You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your player of the Qualifiers & Play offs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your player of the Qualifiers & Play offs
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:05am
A lot of credit has to go to O'Neill that there really is a lot of options here. Everyone will plumb for Walters but aside from him there are a lot of other side candidates. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:14am
Probably Walters
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:16am
Jon Walters. No other player to even match his consistency during this campaign. Simply has to be him.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 18 Nov 2015 at 12:17am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:18am
Gonna name a few here

1. Can't be anyone else really; Big Bad Jon Walters Clap Brilliant last night. My MOTM v the Germans, brilliant again there. Winner against Georgia, scored v Scotland. So key to this team and will absolutely burst a lung getting to every single ball. Power, physicality and undying commitment mixed with a bit of finesse, he defines the team IMO.
2. Shane Long. Got us out of jail v Poland at home. Gave me the best moment in the 15 years or so i've been old enough to properly support Ireland.

There's a lot of heroes out there for us from that campaign. Hendrick for his ball to Johnny in Gelsenkirchen and his moment of genius at home to Georgia. James McClean for embodying the fast and ferocious siege on Poland in the second half in Dublin and that tackle. John O'Shea for scoring at the death to get us a point away. McGeady for beating the Georgians on his own. Wes for being such an inventive and creative schemer for us. Brady in Zenica. Keogh for coming in and being rock solid. 

There are a lot of players to be proud of in that team. But those two mentioned up top will be key to any joy we get out in France.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Nov 2015 at 12:19am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:30am
Walters/Long/Wes. Longs 2 goals vs. Poland and Germany the 2 best atmospheres for celebrating a goal Ive ever been a part of.. Player of the playoffs for me is Richard Keogh closely followed by Walters and Brady
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:50am
aside from Walters I thought Hendrick really stepped up for us at the business end of things. Not forgetting Meyler put in some shift in Gelsenkirchen too, and Randolph deserves credit and the #1 shirt too. 
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:56am
Having been at both, in Zenica i must admit i couldn't see much second half.

Randolph, Brady and Walters. 

Darren Randolph pulls a super double save off in the fog, if that goes in Bosnia 1 - Ireland 0. Different tie. V Germany? Fantastic. The guy now needs club football.

Brady - Welcome to the Big time and we'll leave that there.. since that mistake v Poland he's more then made up for it

Walters - New National Hero? If it was BOD our nation would literally be creaming itself, but when its a lad from Liverpool with an Irish mam he'll never get the credit he deserves. I knew he'd be the difference and by fcuk he was! 

McCarthy v Germany, Meyler away, McGeady in Georgia every game bar Scotland and Poland away a player stood out. 

Last night for me and since Friday, Ciaran Clark stood out a mile.

Edited by SByrne24 - 18 Nov 2015 at 12:57am
An Tiobraideach View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote An Tiobraideach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:03am
I'm gonna give Aiden McGeady a mention here,because he got the ball rolling for us in a difficult match vs Georgia-seems like such a long time ago but without those 3 points we would've finished where Scotland finished.Many other candidates like O'Shea,Hoolahan,Walters,Brady....we've got a great bunch of lads including the lads who have just been brought in.I'm really impressed with Darren Randolph especially because he hardly plays with his club.
But for me,for his goal against the world champions alone,it's gotta be Shane Long.
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:13am
Sorry but anyone who picks anyone other than Walters is clearly clueless. Plenty of other players impacted but none as consistently as him. Massive goals in games v Scotland, Georgia and Bosnia as well as what should have been a huge one had we pushed on away to Poland. And it wasn't just about his goals, his hold up play tu kill the game at home v Germany was as good as you can see. Simply immense. I'd go as far as to say it was the most influential campaign any player has had since Roy Keane in the 02 qualifiers.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:15am
Some great individual performances along the way, especially from some lads who just stepped in to fill a gap in a game or 2, like Christie V Germany , and Ward V Germany (yes!) , the likes of Keogh & Clark made great contributions, Randolph coming in & looking as assured as any veteran with zero experience of high pressure games, Long for the goals V Poland & Germany, Wes kept the show on the road in a lot of games, McCarthy stepped up in certain games to look like the player we think he can be for us, Coleman very consistent, McGeady V Georgia turned out to be crucial, McClean for his positive impact V Poland, Hendrick for some moments of magic & vital assists, but only one winner of this. 

A fcuking hero for us from start to finish of this campaign. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:42am
Walters without a doubt.
Chips don't bounce
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:24am
Lots of honorable mentions of players as posted already but only one man for this. As said the most influential individual performance in a campaign since Keane in '02.

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:33am
Walters no question. Consistently very good, brave, smart, and scores goals.

Young Player of the campaign Jeff Hendrick, been very impressed with him, especially as he was usually slightly out of position
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:33am
Walters

Close thread
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:34am
1 - Walters
2 - Long
3 - Keogh
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:35am
Walters followed by and ever improving Brady.

Edited by horsebox - 18 Nov 2015 at 9:35am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:52am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Walters followed by and ever improving Brady.

This. Obviously walters is a stand out but brady has been a revelation this campaign especially at left back a real problem position for us the last few years. Coleman was really solid to replicating his club form.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:54am
BBJ! Vote over.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic