that vocal.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net