URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=34219
Printed Date: 06 May 2024 at 12:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: GAA VS FAI thread
Posted By: roverstillidie
Subject: GAA VS FAI thread
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

The size of the organisation and the people at the top who run it.

That makes no sense. The FAI have multiples of the staff the GAA do.

You are drowning here.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Replies:
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

youve been comparing the Presidents who has no managerial function in the GAA. Are you GF in disguise?

Christ. I'll type it slowly.

You made the statement, with no backup whatosever, that JD earns more than the CEO's of the IRFU and GAA. You have pointedly refused to back that up with any links.

I pointed out that if the Gah were paying their President 158k a year, they were highly unlikely to be paying their CEO less. 

Long and short of it, the supposedly corrupt FAI are far more transparent than the GAA and IRFU. 

-------------

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by JimmyG JimmyG wrote:

I banned myself from this thread for a month and although I am technically breaching this ban I thought it might help everyone here to see a few comparative figures for the GAA and FAI

Year 2010

GAA                      FAI

Total revenue       €58m                      €39.3

Admin Cost          €8.12m [14%]        €8.95 [23%]

Thanks for the first turnover figures, is there anyway you can get the corresponding figures for 2000.

This would be a good starting point for a debate on weather Delaney has contributed to a massive increase in revenues or not.

As has been said the GAA figures includes all ticket sales from the All Ireland and All Ireland Leagues, so it kind of disorts the figures.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: JimmyG
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:52am

I have looked at your posts GF and you are a great man for asking questions which are phrased in a certain way to convey the impression that the unknown answers would lead to conclusions supporting your particular viewpoint.  If you have the answers to these questions please publish them and let us all draw our own conclusions.

As regards you specific query to me I do not have the comparative figures for 2000.  I would be surprised however if the comparative figures for both organizations do not show a huge increase in that 10/11 year period including huge increases in commercial and TV income.  Anyway, you can use figures to argue almost any position.  For instance if I wanted to argue that either the GAA or FAI was mismanaged in 2010 compared to 2009 I could cite the big drop in revenue experienced by both organizations as follows [I have added their respective explanation for the sake of clarity]

FAI

2010                                           2009 

Turnover                                       39,313,050                              50,015,254

Overall our turnover was €39.3m. As highlighted in last year’s annual report 2009 saw the Association generate a record turnover on the back of two high profile and commercially attractive home competitive fixtures with Italy and France. In particular the additional television income achieved in 2009 on the back of those games was not replicated in 2010. The tough economic times experienced in Ireland in 2010 combined with the lower number of home competitive matches also contributed greatly to this year on year decrease in turnover.

GAA

Turnover                                          58,015,244                       67,700,229

Despite the challenging economic conditions, the GAA announced revenues of €58m, down from €68m in 2009, which can, in the main, be attributed to a drop in revenue of €9m (from €13m down to €4m) from the rental of Croke Park to the FAI and the IRFU.

The reason I quoted revenue figures in my previous post was to give some objective measurement of the relative size of each organisation and how much they are spending on admin.  The point has been made that the GAA figures include gate receipts.  This is true and the figure is just over €25m.  I would assume that that the admin cost quoted also includes costs associated with all the matches for which gate receipts are included.  The FAI figures also include gate receipts although I have been unable to determine the exact amount from published material.

As another measure of relative size the GAA annual report for 2010 says it has 2,272 affiliated clubs in Ireland [32 counties I assume] plus another 343 abroad including Britain.  According to an unofficial website there are 707 soccer clubs in Ireland.  

-------------
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:35am

I have looked at your posts GF and you are a great man for asking questions which are phrased in a certain way to convey the impression that the unknown answers would lead to conclusions supporting your particular viewpoint.  If you have the answers to these questions please publish them and let us all draw our own conclusions.

As regards you specific query to me I do not have the comparative figures for 2000.  I would be surprised however if the comparative figures for both organizations do not show a huge increase in that 10/11 year period including huge increases in commercial and TV income.  Anyway, you can use figures to argue almost any position.  For instance if I wanted to argue that either the GAA or FAI was mismanaged in 2010 compared to 2009 I could cite the big drop in revenue experienced by both organizations as follows [I have added their respective explanation for the sake of clarity]

FAI

Turnover                                       39,313,050                              50,015,254

Overall our turnover was €39.3m. As highlighted in last year’s annual report 2009 saw the Association generate a record turnover on the back of two high profile and commercially attractive home competitive fixtures with Italy and France. In particular the additional television income achieved in 2009 on the back of those games was not replicated in 2010. The tough economic times experienced in Ireland in 2010 combined with the lower number of home competitive matches also contributed greatly to this year on year decrease in turnover.

GAA

Turnover                                          58,015,244                       67,700,229

Despite the challenging economic conditions, the GAA announced revenues of €58m, down from €68m in 2009, which can, in the main, be attributed to a drop in revenue of €9m (from €13m down to €4m) from the rental of Croke Park to the FAI and the IRFU.

The reason I quoted revenue figures in my previous post was to give some objective measurement of the relative size of each organisation and how much they are spending on admin.  The point has been made that the GAA figures include gate receipts.  This is true and the figure is just over €25m.  I would assume that that the admin cost quoted also includes costs associated with all the matches for which gate receipts are included.  The FAI figures also include gate receipts although I have been unable to determine the exact amount from published material.

As another measure of relative size the GAA annual report for 2010 says it has 2,272 affiliated clubs in Ireland [32 counties I assume] plus another 343 abroad including Britain.  According to an unofficial website there are 707 soccer clubs in Ireland.  

But you aren't comparing like with like. The GAA is highly centralised and runs all games and the merchandising. The FAI don't. What you need to compare is the turnover of all units - clubs and representitive sizes, which would be an impossible excercise.

There are far more professional administrators and Development officers involved in football than the GAA, so you shot yourself in the foot on that point.

There probably almost 707 clubs in Dublin, never mind the country. 500 applied for floodlight grants ffs. Although it is puzzling that the FAI don't have this statistic to hand.

http://www.sharedaccess.com/_resources/189435_low.pdf - http://www.sharedaccess.com/_resources/189435_low.pdf

If you think there are 343 GAA clubs overseas I have a bridge to sell you.

-------------

Posted By: Tiocfaidh Armani
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:13am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Have a read of that...

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/overseas/Overseas_Booklet_100110233815.pdf - http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/overseas/Overseas_Booklet_100110233815.pdf

Quote But you aren't comparing like with like. The GAA is highly centralised and runs all games and the merchandising.

The GAA itself get a tiny percentage of the sales from O'Neills merchandise. A hell of a lot less than the FAI would get from Umbro for international jersey sales.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:40am

[QUOTE=JimmyG]

But you aren't comparing like with like. The GAA is highly centralised and runs all games and the merchandising. The FAI don't. What you need to compare is the turnover of all units - clubs and representitive sizes, which would be an impossible excercise.

This is not so.  County Boards run County Championships and other local competitions at all levels.  Each club and county does its own merchandising and sponsorship deals.

There are far more professional administrators and Development officers involved in football than the GAA, so you shot yourself in the foot on that point.

Do you have any objective evidence to support this statement.

There probably almost 707 clubs in Dublin, never mind the country. 500 applied for floodlight grants ffs. Although it is puzzling that the FAI don't have this statistic to hand.

Lovely word probably - I do not know the fifure and I made it clear it was taken from an unofficial website.

Here are the figures from the GAA annual report but I suppose you won't believe that either

an bhreatain

Londain 31

Hertfordshire 7

Warwickshire 17

Gloucestershire 5

Lanacashire 11

Yorkshire 8

Scotland 5

timpeall na cruinne

An Eoraip 51

Nua Eabhrach 41

Bord Meiriceá Thuaidh 77

Canada 15

An Astráil 51

An Áis 24

This thread is not about a competition between the GAA and FAI.  If it was we would have to start talking about stadia like Croke Park, Semple Stadium, Pairc ui Chaoimh, Fitzgerald Stadium etc or perhaps their debt to revenue ratio's.  The discussion was about relative size and the cost of administration and in particular the cost of the CEO.  Regardless of where it comes from the GAA has a considerably larger annual turnover than the FAI and its relative administrative costs are considerably less.  I do not have figures for the GAA Ard Stiurathoir's salary or the IRFU ceo but I think it is generally accepted they are considerably below that of JD.

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:46am

moving the stuff to here

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:47am
Good shout milla- has absolutely wrecked the delaney thread

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 11:56am

FAI

GAA

Ido not know the answers to the questions, but it is a basis IMO for judging the performance of the FAI.

I know for a fact that huge improvements have been made to the coaching structures and in the provision of facilities for junior and schoolboy clubs etc. This can not be denied but is conveniently ignored by many whos only interest is tickets for matches they want to go to.

What I really would like to know is how the FAI compares to the GAA and the IRFU in these areas, as they have also made great improvements.

Has the FAI done better or worse that the other sporting bodies - I honestly believe this is a valid question and anyone with a genuine interest in the game as against just supporting the national team would also like to know.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:02pm
Couldn't agree more with you GF.  I would love to have the answers to all these questions.  Actually I think the FAI and the GAA and the IRFU could all probably learn from each other in certain ways as neither has a momopoly on right or wrong.  I personally have no axe to grind in this regard.  My contribution was in the context of an exchange of views about our esteemed CEO but it seems these comments were not considered relevant in that context and we were booted out to a seperate thread.  Probably time to close this thread.

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:06pm
Maybe, no doubt Delaney earns more than probaly the other 2 put together.

At least we agree it would be great to see a comparison of the organisations in some of the areas we have pointed out and than the improvements in say the last 10 years, and see which organisation is doing best in terms of growth, provision of training facilities and coaching etc etc

Maybe GerK could get the Star to do a bit of research in this area.

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:13pm
Both ****s. The fai less so.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:56pm

You are drowning here.
Nothing makes sense to you when you don't agree with it.

You only have to look around at every community in the country to compare the local GAA and soccer club. The GAA club will invariably have a couple of pitches of their own accompanied by a big clubhouse, bar among more facilities, whereas soccer players are lucky to have anywhere to get changed in and often rent facilities to train in etc. That is because more people are involved with GAA in each community and collectively build the community around it - i've seen this from playing both codes for years. You mightn't want to accept this but it's the truth.

The amount of soccer clubs is tiny when compared to GAA clubs. 57% of all matches attended in Ireland are GAA, compared to 16% for soccer. That difference in figures dwarves the difference in participation figures you gave earlier. There are far more people involved in running the GAA than the FAI, whether they are employed are voluntarily.

If i'm drowning here you're at the bottom of the ocean.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Tiocfaidh Armani
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:56pm
The GAA's turnover for a domestic game is superb and they deserve great credit for that. They built the fourth biggest stadium in Europe without the help of another association and have paid it off in full. They may run an amateur sport but they run it professionally.

The GAA do not run the merchandising for all the GAA. They get a small cut for the use of their trademarked GAA logo but it's the county boards to run their own merchandise. Look at how come counties have reverted to Azzuri. If merchandise was centurally controlled you wouldn't have different counties going with different suppliers.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:24pm

You are drowning here.
Nothing makes sense to you when you don't agree with it.

You only have to look around at every community in the country to compare the local GAA and soccer club. The GAA club will invariably have a couple of pitches of their own accompanied by a big clubhouse, bar among more facilities, whereas soccer players are lucky to have anywhere to get changed in and often rent facilities to train in etc. That is because more people are involved with GAA in each community and collectively build the community around it - i've seen this from playing both codes for years. You mightn't want to accept this but it's the truth.

The amount of soccer clubs is tiny when compared to GAA clubs. 57% of all matches attended in Ireland are GAA, compared to 16% for soccer. That difference in figures dwarves the difference in participation figures you gave earlier. There are far more people involved in running the GAA than the FAI, whether they are employed are voluntarily.

If i'm drowning here you're at the bottom of the ocean.

nothing to do with a discriminatory grant system over the decades favouring the "indigenous games"??

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 1:29pm
Boring aul topic but good article by Dan McDonnell of the Indo. You could also apply it to the LOI v FAI v EPL debate.

THE Catholic Church has suffered a fair bit of shame and embarrassment in the last couple of decades but, even in the darkest days, you wouldn't hear commentators speculating that it could be good news for Judaism or Protestantism or the Jedis or whatever you're having yourself.

It is curious, however, that in this supposedly sports-mad country, where the devotion of fans is frequently caked in religious language, there is a natural assumption that one sport's misfortune is immediately another's opportunity.

The beauty of timing placed this year's All- http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ireland  hurling final between  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Ireland's  fateful World Cup double header with  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Sweden_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - Sweden  and Austria.

When Clare and Cork served up a classic, there was no shortage of experts queueing up to unflatteringly compare it to the frustration and lethargy of the loss to Sweden at the  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Aviva_Stadium" rel="nofollow - Aviva Stadium  48 hours earlier.

OVERPAID

In the RTE studio, Liam Sheedy could barely contain himself, sniffily drawing a comparison with the fare served up by the 'overpaid' footballers in the Swedish encounter.

This is a familiar theme, a boring old chestnut. On radio a few weeks back, in the midst of the understandable euphoria following the Dublin-Kerry thriller, Ray Silke saw fit to refer to the low-scoring  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Barclays_Premier_League" rel="nofollow - Premier League  fixtures in the preceding 24 hours as though this was somehow landing a jab.

It's a strange mindset. With the GAA continuing to sell out their marquee games and the hurling replay set to net the association a further €2.7m, there is a bizarre insecurity about the temptation to give other codes a dig in the ribs – and it's generally 'the soccer' – in the afterglow of a superb http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Croke_Park" rel="nofollow - Croker  afternoon.

What are they so worried about? The wages in football are obscene of course, but the sport is swimming in cash because of television revenue and that's because people the world all over want to watch the Premier League.

Hurling is still a minority pastime in large parts of Ireland. There are a few more bridges to cross before it conquers  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Bangkok" rel="nofollow - Bangkok .

In all seriousness, though, it is an absolute nonsense to theorise that the exploits of hurling's best practitioners could somehow have a knock-on effect for the football team in this supposed battle for  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Hearts_FC" rel="nofollow - hearts  and minds.

We are given the same spiel when the rugby provinces deliver on a blue-chip http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Heineken_Cup" rel="nofollow - Heineken Cup  weekend.

It suggests that the empty seats at  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Aviva_Stadium" rel="nofollow - Lansdowne Road  for soccer internationals, a product of bad pricing and an unattractive style of play, have been vacated by people who are now devoted to the sliotar or the oval ball.

That may be true in the corporate world, an area that seems to have an unhealthy number of lifelong rugby fans who discovered the sport in their early 30s, but it is simply not the case when it comes to the general areas of the ground.

There are plenty of disillusioned football fans out there who who could fill Lansdowne 10 times over if they were happy with the state of the national team. They were deeply frustrated by the Trapattoni era and chose to keep their money in their pockets.

The disaffected congregation extends from embattled League of Ireland followers to people who save their cash for trips to  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/England_national_football_team" rel="nofollow - England . Take the Dublin Decider as an example, the glorified  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Celtic_FC" rel="nofollow - Celtic - http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Liverpool_F.C." rel="nofollow - Liverpool  friendly which sold out in minutes.

Similarly, the launch of the  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/UEFA_Champions_League" rel="nofollow - Champions League  group stages this week will show the lure of Messi,  http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Ronaldo" rel="nofollow - Ronaldo , Van Persie and Co is as strong as ever. It will dominate Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and keep pubs in business through the winter. The challenge for the FAI is to tap into the appetite that exists.

In participation terms, their sport is still the pacesetter, and the weight of national news coverage which accompanied Trapattoni's departure last week asserts that, ultimately, the Irish football team has the power to generate more discussion than any other sporting unit in this country, even if that chat manifests itself in the form of an underhanded swipe from the righteous.

What is it they say is the only thing worse than being talked about?

For the Abbotstown brains trust, the hope is that a new manager delivers in the short term, while they must prioritise speaking to the right people – http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Brian_Kerr" rel="nofollow - Brian Kerr  springs to mind – about concocting a coherent long-term strategy.

There will be occasional battles with their counterparts over elite players but that's about as far as the competition goes.

The success or otherwise of other sports is irrelevant to their next step. Certainly, a challenging time lies ahead, yet they can progress safe in the knowledge that the latent support is there.

Their priority has to be getting their own house in order. Put that right and they'll have no reason to worry about the neighbours.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 1:55pm
Fed up to death of this. Even the Sunday Game football lads are now competing against the Sunday Game hurling lads.

They're all different sports, get over it!

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 2:23pm
Sunday game twats even compared hurling to Wimbledon tennis one day.    Gaa people have a constant need to knock other sports.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 2:32pm

Lads this is done to death - we dont live in a homogenous society although i do believe that football fans despise the GAA more than the other way round........

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Sunday game twats even compared hurling to Wimbledon tennis one day.    Gaa people have a constant need to knock other sports.
Indeed. All GAA people love to knock other sports but especially the evil sacar. Association football people on the other hand never do this. 

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:47pm
To be fair I think people from both sport's knock each other equally.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I never hear football pundits knocking the GAA??

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

I agree-Sure Eamon Dunphy always spouts out something about the Kilkenny hurlers are wonderful...

I visit towns around the country weekly I can safely say there is an anti Ireland soccer team vibe in many parts , more so than just anti soccer. Often seen EPL on in GAA clubs.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:59pm

Well I wouldn't expect Gary Lineker or Jamie Redknapp have a good enough knowledge of GAA to be knocking it... I'm talking about general fans here, for every GAA fan accusing soccer people of playing a women's sport, there's a soccer fan telling him he's only playing bogball.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 10:55pm
I have to say I really enjoy both sports.

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

I have to say I really enjoy both sports.

Get off the fence

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 10:43pm

Not as much as the hurling lads, I agree.  but you only have to look at Ciaran Whelans recent tweet which was aired on the SG the night of the AI hurling final, the article by Pat Spillane in last weekends SW.

Its an aspect of the gaa i despise.  Always have ever since I regularly came across this type of attitude as a young lad playing gaa.  The amazing thing is the gaa is the leading sports organisation in the country that has a fantastic product, under marketed by the gaa, it doesnt need to try to put down other sports.  Reality is the Irish football team, the EPL, rugby will always have a large draw in Ireland and rightly so - enough room for all.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 7:14pm
I really am beginning to hate the GAA, the down right disregard for local soccer in this country by them is sickening.

The Laois under 21 championship fixture between Portarlington and Graiguecullen takes place at 12:00 on Sunday. 

Despite the fact most soccer leagues down the country play on Sunday mornings.

Missing 5 players as a result Angry

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:13pm
Why would the GAA legislate for soccer fixtures and vice versa? I've seen the exact opposite situation where GAA teams lose players to soccer. At the end of the day it's all down to the individual players personal choice and nothing much more. As I said 3 years ago on this thread, any complaints you can make about one sport is equally applicable to the othe, and that's still just as true.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:37am
They've been doing it for a few years now. A few years ago they brought in U15 & U17 Championships after the U14 & U16's finished, I was told direct by a county board member that one of the reasons for it was to prolong the GAA season and interfere with the soccer on Saturdays. The GAA has turned into a 10/11 month sport now underage there's that many different leagues/championships going on. There were 2 top sides that came tru the MSL that moved to U17's in the CCFL this year but both teams fell apart due to the GAA, some intercounty Fr Manning Cup being fixed for every Saturday in October left both sides unable to field teams until mid-November. I know the GAA gets more serious as they get older but they're pitting it directly against the soccer with their fixing of games on Saturday afternoons. They don't care though which is fair enough from their side but tough on the players/clubs left losing good teams

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:44am
Let them. The reality is that overall they lose a great deal more players to the national game than football lose to the GAA. If individual administrators at local level are too thick to see this we should actively encourage it.

-------------

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:49pm
GAA v FAI is an outdated concept!

Get your house in order and the players will come. Summer leagues should be the norm across all football. More players will come out to play and there will be plenty of footballers to go around. you will lose some and you will gain some but at least the guys u get will be more committed. Short term pain, long term gain.

Cooperation between both codes is the only way forward. It could even go as far as sharing the physical training and having the technical sports specific done by each club (in smaller communities this would make sense).

The dinosaurs are dying out on both sides thank god!

Facilities sharing, same colours (reduce cost for young lads) etc needs to be the way forward.

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:55pm
And which sports body bans the sharing of facilities?

While we all agree that cooperation makes sense, the sports body refusing to do so are the ones losing players. There are more footballers than stickswingers and bogballers combined, twice as much if you add 5/7 aside and bounce games. They are losing, short and long term gain overall for us.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Get your house in order and the players will come. Summer leagues should be the norm across all football. More players will come out to play and there will be plenty of footballers to go around. you will lose some and you will gain some but at least the guys u get will be more committed. Short term pain, long term gain.

Cooperation between both codes is the only way forward. It could even go as far as sharing the physical training and having the technical sports specific done by each club (in smaller communities this would make sense).

Facilities sharing, same colours (reduce cost for young lads) etc needs to be the way forward.
There are a lot of houses in great order but are still losing players & teams, the draw of making a county panel is a big draw. As for the rest of your post, not a hope of that happening

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm

Why would the GAA legislate for soccer fixtures and vice versa? I've seen the exact opposite situation where GAA teams lose players to soccer. At the end of the day it's all down to the individual players personal choice and nothing much more. As I said 3 years ago on this thread, any complaints you can make about one sport is equally applicable to the othe, and that's still just as true.

The Oracle has spoken....

My problem is that most leagues down the country take place on Sunday mornings, the GAA are fully aware of this too. 

The Carlow League for argument sake has 4 Laois side's in it's 9 team Premier Division (my team being one of them) . 6 Laois clubs in total play in the Carlow League.

A small bit of common sense from the Laois county board could have come into play given the fact the soccer season is firmly in full flow, not to mention every senior and intermediate club in Laois would have excellent floodlights that would easily be able to cater for a midweek match. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:49pm

"Our house" couldn't be ran any better or more professionally for a Junior club. 

Kildare is able to cope with that demand given it's population, it would never work in the likes of Carlow.

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:05pm
Why would or should any sporting organisation try to facilitate a rival?

Seems completely illogical for them to cater for other sports.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Why would or should any sporting organisation try to facilitate a rival?

Seems completely illogical for them to cater for other sports.

Very simple, it's better to have a good understanding and working relationship, than conflict.

What is this the stone age? Why can't there be some sort of communication? 

It's a first round match in the Laois under 21 championship, if it were a Final or even a Semi Final I could understand completely. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:28pm
A small one team club called Milford on the outskirts of Carlow Town, over the last year or two got new state of the art Floodlights and Dressing Rooms from GAA grants.

They can't even get the numbers up to compete in the Carlow Junior B championship.

I rang their club secretary because we don't want the lads training on Astro Turf all year round, so thinking because its idle we might be able to pay a fee every night we need it to use the facilities.

He informed me that while he would love to see it being used the GAA won't allow any other sports to lease it. 

So the field is now being used by cows to graze on it, while top of the range floodlights and dressing rooms are never used.

-------------

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:11pm
The GAA's fixture calendar is a mess, goes on far too long and completelys disregards its own players. The primary cause of this is club games being cancelled due to county players being unavailable.

There's no big anti soccer agenda at play.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:21pm
Yeah I'm sorry GD, but the GAA's fixtures are such a mess they clash with each other, let alone worrying about other sports. I'm sure there's many other sports are cursing the local soccer team for taking players away every weekend too.

It's a bit tin hat to be considering it a intentional conspiracy against football. Each sport just has to put it's best foot forward and the players will follow whatever they enjoy most.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

The GAA's fixture calendar is a mess, goes on far too long and completelys disregards its own players. The primary cause of this is club games being cancelled due to county players being unavailable.

The Laois senior football championship starts on the last weekend in July, bearing in mind Laois are usually well gone out of the Championship by late June, early July.

The county board ran an under 17 Championship as well as a minor Championship this year, the under 21 Championship is only getting underway this weekend the 3rd weekend in October. 

There may not be an obvious agenda per say, but they have f**k all disregard for player welfare. 

But it was down right ignorance that they decided to run this fixture on a Sunday morning forcing young lads to pick between soccer and gaelic, when they could easily accommodate a fixture any other day in the week. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:30pm
Why don't ye try to rearrange your game?

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah I'm sorry GD, but the GAA's fixtures are such a mess they clash with each other, let alone worrying about other sports. I'm sure there's many other sports are cursing the local soccer team for taking players away every weekend too.

It's a bit tin hat to be considering it a intentional conspiracy against football. Each sport just has to put it's best foot forward and the players will follow whatever they enjoy most.

I could have used Rugby either? Given how it's played on Sunday morning's mostly too.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:35pm

Why don't ye try to rearrange your game?

The Laois county board decided to re-arrange the fixture on Sunday evening for this Sunday, we need minimum 9 days to request a fixture change. 

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:47pm
That's hardly the GAAs problem.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That's hardly the GAAs problem.

Did I say it was Confused

I answered a question that was put to me.

The problem is certain members from this side of the county on the Laois county board would be fully aware of the amount of young men in the county who play their soccer in the Carlow league but pressed ahead with playing a first round under 21 championship fixture on a Sunday afternoon at 12 o'clock. 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 8:55am
I was at an open meeting for GAA Clubs in Down a few years ago and a lot of the talk was about getting more blitz tournament played longer into the autumn and winter and on Saturday and Sunday mornings to stop the kids playing the other sports.
Its competition really. No sport has any reason to consider other sports.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The Laois senior football championship starts on the last weekend in July, bearing in mind Laois are usually well gone out of the Championship by late June, early July.

The county board ran an under 17 Championship as well as a minor Championship this year, the under 21 Championship is only getting underway this weekend the 3rd weekend in October. 

There may not be an obvious agenda per say, but they have f**k all disregard for player welfare. 

But it was down right ignorance that they decided to run this fixture on a Sunday morning forcing young lads to pick between soccer and gaelic, when they could easily accommodate a fixture any other day in the week. 

I agree there is a total disregard for players, their 'spare time' and welfare. There are several county finals taking place in October even though their respective county teams have been out of the championship since July. The whole fixture structure within the GAA is set up to facilitate 0.5% of the player population.

I reckon the soccer match wouldn't have even crossed the Laois county boards mind when they decided the fixture date above. Certainly very frustrating for everyone involved but I think there is a far more fundamental problem in relation to GAA seasons and fixing of games.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I was at an open meeting for GAA Clubs in Down a few years ago and a lot of the talk was about getting more blitz tournament played longer into the autumn and winter and on Saturday and Sunday mornings to stop the kids playing the other sports.

True. But when a sport actively goes out of their way to mess with other sports, whether it be at official level (the ban, rule 42) or local level (moving games to clash), then the narrative changes.

Personally I blame the state here. They gave the GAA and only the GAA land in the 20's, put a tax on non GAA match tickets and routed that money to the GAA to let them develop facilities and provided nearly all the public money provided for facilities the majority of Irish sports people will never be allowed use.

Where would we be if the state took the French approach and built a municipal facility in every village for all sports to share and contribute to the upkeep?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:33am

In the GAA's defence they are only interested in their own sport which is fair enough, anything they can do to have lads playing their sport and not another one then they'll do it. I just think it's wrong at underage level. Kids are encouraged to play sports and shouldn't have to choose which one until they get older. That's not being made possible by the GAA and their seemingly endless season as its become the last few years. The U15 & U17 championships are they're purely to interfere with the soccer season and I was told that by a county board member when they started a few years back. It'll never happen but its a pity the governing bodies cant work together for underage players and not be putting them in positions where they have to choose one over the other at such a young age.

Feel your pain GD but its never going to change unfortunately. I suppose it gets less sympathy at an older age and people just have to choose which one they're going to play, I just don't think it should be that way at underage level.

It took some rural teams in Kildare a long time to recover from the change to summer soccer and some big sides struggled for a few years, were even relegated but now they have their panel of players and don't have any gaa distractions. It definitely has its benefits even though it would have a big initial impact on a lot of teams. Mayo have been doing it for years too as far as I know

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:35am

True. But when a sport actively goes out of their way to mess with other sports, whether it be at official level (the ban, rule 42) or local level (moving games to clash), then the narrative changes.

Personally I blame the state here. They gave the GAA and only the GAA land in the 20's, put a tax on non GAA match tickets and routed that money to the GAA to let them develop facilities and provided nearly all the public money provided for facilities the majority of Irish sports people will never be allowed use.

Where would we be if the state took the French approach and built a municipal facility in every village for all sports to share and contribute to the upkeep?
Spot on

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

In the GAA's defence they are only interested in their own sport which is fair enough, anything they can do to have lads playing their sport and not another one then they'll do it. I just think it's wrong at underage level. Kids are encouraged to play sports and shouldn't have to choose which one until they get older. That's not being made possible by the GAA and their seemingly endless season as its become the last few years. The U15 & U17 championships are they're purely to interfere with the soccer season and I was told that by a county board member when they started a few years back. It'll never happen but its a pity the governing bodies cant work together for underage players and not be putting them in positions where they have to choose one over the other at such a young age.

Feel your pain GD but its never going to change unfortunately. I suppose it gets less sympathy at an older age and people just have to choose which one they're going to play, I just don't think it should be that way at underage level.

It took some rural teams in Kildare a long time to recover from the change to summer soccer and some big sides struggled for a few years, were even relegated but now they have their panel of players and don't have any gaa distractions. It definitely has its benefits even though it would have a big initial impact on a lot of teams. Mayo have been doing it for years too as far as I know

The GAA Congress doesn't consider reasonable proposals from it's own membership to sort out the fixture diary so it's insane to think they are going to sit down with what is essentially a rival organisation when scheduling games.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:32am
And no-one is asking them to. But when they deliberately move games to clash with football....

-------------

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
Some amount of tin foil hats here

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Rule 42 is a conspiracy theory?

-------------

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm

There are a lot of houses in great order but are still losing players & teams, the draw of making a county panel is a big draw. As for the rest of your post, not a hope of that happening

Yes and no! You overall point holds true. I don't dispute it is a long road BUT it is changing and I disagree with the not a hope attitude. Change can be slow. My point is about increasing the player pool.

Where I live they are gaa mad however the Soccer is number 1. My little lad trains for soccer on a gaa all weather facility. The rugby club also shares it facility. The Tri/Athletics/cycling club etc all share resources. And the funny thing is for a small town they have people on national squads in every code, the rugby team is successful and so are the soccer and the gaa. It seems to be a model that works.

I am a blow in where i live so I am looking at this in amazement. Where I am from originally I could never have seen it working. Apart from the houses being in great order clubs have to build working relationships. This all goes to the leadership involved but it is not rocket science that it has to be mutually beneficial. 

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:25pm

I know plenty of GAA clubs who allow the use of their facilities for soccer purposes. It occurs regularly in regards to Astroturf pitches and 5-a side.

You also see GAA clubs and Soccer clubs putting in joint bids in for rounds of the sports capital grant programme. For instance in 2012 Fingal County Council, O'Dwyers GAA club and Balbriggan F.C. received €120,000 for the construction of an all-weather facility.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:14pm

The idea that Laois GAA sit down with an underage football fixture list and rearrange their fixtures to clash with them is

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The idea that Laois GAA sit down with an underage football fixture list and rearrange their fixtures to clash with them is
Arranging games for Saturday mornings or early afternoons in October knowing well the soccer season is in full swing is not a conspiracy theory. Development squads with no games or training for 4 weeks but then games every Saturday for 6 weeks tru September-November isn't either

Look, they're looking after their best interests and that's grand. All that's been said is that they're putting underage players in awkward positions and making them choose one over the other at a young age which shouldn't be the case

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 1:37pm

Spot on
+1

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:12pm

[/QUOTE] True. But when a sport actively goes out of their way to mess with other sports, whether it be at official level (the ban, rule 42) or local level (moving games to clash), then the narrative changes.

[/QUOTE]
What clubs and county boards received land?

-------------

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:30pm

I know plenty of GAA clubs who allow the use of their facilities for soccer purposes. It occurs regularly in regards to Astroturf pitches and 5-a side.

You also see GAA clubs and Soccer clubs putting in joint bids in for rounds of the sports capital grant programme. For instance in 2012 Fingal County Council, O'Dwyers GAA club and Balbriggan F.C. received €120,000 for the construction of an all-weather facility.

Yeah but RTID knows of another club who didn't and therefore it applies to ALL GAA clubs Wink

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Yeah but RTID knows of another club who didn't and therefore it applies to ALL GAA clubs Wink
GAA club where I am from certainly didn't. LOL Used to deliberately move underage fixtures to clash with football matches in the belief that parents would choose the GAA.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:44pm

Rule 42 should be scrapped in my opinion

I was referring to the posts accusing the GAA of fixing games to clash with junior football games.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:58pm

I was referring to the posts accusing the GAA of fixing games to clash with junior football games.

Hold up a second.

I never once said the GAA deliberately fixed the under 21 game to disrupt the soccer, I said no harm they actually put a bit of thought into their logic for playing a first round fixture on an early Sunday afternoon.

Would it not tweak with the person who does out fixtures that many young lads play soccer on Sundays is my point.

Just a bit of simple logic and communication would go a long long way at local level between various sports codes.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:04pm

You also see GAA clubs and Soccer clubs putting in joint bids in for rounds of the sports capital grant programme. For instance in 2012 Fingal County Council, O'Dwyers GAA club and Balbriggan F.C. received €120,000 for the construction of an all-weather facility. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt; text-align: justify; line-height: 200%;"><span style='line-height: 200%; font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt;'><o:p></o:p></span> 

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

My local GAA club refuses point blank to let us use their facilities even one evening a week during the winter despite my soccer club offering to pay a hefty fee to use them.

Never mind the fact our soccer club has a massive amount of members belonging to Gaa club....

The GAA club have a massive debt but yet wont entertain the idea of getting extra income from allowing our soccer club to train there.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:13pm

Hold up a second.

I never once said the GAA deliberately fixed the under 21 game to disrupt the soccer, I said no harm they actually put a bit of thought into their logic for playing a first round fixture on an early Sunday afternoon.

Would it not tweak with the person who does out fixtures that many young lads play soccer on Sundays is my point.

Just a bit of simple logic and communication would go a long long way at local level between various sports codes.

So why don't the soccer club open the lines of communication with the local GAA club?

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:16pm

Hold up a second.

So why don't the soccer club open the lines of communication with the local GAA club?
Probably because they're about as open to negotiation as ISIS are

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:17pm

[/QUOTE]

My local GAA club refuses point blank to let us use their facilities even one evening a week during the winter despite my soccer club offering to pay a hefty fee to use them.

Never mind the fact our soccer club has a massive amount of members belonging to Gaa club....

The GAA club have a massive debt but yet wont entertain the idea of getting extra income from allowing our soccer club to train there.

[/QUOTE]
They would be breaking the rules of their own association if they did so and would liable for a fine. I believe a GAA club in Longford received a fine of approx €3,000 recently so this would do little to help your GAA's club financial situation.

I agree that the rule is draconian and should be amended but you can hardly blame your local GAA club for merely complying a rule it's obliged to uphold.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:19pm
Hey Muldoons, the game is Football not Soccer.
By even calling it Soccer you are doing the Galibans bidding.

But I love the Gah, it makes me feel so so oirish.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:20pm
Really???

I must have dreamt being at rugby and soccer matches in Croke Park then.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:26pm

Hold up a second.

Every club in Laois have high quality floodlights thus allowing them to play a match any night of the week all year round. I would struggle to name a handful of soccer clubs in Carlow and Laois that have floodlights of the required standard to host evening games so as a result league fixtures don't vary, they are every Sunday morning and afternoon.

We've also tried to open communication about using their facilities and they"re having none of it.

We're approaching November and the season is still going. No issue with that but it'd be nice if fixtures were planned to cater for other sports that's all.

A very simple problem could be solved if there was proper communication between codes.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
I think we're all just using anecdotal evidence to try and tarnish/whiten either side.

The truth is that for every **** you have within one  sporting organisation who's not in favour of engaging with another organisation, you'll find the opposite in some other part of the country.

Not to mention in some cases you have people involved in committees of competing sporting codes.  

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm

In direct violation of the GAA's rules

And Dalkey FC and Cuala share. We all agree this is good. But its a new GAA club with no land on an existing football facility in Dalkey and public land in Balbriggan. None of this sharing happens on their land or outside Dublin.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm

Really???

I must have dreamt being at rugby and soccer football matches in Croke Park then.

This was a once off deal. Huge argument in the GAA as to why Croker can cash in but local clubs can't.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:01pm

In direct violation of the GAA's rules

And Dalkey FC and Cuala share. We all agree this is good. But its a new GAA club with no land on an existing football facility in Dalkey and public land in Balbriggan. None of this sharing happens on their land or outside Dublin.
Wrong again
http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/190780/Limerick-GAA-clubs-warned-against-use.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/190780/Limerick-GAA-clubs-warned-against-use.html

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm
Did you read the link? It completely proves my point. Grassroots GAA units cannot rent their facilities to 'foreign games' whereas the GAA can rent Croke Park out if and when they want.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm

[/QUOTE]
They would be breaking the rules of their own association if they did so and would liable for a fine. I believe a GAA club in Longford received a fine of approx €3,000 recently so this would do little to help your GAA's club financial situation.

I agree that the rule is draconian and should be amended but you can hardly blame your local GAA club for merely complying a rule it's obliged to uphold.
[/QUOTE]
I think that was for allowing a Jamie Carragher Summer Camp be played on their astro, near sure he paid the fine for them afterwards? In fairness there's dozens of clubs allowing their facilities to be used for non-GAA sports and have been for years

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm
Of course I read it, the third paragraph said that a Limerick club let a soccer team use their facilities and also hosted a rugby blitz.

I merely pointed out that you were wrong in saying that no sharing goes on outside of Dublin.

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:41pm

Of course I read it, the third paragraph said that a Limerick club let a soccer team use their facilities and also hosted a rugby blitz.

I merely pointed out that you were wrong in saying that no sharing goes on outside of Dublin.

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity.
You're right, it's not and they don't have to. What people are saying is that they should, especially during the winter months and make a few bob for themselves whilst giving other sports some good facilities to train or play on. Running a GAA club is an expensive business so wouldn't it be great to be able to make some extra income from renting out their astro facilities or the likes and using the money to help run the clubs?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:42pm

And they got lashed out of it for doing so.

I still don't see why people think the GAA should open their grounds to everyone, its not a charity
Because the underlying reasons for the blanket rule is sporting apartheid. They took huge state support other sports were denied and then used that artificial advantage to try and drive other sports under.

If an individual club wants to rent to another sport they should be allowed. If they chose not to they should be allowed. But why Croke Park do not allow them to make decisions of this nature while reserving the right to do it is the question you should be asking.

-------------

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:49pm
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html

About time they're getting a taste of their own medicine

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/louth-gaa-counting-cost-of-dundalks-incredible-rise-35145527.html

I've noticed a rapid decline at adult level in my own club over the last few years, at one stage around 2011 or 2012 my village club had a Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior C team competing in Championship football. 

There's only a struggling Senior team and a bog standard Junior A team now.

Lads are walking away from Gaelic football in the locality in their droves, I myself was a very passionate club man but from seeing the politics, the clan mentality, the blatant pull on team selections on match days etc I had to walk away from it. The fact the GAA club's field and floodlights are rarely used from October to March to point blank refuse to allow many of it's members who happen to play for the local soccer team to even use it one night a week while getting well paid for it, just burnt all bridges with me and that GAA club. 

There is genuine fear down the country about soccer taking over, you can see it first in hand in Carlow Town and just over the bridge in Laois how big these soccer clubs are growing and you have established GAA clubs like Graiguecullen, The Blues etc really struggling to get even 15 boys up training of a summers evening. 

Yet my own soccer club between two teams would have minimum 25+ a night training mid week in Winter. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:03am

I've noticed a rapid decline at adult level in my own club over the last few years, at one stage around 2011 or 2012 my village club had a Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior C team competing in Championship football. 

Lads are walking away from Gaelic football in the locality in their droves, I myself was a very passionate club man but from seeing the politics, the clan mentality, the blatant pull on team selections on match days etc I had to walk away from it. The fact the GAA club's field and floodlights are rarely used from October to March to point blank refuse to allow many of it's members who happen to play for the local soccer team to even use it one night a week while getting well paid for it, just burnt all bridges with me and that GAA club. 

There is genuine fear down the country about soccer taking over, you can see it first in hand in Carlow Town and just over the bridge in Laois how big these soccer clubs are growing and you have established GAA clubs like Graiguecullen, The Blues etc really struggling to get even 15 boys up training of a summers evening. 

Yet my own soccer club between two teams would have minimum 25+ a night training mid week in Winter. 

And if the GAA clubs are struggling why from their perspective should they help out the thriving soccer clubs?

-------------

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 8:33am

Hold up a second.

Probably because they're about as open to negotiation as ISIS are

LOL

While this might be a little harsh on some of the more progressive GAA clubs my own experience of dealing with them is that, for many, the sense of entitlement and 'grab all' mentality is still alive and well.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:32am

And if the GAA clubs are struggling why from their perspective should they help out the thriving soccer clubs?

Firstly, my local GAA club owes massive money so they are deep in debt. So they should be looking at ways of making an income in the off season.

Secondly, the soccer team I manage (myself included) have about 14/15 members of this Gaa club from a panel of 20 players.

Thirdly, it's self inflicted as to why the Gaa club are losing players at an alarming rate due to the clan mentality in it currently. This isn't our fault as a soccer club. I would actually communicate with the local GAA club in regard to training and match days no bother to help ease the problem of lads wanting to play both sports.

So it's not as if we're being the impossible ones to deal with here.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:35am

Money.

The point is that GAA clubs aren't even allowed make a decision after weighing up the pros and cons due to the policy of the organisation, which is happy to make money on Croke Park, especially since there will be less and less central funding.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/mounting-gaa-concern-over-the-decline-in-attendances-1.2737954" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/mounting-gaa-concern-over-the-decline-in-attendances-1.2737954

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/revealed-the-attendance-figures-for-the-gaa-football-championships-are-a-cause-for-concern-35145508.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/revealed-the-attendance-figures-for-the-gaa-football-championships-are-a-cause-for-concern-35145508.html

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 4:40pm
I never had an issue with this as a child or teenager and  I played Rugby, GAA, football the later of the two I played at a high standard. 

I come from a small rural community our GAA club and football club work hand in hand, most in the club would of played for the soccer club. The issue seems to keep popping up, I always found those at the head of rugby clubs the easiest to work with. Football and GAA feel they are at war with each other competing for the attendance of players we're a fairly small country, both sports are played at different times too! It's not hard for the coaches of the local clubs to agree a training schedule together taking into account players need to study for exams, and they'll also have school training I know in our school we'd of trained at 7am so fellas could of got back home for the GAA training or football. 

GAA attendances are dropping for various reasons, prices mainly.. it is an amateur sport, it is part of the admiration for the game it is also possibly the last true sport played purely for the love of it however the GAA seem adamant to continue to hike up prices, thats before taking into account the unfair distribution of money throughout the counties, clubs. Mayo should receive as much for their hurling as Kilkenny does and Waterford the same amount of funding as the Dublin footballers get, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  

This nonsense of not letting football clubs use facilities has to change also, purely end up hating Gaelic football and the GAA due to it, Rugby clubs throughout the country rent their facilities to all sports even in a unionist areas you will find a GAA club using a their local rugby clubs facilities if they don't have them. 

Surely a common sense approach fixes, and irons out all these issues. If not I only see the support of GAA declining slowly as time goes on, rugby is starting to be introduced into catholic grammar schools up north now too 3 sports to pick from and two are war with each other. Stupid.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 5:10pm
The GAA is the establishment sporting organisation in this country not rugby, athletics, soccer, rowing etc. All given massive grants, plots of land etc. 

So it's no surprise that even your bog standard average GAA club would have better facilities than a lot of the top soccer teams in certain counties. 

I'm not asking my local GAA club to give my team discount on beers in the clubhouse, the use of their players gym etc. But to allow us use of half the senior pitch and floodlights for an hour a week during the off season, which we would pay them handsomely for. 

TBF Carlow Rugby Club have allowed numerous soccer clubs use of their pitches and facilities Clap

We're blessed we have Carlow IT on our doorstep, they have some of the best soccer facilities in the country but to train there for 3 hours a week it's costing €160. 

-------------

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:08pm
GAA is f**king sh*te. You only have to look at what they do for 'training' to see how sh*te it is. They just hoof the ball back and forward to each other to practice kicking and catching and do endless handpassing drills. Absolute muck.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:17am
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

GAA is f**king sh*te. You only have to look at what they do for 'training' to see how sh*te it is. They just hoof the ball back and forward to each other to practice kicking and catching and do endless handpassing drills. Absolute muck.

You're comparing an amateur sport v a professional sport. There is a great amount of skill involved in Gaelic football as there is in hurling. Don't be pathetic.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 2:25am
It would make sense for the GAA to open up to soccer, they'd make a rake of money.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:00am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

You're comparing an amateur sport v a professional sport
. There is a great amount of skill involved in Gaelic football as there is in hurling. Don't be pathetic.

No I'm not. I'm comparing my local amateur soccer and GAA clubs. Theres f**k all skill in Gaelic football, although hurling is a fine sport. 

I'd bet a team of Premier league goalkeepers with a few weeks training would beat a county side in a Gaelic football match. Awful stuff

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:54am

The GAA is the establishment sporting organisation in this country not rugby, athletics, soccer, rowing etc. All given massive grants, plots of land etc. 

So it's no surprise that even your bog standard average GAA club would have better facilities than a lot of the top soccer teams in certain counties. 

I'm not asking my local GAA club to give my team discount on beers in the clubhouse, the use of their players gym etc. But to allow us use of half the senior pitch and floodlights for an hour a week during the off season, which we would pay them handsomely for. 

TBF Carlow Rugby Club have allowed numerous soccer clubs use of their pitches and facilities Clap

We're blessed we have Carlow IT on our doorstep, they have some of the best soccer facilities in the country but to train there for 3 hours a week it's costing €160. 

What GAA clubs and county boards were given plots of land?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:17am

So ye would pay the GAA handsomely but ye are giving out about paying Carlow IT €160 for 3 hours

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:25am

So ye would pay the GAA handsomely but ye are giving out about paying Carlow IT €160 for 3 hours

Who was giving out about paying Carlow IT , I merely told people the price Confused

It's only €50 to run floodlights for nearly two hours do the maths. 

I'd also rather to have a working relationship with the local GAA club and would rather give them the money than Carlow IT a multi million pound organisation seeing how most of my team are members of the GAA club.

You're obviously just being outrageously petty for the sake it.......

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:28am

What GAA clubs and county boards were given plots of land?

Portlaoise GAA Thumbs Up

The county board wanted to take over the back pitches around O'Moore Park.

-------------

Posted By: muscles
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:30am

That says more about the coaches at your local gaa club than the sport itself and anyway imagine practsisng kicking and catching for a game that involves let me see, oh ya, kicking and catching Wacko

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net