FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA VS FAI thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 2:25am
It would make sense for the GAA to open up to soccer, they'd make a rake of money.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Sponsored Links

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:17am
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

GAA is f**king sh*te. You only have to look at what they do for 'training' to see how sh*te it is. They just hoof the ball back and forward to each other to practice kicking and catching and do endless handpassing drills. Absolute muck.

You're comparing an amateur sport v a professional sport. There is a great amount of skill involved in Gaelic football as there is in hurling. Don't be pathetic.

schillaci View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:08pm
GAA is f**king sh*te. You only have to look at what they do for 'training' to see how sh*te it is. They just hoof the ball back and forward to each other to practice kicking and catching and do endless handpassing drills. Absolute muck.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 5:10pm
The GAA is the establishment sporting organisation in this country not rugby, athletics, soccer, rowing etc. All given massive grants, plots of land etc. 

So it's no surprise that even your bog standard average GAA club would have better facilities than a lot of the top soccer teams in certain counties. 

I'm not asking my local GAA club to give my team discount on beers in the clubhouse, the use of their players gym etc. But to allow us use of half the senior pitch and floodlights for an hour a week during the off season, which we would pay them handsomely for. 

TBF Carlow Rugby Club have allowed numerous soccer clubs use of their pitches and facilities Clap

We're blessed we have Carlow IT on our doorstep, they have some of the best soccer facilities in the country but to train there for 3 hours a week it's costing €160. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 4:40pm
I never had an issue with this as a child or teenager and  I played Rugby, GAA, football the later of the two I played at a high standard. 

I come from a small rural community our GAA club and football club work hand in hand, most in the club would of played for the soccer club. The issue seems to keep popping up, I always found those at the head of rugby clubs the easiest to work with. Football and GAA feel they are at war with each other competing for the attendance of players we're a fairly small country, both sports are played at different times too! It's not hard for the coaches of the local clubs to agree a training schedule together taking into account players need to study for exams, and they'll also have school training I know in our school we'd of trained at 7am so fellas could of got back home for the GAA training or football. 

GAA attendances are dropping for various reasons, prices mainly.. it is an amateur sport, it is part of the admiration for the game it is also possibly the last true sport played purely for the love of it however the GAA seem adamant to continue to hike up prices, thats before taking into account the unfair distribution of money throughout the counties, clubs. Mayo should receive as much for their hurling as Kilkenny does and Waterford the same amount of funding as the Dublin footballers get, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  

This nonsense of not letting football clubs use facilities has to change also, purely end up hating Gaelic football and the GAA due to it, Rugby clubs throughout the country rent their facilities to all sports even in a unionist areas you will find a GAA club using a their local rugby clubs facilities if they don't have them. 

Surely a common sense approach fixes, and irons out all these issues. If not I only see the support of GAA declining slowly as time goes on, rugby is starting to be introduced into catholic grammar schools up north now too 3 sports to pick from and two are war with each other. Stupid.

Edited by SByrne24 - 21 Oct 2016 at 4:43pm
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:35am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

And if the GAA clubs are struggling why from their perspective should they help out the thriving soccer clubs?
Money.

The point is that GAA clubs aren't even allowed make a decision after weighing up the pros and cons due to the policy of the organisation, which is happy to make money on Croke Park, especially since there will be less and less central funding.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:32am

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html

About time they're getting a taste of their own medicine

I've noticed a rapid decline at adult level in my own club over the last few years, at one stage around 2011 or 2012 my village club had a Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior C team competing in Championship football. 

There's only a struggling Senior team and a bog standard Junior A team now.

Lads are walking away from Gaelic football in the locality in their droves, I myself was a very passionate club man but from seeing the politics, the clan mentality, the blatant pull on team selections on match days etc I had to walk away from it. The fact the GAA club's field and floodlights are rarely used from October to March to point blank refuse to allow many of it's members who happen to play for the local soccer team to even use it one night a week while getting well paid for it, just burnt all bridges with me and that GAA club. 

There is genuine fear down the country about soccer taking over, you can see it first in hand in Carlow Town and just over the bridge in Laois how big these soccer clubs are growing and you have established GAA clubs like Graiguecullen, The Blues etc really struggling to get even 15 boys up training of a summers evening. 

Yet my own soccer club between two teams would have minimum 25+ a night training mid week in Winter. 

And if the GAA clubs are struggling why from their perspective should they help out the thriving soccer clubs?

Firstly, my local GAA club owes massive money so they are deep in debt. So they should be looking at ways of making an income in the off season.

Secondly, the soccer team I manage (myself included) have about 14/15 members of this Gaa club from a panel of 20 players.

Thirdly, it's self inflicted as to why the Gaa club are losing players at an alarming rate due to the clan mentality in it currently. This isn't our fault as a soccer club. I would actually communicate with the local GAA club in regard to training and match days no bother to help ease the problem of lads wanting to play both sports.

So it's not as if we're being the impossible ones to deal with here.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Some amount of tin foil hats here

Rule 42 is a conspiracy theory?

Rule 42 should be scrapped in my opinion

I was referring to the posts accusing the GAA of fixing games to clash with junior football games.

Hold up a second.

I never once said the GAA deliberately fixed the under 21 game to disrupt the soccer, I said no harm they actually put a bit of thought into their logic for playing a first round fixture on an early Sunday afternoon.

Would it not tweak with the person who does out fixtures that many young lads play soccer on Sundays is my point.

Just a bit of simple logic and communication would go a long long way at local level between various sports codes.

So why don't the soccer club open the lines of communication with the local GAA club?
Probably because they're about as open to negotiation as ISIS are

LOL

While this might be a little harsh on some of the more progressive GAA clubs my own experience of dealing with them is that, for many, the sense of entitlement and 'grab all' mentality is still alive and well.

''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:03am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html

I've noticed a rapid decline at adult level in my own club over the last few years, at one stage around 2011 or 2012 my village club had a Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior C team competing in Championship football. 

Lads are walking away from Gaelic football in the locality in their droves, I myself was a very passionate club man but from seeing the politics, the clan mentality, the blatant pull on team selections on match days etc I had to walk away from it. The fact the GAA club's field and floodlights are rarely used from October to March to point blank refuse to allow many of it's members who happen to play for the local soccer team to even use it one night a week while getting well paid for it, just burnt all bridges with me and that GAA club. 

There is genuine fear down the country about soccer taking over, you can see it first in hand in Carlow Town and just over the bridge in Laois how big these soccer clubs are growing and you have established GAA clubs like Graiguecullen, The Blues etc really struggling to get even 15 boys up training of a summers evening. 

Yet my own soccer club between two teams would have minimum 25+ a night training mid week in Winter. 

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:37am

Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:49pm

Edited by Doyler1993 - 20 Oct 2016 at 11:51pm
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:42pm

Of course I read it, the third paragraph said that a Limerick club let a soccer team use their facilities and also hosted a rugby blitz.

I merely pointed out that you were wrong in saying that no sharing goes on outside of Dublin.

And they got lashed out of it for doing so.

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity
Because the underlying reasons for the blanket rule is sporting apartheid. They took huge state support other sports were denied and then used that artificial advantage to try and drive other sports under.

If an individual club wants to rent to another sport they should be allowed. If they chose not to they should be allowed. But why Croke Park do not allow them to make decisions of this nature while reserving the right to do it is the question you should be asking.

Edited by roverstillidie - 20 Oct 2016 at 5:03pm
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:41pm

Of course I read it, the third paragraph said that a Limerick club let a soccer team use their facilities and also hosted a rugby blitz.

I merely pointed out that you were wrong in saying that no sharing goes on outside of Dublin.

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity.
You're right, it's not and they don't have to. What people are saying is that they should, especially during the winter months and make a few bob for themselves whilst giving other sports some good facilities to train or play on. Running a GAA club is an expensive business so wouldn't it be great to be able to make some extra income from renting out their astro facilities or the likes and using the money to help run the clubs?
Some people just deserve a slap
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity.

Edited by cm79 - 20 Oct 2016 at 4:08pm
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm

My local GAA club refuses point blank to let us use their facilities even one evening a week during the winter despite my soccer club offering to pay a hefty fee to use them.

Never mind the fact our soccer club has a massive amount of members belonging to Gaa club....

The GAA club have a massive debt but yet wont entertain the idea of getting extra income from allowing our soccer club to train there.

[/QUOTE]
They would be breaking the rules of their own association if they did so and would liable for a fine. I believe a GAA club in Longford received a fine of approx €3,000 recently so this would do little to help your GAA's club financial situation.

I agree that the rule is draconian and should be amended but you can hardly blame your local GAA club for merely complying a rule it's obliged to uphold.
[/QUOTE]
I think that was for allowing a Jamie Carragher Summer Camp be played on their astro, near sure he paid the fine for them afterwards? In fairness there's dozens of clubs allowing their facilities to be used for non-GAA sports and have been for years
Some people just deserve a slap
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm
Did you read the link? It completely proves my point. Grassroots GAA units cannot rent their facilities to 'foreign games' whereas the GAA can rent Croke Park out if and when they want.
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I know plenty of GAA clubs who allow the use of their facilities for soccer purposes. It occurs regularly in regards to Astroturf pitches and 5-a side.
In direct violation of the GAA's rules

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

You also see GAA clubs and Soccer clubs putting in joint bids in for rounds of the sports capital grant programme. For instance in 2012 Fingal County Council, O'Dwyers GAA club and Balbriggan F.C. received €120,000 for the construction of an all-weather facility.

And Dalkey FC and Cuala share. We all agree this is good. But its a new GAA club with no land on an existing football facility in Dalkey and public land in Balbriggan. None of this sharing happens on their land or outside Dublin.
Wrong again

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm

Really???

I must have dreamt being at rugby and soccer football matches in Croke Park then.

This was a once off deal. Huge argument in the GAA as to why Croker can cash in but local clubs can't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic