Wasted Irish Internationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Was talking to a lad who was with Ireland at City and Ireland underage teams . He was bullied off the team by senior players .
This was common knowledge at the time, over 9 years ago.

Lads held him down and Stephen Hunt pulled his hair. Stephen Manchester went crying to teacher.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Rustybedsprings Rustybedsprings wrote:

Jon Macken, waste of a cap really

Liam Daish also made five caps.

One that got away for me was Mike Milligan had a cracking few seasons with Oldham but found it hard to break into the Irish setup.
Only one won cap and also a B cap but did play fro our U21s & U23s.

But Bernie Slaven has to be the worst arrived for a match against Wales,scored and ended up in the 1990 WC squad - made 7 apps in total.
More embarrassing than wasted.
It was like Jack just fished him out of Middlesboro.Embarrassed
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

Stephen Ireland has to be ought and ought winner of the "Wasted Talent Award".What really happened to him, was it something to do with Hair plugs?

Was talking to a lad who was with Ireland at City and Ireland underage teams . He was bullied off the team by senior players .

Which Senior players, I did hear that Stephen Hunt was a **** to him
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Alan McLoughlin, 2 goals in 42 very poor return all things considered. 

Similar record to McAteer from what I recall and scored a goal to secure World Cup qualification! He's a legend!

1st Irish player to make me cry tears of joy!
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:49pm
Alan McLoughlin, 2 goals in 42 very poor return all things considered. 
Rustybedsprings View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:07pm
Jon Macken, waste of a cap really
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
wasn't that car auctioned for a breast cancer charity?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:20pm
A man with refined tastes for sure:

DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

whatever but there is something wrong with him and his football  performances now he is frozen out  ....he is  without a kick for at least 6 months or so
Could be down the fact that he has been out injured with a broken leg for the past year....
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:32pm
whatever but there is something wrong with him and his football  performances now he is frozen out  ....he is  without a kick for at least 6 months or so
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by RayHoughton RayHoughton wrote:

Stephen Ireland has to be ought and ought winner of the "Wasted Talent Award".What really happened to him, was it something to do with Hair plugs?

RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:15pm

George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Dunno if its been said on here but the one that always sticks with me is that Steven Reid ought to have added significantly more to his 23 caps

a real shame but not his fault. his career was shredded by injuries

Was a good pro and a very good player with a foot like a traction engine.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:58pm

I think Stephen Ireland has to go down as one of our most wasted Internationals. Had all the tools to be a very good player but it was a pity about his character.

Of the current bunch I think Anthony Pilkington is a little wasted. Always thought he was a useful player but it's a pity he gets injured so often. Special mention also to Darron Gibson who deserves a swift kick in the nuts for his all-round attitude.

Edited by grannyrule - 08 Jan 2017 at 4:06pm
The only way is up
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:54pm
Liverpool's Ben Woodburn seems to be the Welsh Jack Grealish. Under 15,16, 17 and 19 caps for Wales. England currently trying to persuade him to jump ship to them. He also only has one Welsh grandparent as opposed to Grealish's three Irish. I can't see this ending well for Wales.

I thought this was the best place to put this as someone seems to have accidentally deleted Jack's mammoth 244 page thread. Smile
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 10:17pm
Dunno if its been said on here but the one that always sticks with me is that Steven Reid ought to have added significantly more to his 23 caps
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:15pm
Cheers, seems like quite a character. Nice to be able to put a face to a name.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 9:33pm
Tommy Smyth with a 'Y', he is from Louth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic