You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zombie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Should Zombie be played after sporting victories
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [61.76%]
26 [38.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zombie
    Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:02am
Let’s take the discussion here 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:03am
sh*te song in my view but I wouldn’t get offended by a song 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:06am
Much better choices if you ask me.

sh*te song.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:06am
Far better Cranberries songs too for that matter 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Far better Cranberries songs too for that matter 

When you’re gone Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 10:23am
Limerick GAA seem to play Dreams a good bit which is a better son but maybe not a sing a long song.  
AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:07am
Both brilliant songs Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:12am
Why are the Irish fighting up in the North? Bloody Sunday, internment, shankhill butchers, being treated as a second class citizen etc it's all in their head! Bunch of zombies. Partitionist nonsense written by someone a long way from where it happened in her cosy Limerick world.
Danger here, OH NO
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:29am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Why are the Irish fighting up in the North? Bloody Sunday, internment, shankhill butchers, being treated as a second class citizen etc it's all in their head! Bunch of zombies. Partitionist nonsense written by someone a long way from where it happened in her cosy Limerick world.
Warrington, Northern Ireland 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:30am

Written at a time when support for campaign was waining, and at the same time as the Peace Process was gathering pace. Does context mean anything to people?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:35am
This tweet from Tadhg Hickey hereunder sums it up perfectly for me. Even if you were to leave that issue aside, it's just not really a sporting anthem.

Tadhg
@TadhgHickey
·
13h
Zombie is the perfect partitionist anthem. It encapsulates the complete lack of understanding or even basic compassion in the south for the lived experience of Northern nationalists. 

"But you see, it's not me
It's not my family"
Idah Dream!
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:35am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Warrington, Northern Ireland 

Dublin, Monaghan

In your head
Danger here, OH NO
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:42am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

This tweet from Tadhg Hickey hereunder sums it up perfectly for me. Even if you were to leave that issue aside, it's just not really a sporting anthem.

Tadhg
@TadhgHickey
·
13h
Zombie is the perfect partitionist anthem. It encapsulates the complete lack of understanding or even basic compassion in the south for the lived experience of Northern nationalists. 

It's not my family"

Tadhg is also ignoring the context in which the song was written. It’s pointless having this discussion if people want to ignore it. But once again it’s reduced down to Celtic Symphony - Good, Zombie- Bad.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:45am
Lads here singing it in Athens 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:46am

Tadhg
@TadhgHickey
·
13h

It's not my family"

Bullsh*t. That lyric could just as easily be attributed to any of the many, many people in the north who lived through the troubles and decided against bombing and killing innocent people.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:49am

Even if you were to leave that issue aside, it's just not really a sporting anthem.

How so? Sporting anthems are adopted in many ways and for many reasons. A lot of the most famous ones would have little to do with sport.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:52am
If f**king Freed From Desire can be a sporting anthem, then anything can. The requirement is basically just that the song has a simple,.catchy, well known chorus that everyone in a stadium can sing along to.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Tadhg
@TadhgHickey
·
13h

It's not my family"

Tadhg is also ignoring the context in which the song was written. It’s pointless having this discussion if people want to ignore it. But once again it’s reduced down to Celtic Symphony - Good, Zombie- Bad.

Nonsense, I havent suggested they should be singing Celtic Symphony. 

And context doesnt really matter here (or with Celtic Symphony) - if large numbers of Northern Nationalists believe the song to be offensive (and they do), then why on earth do Irish fans choose to sing it.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic